shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany LIW discussion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Guess I gotta tell FF about favorite Tiffany SA's retirement tonight
39.gif
39.gif
I'm not happy about it at all. Not sure how he will take it as he has put me on the "Don't talk about e-rings at this time probation"
3.gif
lol

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
ooohhh I'm so happy to be with my fellow tiff's girls lol! Lab keep us updated with the outcome have lots of fun! and Dreamgirl, so sorry about your retired SA I'm quite so sure you will find a SA that will fill in her place. What about if we call this thread LOVE for TIffanys!

oopps I had to edit because I read Lab that your not liking the HCA grading for the one your suppose to try on, So sorry to hear that. Try to check up on the other two that is on hold maybe they wont buy it
31.gif
then you get to request it in. OOOO I really hope you get to see all three. I'm crossing my fingers!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:51:56 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Guess I gotta tell FF about favorite Tiffany SA''s retirement tonight
39.gif
39.gif
I''m not happy about it at all. Not sure how he will take it as he has put me on the ''Don''t talk about e-rings at this time probation''
3.gif
lol
Hahahahaha!!!!! Love it
30.gif
ive had that myself
9.gif

and labrat, i do hope your SO is in a good mood for the ring expedition - its so important, its no fun when they''re grumpy
38.gif

but then if they put as much consideration into our rings as they do into their cars we wouldnt have this pickle
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Aww sorry to hear about the SA, DG!
7.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
just had a thought BECG, what about the lucida band ring with a single stone? bit more expensive but it LOOKS like the stone has a bit more bite?
20.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Just an update...SO bought the ring!!

The story -- so tonight, we went to T&Co to look at rings. Our SA tells us he is sorry but the 2.1 ct Tiffany solitaire was on hold for someone but he was able to get a hold of the 2.03 ct!!! I DIED! The HCA score for this one is a 1.1 (a score I am very happy with!) and the specs are perfect for what we wanted. I tried it on and it was heavenly!! SO saw how happy I was and asked if this ring was the one I wanted. It was obvious what the answer was and SO told our SA this was the ring we wanted.

The kicker - SO didn''t bring his checkbook because he thought we weren''t going to buy anything! I kind of went to the store feeling down since the ring I wanted wasn''t going to be brought in. I couldn''t believe the ring I wanted had actually come in instead! We will be going back tomorrow morning to buy the ring

Here is a crappy pic from my iphone. My hand was shaking I was so excited!

labrat1.jpg

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
I also found out that I was wrong with my finger size. I am now a size 2.5!! I thought I was a 3.5 but I was obviously unaware! Our T&Co SA twas quite amazed!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:27:54 PM
Author: LabRatPhD

The story -- so tonight, we went to T&Co to look at rings. Our SA tells us he is sorry but the 2.1 ct Tiffany solitaire was on hold for someone but he was able to get a hold of the 2.03 ct!!! I DIED! The HCA score for this one is a 1.1 (a score I am very happy with!) and the specs are perfect for what we wanted. I tried it on and it was heavenly!! SO saw how happy I was and asked if this ring was the one I wanted. It was obvious what the answer was and SO told our SA this was the ring we wanted.

The kicker - SO didn''t bring his checkbook because he thought we weren''t going to buy anything! I kind of went to the store feeling down since the ring I wanted wasn''t going to be brought in. I couldn''t believe the ring I wanted had actually come in instead! We will be going back tomorrow morning to buy the ring

Here is a crappy pic from my iphone. My hand was shaking I was so excited!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

That looks AMAZING!!!!

Dang girl, 2.5??? That ring looks perfect on you - BIG CONGRATS!!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Labrat, if you don''t mind my asking, what are the specs on your gorgeous new ring?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
woo hoo
36.gif
YAY labrat
36.gif
that ring is stunning - it going to need one hell of a big thread when you have it on your finger permanently
30.gif
and yes what are the specs?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies -- thanks for the kind remarks! I will make a whole thread once I am an official bride-to-be!

Let''s see if I can remember the specs off the top of my head...

2.03 ct H/VS1
cut/sym/polish - all excellent
fluro - none
culet - none
girdle - medium

I don''t remember any of the numbers except that the table is 56%. I had all the other specs written down but I think I left that paper at work.

