shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a plan.

I like Princesss suggestion about making 2 scenarios with your FI.

I totally get you on eating out. I HATE eating in. It''s hard. We are both tired, it takes time, etc. BUT the single best thing we do is the meal planning/2 week shopping trip. Say, "we will eat out 2x a week, and 3x a weekend" or whatever your goal is, then do the math for the other meals. Grocery shopping is unbearable IMO (yeah, I am spoiled too) so only doing one super-thorough trip saves time/$/energy. Like ripping off a band-aid.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:59:31 PM
Author: Miscka
Sounds like a plan.

I totally get you on eating out. I HATE eating in. It''s hard. We are both tired, it takes time, etc. BUT the single best thing we do is the meal planning/2 week shopping trip. Say, ''we will eat out 2x a week, and 3x a weekend'' or whatever your goal is, then do the math for the other meals. Grocery shopping is unbearable IMO (yeah, I am spoiled too) so only doing one super-thorough trip saves time/$/energy. Like ripping off a band-aid.
FI and I WILL be sitting down tonight and doing the 2 scenario thing!

I''m glad I''m not the only spoiled brat, Miscka! I was starting to feel like diva.
20.gif
I''m not against sacrificing, but sometimes I don''t have the self-control to do so. Bad!

Im doing the math right now, and with what we make... we could *easily* save 1000/month. That''s sad. We could, and we don''t. We could have 12,000 by august of next year if we tried. That is seriously giving me some perspective.

Another big issue: Saying no to going out with friends. We say yes to everything!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Holy jeez that''s a lot of eating out!!!
23.gif

So here''s what might help curb the eating-at-home-laziness (not meant in a mean way of course): add up what you''re spending every week. If that number isn''t shocking enough, add it up for the month. It should be a large number. Then think about that number x 12 months and how much you could save then!

That''s how I kicked my Starbucks habit. I keep trying to get FI to kick his lunch out habit, but it''s hard for him since he''s always on the road and can''t microwave something and isn''t the biggest fan of sandwiches.
40.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
heh, I like the *idea* of sacrificing much more than the act
11.gif

I am a lot like you in that regard, but luckily DH is super good at sacrificing and has taken care of himself $$ wise for longer, and on less than I ever could, me being spoiled and all.

So, when I want to go out to dinner instead of eating whatever boring stuff we have at home he talks me out of it and starts dinner. Not exciting, but after all, it''s just food. We are better cooks for it. Such is life.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:06:04 PM
Author: sunnyd
Holy jeez that's a lot of eating out!!!
23.gif

So here's what might help curb the eating-at-home-laziness (not meant in a mean way of course): add up what you're spending every week. If that number isn't shocking enough, add it up for the month. It should be a large number. Then think about that number x 12 months and how much you could save then!

That's how I kicked my Starbucks habit. I keep trying to get FI to kick his lunch out habit, but it's hard for him since he's always on the road and can't microwave something and isn't the biggest fan of sandwiches.
40.gif
Yes. We are sick individuals.
9.gif

You're so right about looking at what you spend. It is seriously disturbing. I just did a comparison of how much we make, vs how much our bills are. There's like 2000/month that I cant account for.
23.gif

What the HELL are we doing with that money?!?!?!

Starbucks must be shocking! 3.50/drink... 5 days a week. 52 weeks a year? 900 bucks?? Sick!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:05:46 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Sounds like a plan.

I totally get you on eating out. I HATE eating in. It''s hard. We are both tired, it takes time, etc. BUT the single best thing we do is the meal planning/2 week shopping trip. Say, ''we will eat out 2x a week, and 3x a weekend'' or whatever your goal is, then do the math for the other meals. Grocery shopping is unbearable IMO (yeah, I am spoiled too) so only doing one super-thorough trip saves time/$/energy. Like ripping off a band-aid.

I''m glad I''m not the only spoiled brat, Miscka! I was starting to feel like diva.
20.gif
I''m not against sacrificing, but sometimes I don''t have the self-control to do so. Bad!

Im doing the math right now, and with what we make... we could *easily* save 1000/month. That''s sad. We could, and we don''t. We could have 12,000 by august of next year if we tried. That is seriously giving me some perspective.

Another big issue: Saying no to going out with friends. We say yes to everything!
So I type slow...
37.gif
I love eating out too, but damn it''s expensive!!

Here''s another thing we do, don''t know if it''ll help you save at all. I get my paycheck, I only keep enough to buy groceries, dinners out and other incidentals for that pay period. Right now it''s $250. The rest goes to savings and bills. So knowing I have only that much to spend keeps me from going overboard on stuff.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:11:43 PM

Date: 8/18/2009 2:06:04 PM
Holy jeez that''s a lot of eating out!!!
23.gif

So here''s what might help curb the eating-at-home-laziness (not meant in a mean way of course): add up what you''re spending every week. If that number isn''t shocking enough, add it up for the month. It should be a large number. Then think about that number x 12 months and how much you could save then!

