shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany LIW discussion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 1:35:43 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
LabRatPhD - WOW!!!!! Congratulations. I hope you get your ring from NY soon. That diamond has so much sparkle, you must be over the moon.

Thanks LtlFirecracker! I took that pic under T&Co''s lighting on Friday so the sparkle was blinding, but when we went back yesterday morning, it was overcast outside and my ring still sparkled like crazy. I hope it has a quick and safe journey to and from NYC!
1.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl, you have started a great thread!! I`m not exactly a LIW, but I LOVE Tiffany`s!!! It`s an obsession, actually...
3.gif
And matters were made worse (better?) yesterday when I gently suggested to my DH that I wouldn''t mind getting an upgrade at some stage (I have 0.78 D VS2 princess solitaire from MDX). And he totally out of the blue (no pun intended) said, that he knows deep down I love Tiffany''s and for our 10 year anniversary of being together (which is 2010!) he wants to get me a Tiffany wedding set!!!! I LOVE THIS GUY!!! Lol... so my obsession has pretty much tripled overnight and here I am browsing Tiffany threads at 5.30am...

Labrat, your ring is absolutely amazing!!! I thought I had small fingers (4.5), but your tiny fingers make the diamond pop like crazy!! And it`s so icy white!! It sounds like that was the most memorable Valentine''s day ever!! It sounds like it was fate that they unexpectedly got the 2.03 with the perfect proportions for you. I hope all works out well with your mum and you`ll get engaged soon for his grandma to be part of it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl where are you?????? im waiting on your SOs reaction... and you''ve been gone for awhile....

Sooo now im getting my hopes up
30.gif
36.gif
31.gif

Novopiggy

Rough_Rock
LabRatPhD, all I can say is the ring looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING on your beautiful fingers!
30.gif
30.gif
You made a very good choice !!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:07:17 AM
Author: Blackpaw
Dreamgirl where are you?????? im waiting on your SOs reaction... and you''ve been gone for awhile....

30.gif
36.gif
31.gif
OK LADY cool your jets! lol I haven''t been gone that long, just the weekend and WOW by the way, so many posts in here it''s madness!!!!!
32.gif
But, that''s a good thing
31.gif

Sooooo.....Friday night I told him I needed to talk and asked for permission to come out of my e-ring probation for a moment or 2
27.gif
lol I told him about SA retiring and he was also very dissapointed.
39.gif
He said that''s too bad because he really liked her and felt comfortable with her.

So I asked him: "What do we do now!?"
He said: "I guess I would just have to but "it" (
6.gif
6.gif
31.gif
27.gif
31.gif
) from someone else that is nice and patient. Someone I''m comfortable with..."
all I could remember is him saying ''it'' as in the ring and ''patient'' as in he will take his time buying...along with saying all this giving away that he BETTER buy me a Tiffany ring when he talks like this to me....lol

We talked about how I was building a relationship with her and how bad it stinks that she''s gone. But then we were discussing these other 2 SA''s that we really like at Tiff''s who we have dealt with before and I asked FF what he thinks of them and he agrees that they have always been nice and helpful.

So a while later I asked: "Is there anyone there that you really like as of now?"
and he said: "The 2 that you mentioned!!"
31.gif

Then I told him if they offered my favorite SA some early retirement package....what if the other 2 SA''s retired too?!?
6.gif
Because the one lady is an older woman. She isn''t ''old'' but probably at least late 50''s early 60''s. The other SA is a man who I''d say is late 40''s.....I told him I think we should go to Tiffany and ''scout out'' who is still there and who isn''t...lol He didn''t say anything to that but I''ll bring THAT up again. lol!

Oh......and I told him about the SI1''s that they now offer which I''m not too happy about because they have lowered their standards. That''s actually what I emailed my original SA about because the pricing is lower now and I didn''t know if it was for VS2''s or SI1''s. The person who answerered me back said they only offer SI1''s in the Tiffany Setting right now. I told FF that I don''t think I''m interested in an SI1 because the inclusions could be visible to the eye....I told him I''d rather have VS ''something'' instead. Then I said: "You probably won''t even remember this." to which he replied "YES! I will remember"
30.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
AT LAST!!!
25.gif
that is good news, and wow i cant believe they''re offering SIs? thats crazy. But im sure your SO will remember not to buy you one
30.gif
I must mention that to my SO....i think he thinks he can walk into tiffs and just buy any ring and know that it will be a good one, but maybe that isnt true anymore?

