shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these two 4ct EC

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
So A is fluorescence but a bow tie? I like B better but I do see quite a bit of color, is that the lighting?
. Ps. The one next to it (is the lighting BUT it’s a diff stone that I said no to) but I’m seeing it again bc it also hasn’t FL and we were in a room w yellow walls, ceilings, floor and a tiny window and it was dark outside. Lol. So I’m seeing it for closure but I don’t think I like it and it’s not the 1.4 ratio. I think it’s 1.3?? I’ll try and take a pic of that too.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
. Ps. The one next to it (is the lighting BUT it’s a diff stone that I said no to) but I’m seeing it again bc it also hasn’t FL and we were in a room w yellow walls, ceilings, floor and a tiny window and it was dark outside. Lol. So I’m seeing it for closure but I don’t think I like it and it’s not the 1.4 ratio. I think it’s 1.3?? I’ll try and take a pic of that too.
Ok, I’m little confused but I will wait for more pics! What an exciting journey for you to upgrade. I did as well... I love ECs and just wanted bigger. Take your time is my advice. Really be sure of the size! I feel like I always feel like “I could have gone bigger!” And as you know it’s hard to sell a diamond so make sure you check all the boxes with this next one.

I have grown to LOVE more square cut ECs. I know it’s completely personal. I went from a 1:38 to a 1.3 and actually wish I would have gone to like a 1:25. I just kind of think the more squarish ECs look larger, could be in my head. Also, I am not one to get caught up in numbers. My first EC had a table of 70 and my current 69... both sparkled like mad and have absolutely no bow tie. So you are doing the right thing by seeing in person. If you go back through my threads you will see I looked at two color Is in person. One honest to God looked two shades darker. ECs are tricky but also great because I don’t feel you have to stick with that magical perfect color or table/depth! Good luck.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Hello! So you would too? You have a gorgeous diamond and I wish you did it so I could see it! I know I would love it too! I need to find the perfect halo. Intend to like the bezeled ones w ever so tiny diamonds. Antiquèèè... (picture me drawing that word out) lol I’ll post some diff ideas I’m thinking. Tell me which you prefer. More to come this afternoon after I see the stones again. Ps. Does your L have Med Fl? Can you tell me your table and depth? These stones are close to your dimensions. Something like 8 X 10.8 and 7.60 x 10.64. Thanks so much.

Hi, I just looked at the GIA report again- mine is 10.8x8.08x5.43, 65 table, 67 depth. I don’t think there a rule. I used to try to get EC that have small table but I have also seen larger table and shallower depths very nice ones. Mine just happened to have these dimensions which worked. Mine is strong fl- I used to be so against it but whiteflash confirmed no negative impact and when I got it, I think it’s better for lower color with med/strong fl. To make it look whiter and it does! In most lighting it looks white and outside even better! Below is the halo I like with sapphires. I don’t like the round side stones, just the halo with side baguettes for the sapphires. I also like small melee diamond halo too with small melee around the band .

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
0AF03124-5369-4716-98C7-85A77A29C453.jpeg 9437C89D-4369-4684-9E75-52FFA4A0C27C.jpeg
Hi, I just looked at the GIA report again- mine is 10.8x8.08x5.43, 65 table, 67 depth. I don’t think there a rule. I used to try to get EC that have small table but I have also seen larger table and shallower depths very nice ones. Mine just happened to have these dimensions which worked. Mine is strong fl- I used to be so against it but whiteflash confirmed no negative impact and when I got it, I think it’s better for lower color with med/strong fl. To make it look whiter and it does! In most lighting it looks white and outside even better! Below is the halo I like with sapphires. I don’t like the round side stones, just the halo with side baguettes for the sapphires. I also like small melee diamond halo too with small melee around the band .
. Thank you both for your reply’s! Diamondlove and emeraldsaremyfavorite - I will post the pics but sadly some are not that great. Which is unfortunate- as that was the point! I made a decision. I hope I’m right! I’ll let you know once you weigh in!