I don''t know if we will come home with the ring today. I think SO wants to have it sized and then hide it until he actually proposes! I thought we were going to get engaged in the summer but SO wants to get engaged sooner! His grandmother on his mom''s side has terminal cancer and he visited her in Japan a month ago. She wants to see him engaged to me, but she was only given another month or two to live. He is her only grandchild so he really wants to grant that wish for her. We may be engaged soon!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, what a very lucky girl you are!!!!
30.gif
You did great with waiting for the stone with the best cut!!!
36.gif

I was just reading this thread because I love Tiffany, too! But I am old enough to be your mother, probably! But I''ll have to say, I am really not understanding why your mother is influencing when you get engaged. If my daughter''s boyfriend bought her a ring, I would be thrilled for him to give it to her as soon as possible!

I have the Tiffany Legacy wedding band and I just adore it! I have a few other Tiffany items on my wishlist, too! I think Tiffany platinum will always be an heirloom!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Diamondseeker2006!

I tried to be very patient about the stone and it seemed to have paid off!

I kind of understand my mother''s rationale, just because it is a cultural one. We are Indian and my parents had a very traditional arranged marriage in India. She seems to think that a couple should wait no more than a year to get married after the engagement has been announced, which is the way a lot of arranged marriages work. Heck, my parents were married 8 months after their first meeting. She also wants to wait until I finish my PhD since we all agree on having the wedding in Philadelphia, where most of the guests on both sides will be coming from. SO and I are in Texas and will be until I am done, which is in another 2 years or so. SO also wants to be sensitive to my parents request since they are paying for the wedding. I think it''s just a cultural issue and it''s been a lot for my parents to adjust to (SO is not Indian so that was another concern they had to overcome). They have been doing well being supportive of our relationship. I know SO really doesn''t want to upset my mom but he wants to give his grandmother her wish too. I plan on talking to my mom this weekend about the situation and I hope she will warm up to the idea that it''s okay to be engaged for over a year. I guess she is influencing our decision because at first, no one really had a preference except her (SO''s parents were basically hippies at Berkeley who got married by the JOP so they don''t care if we even had a wedding). Now that SO''s grandmother has said what she wants, we need to compromise. We are trying to be accommodating to everyone who cares. I hope that my mom will be sensitive to the situation.

Whew that was long!
2.gif
Either way, I am quite excited at the prospect of wearing my ring!

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Oh my Gosh! YYYYAAAYYYYY!!! I''m so so so so Excited for you YAY!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
The ring is so Beautiful and Huge Lab, I''m so Happy lol! its like me whos getting and engaged!
30.gif
I love it on you. Wow so it might be soon then! So sorry to hear about his grandma, but very thoughtful of him to think of her and make sure she is a part of it all. OMG I''m very very happy to see your ring lol! We were all just talking about it lol! ok keep us updated
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, now I understand! I certainly hope that all the family members can compromise a bit so that you two can get engaged sooner rather than later! I'll be hopeful that your talk with your mom goes well!

(Oh, and my diamond is H VS1 as well and I think it is perfect!)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s stunning!! Congratulations!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 8:27:56 PM
Author: Blackpaw

39.gif
39.gif
I''m not happy about it at all. Not sure how he will take it as he has put me on the ''Don''t talk about e-rings at this time probation''
3.gif
lol
Hahahahaha!!!!! Love it
30.gif
ive had that myself
9.gif
heheheee
3.gif
I spoke with him last night, I''ll let you know what he said come Sunday..

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:27:54 PM
GOOD GOD WOMAN!!!!!!! That gorgeous ring is HUGEEEEEEE on you!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you were able to sneak a photo for us. (and obviously I hope to see more photos!!!) You have such teeny tiny fingers!

Congratulations on the purchase!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone!

It''s official! SO and I went to T&Co this morning (checkbook and all) and bought the ring of my dreams! It is off to T&Co in NYC to be sized so I won''t see it again for a while. I even got my old tarnished T&Co silver necklace that SO gave me 5 years ago polished while I was there. It has been an amazing Valentine''s Day so far!
5.gif

I tried to get more pics while I was there but they all look the same as the one I posted as it was hard to keep the ring steady. It''ll be much easier when the ring actually fits!