Id prescribe a trip to suss out possible new SAs....and possibly try on some lovelys while you''re there
30.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 4:36:30 PM
Author: chiquitapet
Dreamgirl, you have started a great thread!! I`m not exactly a LIW, but I LOVE Tiffany`s!!! It`s an obsession, actually...
3.gif
And matters were made worse (better?) yesterday when I gently suggested to my DH that I wouldn''t mind getting an upgrade at some stage (I have 0.78 D VS2 princess solitaire from MDX). And he totally out of the blue (no pun intended) said, that he knows deep down I love Tiffany''s and for our 10 year anniversary of being together (which is 2010!) he wants to get me a Tiffany wedding set!!!! I LOVE THIS GUY!!! Lol... so my obsession has pretty much tripled overnight and here I am browsing Tiffany threads at 5.30am...
lol!! That sounds like a very AWESOME and increcible husband you''ve got yourself there! My obsession would tripple as well if I were you! Is there any particular setting that catches you or your DH?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Chiquitapet - thanks for the lovely remarks! I was shocked when my finger was sized. I know I have small hands but this really proves it. I will be talking to my mother tonight so we''ll see what happens!

Novopiggy - I am still drooling over your Novo set! I love the setting on other people so much, but on me, the stones in the band would basically be lost since the ring has to be sized down so much. I thought it was not worth the premium for me. I may be getting the Novo band, though. Thanks for your sweet compliments!

Dreamgirl - Yay! Your SO sounds sold on buying from T&Co! I am disappointed by the dropping of the clarity too. I don''t think it was a wise move at all. It doesn''t make my ring any less special to me, but it does stink that T&Co''s image seems to be shifting. Oh well.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:19:13 PM
AT LAST!!!
25.gif
that is good news, and wow i cant believe they''re offering SIs? thats crazy. But im sure your SO will remember not to buy you one
30.gif
I must mention that to my SO....i think he thinks he can walk into tiffs and just buy any ring and know that it will be a good one, but maybe that isnt true anymore?

Id prescribe a trip to suss out possible new SAs....and possibly try on some lovelys while you''re there
30.gif
Yeah, I noticed it on their website last week sometime. I often check the site these days to see if they have lowered or raised the engagement ring prices. So far, it''s been the same since around November some time (for starting prices anyway) But I saw on the site about SI''s and I was like
23.gif
WHAT?!
40.gif
So that''s how I ended up emailing my favorite SA to ask about it. Becasue then it hit me....what if these lower starting prices online are because of SI''s and not VS2''s....
23.gif
I had to ask. Thank God though that it appears or at least according to this random SA who answered me that it''s based off of VS2''s (for now) anyway...

Yeah, I hope he would remember that. Because I told him I don''t want a diamond with visible flaws...lol (I''ve got some cheapie rings from him that he gave me years and years ago when we didn''t know anything and they have visible flaws it drives me MAD I tell you! lol) He probably would remember.

Yesterday they had one of those cheezy local jewelers commercials on and he has to tease me and point because they sell SI''s and I told him "NO! Just remember anything with a V....no S..." lol I''m sure he will remember.

I hope I could get him to at least go to Tiff''s and look around at whatever to scout out the SA''s. We will have to wait and see....maybe in a couple of weeks? lol
31.gif
Or maybe I shouldn''t push as that sometimes irritates him lol!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:26:24 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
Dreamgirl - Yay! Your SO sounds sold on buying from T&Co! I am disappointed by the dropping of the clarity too. I don''t think it was a wise move at all. It doesn''t make my ring any less special to me, but it does stink that T&Co''s image seems to be shifting. Oh well.
YAY! I know huh. He has put himself in the hole several times mentioning something about buying a ring from Tiffany so he better do it! lol

I agree. I think a lot of this has to do with the economy. But if you think about it, most people who would want to buy a SI probably wouldn''t go into Tiffany thinking they don''t have rings like that. So really....who knows. But, I''m sure there will be plenty of guys who will buy them when intending to buy a Tiffany but then end up getting SI''s because they are cheaper...?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:32:43 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Date: 2/16/2009 12:26:24 PM

YAY! I know huh. He has put himself in the hole several times mentioning something about buying a ring from Tiffany so he better do it! lol

I agree. I think a lot of this has to do with the economy. But if you think about it, most people who would want to buy a SI probably wouldn''t go into Tiffany thinking they don''t have rings like that. So really....who knows. But, I''m sure there will be plenty of guys who will buy them when intending to buy a Tiffany but then end up getting SI''s because they are cheaper...?