That''s how I kicked my Starbucks habit. I keep trying to get FI to kick his lunch out habit, but it''s hard for him since he''s always on the road and can''t microwave something and isn''t the biggest fan of sandwiches.
40.gif
Yes. We are sick individuals.
9.gif

You''re so right about looking at what you spend. It is seriously disturbing. I just did a comparison of how much we make, vs how much our bills are. There''s like 2000/month that I cant account for.
23.gif

What the HELL are we doing with that money?!?!?!

Starbucks must be shocking! 3.50/drink... 5 days a week. 52 weeks a year? 900 bucks?? Sick!
It''s so much easier for me to be accountable when it''s all written out. Scary stuff.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:12:38 PM

Sounds like a plan.

20.gif

So I type slow...
37.gif

Here''s another thing we do, don''t know if it''ll help you save at all. I get my paycheck, I only keep enough to buy groceries, dinners out and other incidentals for that pay period. Right now it''s $250. The rest goes to savings and bills. So knowing I have only that much to spend keeps me from going overboard on stuff.
yeah, thats what I do, too. But FI makes all the money (he makes DOUBLE what I do) so i need to get my hands on controlling that money!
2.gif

I just looked it over, and i can literally save EVERY PENNY i make, and we could still afford the new apartment, and he could pay ALL of our bills.

THAT is how much we waste.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:15:58 PM

Sounds like a plan.

20.gif

So I type slow...
37.gif

yeah, thats what I do, too. But FI makes all the money (he makes DOUBLE what I do) so i need to get my hands on controlling that money!
2.gif

I just looked it over, and i can literally save EVERY PENNY i make, and we could still afford the new apartment, and he could pay ALL of our bills.

Hahahaha I can''t wait to get married because we''re combining some of our funds, which means I get to do the budget!! Neener neener FI!!
3.gif

That will be a tough habit to break elle, I don''t envy you! FI was the same way when we started dating, and oh man I think he wanted to kill me every time I brought up saving and spending.
27.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:19:11 PM

Sounds like a plan.

20.gif

So I type slow...
37.gif

2.gif

Hahahaha I can''t wait to get married because we''re combining some of our funds, which means I get to do the budget!! Neener neener FI!!
3.gif

That will be a tough habit to break elle, I don''t envy you! FI was the same way when we started dating, and oh man I think he wanted to kill me every time I brought up saving and spending.
27.gif
LOL. I know! Actually... i''m living up these last 2 months of single life. I dropped 100bucks at MAC the other day and I told FI not to listen to the total. Then I said, "Nevermind! I have 2 months of not having to run financial decision by you, so I''m living it up!"

Are you going to be the financial coordinator when you two get married? Are you the responsible one?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I hated grocery shopping as well. But it''s actually kind of a challenge now, which is fun (I like solving problems).

One thing that really might help is pulling cash out instead of a debit card. What if you and J pulled out a certain amount of cash and said "This is our entire going out to eat budget for the week." So you can blow it all on one meal or eat fast food all week or whatever. That might be an easier way of doing it than saying "Only go out 2x during the work week."

Also, you can make larger meals and freeze them to eat throughout the week. I love making a pizza and then eating pizza for 4 or 5 days. Lasagna freezes well, soup keeps really well, PLUS you really can make cooking fun/
31.gif
. I mean...there''s got to be fun ways to pass the time between putting the chicken in the oven and taking it out, right?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:21:39 PM
Author: princesss
Yeah, I hated grocery shopping as well. But it''s actually kind of a challenge now, which is fun (I like solving problems).

One thing that really might help is pulling cash out instead of a debit card. What if you and J pulled out a certain amount of cash and said ''This is our entire going out to eat budget for the week.'' So you can blow it all on one meal or eat fast food all week or whatever. That might be an easier way of doing it than saying ''Only go out 2x during the work week.''

Also, you can make larger meals and freeze them to eat throughout the week. I love making a pizza and then eating pizza for 4 or 5 days. Lasagna freezes well, soup keeps really well, PLUS you really can make cooking fun/
31.gif
. I mean...there''s got to be fun ways to pass the time between putting the chicken in the oven and taking it out, right?
We discovered online grocery shopping recently, so that could really help us stay on track. Shop online, pick it up in the store. Done!

We should try freezing stuff. Do some pre-cooking on Sunday to make it easier for the rest of the week.

And you have a point about "fun" cooking.
2.gif

Ive thought about the cash vs. debit thing... but I hate carrying cash. Maybe if it would help I could give it a shot...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:25:29 PM

One thing that really might help is pulling cash out instead of a debit card. What if you and J pulled out a certain amount of cash and said ''This is our entire going out to eat budget for the week.'' So you can blow it all on one meal or eat fast food all week or whatever. That might be an easier way of doing it than saying ''Only go out 2x during the work week.''

31.gif
We discovered online grocery shopping recently, so that could really help us stay on track. Shop online, pick it up in the store. Done!

We should try freezing stuff. Do some pre-cooking on Sunday to make it easier for the rest of the week.

