clarity

Tiffany’s jade?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There will always be better for cheaper (by some) but if you are new, I would recommend looking and handling them as much as possible to see what speaks to you and to get a general price sensing.

Buying online regardless of the source will always entail risks and maybe disappointment. Not all retailers entertain returns too. Similarly, if you are not a regular buyer, doesn't mean that the B&M owner will be as upfront or as price-competitive with the info extended to you.

I don't buy from B&M or retail because I have trusted contacts that can source for me. But doesn't mean that's the cuppa tea for all. For example, sellers recommended by some online I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole (e.g. selling Guatemalan jadeite as Myanmar blue water). Also, while I'm happy with my sources, others here have complained and nitpicked about them.

At these price points I would focus on stone quality and size, rather than the setting. The setting can be done by a good setter and Asian setting prices are still more affordable than in the West. The bigger, better and the more diamonds, setting and labour fees rise by much.

If this is going to be the one jade ring for you, slow down, take your time, smell the roses, touch the jade, train your eye, then buy.

When my views diverge by a lot or if I really don't fancy the item/ online retailer (items, photography, setting styles), I don't comment.

I also prefer to buy pricier stones loose, before setting. So I know what I'm paying and getting, as the setting could conceal flaws.

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
That is very helpful!! I have been looking around but didn't make my mind. I am purchasing something for my mom so I don't want to give her a cheap one. The pandemic makes it is hard to shop around except online. Came across Kathy Jade and really liked the design. That is why I am asking around for it. I am not rich at all but trying to get a great gift. :) Thank you for getting back to me. It is indeed very helpful!

Hello! I have learned from all the wonderful ladies that have been giving advice. I finally found someone that I enjoyed working with. She took the guesswork out for me and help me design the setting also. My budget is not as big as those that has been mentioned but I can tell you that it’s worth it. I definitely would have been overcharged in the US at the Asian jewelry store.

IG: @the_threcia_trove

she can source for you or you can buy from her own stock.

You can see me asking questions in the older posts. I have bought on livestream and received help from all the sisters on how to pay it was quite the learning process since I dont speak mandarin

I hope this helps. It has been quite a ride for me in the past year or so since I started.

good luck on your jadeite adventure

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If this is going to be the one jade ring for you, slow down, take your time, smell the roses, touch the jade, train your eye, then buy.

@madelynliu2015 This 100%. It’s took me years to be comfortable to buy jadeite. So I would really hesitate to recommend something for you to buy. You need to get a sense of what you like. And it differs for different people eg some may like darker green, some lighter, etc. so you may not like what I like and vice versa. Also, what appears on screen may look quite different from reality. The color tone matters a lot and it’s just hard to get a sense from buying online.

Re: price, one seller told me it’s a factor of what they bought the piece at. If they got the jade at a good price, they can price lower. If at high price, then higher. Then you have differences in color, brightness, water, stone lines etc... so whenever you ask about pricing, I really don’t know what to say. I wish I know but honestly I don’t.

Just FYI, I’ve almost always bought from Kathy during sales or when they have those online offers. Simply because they are not the cheapest out there. I have also returned many pieces to them when the item wasn’t what I’d expected. But the ones I kept, I’ve been very happy with them.

Another alternative - are you open to preloved? Lang’s has a few nice looking rings. Even if not, good to browse and get a feel of what different colors/water look like. E.g:

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
There will always be better for cheaper (by some) but if you are new, I would recommend looking and handling them as much as possible to see what speaks to you and to get a general price sensing.

Buying online regardless of the source will always entail risks and maybe disappointment. Not all retailers entertain returns too. Similarly, if you are not a regular buyer, doesn't mean that the B&M owner will be as upfront or as price-competitive with the info extended to you.

I don't buy from B&M or retail because I have trusted contacts that can source for me. But doesn't mean that's the cuppa tea for all. For example, sellers recommended by some online I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole (e.g. selling Guatemalan jadeite as Myanmar blue water). Also, while I'm happy with my sources, others here have complained and nitpicked about them.

At these price points I would focus on stone quality and size, rather than the setting. The setting can be done by a good setter and Asian setting prices are still more affordable than in the West. The bigger, better and the more diamonds, setting and labour fees rise by much.

When my views diverge by a lot or if I really don't fancy the item/ online retailer (items, photography, setting styles), I don't comment.

