Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany’s jade?

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I’m a complete jade and colored stone newbie. I saw some jade pieces at the local Tiffany & Co. store but I can’t tell if they’re high quality or not. I’d hate to pay a huge premium and realize it’s horribly bleached and dyed jade.

Are there sites that I can buy jade from and be assured it’s high quality? Kind of like the Whiteflash, High Performance Diamond, and Brian Gavin sites but for jade? I’m willing to pay a premium if it takes the guesswork out for me.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several PSers have bought from Kathy Jade

They seem to be pretty reputable

Calling @icy_jade to help you out. I know she's bought quite a few lovely pieces from Kathy Jade and she's a Jade pro.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey am here. Hmm that’s a tough one. Cos Kathy also has quite a bit of commercial quality jade on the site which I wouldn’t recommend (drier and lower quality jadeite). That said my experience has been positive so far and untreated jade. But you kind of have to know how to interpret the pics and descriptions

@southernicetea what do you mean by high quality? Just untreated or really nice glassy/icy variety type? Also what is your budget? Quality jade can go into millions so the question is really what you are looking for and the others on PS who love jade can also steer you to the vendors that they frequent.

For a start maybe you can mention what color and what type of jewelry you are looking for. Then we can maybe advise what can work based on your budget.

PS umm am not a jade pro... don’t dare to claim to be one. I just like jadeite

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your help, @icy_jade and @mellowyellowgirl ! I'm looking for a pendant and maybe a piece to make a custom cuff with. My cuff inspiration comes from Tiffany's Sevillana cuff: https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracelets/elsa-peretti-sevillana-cuff-19490874/. Budget no more than $10k per piece as I intend to pass these pieces down, but I'm very early in the education phase.

I looked through the Kathy Jade site and WOW. What an excellent recommendation! I really like the pieces that looked like a glowy, slightly translucent "dew drop" of green or white, like below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.22.37 PM.png

Ignoring the setting differences, I don't understand enough about the jade to know why they're priced differently. Is the jade in the $7k ring below a less desirable color or heterogeneity?

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.32.48 PM.png

Looking at the prices, I may need to save a bit longer if I want something that looks like those stones.... :shock:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your help, @icy_jade and @mellowyellowgirl ! I'm looking for a pendant and maybe a piece to make a custom cuff with. My cuff inspiration comes from Tiffany's Sevillana cuff: https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracelets/elsa-peretti-sevillana-cuff-19490874/. Budget no more than $10k per piece as I intend to pass these pieces down, but I'm very early in the education phase.

I looked through the Kathy Jade site and WOW. What an excellent recommendation! I really like the pieces that looked like a glowy, slightly translucent "dew drop" of green or white, like below.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.22.37 PM.png

Ignoring the setting differences, I don't understand enough about the jade to know why they're priced differently. Is the jade in the $7k ring below a less desirable color or heterogeneity?

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 7.32.48 PM.png

Looking at the prices, I may need to save a bit longer if I want something that looks like those stones.... :shock:

The second ring has uneven coloring and also less desirable color. It’s apple green vs the first ring which is supposed to be a lusher green. Setting makes a diff in price as well. Kathy does a once a year sale so that’s when it’s best to buy from them (like 20% off). Unfortunately it was just recently so you just missed it.

I know a few of the ladies here have had quite positive experiences buying from fb live-streams. Hopefully they will pop by and give some advice as well as it’s much more affordable to buy from fb live-streams. Someone else also got a beautiful stone through recently from Mona(?). Can’t find the thread but I’ll post the link if I can find it. If you want a stone of that quality, I think fb live-streams could be the best bet? @mellowyellowgirl @ChaiK @Burmesedaze

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have to figure out what green you like first. 10k is a good enough budget.

The Sevillana cuff's stone looks to be nephrite which is more affordable than good green jadeite.

I've gone off livestream for big ticket items and have people sourcing for me from the jade stalls instead, for higher end jadeite :) Since hardly any good greens in larger sizes go to livestream now with jadeite in short supply. I also don't trust colours on websites and my source lady who hunts for me knows my likes and dislikes. I tip her well too, above her commission.

For reference below. 17.5mm. Looking at under 25,000rmb. Lighter green but good water and proportions.

IMG-20201129-WA0013.jpg

The one below is 16.5 x 15.5 with whopper 8.7mm dome. Intense green but less water/translucency. Looking at under 50,000rmb. Opened at 70,000rmb.

IMG-20201128-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201128-WA0002.jpg

If you want size, proportions, good water and intense green... the prices soar thereafter. Imperial green with good dimensions and translucency enough to be termed so are really at the auctions. Thinner silvers or carvings can be found, but they carry a premium I find hard to swallow.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top 3-Stone Engagement Ring 2021 Trends
    Top 3-Stone Engagement Ring 2021 Trends
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations 21/22
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations 21/22
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces
    Top Luxury Classic Pieces

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.