shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany’s jade?

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I’m a complete jade and colored stone newbie. I saw some jade pieces at the local Tiffany & Co. store but I can’t tell if they’re high quality or not. I’d hate to pay a huge premium and realize it’s horribly bleached and dyed jade.

Are there sites that I can buy jade from and be assured it’s high quality? Kind of like the Whiteflash, High Performance Diamond, and Brian Gavin sites but for jade? I’m willing to pay a premium if it takes the guesswork out for me.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several PSers have bought from Kathy Jade

They seem to be pretty reputable

Calling @icy_jade to help you out. I know she's bought quite a few lovely pieces from Kathy Jade and she's a Jade pro.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey am here. Hmm that’s a tough one. Cos Kathy also has quite a bit of commercial quality jade on the site which I wouldn’t recommend (drier and lower quality jadeite). That said my experience has been positive so far and untreated jade. But you kind of have to know how to interpret the pics and descriptions

@southernicetea what do you mean by high quality? Just untreated or really nice glassy/icy variety type? Also what is your budget? Quality jade can go into millions so the question is really what you are looking for and the others on PS who love jade can also steer you to the vendors that they frequent.

For a start maybe you can mention what color and what type of jewelry you are looking for. Then we can maybe advise what can work based on your budget.

PS umm am not a jade pro... don’t dare to claim to be one. I just like jadeite

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your help, @icy_jade and @mellowyellowgirl ! I'm looking for a pendant and maybe a piece to make a custom cuff with. My cuff inspiration comes from Tiffany's Sevillana cuff: https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracelets/elsa-peretti-sevillana-cuff-19490874/. Budget no more than $10k per piece as I intend to pass these pieces down, but I'm very early in the education phase.

I looked through the Kathy Jade site and WOW. What an excellent recommendation! I really like the pieces that looked like a glowy, slightly translucent "dew drop" of green or white, like below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.22.37 PM.png

Ignoring the setting differences, I don't understand enough about the jade to know why they're priced differently. Is the jade in the $7k ring below a less desirable color or heterogeneity?

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.32.48 PM.png

Looking at the prices, I may need to save a bit longer if I want something that looks like those stones.... :shock:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your help, @icy_jade and @mellowyellowgirl ! I'm looking for a pendant and maybe a piece to make a custom cuff with. My cuff inspiration comes from Tiffany's Sevillana cuff: https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracelets/elsa-peretti-sevillana-cuff-19490874/. Budget no more than $10k per piece as I intend to pass these pieces down, but I'm very early in the education phase.

I looked through the Kathy Jade site and WOW. What an excellent recommendation! I really like the pieces that looked like a glowy, slightly translucent "dew drop" of green or white, like below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.22.37 PM.png

Ignoring the setting differences, I don't understand enough about the jade to know why they're priced differently. Is the jade in the $7k ring below a less desirable color or heterogeneity?

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.32.48 PM.png

Looking at the prices, I may need to save a bit longer if I want something that looks like those stones.... :shock:

The second ring has uneven coloring and also less desirable color. It’s apple green vs the first ring which is supposed to be a lusher green. Setting makes a diff in price as well. Kathy does a once a year sale so that’s when it’s best to buy from them (like 20% off). Unfortunately it was just recently so you just missed it.

I know a few of the ladies here have had quite positive experiences buying from fb live-streams. Hopefully they will pop by and give some advice as well as it’s much more affordable to buy from fb live-streams. Someone else also got a beautiful stone through recently from Mona(?). Can’t find the thread but I’ll post the link if I can find it. If you want a stone of that quality, I think fb live-streams could be the best bet? @mellowyellowgirl @ChaiK @Burmesedaze

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you have to figure out what green you like first. 10k is a good enough budget.

The Sevillana cuff's stone looks to be nephrite which is more affordable than good green jadeite.

I've gone off livestream for big ticket items and have people sourcing for me from the jade stalls instead, for higher end jadeite :) Since hardly any good greens in larger sizes go to livestream now with jadeite in short supply. I also don't trust colours on websites and my source lady who hunts for me knows my likes and dislikes. I tip her well too, above her commission.

For reference below. 17.5mm. Looking at under 25,000rmb. Lighter green but good water and proportions.

IMG-20201129-WA0013.jpg

The one below is 16.5 x 15.5 with whopper 8.7mm dome. Intense green but less water/translucency. Looking at under 50,000rmb. Opened at 70,000rmb.