Attachments

• 90B5BE57-643A-422E-B434-C998C6150346.jpeg
    90B5BE57-643A-422E-B434-C998C6150346.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: AV_

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Yes, it is difficult distinguishing stones from these picitries. I’m thinking the one with the simple baguettes is better cut? The one on the right when both on your hand? Anyhow, can’t wait to see what you do and how you set your new EC!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
0AF03124-5369-4716-98C7-85A77A29C453.jpeg 9437C89D-4369-4684-9E75-52FFA4A0C27C.jpeg . Thank you both for your reply’s! Diamondlove and emeraldsaremyfavorite - I will post the pics but sadly some are not that great. Which is unfortunate- as that was the point! I made a decision. I hope I’m right! I’ll let you know once you weigh in!

I like the pattern of the one with the traps and baguettes. It looks like it’s the one on the right in the photo below on your fingers. But looks like the one on the left in the setting in the below photo is brighter- I guess because of Med FLour? Sorry I am not much help, I would go with your gut and what you think will make you smile more... maybe that isn’t easy to figure out. Ugh, this is hard but also super fun dilemma:). Let us know what you decide and we are looking to sharing the setting journey with you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This angle shows what appears to be leakage; I can see your finger straight through it.
9C756AEF-9FCB-4475-9061-76079E94E869.png

This angle really isn’t straight on of both stones, but I favor the one on the left, in this photo.
It would be easier, if both were face-up, on the same angle, on your hand.

Good luck with your search! This is so fun!!! :appl:

BE2ADA43-4D49-454C-8C1B-CBB776F91D02.png

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
This angle shows what appears to be leakage; I can see your finger straight through it.

This angle really isn’t straight on of both stones, but I favor the one on the left, in this photo.

Thanks all! I’m going to try and post more photos that are much more accurate. The one on the baguettes (in person) doesn’t show anything thru (I wonder why it is in photo? Does that mean I’m just not seeing it, but it is still there)? And the one on the left does have Med Fl but has a big ring around it w what I perseaved to be leakage. The baguette one on video has no leakage at all. My concern is “brightness”. Should I be going for that over the “look” of the cut? Would the dimensions help you? How do I calculate the crown? Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help! The one w the baguettes is 4.51 10.89 X 7.94X 5.37. Table 64 depth 67.6.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
07F83259-8A79-43FC-93E6-F1BED6B8B12F.jpeg E1FF59B1-B7A3-4988-9904-E29B4E117C9F.jpeg

I have a few EC Stones. I’m in agreement that stones with the bow tie like effect or ‘bling belly’ will distract massively from the hall of mirror effect. The body color issues is so hard to wrap one’s head around outside of a setting.

The red nail polish picture - This is a J, excellent polish, VG symmetry no FL, VS1 1.51 CT center. This stone is set very low in the setting. The bezel is just below the table. In very particular light situations you can see a hint of color in the corners. But it’s rare. For me, this stone’s freakishly nice mirror/swimming pool effect is was what sold me.

The 4 ring stack - It is a E, VVS1 .81 - it is a slightly different cut with less chopped corners. It is set much more openly with probably 1/3 of the stone open above the body of the actual prong base. It’s a different beast to the 1.51. I always say this one is about subtle sophistication and the 1.51 is in you face. A Monet vs Picasso sort of thing...

I’ve always thought that with EC’s you have to make your peace with less/no ‘fire’ visual effect per se. I presume the visual effect of the mirroring is what you like about the cut so I’d say go with a stone and a setting that highlights and helps to show off a hallway of mirrors you’d want to walk down all day long.

Last edited:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
75702FA0-8165-40A6-9A4D-DABFE9710706.jpeg 7C58F8F3-AC83-4AE3-A98B-F08FC2F437DC.jpeg 834733F0-B62E-4678-9E88-8CFB6BF1399D.jpeg 7264ACC9-7DDE-405B-BD11-91DEA505227A.jpeg 0307270E-5CD8-425D-8AA1-B7BDC7AB5BA8.jpeg CBED3404-BC58-4DC6-A17B-9D9A3880E44E.jpeg
Thanks all! I’m going to try and post more photos that are much more accurate. The one on the baguettes (in person) doesn’t show anything thru (I wonder why it is in photo? Does that mean I’m just not seeing it, but it is still there)? And the one on the left does have Med Fl but has a big ring around it w what I perseaved to be leakage. The baguette one on video has no leakage at all. My concern is “brightness”. Should I be going for that over the “look” of the cut? Would the dimensions help you? How do I calculate the crown? Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help! The one w the baguettes is 4.51 10.89 X 7.94X 5.37. Table 64 depth 67.6.

