color
clarity

Thoughts on these two 4ct EC

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the party :razz:

Was C 'the chosen one' in the end?

Personally speaking, I like it the most out of the three options in the A/B/C pics :)

This is a third option. Do you see a bow tie? I feel like it can be so bright and nice and then sometimes a bow tie. But then I will look and examine the others and feel it can sometimes get a little of that??? How do you know for sure? Will the measurements help?
I think that what you are describing here is that sometimes ECs can be 'all-on/all-off' - either completely bright or completely dark - if they are not cut to collect light from a range of directions at a range of tilt angles.

I do like ECs a lot, but there does seem to be many that are all-on/all-off, which means that perhaps 50% of the time you will see a dark stone.

If you can get a stone which has some steps off when some steps are on (so creating contrast patterns and, in turn, increasing the relative brightness of those steps that are lit up, if I understand the science correctly) you should have an interesting stone to look at all the time :)

It seems like C does this, which is great!

Lol. C is the one that I wanted all along but it does have that leakage where someone mentioned seeing thru it. UGH. Now I do see that. I wonder if certain settings will make it less noticeable? I LOVE the shape. I LOVE the steps. The color is “fine”. It’s the only one w out FL :(. But if it didn’t have that one line at bottom - I would pick it hands down. That being said. I would also go w the B option if it was a tiny bit longer or narrower. I’m sure no one will think it but I just love the longer leaner look. I even like 1.45-1.50 ratios. The A is the perfect combo- Ratio, Color is White w FL and looks Bright! I’m worried it does have the bow tie. I can’t do that. But I know no stone will be perfect. My old one was a 7x9 and an 8x10 is not a huge diff and I don’t want that ratio as well. Please feel free to say your thoughts. Again. If you think they are all a No- then so be it.
I believe the phenomena you are experiencing with C is the “windowing” phenomenon, elequently coined by @OoohShiny. He has a REALLY keen eye for that. The fact that it only occurs when the diamond is tilted at a certain angle tells me* it shouldn’t impact the performance of the stone.
ASET would be the only means of confirmation.
I love the facet pattern of C, in addition to the size & l x w ratio. It is quite pleasing to my eyes.
Don't forget that (as I think has been mentioned) diamonds resting on another surface (such as your fingers) changes the refractive index of the touching facet(s), which means they can show leakage that is not there when mounted in a ring :)

Some leakage is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as I understand it - if it is just one or a few facets scattered around the stone, I think it can kind of act the same as obstruction/contrast, in that the brighter steps around it might look relatively brighter as a result, and the leakage/obstruction patterning overall can be attractive if done well.

Yoram's Asscher stones, for example, do show some leakage on the ASETs I've seen posted, but are they ugly? Er... No!!! :lol:

The 'windowing' thing is perhaps an extension of the leakage thing - in that not all facets will work at all angles, so some might go 'leaky' and/or 'window' at some angles. It seems that pears and ovals often have the 'far side' go see-through when rotating (on JA videos) and quite a few ECs have the triangles at the bottom of the short ends go see-through, but if the overall look of the stone is still attractive, I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world (and Karl has even questioned if the EC 'leakage' is just facets not having any light to reflect due to the lighting setup, rather than being 'leaky').

Referring again to Yoram's asschers, find Jimmianne's 'Mildred' thread and check out the tilted ASETs that Yoram has posted (and maybe even in Matthew1127's 7-stone band thread??) - you will see there that the stone(s) show leakage/'windowing' of some facets at some angles, but it's only a facet or two within the rest of the facets that are reflecting, so it doesn't look bad, it just creates visual interest!

Anyway, I am no expert and the above is just my understanding of how things work :tongue: so I am happy to be corrected if/as necessary! lol

FWIW I think the C stone looks great and I can't wait to see it set :))

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the party :razz:

Was C 'the chosen one' in the end?

Personally speaking, I like it the most out of the three options in the A/B/C pics :)

I think that what you are describing here is that sometimes ECs can be 'all-on/all-off' - either completely bright or completely dark - if they are not cut to collect light from a range of directions at a range of tilt angles.

I do like ECs a lot, but there does seem to be many that are all-on/all-off, which means that perhaps 50% of the time you will see a dark stone.

If you can get a stone which has some steps off when some steps are on (so creating contrast patterns and, in turn, increasing the relative brightness of those steps that are lit up, if I understand the science correctly) you should have an interesting stone to look at all the time :)

It seems like C does this, which is great!

Don't forget that (as I think has been mentioned) diamonds resting on another surface (such as your fingers) changes the refractive index of the touching facet(s), which means they can show leakage that is not there when mounted in a ring :)

Some leakage is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as I understand it - if it is just one or a few facets scattered around the stone, I think it can kind of act the same as obstruction/contrast, in that the brighter steps around it might look relatively brighter as a result, and the leakage/obstruction patterning overall can be attractive if done well.