I figure it is due to the economy as well, but we were amazed that so many of the 2 ct rings we were interested in, we were on a waitlist for (ranging from G-H in color). People seem interested in costly rings in spite of the economy! We were very fortunate this year in that SO got his usual end-of-the-year bonus and his associate-level raise. If he wouldn''t have, we may have waited to buy the ring (getting my dream ring was more important to SO than it was to me!).

I wonder how much cheaper the SIs in the Tiffany setting will be. The difference in clarity from a VS1 to a VS2 was $3,000 for a 2 ct. For my SO, it was not that big of a deal because he was already spending a ton of money. It may be even less of a difference for smaller-sized stones. So there is a still a pretty heavy mark-up. Those on a tight budget may not spring for a Tiffany SI stone given the mark-up. I don''t know -- I have no clue how well the SI stones will sell; it still just seems like a bad idea.
20.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I put my feelings in the post in RT. I was hoping I wouldn''t offend everyone, they were just my thoughts about me and what I want. But from reading this it sounds like you guys kind of feel the same. What I liked about Tiffany''s was that my diamond clueless BF could walk in and walk out with a nice eye-clean stone. A diamond being eye clean is really important to me. I don''t want to see anything from any angle. I know that is anal. But I tend to fix myself in inclusions. I would rather have a diamond under 1 ct that was eye-clean than a larger stone with an inclusion. The one advantage I thought Tiffany''s had over the vendors we tend to like here online is that all of their stones were eye-clean. When I was buying my diamond earrings at WF, I did not worry at all about cut, color, but I spent many hours looking at the inclusion plots making sure feathers were not in a bad location, there were no black inclusions ect. Tiffany''s used to do all that for you, now they have taken all the statements out saying they are going to do that.

I was already moving away from Tiffany''s for other reasons, but this kind of does it for me. To me, now the only big advantages to buying from there is I know they will be in business for a long time, and their settings are beautiful. The good thing about Tiffany''s adjusting to the economy is that they will survive. Most of their customers are girls who aren''t educated are not thinking about clarity, they are thinking about size. And those who do think about clarity, or are from cultures where that is the most important thing, can still get a VVS from Tiffany''s.

So I guess I am disappointed. But Tiffany''s pays people a lot of money to figure out what most people want. You make more profit selling to the middle class than to the wealthy. There aren''t a lot of wealthy people, and other high end markets are fighting for them. I have no problem with Tiffany''s having a market that reaches to the masses, but they have kind of lost me in the process when it comes to what I want.

Just so you all know, I still love their jewelry and the their settings are some of my favorites. This is not meant to Tiffany bash but to vent my disappointment, because I really can''t vent stuff like this to my friends. They wouldn''t understand.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:51:46 PM
I figure it is due to the economy as well, but we were amazed that so many of the 2 ct rings we were interested in, we were on a waitlist for (ranging from G-H in color). People seem interested in costly rings in spite of the economy! We were very fortunate this year in that SO got his usual end-of-the-year bonus and his associate-level raise. If he wouldn''t have, we may have waited to buy the ring (getting my dream ring was more important to SO than it was to me!).

I wonder how much cheaper the SIs in the Tiffany setting will be. The difference in clarity from a VS1 to a VS2 was $3,000 for a 2 ct. For my SO, it was not that big of a deal because he was already spending a ton of money. It may be even less of a difference for smaller-sized stones. So there is a still a pretty heavy mark-up. Those on a tight budget may not spring for a Tiffany SI stone given the mark-up. I don''t know -- I have no clue how well the SI stones will sell; it still just seems like a bad idea.
20.gif
Yeah, I''m in a very opposite position right now than you. My SO found out last Monday that his pay would be cut by 10%. That along with the fact that he has been looking for a better job since September but no luck so far....
40.gif
If he could get ''the better job'' and feel secure with his position there, then the ring will follow sometime thereafter.....