Thanks so much Mathews1127! I know. I agree. But when I would see it myself -it wasn’t there. All the rest have something similar. UGH but in photos the one I picked looks terrible now and the Med Fl which I discounted right away is so bright. Look at a few more at various angles and please give me your thoughts. Thank you again.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
07F83259-8A79-43FC-93E6-F1BED6B8B12F.jpeg E1FF59B1-B7A3-4988-9904-E29B4E117C9F.jpeg

I have a few EC Stones. I’m in agreement that stones with the bow tie like effect or ‘bling belly’ will distract massively from the hall of mirror effect. The body color issues is so hard to wrap one’s head around outside of a setting.

The red nail polish picture - This is a J, excellent polish, VG symmetry no FL, VS1 1.51 CT center. This stone is set very low in the setting. The bezel is just below the table. In very particular light situations you can see a hint of color in the corners. But it’s rare. For me, this stone’s freakishly nice mirror/swimming pool effect is was what sold me.

The 4 ring stack - It is a E, VVS1 .81 - it is a slightly different cut with less chopped corners. It is set much more openly with probably 1/3 of the stone open above the body of the actual prong base. It’s a different beast to the 1.51. I always say this one is about subtle sophistication and the 1.51 is in you face. A Monet vs Picasso sort of thing...

I’ve always thought that with EC’s you have to make your peace with less/no ‘fire’ visual effect per se. I presume the visual effect of the mirroring is what you like about the cut so I’d say go with a stone and a setting that highlights and helps to show off a hallway of mirrors you’d want to walk down all day long.
Coalson! WOW! Thank you so much for your response, along with your beautiful photos! I know that I absolutely need to forego something (when one has a budget :). I wanted the mirrored steps so badly that I was willing to pick the only stone that was not as white as the 5 others. One was less expensive and a 5ct (w med Flo), the other is a 4.20 w Med Fl and then this 4.50 w out Fl. But then in the photos - it doesn’t look as great. I am going to go back to see them on Monday. I’m probably driving everyone nuts.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
75702FA0-8165-40A6-9A4D-DABFE9710706.jpeg 7C58F8F3-AC83-4AE3-A98B-F08FC2F437DC.jpeg 834733F0-B62E-4678-9E88-8CFB6BF1399D.jpeg 7264ACC9-7DDE-405B-BD11-91DEA505227A.jpeg 0307270E-5CD8-425D-8AA1-B7BDC7AB5BA8.jpeg CBED3404-BC58-4DC6-A17B-9D9A3880E44E.jpeg

Thanks so much Mathews1127! I know. I agree. But when I would see it myself -it wasn’t there. All the rest have something similar. UGH but in photos the one I picked looks terrible now and the Med Fl which I discounted right away is so bright. Look at a few more at various angles and please give me your thoughts. Thank you again.

Looking at the additional photos, it’s a tough call.
You have to go with the one that pleases you IRL. Preference is everything with step cuts.
I was initially a fan of #1. Now, I’d be happy with either. You have to let your eyes & your heart choose. :mrgreen2:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Coalson! WOW! Thank you so much for your response, along with your beautiful photos! I know that I absolutely need to forego something (when one has a budget :). I wanted the mirrored steps so badly that I was willing to pick the only stone that was not as white as the 5 others. One was less expensive and a 5ct (w med Flo), the other is a 4.20 w Med Fl and then this 4.50 w out Fl. But then in the photos - it doesn’t look as great. I am going to go back to see them on Monday. I’m probably driving everyone nuts.