Thanks to all of you for keeping up with my ring chronicles! I hope you have a fantastic Valentine''s Day!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think our Valentine''s day will be quite as exciting as yours, but thanks!!!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited for you, LabRat! Your ring looks amazing on you. What a perfect Valentine''s Day!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
31.gif

Date: 2/14/2009 2:46:49 PM

Date: 2/13/2009 8:27:56 PM
Author: Blackpaw

39.gif
39.gif
3.gif
lol
Hahahahaha!!!!! Love it
30.gif
ive had that myself
9.gif
heheheee
3.gif
I spoke with him last night, I''ll let you know what he said come Sunday..
You tease, dreamgirl
11.gif
what did he say?!!!!

Out of interest, at work today i met a ladie with the most stunning 2ct emerald cut ring...
30.gif
makes me all warm and tingly inside just thinking about it
9.gif

It also makes me think i really do need to try on a whopping EC when i next visit tiffany''s
31.gif

Oh labrat im very excited for you, its sweet your SO wants to have his grandma see the two of you engaged. And its ever sweeter that you have 2.5 size fingers to show of that amazing rock on
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Labrat once again, congrats!! The ring is gorgeous - I can''t wait to see more pics when he proposes (hopefully soon!).

BF and I went to Tiffanys today to take a look - I wasn''t impressed with the guy who was helping us, but no denying those rings are stunning. I tried on a 2.3 ct. (G VS1) with a shared prong band (which actually almost fit me so it didn''t look weird and crooked) and I
30.gif
that combo!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, Labrat, your ring is a stunner! I love it. I''ve never wandered into a Tiff''s, but maybe once B and I start shopping I''ll drag him into one :)

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thank you again for all the sweet comments!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl - what did you think of the G-color 2.3 ct? SO wanted to go for G/VS1 because he said he could see a tinge of color in an I when we compared a D to G, H, and I in natural light. I *thought* I could also see the warmth, but I wasn''t sure if it was just because SO had just said he could see it. I was shocked when we found out that a ~ 2ct G was almost 10K more than an H of the same clarity
6.gif
! SO was still willing to get the G color if that is what I wanted, but honestly neither one of us could tell the difference between a D and H in regular light, let alone between the G and H. That $10K can pay for a pretty rockin honeymoon and then some!
2.gif

I love the look of the shared-prong band with the Tiffany setting e-ring too! SO really loved the Novo band because of how delicate it looked with the e-ring. I have to be careful with the width of the wedding band because my fingers are short. I will most likely go with a band that is fairly thin. I can''t believe SO already got the ring - now I have become obsessed with wedding bands! I also made a mental wishlist today while I was at T&Co of other bling I loved...bad LabRat!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 3:00:55 AM
Thank you again for all the sweet comments!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl - what did you think of the G-color 2.3 ct? SO wanted to go for G/VS1 because he said he could see a tinge of color in an I when we compared a D to G, H, and I in natural light. I *thought* I could also see the warmth, but I wasn't sure if it was just because SO had just said he could see it. I was shocked when we found out that a ~ 2ct G was almost 10K more than an H of the same clarity
6.gif
! SO was still willing to get the G color if that is what I wanted, but honestly neither one of us could tell the difference between a D and H in regular light, let alone between the G and H. That $10K can pay for a pretty rockin honeymoon and then some!
2.gif

I love the look of the shared-prong band with the Tiffany setting e-ring too! SO really loved the Novo band because of how delicate it looked with the e-ring. I have to be careful with the width of the wedding band because my fingers are short. I will most likely go with a band that is fairly thin. I can't believe SO already got the ring - now I have become obsessed with wedding bands! I also made a mental wishlist today while I was at T&Co of other bling I loved...bad LabRat!!

I liked the G a lot! I had a big problem with the I though, because I could definitely see warmth (and while it was beautiful, I'm not a big fan of warm stones - I want mine to be icy!). The G was much better - I could see a bit of yellow from the sides but not from the top - I was able to tell the difference between a G and D a while back in NY at Tiffanys, but without that side-by-side, I can't really tell. I was just curious how well cut the diamonds were (because I was looking at a 2.3 I on WF and GOG) but they wouldn't let me write down the numbers (the guy, who I was not impressed with, said it was because they didn't want anyone to copy the cut proporations - what??? Besides, it wasn't that hard - I don't remember crown and pavilion but I know it was a 60/60 table/depth which I thought was interesting.).

I think H is the perfect color if you're not too color-sensitive but you can see a bit in an I. I bet it's very very white- and we can already see from your pic that it looks fantastic on your hand! 10K is a lot for a color difference! (same carat, same clarity, I'm assuming?)