As far as the cost, I''m unsure how much of a price difference there would be. I''m sure quite a bit though. I mean, going from very slight inclusions to slight inclusions seems like a HUGE jump to me....

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:25:20 PM

20.gif
Yeah, I''m in a very opposite position right now than you. My SO found out last Monday that his pay would be cut by 10%. That along with the fact that he has been looking for a better job since September but no luck so far....
40.gif
If he could get ''the better job'' and feel secure with his position there, then the ring will follow sometime thereafter.....

As far as the cost, I''m unsure how much of a price difference there would be. I''m sure quite a bit though. I mean, going from very slight inclusions to slight inclusions seems like a HUGE jump to me....

For fun I was looking at 1 ct diamonds on WF, and it is $1000 to go from VS2-SI1. I am not sure how that would translate to Tiffany''s mark up. I don''t understand their pricing at all.

One other thing I thought of. John Pollard put up a talk last year about the state of diamonds. The international community (China, India) is now fighting for those VS diamonds that are well cut and high color. And that is driving down supply and driving up prices. I wonder if they just couldn''t get enough diamonds to meet demand.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 12:06:20 PM
Date: 2/16/2009 1:07:17 AM

30.gif
36.gif
31.gif
OK LADY cool your jets! lol I haven''t been gone that long, just the weekend and WOW by the way, so many posts in here it''s madness!!!!!
32.gif
But, that''s a good thing
31.gif

Sooooo.....Friday night I told him I needed to talk and asked for permission to come out of my e-ring probation for a moment or 2
27.gif
lol I told him about SA retiring and he was also very dissapointed.
39.gif
He said that''s too bad because he really liked her and felt comfortable with her.

So I asked him: ''What do we do now!?''

He said: ''I guess I would just have to but ''it'' (
6.gif
6.gif
31.gif
27.gif
31.gif
) from someone else that is nice and patient. Someone I''m comfortable with...''

all I could remember is him saying ''it'' as in the ring and ''patient'' as in he will take his time buying...along with saying all this giving away that he BETTER buy me a Tiffany ring when he talks like this to me....lol

We talked about how I was building a relationship with her and how bad it stinks that she''s gone. But then we were discussing these other 2 SA''s that we really like at Tiff''s who we have dealt with before and I asked FF what he thinks of them and he agrees that they have always been nice and helpful.

So a while later I asked: ''Is there anyone there that you really like as of now?''

and he said: ''The 2 that you mentioned!!''
31.gif

Then I told him if they offered my favorite SA some early retirement package....what if the other 2 SA''s retired too?!?
6.gif
Because the one lady is an older woman. She isn''t ''old'' but probably at least late 50''s early 60''s. The other SA is a man who I''d say is late 40''s.....I told him I think we should go to Tiffany and ''scout out'' who is still there and who isn''t...lol He didn''t say anything to that but I''ll bring THAT up again. lol!

Oh......and I told him about the SI1''s that they now offer which I''m not too happy about because they have lowered their standards. That''s actually what I emailed my original SA about because the pricing is lower now and I didn''t know if it was for VS2''s or SI1''s. The person who answerered me back said they only offer SI1''s in the Tiffany Setting right now. I told FF that I don''t think I''m interested in an SI1 because the inclusions could be visible to the eye....I told him I''d rather have VS ''something'' instead. Then I said: ''You probably won''t even remember this.'' to which he replied ''YES! I will remember''
30.gif

Hi Dreamgirl, good to hear you guys talked about other SA''s. I just remember I want to share our reaction about the SI''s when we first found out. SO and I walked into tiffany and saw the stud diamond earrings and we asked oh how much is this and the clarity and she said its SI1 I said are you sure like 5 times LOL! and sure enough she checked more than once but yup she said yes it is. She was surprised herself. SO and I looked at each other and was shocked. I guess they do it also with earrings and while there was no visible inclusions and it looked eyeclean so that''s a good sign. I''m sure there are a lot of beautiful SI''s out there and for sure lovely pieces either it be for earrings or e-ring. We just discussed it over the weekend again about the clarity and just our own preference we will be going with a VS. I guess because also that''s what we have been looking at for a long time.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:24:33 PM
I put my feelings in the post in RT. I was hoping I wouldn''t offend everyone, they were just my thoughts about me and what I want. But from reading this it sounds like you guys kind of feel the same. What I liked about Tiffany''s was that my diamond clueless BF could walk in and walk out with a nice eye-clean stone. A diamond being eye clean is really important to me. I don''t want to see anything from any angle. I know that is anal. But I tend to fix myself in inclusions. I would rather have a diamond under 1 ct that was eye-clean than a larger stone with an inclusion. The one advantage I thought Tiffany''s had over the vendors we tend to like here online is that all of their stones were eye-clean. When I was buying my diamond earrings at WF, I did not worry at all about cut, color, but I spent many hours looking at the inclusion plots making sure feathers were not in a bad location, there were no black inclusions ect. Tiffany''s used to do all that for you, now they have taken all the statements out saying they are going to do that.