No nuts being driven - if you’re on PS as we are, you’re Jimmy Carter with the whole damn peanut plantation already :)

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
No nuts being driven - if you’re on PS as we are, you’re Jimmy Carter with the whole damn peanut plantation already :)
Hahahha. Thanks so much for that :). What are your thoughts on the new photos?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the additional photos, it’s a tough call.
You have to go with the one that pleases you IRL. Preference is everything with step cuts.
I was initially a fan of #1. Now, I’d be happy with either. You have to let your eyes & your heart choose. :mrgreen2:
I honestly wish someone would just say - hey- this is the best performing one (not perfect) but checks most of the boxes. I asked Adam- but he said what you said. He’s so nice. Initially when he showed me the one w out Fl (which I picked) he said this is it! Then he found the one w FL and he said - this is better! I then only saw that one (w the FL) and it was dark and a yellow room, etc and didn’t like it and only wanted to see the original one w out Fl. Then I really loved it (except it was not as white) as any of the others. He then showed me the 2 side by side. The FL one looked like a diff stone. Much, much better. But at diff angles I could see the thick band. Whereas - not really w the None FL one... thus my picking it. BUT - upon viewing all the photos - the one I picked looks shabby or blurry or yellow in most of them. Also- the outdoor photos - it looks dark and flat. But in real life very white. It’s funny- it almost looks hazy- as if it weren’t w Strong FL. What do you think of the number? Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
DE04E36E-5C16-4702-A696-69FAA227BCA9.jpeg

I screen grabbed the two photos I like best, think they are different stones. Few observations I have when narrowing stones for consideration. Take the exact same photo, same light, same finger, same backdrop and then AND ONLY THEN compare. For example - the med/slight FL stone is on your fingers, looks lovely and the other is in tweezers/tongs. The focus on the tong stone is not quite crisp so you can’t see the cuts on the shoulders. The bounce back of light is totally different between a stone being held up in tweezers vs one sitting on your skin where light will bounce and refract differently as it’s obstructed on the backside.

But these are my favorites. I think the hallway effect is the most beautiful and Versailles like in these two.

Back against the wall, I like the Med FL one on the right that’s on your hand.

Last edited:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

I screen grabbed the two photos I like best, think they are different stones. Few observations I have when narrowing stones for consideration. Take the exact same photo, same light, same finger, same backdrop and then AND ONLY THEN compare. For example - the med/slight FL stone is on your fingers, looks lovely and the other is in tweezers/tongs. The focus on the tong stone is not quite crisp so you can’t see the cuts on the shoulders. The bounce back of light is totally different between a stone being held up in tweezers vs one sitting on your skin where light will bounce and refract differently as it’s obstructed on the backside.

But these are my favorites. I think the hallway effect is the most beautiful and Versailles like in these two.

. THANK YOU so much for that! Yes they are 2 diff stones. The one on left is the one I had picked bc I could see the lines in the Med one in my hand. So I think I should do as you said and compare the 2 in same setting!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
54C953E6-821B-4674-9587-FD6138B635EB.jpeg
. THANK YOU so much for that! Yes they are 2 diff stones. The one on left is the one I had picked bc I could see the lines in the Med one in my hand. So I think I should do as you said and compare the 2 in same setting!
Coalsen- does this help at all? It’s the non Fl in my hand - compared to the other with FL in my hand like you posted.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

Wait So do you think if I bezeled the Med Fl one that it would not show the leakage line in my hand?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
B89DDB75-FE5D-4312-A9C9-2F4F28F16F36.jpeg F828E21D-EFF3-4082-97B6-5C4EB4D6E061.jpeg
Wait So do you think if I bezeled the Med Fl one that it would not show the leakage line in my hand?

I’m an enthusiast amateur, not a ‘pro’ but I am not sure that stone on the right has meaningful light leakage. My understanding is the leakage on step cuts is a totally different beast than brilliants. Sort of apples and cumquats.

I see no marked difference in what appear to be the dark, aka the reflection zones in either stone. All of my EV are graded VG/Excellent on cut and I see those. Here are two another EC rings I have. The center yellow is a sapphire. The other is a band with 6 TEENY TINY EC set careé style. One in PLT amen one in 18C YG. I just looked at 5 rings with step cuts including a IF, D .50 ascher Excellent polish, cut and symmetry and I see those lines.