Yoram's Asscher stones, for example, do show some leakage on the ASETs I've seen posted, but are they ugly? Er... No!!! :lol:

The 'windowing' thing is perhaps an extension of the leakage thing - in that not all facets will work at all angles, so some might go 'leaky' and/or 'window' at some angles. It seems that pears and ovals often have the 'far side' go see-through when rotating (on JA videos) and quite a few ECs have the triangles at the bottom of the short ends go see-through, but if the overall look of the stone is still attractive, I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world (and Karl has even questioned if the EC 'leakage' is just facets not having any light to reflect due to the lighting setup, rather than being 'leaky').

Referring again to Yoram's asschers, find Jimmianne's 'Mildred' thread and check out the tilted ASETs that Yoram has posted (and maybe even in Matthew1127's 7-stone band thread??) - you will see there that the stone(s) show leakage/'windowing' of some facets at some angles, but it's only a facet or two within the rest of the facets that are reflecting, so it doesn't look bad, it just creates visual interest!

Anyway, I am no expert and the above is just my understanding of how things work :tongue: so I am happy to be corrected if/as necessary! lol

FWIW I think the C stone looks great and I can't wait to see it set :))

Thank you SO much Oooshiny for your thoughtful response! Yes - C WAS the one until I woke up this am!! yikes.... I just thought about it and to spend this kind of money and not have the med Fl to make it atleast white (to offset the one major bar with leakage that will smack me in the face on occasion) -I could not do it... IF it didn't have that leakage in the bottom - I def could live w the color... It was still so beautiful. So then I was just thinking of going with "B".... which he put next to narrow all one length traps for me bc I was thinking it may help lengthen the stone visually... It did look nice and there was a little "L" bar sometimes leaking thru but it is super duper white and bright and big flashes of light...... BUT now there is a major contender (and to my pocketbook).... a "J" with Med FL that he said was noted on GIA by another vendor as should have been GIA "I" - Therefore, with the MED FL - looks more like an H.. WHOOP WHOOP... that's just a bonus - I just didn't want a dark spot and then to accept a K w out any Med FL to brighten it up.. If you can feel me??? It is MORE money but has excellent specs all around and the video is amazing (I tried saving and narrowing down but it will not allow me to)... I will post a photo that I snapped from the video. It may be grainy but you can get an idea... It's the ratio I want, it's super white (bonus) but the STEPS are exactly what I wanted and loved about the other stone.... but he said there is no leakage at all!! (I'm sure there is - as I have yet to see a perfect stone... in my budget) but I will see it tonight! Thank you again!!!!! You guys are all the best and I honestly could never make this journey alone. Too much money, too much OCD on my behalf and need confirmation when I'm seeing something and not crazy and to receive good to honest opinions from my fellow diamond lovers :) I could never ask any friends, as I would feel so embarrassed on such a luxury... even though I am a jewelry psycho.. for myself, as well as anyone else receiving!! Stay tuned!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An interesting development!

Don't forget, of course, that you can always step off the train and wait for something to come up that hits all of your requirements - don't feel pressured to get something ;-) :)

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
517A3C30-8BA5-4576-A60B-9ECE61ED4E83.jpeg C30B6EB8-1F04-4548-AAF6-CE4EF10418C7.jpeg
The bow tie is the white one (in real life #A). The B stone I do t have pics of - other than the black box photo and the prongs one... today I will get some and then post.

Ok. Calling Mathews1127, Emeraldsaremyfavorite, Caolsen, Diamondlove123, ooohshiny, princessand thepear, here is what I think and hope is really “IT”..... 4ct J Med Fl 1.4 ratio. Beautiful steps and hopefully not much leakage!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
517A3C30-8BA5-4576-A60B-9ECE61ED4E83.jpeg C30B6EB8-1F04-4548-AAF6-CE4EF10418C7.jpeg . Sadly cannot post video even for 2 seconds! Must have a lock on it. But it looks so beautiful. I thought it was the 4.5 K I was going with and he was trying to trick me! Haha. Smaller dimensions but has the ratio (which was most important) along w the steps!!! Hope this is it! More expensive - sadly - but if it’s pretty perfect- it’s a Go!
Feel free to be honest.

Ok. Calling Mathews1127, Emeraldsaremyfavorite, Caolsen, Diamondlove123, ooohshiny, princessand thepear, here is what I think and hope is really “IT”..... 4ct J Med Fl 1.4 ratio. Beautiful steps and hopefully not much leakage!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
An interesting development!

Don't forget, of course, that you can always step off the train and wait for something to come up that hits all of your requirements - don't feel pressured to get something ;-) :)
I agree! That’s why I got off this am but I guess my drop came faster than expected. Lol. We shall see

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
D is lovely. My smaller EC is a J and faces quite white, and that’s with no FL. Assuming you have C still, I’d do what you did before. Line them up, same picture, same light, take a look and a deep breath and really listen to your gut.

Ratios really matter - if D has more of what you want given the setting you’ll put it in, that’s a major plus!