I also prefer to buy pricier stones loose, before setting. So I know what I'm paying and getting, as the setting could conceal flaws.

Thank you for the advice, very helpful!!!! Do you mind sharing your source? I think I want to try buying loose stones to start with my jadeite journey

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
Hello! I have learned from all the wonderful ladies that have been giving advice. I finally found someone that I enjoyed working with. She took the guesswork out for me and help me design the setting also. My budget is not as big as those that has been mentioned but I can tell you that it’s worth it. I definitely would have been overcharged in the US at the Asian jewelry store.

IG: @the_threcia_trove

she can source for you or you can buy from her own stock.

You can see me asking questions in the older posts. I have bought on livestream and received help from all the sisters on how to pay it was quite the learning process since I dont speak mandarin

I hope this helps. It has been quite a ride for me in the past year or so since I started.

good luck on your jadeite adventure

Thank you for sharing your experience!! I will check it out.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
@madelynliu2015 This 100%. It’s took me years to be comfortable to buy jadeite. So I would really hesitate to recommend something for you to buy. You need to get a sense of what you like. And it differs for different people eg some may like darker green, some lighter, etc. so you may not like what I like and vice versa. Also, what appears on screen may look quite different from reality. The color tone matters a lot and it’s just hard to get a sense from buying online.

Re: price, one seller told me it’s a factor of what they bought the piece at. If they got the jade at a good price, they can price lower. If at high price, then higher. Then you have differences in color, brightness, water, stone lines etc... so whenever you ask about pricing, I really don’t know what to say. I wish I know but honestly I don’t.

Just FYI, I’ve almost always bought from Kathy during sales or when they have those online offers. Simply because they are not the cheapest out there. I have also returned many pieces to them when the item wasn’t what I’d expected. But the ones I kept, I’ve been very happy with them.

Another alternative - are you open to preloved? Lang’s has a few nice looking rings. Even if not, good to browse and get a feel of what different colors/water look like. E.g:

It is very challenging to shop online. I think I like clear and transparent jade more. I saw someone posted a personal collection of jadeite jewels. I was astonished. So beautiful! I may not buy pre-owned at this moment before I gain more experience.

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
It is very challenging to shop online. I think I like clear and transparent jade more. I saw someone posted a personal collection of jadeite jewels. I was astonished. So beautiful! I may not buy pre-owned at this moment before I gain more experience.

Here is the screenshot of someone's personal collection I found online. Speechless. IMG_20210209_210228.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Here is the screenshot of someone's personal collection I found online. Speechless. IMG_20210209_210228.jpg

Wow. That’s... a really really expensive collection. Crazy rich Asian standard... I’ll be happy with just 4 cabs... one for ring, one pendant and two for earrings. But... still feels unaffordable lol

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, it’s best not to start with expensive tastes when it comes to jade... Because it only goes up from there. I started with just wanting Grade A jade, then wanting one of each color, and now I aspire towards icy translucent bangles.

For people who are serious about jade, the sky is the limit in terms of what you can pay. The most beautiful bangle I ever saw was shared by this lady on another forum. It was glass-like and a beautiful green from what I remember. And it was a gift to her from her grandparents in China as she was their one and only grandchild. She’s probably wearing a million dollar bangle on her wrist at current prices.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't even buy any because the ones I love at $10K and upwards just for a single cab.

Reactions: prs

madelynliu2015

Rough_Rock
That is why I don't understand the price. How come similar ones I saw online could have 10 times difference in price? I think to have your own trusted sources may be the best choice?

JPGG

Rough_Rock
Trade
I’m a complete jade and colored stone newbie. I saw some jade pieces at the local Tiffany & Co. store but I can’t tell if they’re high quality or not. I’d hate to pay a huge premium and realize it’s horribly bleached and dyed jade.

Are there sites that I can buy jade from and be assured it’s high quality? Kind of like the Whiteflash, High Performance Diamond, and Brian Gavin sites but for jade? I’m willing to pay a premium if it takes the guesswork out for me.

Hi- for what its worth, I hold GG (GIA) diplomas and have been in the jewelry business for a long time. Tiffany & Co does not sell bleached and dyed jade. They will also not sell anything that is assembled. Rest assured you would be purchasing very high quality, CLEAN colored stones if you shop there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results