A Step Cut is a classic prism more than a BC. It will separate and refract light differently. I’ve been told that the hallway effect in a EC just can’t be compared to a bow tie in terms of light leakage. If you see through the stone, true that is a cut angle issue and I’ve always found those are easy to spot, without a loupe - as if you’re looking through a window. #boring

Now, <steps on soap box> for the setting. If you’re going with a very simple prong setting, the stone gets the veto above everything else. But if your going for anything more intricate, then find a stone that works in your setting. So much of the end product is about the light permitted or not permitted into the rock. It’s a partnership between the two.

Some times I think we can forget that stone has to work IN THE setting, not that the setting has to be compromised for the rock. Do you like bezels? Don’t go with a bezel to make the rock work. Me, I’m a violent hand talker so bezels on my everyday rings are a practicality & I like them. I whack the hell out of my rings. The days I wear my opal, moonstone or tanzanite rings I have to be really mindful. Me, I am not a big halo fan so no amount of amazing craftsmanship will make me like an amazing stone surrounded my bright white meleé halo work. Not my cup of tea.

You have to LOVE the entire honking chuck of rock and metal on your hand, not just the constituent parts. <off soap box>

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
4CB0815C-F646-4A63-B71B-AAD9F29C7139.jpeg 8CF39B62-FEFF-4E02-903C-E714C1F266F7.jpeg Case in point, I as a rule don’t need like princess cut stones. Never have - don’t like the compromise to save rough, want bling, get a modified brilliant cut, want a square, get a step cut and those corners are just asking to be chipped. But when I saw this ring, I could not grab my wallet fast enough. It’s a PC, fully set in a solid gold (975. 23.75 carat) ring. It is the heaviest, most glorious thing. The PC totally works in this ring.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really don’t think I can be much help since I initially picked the one with no florescence and then change my mind based on the other pictures. So what Im inclined to say is to possibly pass on both, and I know that’s not what you want to hear! Light leakage and a bowtie would definitely bug me, and so would a stone that shows too much tint. This is a huge diamond and you want it to be your forever, at least I think you do:) BUT... If you go back and you are in love with one then I say go with that! Your gut should be telling you one where the other.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I know light leakage will bother me. It did when I found a great deal 5ct k color but i could see through the temp setting metal so it bugged me that I returned it. Similar to Emeraldsaremyfavourite- I feel like you don’t love either 100% and neither seem perfect so as hard it maybe- maybe pick neither? Or forget about numbers and all stuff on paper and just go with what your eyes like to see more. For me- mine has strong flour so this helped to make it even whiter outside. I like that a lot.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I really don’t think I can be much help since I initially picked the one with no florescence and then change my mind based on the other pictures. So what Im inclined to say is to possibly pass on both, and I know that’s not what you want to hear! Light leakage and a bowtie would definitely bug me, and so would a stone that shows too much tint. This is a huge diamond and you want it to be your forever, at least I think you do:) BUT... If you go back and you are in love with one then I say go with that! Your gut should be telling you one where the other.
. Ok. Side by side and throwing in another for good measure.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
78A7DC62-98E4-468F-B16B-78B276889EC8.jpeg 8EED1660-54F5-4CE9-8924-742ABB413DB1.jpeg 42F206CC-9C09-4CF6-B815-7D266C98346B.jpeg

Attachments

• 208B6058-4D5A-474C-BCDD-361FEAE25F26.jpeg
    208B6058-4D5A-474C-BCDD-361FEAE25F26.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 21

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

This is a third option. Do you see a bow tie? I feel like it can be so bright and nice and then sometimes a bow tie. But then I will look and examine the others and feel it can sometimes get a little of that??? How do you know for sure? Will the measurements help?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a third option. Do you see a bow tie? I feel like it can be so bright and nice and then sometimes a bow tie. But then I will look and examine the others and feel it can sometimes get a little of that??? How do you know for sure? Will the measurements help?

I see bow tie in A. I see less bow tie in B & C. I love the l x w ratio of C & its size more than B.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results