D looks a smidge longer than C, is that right?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D is lovely.
Are you able to evaluate it set inside a setting, on your finger, like the others? Have you seen it up close & personal?
It sounds like it ticks all of your boxes!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE D option. It has a nice step pattern but also it is so Bright and WHITE!!!! Of course, as other suggested, to be safe- just compare by lining them up C and D but hands down based on the photo you shared, D is THE choice. I have gone down the road and bought things that were not 100% but because I saw “value” and I regret it later- buy things that you are sure of, right a way in your gut, those things you’ll never regret and use more often. I am so glad to be part of your journey! So exciting to hear what you’ll chose. Is this also with Adam? Hopefully you can easily compare stones.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
D is lovely. My smaller EC is a J and faces quite white, and that’s with no FL. Assuming you have C still, I’d do what you did before. Line them up, same picture, same light, take a look and a deep breath and really listen to your gut.

Ratios really matter - if D has more of what you want given the setting you’ll put it in, that’s a major plus!

D looks a smidge longer than C, is that right?
. Hi! I’m seeing it tonight but I’m a bit deflated because he put it in a setting (an ugly one which is hard to get past) but it fit the stone. It’s the one w trillions..and I swear it’s all dark in the center. Grrrrrr. It’s actually the same length as “B” and shorter than “C” but narrower than both! So it was fine for me. I honestly think I’m leaning towards B again. Look at these new photos... my Audrey looks terrible!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE D option. It has a nice step pattern but also it is so Bright and WHITE!!!! Of course, as other suggested, to be safe- just compare by lining them up C and D but hands down based on the photo you shared, D is THE choice. I have gone down the road and bought things that were not 100% but because I saw “value” and I regret it later- buy things that you are sure of, right a way in your gut, those things you’ll never regret and use more often. I am so glad to be part of your journey! So exciting to hear what you’ll chose. Is this also with Adam? Hopefully you can easily compare stones.
. Hi yes! He had to return a couple. Lol. Somwe kept “B” bc A had the bow tie and C - DEf had that big leakage at bottom and I just couldn’t get over that in addition to it was the least white. Which again- I absolutely can live with but w out sacrificing anything else. This j isn’t looking so great. Hold on for photos.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
D is lovely.
Are you able to evaluate it set inside a setting, on your finger, like the others? Have you seen it up close & personal?
It sounds like it ticks all of your boxes!
I’m seeing at 6:30 so look back again! But look at these photos :(. It’s a video I cannot load but looks ehhh

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
C looks like a woof woof. :(. “D” doesn’t look as great as I hoped.... “B” looks better and a lot less money. Lol. If J blows it away. I’m in. But still adding a setting and it must not have any dark spots. Other than the bands for steps. Hahahah.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
C looks like a woof woof. :(. “D” doesn’t look as great as I hoped.... “B” looks better and a lot less money. Lol. If J blows it away. I’m in. But still adding a setting and it must not have any dark spots. Other than the bands for steps. Hahahah.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
A is out....
It’s a battle between B, C & D...lol!!
Lol. And C is out now! So B versus D! I just need to know I have to sacrifice something. I am willing to get a 3.20 if it’s the right ratio, steps etc. like a 7 X 10.30? Around there. But I can’t even find that. And Ofcourse that’s in the 40’s bc then I want a F/G color. If going so much smaller.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have been through quite the journey in a short amount of time! Some darkness in ECs is ok, just not as it is not overwhelming. I really encourage you to look back at my post...I compare two Is, virtually the same size, etc. Totally different cut and very evident.

That said, A would be out for me. It would be between B or D. D might be quite beautiful, give it a chance:) Here are the the two Is I saw...I don't even have to tell you which one I chose!

2AD62C09-3044-432B-9115-EAF10EFBAA2B.jpeg 3C1379AC-2AB5-4419-82F0-F74D73E6925D.jpeg

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
You have been through quite the journey in a short amount of time! Some darkness in ECs is ok, just not as it is not overwhelming. I really encourage you to look back at my post...I compare two Is, virtually the same size, etc. Totally different cut and very evident.

That said, A would be out for me. It would be between B or D. D might be quite beautiful, give it a chance:) Here are the the two Is I saw...I don't even have to tell you which one I chose!

2AD62C09-3044-432B-9115-EAF10EFBAA2B.jpeg 3C1379AC-2AB5-4419-82F0-F74D73E6925D.jpeg
lol I remember that post!! Ok - wish me luck and I'll post soon.. East Coast here (not sure where everyone is)... Thank you again....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those stones pressed into the blue foam? That would affect the way they reflect light, AIUI, so it might not be the most representative way to compare them. :)

Man, though, this is hard - finding ECs with everything hitting what one wants is near-impossible!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I still like B the most but you have to go with your heart :) both B and D are stunning diamonds! Something about corner angles on B speaks more to me.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Are those stones pressed into the blue foam? That would affect the way they reflect light, AIUI, so it might not be the most representative way to compare them. :)

Man, though, this is hard - finding ECs with everything hitting what one wants is near-impossible!
You know it sista! :)

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I still like B the most but you have to go with your heart :) both B and D are stunning diamonds! Something about corner angles on B speaks more to me.
Thank you! Hold on for some new ones of D and B

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From what I see from photos I like D. I do not think B will give you enough of a jump in size and you will regret it later. Soooo, I would say D or start fresh!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results