I was already moving away from Tiffany''s for other reasons, but this kind of does it for me. To me, now the only big advantages to buying from there is I know they will be in business for a long time, and their settings are beautiful. The good thing about Tiffany''s adjusting to the economy is that they will survive. Most of their customers are girls who aren''t educated are not thinking about clarity, they are thinking about size. And those who do think about clarity, or are from cultures where that is the most important thing, can still get a VVS from Tiffany''s.

So I guess I am disappointed. But Tiffany''s pays people a lot of money to figure out what most people want. You make more profit selling to the middle class than to the wealthy. There aren''t a lot of wealthy people, and other high end markets are fighting for them. I have no problem with Tiffany''s having a market that reaches to the masses, but they have kind of lost me in the process when it comes to what I want.

Just so you all know, I still love their jewelry and the their settings are some of my favorites. This is not meant to Tiffany bash but to vent my disappointment, because I really can''t vent stuff like this to my friends. They wouldn''t understand.

ITA - Both SO and I were pretty uneducated about diamonds when we had our first visit to T&Co for e-rings, but our SA gave us a nice crash-course about the 4Cs. I thought SO would be able to get a great cut within our specs for very little effort at T&Co. For me, learning more about HCA scores and what measurements are considered ideal for the stone opened my eyes to the fact that many of T&Co''s stones are not ideal and you really need to be aggressive about getting measurements if this factor is important to you. I know HCA scores are not the end all, but it is a good way to assess the stones. I know SO wanted to get a good quality stone, but there is no way he would have taken the time to do research outside the 4C''s. I felt like I had to sift through the different rings they were offering to pick the one that was the best to me based on the numbers and the look of the stone. I was happy to find the stone that hit my sweet spot but it took more effort than I expected.
Again, don''t get me wrong, I love my ring and even if there would have been a Harry Winston, Graff, or Cartier in our city, I would have still gone for the 6-prong Tiffany setting. It suits my style, I love the 6-prongs as opposed to 4, and the service was excellent. Will we get our wedding bands there? Probably, but I have encouraged SO to look elsewhere since there are other designer rings out there. I do really like Tiffany but their shift in image has started to bother me a bit. There are still things I want from there because the designs are gorgeous, but I know I will have to do a little more legwork if I shop there. I apologize if this comes across as snobby, I am just trying to express my opinion!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:25:20 PM

20.gif
40.gif

I''m sorry to hear about your SO''s job, Dreamgirl. I will be sending good vibes your way in hopes that he finds a new job soon!

Hmm, I just looked at my notes from when we were on various waitlists for rings. For a difference in VVS1 to VVS2 was $2700 for a 2 ct Novo. I don''t have any VVS2 to VS1 difference in the same color (the color or size changes). So in the 2 ct range a VS2 to SI may be $3K+. Who know?!
20.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Lab Rat -

I think me and you are saying the same thing (BTW if I was in your shoes, and I just got my ring from there, I would not let this change my feelings at all, and I would still get a wedding band there, remember one of the great things about their rings as they are lower set for us people who work with our hands, their bands are lower too). I think the beauty of Tiffany's was that is was easy. If you wanted the best cut, you had to do some leg work. But you didn't have to worry about clarity, color, or the setting. That was all done. Now if I was shopping there, I would want to see the numbers for the cut, and I would want an inclusion plot. I think I would drive the sales people mad. But that is no different than how I would be at WF, or GOG. So other than the setting, there is no real advantage in the way of leg work. Do I think my BF is going to know how to look at an inclusion plot? No. I am better off sending him to WF, having him choose from the ACA line and insist on an eye-clean stone (which is the way I think he is leaning from his vague statements).