IMG-20201128-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201128-WA0002.jpg

If you want size, proportions, good water and intense green... the prices soar thereafter. Imperial green with good dimensions and translucency enough to be termed so are really at the auctions. Thinner silvers or carvings can be found, but they carry a premium I find hard to swallow.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Of the pictures you posted, I (thankfully) like the lighter shades of green and the $25000 rmb stone is :love:. It sounds like I favor stones with good water.

This is a lot of food for thought - perhaps when COVID is a thing of the past, I can take a trip to Asia to browse. Thank you all so much for your help! @mellowyellowgirl @Burmesedaze @icy_jade

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
The second ring has uneven coloring and also less desirable color. It’s apple green vs the first ring which is supposed to be a lusher green. Setting makes a diff in price as well. Kathy does a once a year sale so that’s when it’s best to buy from them (like 20% off). Unfortunately it was just recently so you just missed it.

I know a few of the ladies here have had quite positive experiences buying from fb live-streams. Hopefully they will pop by and give some advice as well as it’s much more affordable to buy from fb live-streams. Someone else also got a beautiful stone through recently from Mona(?). Can’t find the thread but I’ll post the link if I can find it. If you want a stone of that quality, I think fb live-streams could be the best bet? @mellowyellowgirl @ChaiK @Burmesedaze

@icy_jade sorry to ask but do you think the first ring (around $14200) with the price? What price do you think more reasonable?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Personal opinion and all... I think it’s a bit pricey.

If I am in the market and that price range I would consider this as well which has a more desirable shade of bright green:

I do like the design of the ring you asked about but feel so-so about the color of the jadeite cab.

If you are still keen, as mentioned earlier, Kathy has annual sales at 20% off so would try for 20% off at least.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
Personal opinion and all... I think it’s a bit pricey.

If I am in the market and that price range I would consider this as well which has a more desirable shade of bright green:

I do like the design of the ring you asked about but feel so-so about the color of the jadeite cab.

If you are still keen, as mentioned earlier, Kathy has annual sales at 20% off so would try for 20% off at least.

I see. 20% off would be worth it?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I see. 20% off would be worth it?

Would be better. I’ll be honest, it depends on what you are used to.

We have PS-ers who are used to buying from livestreams and I think this pricing after discount would still be atrocious to them.

Personally I find it hard to buy jadeite online so am comfortable with Kathy as returns are trouble free (so far in my experience and I’ve returned many items when the color or size isn’t what I’d imagined it to be for example).

Contact them and ask for more pics and videos, on the hand, how it looks under natural lighting, indoors, etc. I’ve done that for some items where I wasn’t sure from looking at pics provided and it has been helpful.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
Would be better. I’ll be honest, it depends on what you are used to.

We have PS-ers who are used to buying from livestreams and I think this pricing after discount would still be atrocious to them.

Personally I find it hard to buy jadeite online so am comfortable with Kathy as returns are trouble free (so far in my experience and I’ve returned many items when the color or size isn’t what I’d imagined it to be for example).

Contact them and ask for more pics and videos, on the hand, how it looks under natural lighting, indoors, etc. I’ve done that for some items where I wasn’t sure from looking at pics provided and it has been helpful.

Thank you for your honest opinion. What is PS-ers? As far as I know most Livestreams are not legit, but I never actually see one so I maybe wrong. What price would be a reasonable price for that ring? I am attracted to the design but I don't want to overpay either.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pricescopers = PS-ers ie members of Pricescope forum

As I understand, Kathy is a B&M store in Taiwan so prices are retail. Plus they allow returns. It would be unrealistic to expect bargain pricing from them.

@Burmesedaze and @ChaiK might be good to ask re Livestreams

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock

As I understand, Kathy is a B&M store in Taiwan so prices are retail. Plus they allow returns. It would be unrealistic to expect bargain pricing from them.

@Burmesedaze and @ChaiK might be good to ask re Livestre

Have learned a lot. Thank you. @Burmesedaze and @ChaiK , what would be a reasonable price for that ring from Kathy? The $14200 ring

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock

@icy_jade I haven't heard back from other PS-ers, but I am going to chat with Kathy Jade. Would you please give me a bit idea on the best price for that ring and the ring you sent earlier? Much appreciated!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
As I said earlier, I’ll try for 20% off (which they offer during their annual sale). They may not agree but no harm trying.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
As I said earlier, I’ll try for 20% off (which they offer during their annual sale). They may not agree but no harm trying.

Thank you!! I will try that. I was trying to ask around as I am highly interested. Some other forums gave me a really low price on that ring,less than half of listing price :(. I am just curious if Kathy has terribly overpriced their items. What do you think from your experience?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!! I will try that. I was trying to ask around as I am highly interested. Some other forums gave me a really low price on that ring,less than half of listing price :(. I am just curious if Kathy has terribly overpriced their items. What do you think from your experience?

