shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these two 4ct EC

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
C for me!
Lol. C is the one that I wanted all along but it does have that leakage where someone mentioned seeing thru it. UGH. Now I do see that. I wonder if certain settings will make it less noticeable? I LOVE the shape. I LOVE the steps. The color is “fine”. It’s the only one w out FL :(. But if it didn’t have that one line at bottom - I would pick it hands down. That being said. I would also go w the B option if it was a tiny bit longer or narrower. I’m sure no one will think it but I just love the longer leaner look. I even like 1.45-1.50 ratios. The A is the perfect combo- Ratio, Color is White w FL and looks Bright! I’m worried it does have the bow tie. I can’t do that. But I know no stone will be perfect. My old one was a 7x9 and an 8x10 is not a huge diff and I don’t want that ratio as well. Please feel free to say your thoughts. Again. If you think they are all a No- then so be it.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They appear to be all the same color right? A has the most leakage in my opinion, you will see more dark moments with that one. I personally like the ratio of B the best but the best cut one... from the pics is C.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still prefer C, overall. BUT, you HAVE to LOVE it.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I see bow tie in A. I see less bow tie in B & C. I love the l x w ratio of C & its size more than B.
Mathews1127 - what are your thoughts on the line at bottom. I’ll post pic... and for some reason outside it looks - well - not crystal clear?? Like the ones w Med FL Maybe that’s why?? Do you like the pattern in C? Ps. Honestly- my husband is going to choke me. And I can’t thank you enough for helping me work thru my thoughts. I have to get it right. I cannot do this again. Lol.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mathews1127 - what are your thoughts on the line at bottom. I’ll post pic... and for some reason outside it looks - well - not crystal clear?? Like the ones w Med FL Maybe that’s why?? Do you like the pattern in C? Ps. Honestly- my husband is going to choke me. And I can’t thank you enough for helping me work thru my thoughts. I have to get it right. I cannot do this again. Lol.

I believe the phenomena you are experiencing with C is the “windowing” phenomenon, elequently coined by @OoohShiny. He has a REALLY keen eye for that. The fact that it only occurs when the diamond is tilted at a certain angle tells me* it shouldn’t impact the performance of the stone.
ASET would be the only means of confirmation.
I love the facet pattern of C, in addition to the size & l x w ratio. It is quite pleasing to my eyes.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the phenomena you are experiencing with C is the “windowing” phenomenon, elequently coined by @OoohShiny. He has a REALLY keen eye for that. The fact that it only occurs when the diamond is tilted at a certain angle tells me* it shouldn’t impact the performance of the stone.
ASET would be the only means of confirmation.
I love the facet pattern of C, in addition to the size & l x w ratio. It is quite pleasing to my eyes.
Ok. You made my day. I love it so much except for that one thing but I would prefer to have those steps in a C and ratio. It looks so elegant to me and while it’s not perfect, it’s kind of like an “Aspiring”.... Hepburn... as in Audrey :). Elegant, timeless and beautiful. Aspiring I know but I think I’ll take it. Last photo!!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I love her!! I love her set with baguettes, best!!! Perfect!! :love:
You must name her “Audrey”!
. Whoop!!!!! I just said the same thing! I Love this gold setting too! Haha. I wear both but I must say in the YG - she looks very bright and white. Is that my imagination? I was planning on platinum. I may do a temporary setting until I decide for sure but for now I say simple and elegant, like Audrey ought to be. THANK YOU so much and also- to Emeraldsaremyfavorite and Diamondlove123, Caolsen, Mathews1127! I could not have made a decision w out you guys. Thank you!!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, great choice! What ever happened to your other EC? Was Grace able to sell it?