ETA: Dreamgirl, I am sorry to hear about your SO job as well, I hope things get better for you.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 1:48:22 PM
Author: xoxo
Hi Dreamgirl, good to hear you guys talked about other SA''s. I just remember I want to share our reaction about the SI''s when we first found out. SO and I walked into tiffany and saw the stud diamond earrings and we asked oh how much is this and the clarity and she said its SI1 I said are you sure like 5 times LOL! and sure enough she checked more than once but yup she said yes it is. She was surprised herself. SO and I looked at each other and was shocked. I guess they do it also with earrings and while there was no visible inclusions and it looked eyeclean so that''s a good sign. I''m sure there are a lot of beautiful SI''s out there and for sure lovely pieces either it be for earrings or e-ring. We just discussed it over the weekend again about the clarity and just our own preference we will be going with a VS. I guess because also that''s what we have been looking at for a long time.
I hear ya! I think I''m just more comfortable with something VS.

I''ve known about the earrings for a few months now but never saw the SI''s from Tiffany. Did you look at the regular studs or the EP Diamonds by the Yard? I''ve had my eye on the DBTY''ds for quite some time. I think the price went up though
6.gif
I''ve always wanted a nice pair of diamond earrings..

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Aww DG that''s cute! There is NO way that he would not buy from Tiffanys at this point, I think - he''s gotta know how much you want a Tiffs ring! And if he doesn''t, send him on here and let us know his screen name and we''ll set him right!
1.gif

I don''t know how I feel about Tiff going to SI1. On one hand, it''s not that big a deal to me, since we won''t be buying my e-ring from there (w-band is another story - I want a Tiffs w-band!) and we''ll be buying an SI1 anyway if we find one that is eye-clean (gotta sacrifice something for size and color....
2.gif
) but on the other hand, Tiffs is one of those that markets itself as a place where you can pick anything and you''ll get great quality. You can be a diamond novice and be totally fine. I would hope that all of their SI1s are carefully screened so that they''re eye-clean. Consistent reports of eye-clean, can''t tell a difference SI1s will be good for them I think and help maintain their reputation as a higher-class jeweler that still is popular to a broad cross-section of people (not just the insanely wealthy). On the other hand, the first report of a visibly included SI1 can be very damaging to them, I think. So I''m sure they''ve taken that into account and they''ll be carefully screening the SIs before putting them in the store. I hope.
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Labrat and Firecracker! I just wished he would get an interview and another job already! It''s the economy that is putting a stall on things I think. He''s trying to get something in the Government. Hopefully something will come along soon! At his current job, things are slowing down a lot and I worry they will close up. Hopefully not! If he would just get the better job, things would start looking up for our future too!! Everything depends on a new job!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:21:09 PM
Lab Rat -

I think me and you are saying the same thing (BTW if I was in your shoes, and I just got my ring from there, I would not let this change my feelings at all, and I would still get a wedding band there, remember one of the great things about their rings as they are lower set for us people who work with our hands, their bands are lower too). I think the beauty of Tiffany''s was that is was easy. If you wanted the best cut, you had to do some leg work. But you didn''t have to worry about clarity, color, or the setting. That was all done. Now if I was shopping there, I would want to see the numbers for the cut, and I would want an inclusion plot. I think I would drive the sales people mad. But that is no different than how I would be at WF, or GOG. So other than the setting, there is no real advantage in the way of leg work. Do I think my BF is going to know how to look at an inclusion plot? No. I am better off sending him to WF, having him choose from the ACA line and insist on an eye-clean stone (which is the way I think he is leaning from his vague statements).

ETA: Dreamgirl, I am sorry to hear about your SO job as well, I hope things get better for you.