I have nothing new to add.

see:

As I understand, Kathy is a B&M store in Taiwan so prices are retail. Plus they allow returns. It would be unrealistic to expect bargain pricing from them

If you have doubts, don’t buy

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
I have nothing new to add.

see:

If you have doubts, don’t buy

I am new to the market just wondering how come jadeite pricing is so different from stores to stores. It is really hard to compare. I like Kathy Jade items, good designing but have no clue about pricing...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You know that ring is already showing as sold on the site right?

My advice to you is to start with a more affordable ring. We all made beginner mistakes and starting with an over 10k purchase (unless you are super rich then maybe it doesn’t matter) makes no sense to me. Go and see some jadeite in real life. Figure out the color you like.

I also want to add that the ring you are/were (?) eyeing had nearly 2 carats in diamonds in the settings. So it adds to the base cost too. I don’t know which forum you go to, but anyone who can reproduce that ring at half the price, pls let me know. I will not reply further as there really isn’t anything new I can add imo re: Kathy.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock

My advice to you is to start with a more affordable ring. We all made beginner mistakes and starting with an over 10k purchase (unless you are super rich then maybe it doesn’t matter) makes no sense to me. Go and see some jadeite in real life. Figure out the color you like.

I also want to add that the ring you are/were (?) eyeing had nearly 2 carats in diamonds in the settings. So it adds to the base cost too. I don’t know which forum you go to, but anyone who can reproduce that ring at half the price, pls let me know. I will not reply further as there really isn’t anything new I can add imo re: Kathy.

That is very helpful!! I have been looking around but didn't make my mind. I am purchasing something for my mom so I don't want to give her a cheap one. The pandemic makes it is hard to shop around except online. Came across Kathy Jade and really liked the design. That is why I am asking around for it. I am not rich at all but trying to get a great gift. :) Thank you for getting back to me. It is indeed very helpful!

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock

Now I know which forum to go to :) I guess some people just trying to devalue good items without any ideas..

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I had a lot of fun buying jadeite and enjoy my pieces. You could look at this thread:

There are vendors' details within the thread. It has been stressful at times buying from these vendors but the prices I paid and the certification they gave me (Hong Kong Jade Lab) for the more expensive pieces means that I now have beautiful pieces at reasonable prices.

Caveat emptor: some of these guys on Wechat are horrid to deal with in terms of pictures and videos and they won't respond to queries regarding lines or cracks at times. Sometimes, they will omit details and the setting of the piece could be awful when it arrives. They will use meaningless emojis in response to your queries and drive you insane at times with half-truths - a bit like the witches from Macbeth:lol:. I did enjoy the buying on the whole; learnt a lot. It is a choice I make and it is within my control. Maybe Kathyjade is good to buy from if you are not used to pushing for further details and being extremely candid with them.

Like any piece of jewellery, the vendor would want to achieve a price they believe you can pay for. This can sometimes mean astronomical prices. What is astronomical or not is also subjective.

I learnt from @prs to look at Bonhams prices and not overpay on the auction prices achieved.

The other lesson I learnt is that the more you want a piece of jadeite the more these vendors would push their prices up. And some of these Chinese vendors do actually come to PS to suss out what to do. Never tell the vendors your budget or hint at what you can afford.

Do bargain and walk away if prices don't suit you. There is nothing wrong in going back a few months later and if the piece is still there, to ask if the vendor would now consider your offer.

Finally, Wriston of Asiatique Jewellery sometimes carries jadeite. He had / has this piece:

1612777165816.png

He priced it at 16k sgd. The setting + labour is around 4500 sgd (I think). So about 11 000 sgd goes to the jadeite.

I look at setting and try to estimate the cost of the gem and then see if it is worth buying. That's how I buy any piece of jewellery. That's another lesson I learnt along the way.

I have no idea of its size but it is also lovely and cheaper than KathyJade. You could try to ask him.

Wriston has been easy and lovely to deal with but then I have never bought from Wriston; I have only every done setting of certain gems with him.

I hope you find the piece you love at a great price.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Are there sites that I can buy jade from and be assured it’s high quality? Kind of like the Whiteflash, High Performance Diamond, and Brian Gavin sites but for jade? I’m willing to pay a premium if it takes the guesswork out for me.

This kinda describes Kathy to me. I hate to watch livestreams and don’t like the cat and mouse game that @ChaiK describes. So Kathy works especially when they have sales which is when I usually buy. Plus I like to be able to return stuff when I don’t like them.