I know what you mean about short fingers! (Although yours look long in your pic!). I tried on a channel set with the 2.3 - way too much metal, too much width - my fingers looked stumpy. I think the Novo is really beautiful and delicate - and perfect with that ring. Try on a shared prong with it! The one I tried on was only a half eternity (which is good because it lies flatter on the sides, which I like, and it can be sized) and I loved that look. So much bling!

And yay for buying your ring today - what a great Valentine's Day!
36.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention - one of the couples who were looking when we were - the guy was REALLY knowledgeable! He was asking about fluorescence, cut, crown and pavilion angles, and such - I was wondering if he was a PS member or lurker!
3.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
BECG - colour can be a hard thing to judge sometimes, ive tried on lucidas at two different tiffanys, and seen a lot of warmth in a H, but then ive tried on a G that may as well have been a D... I think sometimes a particular stone will show more colour than another, because i know ive seen some icy white Is and Js on pricescope...

Labrat - I think your H looks very white, I couldnt pic it from a G or a D im sure
30.gif
and what do you mean ''mental wishlist''???!!! I command you to go online to tiffs.com and start up a real one...or how will your SO know what to get you for a wedding/birthday/christmas girft?
11.gif
31.gif

Dreamgirl - still waiting on your SOs reaction
31.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
LabRatPhD - WOW!!!!! Congratulations. I hope you get your ring from NY soon. That diamond has so much sparkle, you must be over the moon.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 11:40:23 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Labrat once again, congrats!! The ring is gorgeous - I can''t wait to see more pics when he proposes (hopefully soon!).

BF and I went to Tiffanys today to take a look - I wasn''t impressed with the guy who was helping us, but no denying those rings are stunning. I tried on a 2.3 ct. (G VS1) with a shared prong band (which actually almost fit me so it didn''t look weird and crooked) and I
30.gif
that combo!

Well, it sounds like you had a good time. BF went to Tiffany''s yesterday, and I got a little something (silver earrings), but I didn''t go with him, so I didn''t get to try on any 2 ct pretties. But I wasn''t expecting anything at all so earrings are exciting.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Brown.Eyed.Girl! I''m sorry you had a dud of an SA! I did notice that some of the SAs in our local store are also unimpressive. Our SA is fantastic (no pressure to buy higher color grades/clarity grades). He would have brought in 100 more rings if I would have requested it without an attitude. My stone is definitely white, but color doesn''t bother me as much (I love the look of vintage/antique diamonds).
I was told that the cut on all Tiff diamonds is excellent, but the sym/polish are is always. They also definitely have diamonds that score high on the HCA scale (the 2.1 ct I mentioned before had a low crown angle and high pavilion angle) so if that it important to the buyer, they should check the specs. If the SA is lousy and won''t give that info, you can always call the 1-800 number and request specs for that ring. The G was a 2.06/VS1 and was about $10K more if I remember correctly. We didn''t even have that one brought in because I told SO it wasn''t worth the price.
That''s funny that you saw a customer who was well-informed - we saw a customer with a loupe inspecting the rings with our SA when we went to the store! SO was like, "what the hell is that guy doing?" Poor SO...
My fingers are short compared to the rest of the general population but my hands are really small so they are proportional, if not even a little long for my hands. My hands don''t even fill out XS gloves in lab. I really can not imagine going higher than 2.03 for the e-ring. I was even having doubts on Friday night that maybe I should go down to 1.5ct. SO reassured me that the 2.03 ct looked awesome on my hand. He teased me all day yesterday about my "rock" and how my younger sister will now want one too. My lil sis is funny - anytime SO buys me a gift, she instantly says, "tell him I want one too!"
20.gif

I''m not 100% sure we will go to T&Co for the wedding bands but I think we probably will since SO was so pleased with our SA. I will need to try on wedding bands once the ring is sized. I tried on the Novo band which SO really loved.

Hi Blackpaw! I think my H is very white
30.gif
. We could not tell the difference between mine and a D color. It was strange that we could see the warmth with an I though. The problem with T&Co is that the lighting makes you so blinded by the sparklies! I do think color shows up in particular stones though.
Lucky for SO, my b-day and Christmas are in the same month so he can get away with combining the gift! This past December he got me a Rolex lady datejust. I must start an online wishlist since I was already scoping out some wedding jewelry and bm''s gifts. All SO wants is a platinum band!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results