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
So glad you were able to chose the one that will make you happy. C has the largest size which I would not take lightly because after a while, you start to wonder if you have maximized size in your search given all other criteria. At least I know I did and there’s no looking back. C stood out the most for me side by side between the three stones as well. It has a very nice pattern/step and again- biggest so my eyes were drawn to that one. Congrats! Cannot wait to see what you decide with your setting. I must say this search/ your thread has made the past couple of days very fun outside of the daily work/kids/family. I live vicariously through you.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

These are all very big and beautiful stones. You’re not going to go wrong either way (yeah)! That said, I like C. This is a damn close running, A is lovely as well.

Why is B last? For me the corner ratios just aren’t as elegant when I see all 3 lined up, side by side.

C, A, B - that’s my win, place, show trifecta bet but unlike at the race track, there is NO losing on this one, all three of these ponies are runners :)

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
So glad you were able to chose the one that will make you happy. C has the largest size which I would not take lightly because after a while, you start to wonder if you have maximized size in your search given all other criteria. At least I know I did and there’s no looking back. C stood out the most for me side by side between the three stones as well. It has a very nice pattern/step and again- biggest so my eyes were drawn to that one. Congrats! Cannot wait to see what you decide with your setting. I must say this search/ your thread has made the past couple of days very fun outside of the daily work/kids/family. I live vicariously through you.

Hi diamondlove123- I totally hear you. I actually went and had been trying to find a 3.5ct even 3cts (again needing that 1.4 ratio w the fantastic steps, no light leakage, white, etc but then wanted a higher color - which I can accomplish in my budget). That being said- I could not seem to find that w an approx size of 7.30-10.30+. (My previous stone was a 7.06 X 9) so it had to be worth it the I upgrading process. My old one was an F, as you know. Therefore - as you said- something’s gotta give.... But, in all honesty, I am definitely not married to a 4.5ct or even a 4ct. I just want the ratio, along w the other factors. I actually preferred smaller bc I have always wanted a halo. I’m not sure I would do that w this stone bc I think it would just be too big at that point. I, unfortunately lost out on a 3.40ct I/VVS2 (1.41) w med FL (7.18 X 10.25) bc it was scooped up the next day. So that one I loved and would not have looked back on. The prob seems to be the ratio for me. Not that many options out there. I found a 5ct L w strong FL that looked absolutely spectacular but (I really don’t want that size) and it had to be shipped in and it’s risky bc it could be hazy or not as great as the photograph. The other stones I was showing you all were 4.00 and 4.50 and 4.60 (the biggest one was shorter but wider). The 4ct was almost the same length and thinner (which I loved) but bad the bow tie. So that would have been perfect. Although- it didn’t have the perfect steps I’m after. But- I would have gone w that one. So there I am!!!! Now my husband is telling me to get the Asscher! It is WHITE and beautiful steps and big for an upgrade. So that check every box except it’s an asscher. Lol. Any advice??? I’ll forward photo. Hahha
Thanks again and your diamond is GORG. I hope mine looks half as beautiful.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
87614C83-0FB6-4982-91D4-514E4D6AA831.jpeg 26239450-E0DB-4E8F-96E8-E315CE47A1FC.jpeg