Ok, back cos Kathy having some CNY promo and if you register/login to the site you can get some lucky red packet which is like a coupon for discount. Eg for NT50k off if you spend NT150k. The red packet amount is random and you can try everyday. The red packet amount varies from NT2k to NT88k and is from now till 16 Feb.

F561F5DB-6257-4C78-A389-67B9EAC962E4.jpeg

Oh ya and the two Wriston rings in the pics are sold

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade : Livestreams are different from buying over WeChat. Livestreams can take up a lot of time.

I did ask one vendor over Livestream to get me my purple cab and he delivered beautifully.

It's https://www.facebook.com/gdzenghui.

You could add him as a friend and ask him to source for you. He takes a 10% fee but do state that before you go ahead. He does delay so you need to chase him constantly. Other than that, I found his pricing and setting very good. He may say yes, and then not do it for you at all. I think he can be busy at times.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
This kinda describes Kathy to me. I hate to watch livestreams and don’t like the cat and mouse game that @ChaiK describes. So Kathy works especially when they have sales which is when I usually buy. Plus I like to be able to return stuff when I don’t like them.

Ok, back cos Kathy having some CNY promo and if you register/login to the site you can get some lucky red packet which is like a coupon for discount. Eg for NT50k off if you spend NT150k. The red packet amount is random and you can try everyday. The red packet amount varies from NT2k to NT88k and is from now till 16 Feb.

As long as Kathy isn't overpricing terribly, I really want to go with them, just lovely legit pieces. The reason is I know that in China vendors mark really high asking price for jadeite. I've watched a video that a final deal is only 10% of the asking price. That is why I am not sure if Kathy is in similar case and indeed need someone who has experience and can tell the truth so I am not ripped off.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
@icy_jade : Livestreams are different from buying over WeChat. Livestreams can take up a lot of time.

I did ask one vendor over Livestream to get me my purple cab and he delivered beautifully.

It's https://www.facebook.com/gdzenghui.

You could add him as a friend and ask him to source for you. He takes a 10% fee but do state that before you go ahead. He does delay so you need to chase him constantly. Other than that, I found his pricing and setting very good. He may say yes, and then not do it for you at all. I think he can be busy at times.

Thank you very much! This is very helpful too. I will check it out.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the tip. I have registered and logged in but I only see a poster on the main page and not sure how to draw. Have you tried?

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
@icy_jade I am obsessed but keep browsing Kathy Jade. I saw this one is $12500,less than the other one but bigger jade and darker color. I am totally lost... Can you tell why it is cheaper with larger jade? Is it better? Screenshot_20210208-072931.jpg

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
I had a lot of fun buying jadeite and enjoy my pieces. You could look at this thread:

There are vendors' details within the thread. It has been stressful at times buying from these vendors but the prices I paid and the certification they gave me (Hong Kong Jade Lab) for the more expensive pieces means that I now have beautiful pieces at reasonable prices.

Caveat emptor: some of these guys on Wechat are horrid to deal with in terms of pictures and videos and they won't respond to queries regarding lines or cracks at times. Sometimes, they will omit details and the setting of the piece could be awful when it arrives. They will use meaningless emojis in response to your queries and drive you insane at times with half-truths - a bit like the witches from Macbeth:lol:. I did enjoy the buying on the whole; learnt a lot. It is a choice I make and it is within my control. Maybe Kathyjade is good to buy from if you are not used to pushing for further details and being extremely candid with them.

Like any piece of jewellery, the vendor would want to achieve a price they believe you can pay for. This can sometimes mean astronomical prices. What is astronomical or not is also subjective.

I learnt from @prs to look at Bonhams prices and not overpay on the auction prices achieved.

The other lesson I learnt is that the more you want a piece of jadeite the more these vendors would push their prices up. And some of these Chinese vendors do actually come to PS to suss out what to do. Never tell the vendors your budget or hint at what you can afford.

Do bargain and walk away if prices don't suit you. There is nothing wrong in going back a few months later and if the piece is still there, to ask if the vendor would now consider your offer.

Finally, Wriston of Asiatique Jewellery sometimes carries jadeite. He had / has this piece:

1612777165816.png

He priced it at 16k sgd. The setting + labour is around 4500 sgd (I think). So about 11 000 sgd goes to the jadeite.

I look at setting and try to estimate the cost of the gem and then see if it is worth buying. That's how I buy any piece of jewellery. That's another lesson I learnt along the way.

I have no idea of its size but it is also lovely and cheaper than KathyJade. You could try to ask him.

Wriston has been easy and lovely to deal with but then I have never bought from Wriston; I have only every done setting of certain gems with him.

I hope you find the piece you love at a great price.

Is this the vendor you mentioned? Screenshot_20210208-074147.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results