LTL, I totally agree. And not just that it''s easy at Tiffanys but that you''re assured of good quality. But I''m totally with you - if it were me looking, I would want numbers, I would want to plug those into the HCA, post about it on PS, get opinions, and look through it with an Idealscope. I might be annoying enough that the Tiffs salespeople wouldn''t think it was worth the sale!
1.gif

I think sending your BF to WF for an ACA is an awesome idea! I want to do the same with BF - or send him to GOG. Or Wink. I keep sending him links to diamonds I like that are in the budget, fit the color and carat and esp. are fantastically cut. I hope he gets the hint
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:35:04 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Aww DG that''s cute! There is NO way that he would not buy from Tiffanys at this point, I think - he''s gotta know how much you want a Tiffs ring! And if he doesn''t, send him on here and let us know his screen name and we''ll set him right!
1.gif
4.gif
5.gif
You think?! lol

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:36:45 PM
Thanks Labrat and Firecracker! I just wished he would get an interview and another job already! It''s the economy that is putting a stall on things I think. He''s trying to get something in the Government. Hopefully something will come along soon! At his current job, things are slowing down a lot and I worry they will close up. Hopefully not! If he would just get the better job, things would start looking up for our future too!! Everything depends on a new job!

Sorry DG about the paycut. It''s a crappy economy lately
7.gif
What does he do, if you don''t mind my asking?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:39:07 PM

1.gif
4.gif
5.gif
You think?! lol

If he doesn''t get it, I''m losing faith in men''s ability to get the hint - esp when it''s obvious!!!

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:32:21 PM
Date: 2/16/2009 1:48:22 PM

Author: xoxo

I hear ya! I think I''m just more comfortable with something VS.

I''ve known about the earrings for a few months now but never saw the SI''s from Tiffany. Did you look at the regular studs or the EP Diamonds by the Yard? I''ve had my eye on the DBTY''ds for quite some time. I think the price went up though
6.gif
I''ve always wanted a nice pair of diamond earrings..

We saw the regular studs, but the DBTY''ds are quite lovely. I agree I think a lovely pair of diamond earrings Is a must to have
27.gif
lol. My SO got me the necklace of the DBTY''ds but the one with the one diamond in gold which I wear everyday. I''m hoping to get it in platinum when I get my E-ring so it can match
2.gif
lol! oh really the prices went up for there earrings? That sucks! Well maybe, just hopefully it gets price adjustment to go down. crossing fingers we never know.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
BEG - that is a good idea. I have shown his the list of ACA''s on WF and made a point to tell him I picked my earrings from this list. I would love a stone from GOG too, exp since they tend to have a wider rages of sizes than WF when I am doing a random search.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how I feel about Tiff going to SI1. On one hand, it''s not that big a deal to me, since we won''t be buying my e-ring from there (w-band is another story - I want a Tiffs w-band!) and we''ll be buying an SI1 anyway if we find one that is eye-clean (gotta sacrifice something for size and color....
2.gif
) but on the other hand, Tiffs is one of those that markets itself as a place where you can pick anything and you''ll get great quality. You can be a diamond novice and be totally fine. I would hope that all of their SI1s are carefully screened so that they''re eye-clean. Consistent reports of eye-clean, can''t tell a difference SI1s will be good for them I think and help maintain their reputation as a higher-class jeweler that still is popular to a broad cross-section of people (not just the insanely wealthy). On the other hand, the first report of a visibly included SI1 can be very damaging to them, I think. So I''m sure they''ve taken that into account and they''ll be carefully screening the SIs before putting them in the store. I hope.
1.gif
I certainly hope so too. I do picture S taking his time (remember how he wants a SA that is ''patient''?
31.gif
) and with spending that much money, and he knows about diamond flaws.....I don''t see him buying something that looks bad anyway...I''ve got nothing to worry about.
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:02:44 PM

2.gif
1.gif
I certainly hope so too. I do picture S taking his time (remember how he wants a SA that is ''patient''?
31.gif
) and with spending that much money, and he knows about diamond flaws.....I don''t see him buying something that looks bad anyway...I''ve got nothing to worry about.
2.gif

Not at all. My faith rests on my guy being incapable of spending that much money without doing serious research. If your guy is anything like that, I wouldn''t worry!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:50:24 PM
BEG - that is a good idea. I have shown his the list of ACA''s on WF and made a point to tell him I picked my earrings from this list. I would love a stone from GOG too, exp since they tend to have a wider rages of sizes than WF when I am doing a random search.

Me too. The thing about WF is that the ACAs are fantastic - I would feel comfortable with BF just picking one of those in my size and color range. GOG''s prices I think are a bit lower, but there is a greater range in cut quality (all good, but some are better). I''ve kind of repeatedly told BF about the importance of checking the numbers out on HCA.
2.gif
I''d be thrilled with a diamond from either - or one of the Infinity diamonds from Wink.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results