Hi diamondlove123- I totally hear you. I actually went and had been trying to find a 3.5ct even 3cts (again needing that 1.4 ratio w the fantastic steps, no light leakage, white, etc but then wanted a higher color - which I can accomplish in my budget). That being said- I could not seem to find that w an approx size of 7.30-10.30+. (My previous stone was a 7.06 X 9) so it had to be worth it the I upgrading process. My old one was an F, as you know. Therefore - as you said- something’s gotta give.... But, in all honesty, I am definitely not married to a 4.5ct or even a 4ct. I just want the ratio, along w the other factors. I actually preferred smaller bc I have always wanted a halo. I’m not sure I would do that w this stone bc I think it would just be too big at that point. I, unfortunately lost out on a 3.40ct I/VVS2 (1.41) w med FL (7.18 X 10.25) bc it was scooped up the next day. So that one I loved and would not have looked back on. The prob seems to be the ratio for me. Not that many options out there. I found a 5ct L w strong FL that looked absolutely spectacular but (I really don’t want that size) and it had to be shipped in and it’s risky bc it could be hazy or not as great as the photograph. The other stones I was showing you all were 4.00 and 4.50 and 4.60 (the biggest one was shorter but wider). The 4ct was almost the same length and thinner (which I loved) but bad the bow tie. So that would have been perfect. Although- it didn’t have the perfect steps I’m after. But- I would have gone w that one. So there I am!!!! Now my husband is telling me to get the Asscher! It is WHITE and beautiful steps and big for an upgrade. So that check every box except it’s an asscher. Lol. Any advice??? I’ll forward photo. Hahha
7FF11275-553F-43CC-B65C-A0B1489EFDCB.jpeg 076E1447-D922-43E7-A662-898DB24A5DE8.jpeg 8801295E-C793-4A1A-BAD9-86E9ADEFF730.jpeg 91ABF982-2A8B-47DA-B471-6C049171B263.jpeg 46A57928-F089-4B78-A3DD-326D63E19B6E.jpeg

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
These are all very big and beautiful stones. You’re not going to go wrong either way (yeah)! That said, I like C. This is a damn close running, A is lovely as well.

Why is B last? For me the corner ratios just aren’t as elegant when I see all 3 lined up, side by side.

C, A, B - that’s my win, place, show trifecta bet but unlike at the race track, there is NO losing on this one, all three of these ponies are runners :)
Awe. Aren’t you the best! Thanks so much. I was actually sitting here all stressed again bc it’s such a large purchase and I cannot do this again. I pray C looks as white in Platinum bc in YG it Is white! Also w that gold under basket - I think it helped keep the white color elevated. I asked him if I should do that w the new setting and the rest in platinum. So the basket in YG (sounds strange I know but we shall see). Hahah. Ps. The B one I actually didn’t like the corners either. I never mentioned that bc it was too short w ratio but I prefer less clipped ones! Thx again. You guys are all the best.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock

I actually like that the asscher isn’t a perfect square, it gives a bit of vintage feel. Also, I can see this one is white and the size you can still halo and not seem so huge, like in your face but still huge rock if you know what I mean. Although I am seeing some light leakage when it’s in a setting. Not sure if it’s that’s evident in real life. The thing is- don’t get it if you’ll just be trading it in later for an EC. You have to love the shape and I feel sometimes that is the most important. It can be a well cut bright whatever but if you don’t love the shape, you’ll be wishing it looks like something else. When I went through the process, I felt that I was a pain for everyone around me and on this forum for not being decisive (I was talking about my other diamond purchases- not the EC). but now that you’re going through it, I am just so happy we can help you in anyway talking through the process. I, too, am a lover of halo. I will share with you my old EC halo that I sold. But I know ECs with baguettes are very timeless so you cannot go wrong.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like that the asscher isn’t a perfect square, it gives a bit of vintage feel. Also, I can see this one is white and the size you can still halo and not seem so huge, like in your face but still huge rock if you know what I mean. Although I am seeing some light leakage when it’s in a setting. Not sure if it’s that’s evident in real life. The thing is- don’t get it if you’ll just be trading it in later for an EC. You have to love the shape and I feel sometimes that is the most important. It can be a well cut bright whatever but if you don’t love the shape, you’ll be wishing it looks like something else. When I went through the process, I felt that I was a pain for everyone around me and on this forum for not being decisive (I was talking about my other diamond purchases- not the EC). but now that you’re going through it, I am just so happy we can help you in anyway talking through the process. I, too, am a lover of halo. I will share with you my old EC halo that I sold. But I know ECs with baguettes are very timeless so you cannot go wrong.
Thank you fo that! My one daughter just said the same thing. She said - stop talking yourself into the Asscher. You are an EC Girl and always have been! 28 years and counting :). So that’s it. I just secretly wish (not so secretly I guess) that it was a Med FL and I could absolutely live w everything else (which is only the possible line at the bottom which prob is leakage but I don’t care at this point bc every stone I have seen - has had some sort of leakage somewhere. Hahhaha And if that was not leakage - it’s some Line that seems to be following my eyes to whichever stone I have looked at! Lol. Not JK. I could pass this and move to something else but I’ve been looking for a long time and I’ve only come across 3 potential stones in 3 years and they all sold before I could get my wallet out! Ps. Let’s see the halo!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
They appear to be all the same color right? A has the most leakage in my opinion, you will see more dark moments with that one. I personally like the ratio of B the best but the best cut one... from the pics is C.
. So sorry I missed this. Yes, they are all a K and 2 w Med FL Exocet mine. :). I saw a J w Med FL. Super WHITE but an 8 x 10 and looked like my old stone. So that was a no. I think that A could have been perfect but I did see a bow tie :). B is ever so slightly fatter and shorter (my old one was a 1.26) and I read somewhere you wished you had done that ratio too?? Earlier, I thought the wider stone would make it look bigger (and then I saw a friend’s that was smaller but longer and looked so beautiful on her hand (and bigger to me bc she had traps on the side and voila.. she accomplished both length and width). My hands are very small and the length I think looks more flattering on me. So the halo was going to help lengthen my fingers. Atleast the ratio will now :). I would love to halo but It may be overkill and I’m pretty conservative (except w jewelry - clearly). But I like very simple, Classic, timeless styles. I swear I should have been born in the 20-50’s. LOVE those eras. So the halo may be coming around the corner before I do! We shall see. I may just set it w the simple baguettes until I decide. I love traps too- but not sure how that would look since I like the narrowness of this stone. I’m open to suggestions. I loved following your journey. Your ring looks beautiful! I’m so glad you changed it to get it perfect!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So excited for you! I really think the color will look fine in WG. A very dainty halo wouldn’t not look obnoxious or the baguettes are always classic. Go to Jean Dousset for inspiration, his EC settings are exquisite with an exquisite price tag:lol: he has the most divine settings in my opinion.
https://jeandousset.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/halle/

Question for you: your old ring is pretty much my exact setting. I see you had a chanel band with it, did you like it? I’m having a hard time finding the right band.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you! I really think the color will look fine in WG. A very dainty halo wouldn’t not look obnoxious or the baguettes are always classic. Go to Jean Dousset for inspiration, his EC settings are exquisite with an exquisite price tag:lol: he has the most divine settings in my opinion.
https://jeandousset.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/halle/

Question for you: your old ring is pretty much my exact setting. I see you had a chanel band with it, did you like it? I’m having a hard time finding the right band.

Ooh. Thank you! I’ll look at that site! I am like you and super picky. I just told Adam I want to have 2 bands made (eternity) but whisper thin (think 1.3 1.4) with bright full cut diamonds. I will need to go down in color to match the stone. Let me attach what I’m thinking. But to answer your question- I wore simple matching diamond eternity bands as aguards. One on each side. Channel set (which I’m not a channel girl but they looked best)! It didn’t distract and was timeless. It also helped keep my ET the main attraction. So there is something to be said for going back to basics. Depending on this setting - I think I shall do something like this... again - one in each side. Hold on whole I find my photo.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
F9375270-463A-46A7-A1A5-D8D1B8EA61AA.jpeg 2 Thin bands like Mark Latterson’s here
Ooh. Thank you! I’ll look at that site! I am like you and super picky. I just told Adam I want to have 2 bands made (eternity) but whisper thin (think 1.3 1.4) with bright full cut diamonds. I will need to go down in color to match the stone. Let me attach what I’m thinking. But to answer your question- I wore simple matching diamond eternity bands as aguards. One on each side. Channel set (which I’m not a channel girl but they looked best)! It didn’t distract and was timeless. It also helped keep my ET the main attraction. So there is something to be said for going back to basics. Depending on this setting - I think I shall do something like this... again - one in each side. Hold on whole I find my photo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results