And you have a point about ''fun'' cooking.
2.gif

Ive thought about the cash vs. debit thing... but I hate carrying cash. Maybe if it would help I could give it a shot...
I hate carrying cash as well, but it does help because I have to watch it disappear, and then suddenly it''s like Cr@p! I only have $32 dollars to get through the next 10 days!" And suddenly I''m on very very good behaviour, lol!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock

31.gif
My parents tell a story like this all the time! When they first got married they were dead broke. Every Friday, they''d buy one case of beer to last the week. If they drank it all on Friday, well that was it. I love that story.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:21:03 PM

Date: 8/18/2009 2:19:11 PM

Sounds like a plan.

20.gif

So I type slow...
37.gif

2.gif

3.gif

27.gif
LOL. I know! Actually... i''m living up these last 2 months of single life. I dropped 100bucks at MAC the other day and I told FI not to listen to the total. Then I said, ''Nevermind! I have 2 months of not having to run financial decision by you, so I''m living it up!''

Are you going to be the financial coordinator when you two get married? Are you the responsible one?
Totally the responsible one.
9.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, Sunny brings up a good point.

We have multiple accts....bills, spend, save.

Things that are constant (rent, phone, car, insurance, etc) come out of the bills account. We total those things for a month/2 and deposit that amt each paycheck. This keeps expenses evenly spread throughout the month.

Then, the auto save.

What is left in the "spend" account is for food, etc. That way, we KNOW what is gone. The savings and the bills can''t be touched. The rest is to juggle, depending on what we want to splurge on, and how we want to handle food.

I am kind of a nerd for all this. Sorry if I am giving too much input, Elle. you guys will work it out!

Also, check out Mint.com. It is a GREAT and free tool for money management. I like being able to see it all, and sort purchases by category. Does the math for you, etc. We learned that way that we spend waaaaay too much on alcohol.
11.gif
3.gif
32.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:34:29 PM
Ahh, Sunny brings up a good point.

We have multiple accts....bills, spend, save.

Things that are constant (rent, phone, car, insurance, etc) come out of the bills account. We total those things for a month/2 and deposit that amt each paycheck. This keeps expenses evenly spread throughout the month.

Then, the auto save.

What is left in the ''spend'' account is for food, etc. That way, we KNOW what is gone. The savings and the bills can''t be touched. The rest is to juggle, depending on what we want to splurge on, and how we want to handle food.

I am kind of a nerd for all this. Sorry if I am giving too much input, Elle. you guys will work it out!

Also, check out Mint.com. It is a GREAT and free tool for money management. I like being able to see it all, and sort purchases by category. Does the math for you, etc. We learned that way that we spend waaaaay too much on alcohol.
11.gif
3.gif
32.gif
LOL. Miscka, re: the alcohol!
9.gif

I signed up for Mint, and never us it. I''m a loser.

I am an organization person, so I will enjoy doing this budget thing. I think I will have to force FI to hand over finances to me though. That could be rough.
2.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Um, yes. LIVE IT UP! When I bought my wedding makeup, I may or may not have fudged the total a little when I told him. I am TOTALLY not an advocate for that, but in this instance I just could not fess up! Darn you, Sephora.

P is right re:cash. That is a great plan. We have done it before and may do it again.

Will you combine accts totally or do yours/mine/ours? Since we are really 1 income, we don''t divide yet, but may when we have more "fun" money.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:37:18 PM
Um, yes. LIVE IT UP! When I bought my wedding makeup, I may or may not have fudged the total a little when I told him. I am TOTALLY not an advocate for that, but in this instance I just could not fess up! Darn you, Sephora.

P is right re:cash. That is a great plan. We have done it before and may do it again.

Will you combine accts totally or do yours/mine/ours? Since we are really 1 income, we don''t divide yet, but may when we have more ''fun'' money.
At first we wanted separate but I''m thinking we can live off of his income alone. It would be a bit tight, compared to now, but we can afford it. Then ALL of my money would be saved. I would probably take control of his money and make sure the bills are paid. He''s far too forgetful to be in control of finances.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, we started eating in recently and it has helped save so much money it's crazy. We've also had to get more creative with food....

And if you guys get tired or whatever at night and don't want to cook, I would highly recommend those Bertolli entrees. Toss it in a pan with a lid, stir occasionally and it's done in 10 minutes. We usually buy a 2 serving frozen vegetable to go on the side. We usually get them at Target, and get them on sale for about $6-7 per bag, and with a $2 veg, it's an almost restaurant quality food, for $4-5 per person.

It has helped out a lot with us and our schedules.

ETA: some of them really aren't that high calorie either. They have been helping me lose weight, to be honest.

Food is driving me nuts lately...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 3:51:13 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You know, we started eating in recently and it has helped save so much money it''s crazy. We''ve also had to get more creative with food....

And if you guys get tired or whatever at night and don''t want to cook, I would highly recommend those Bertolli entrees. Toss it in a pan with a lid, stir occasionally and it''s done in 10 minutes. We usually buy a 2 serving frozen vegetable to go on the side. We usually get them at Target, and get them on sale for about $6-7 per bag, and with a $2 veg, it''s an almost restaurant quality food, for $4-5 per person.

It has helped out a lot with us and our schedules.

ETA: some of them really aren''t that high calorie either. They have been helping me lose weight, to be honest.

Food is driving me nuts lately...
I have not tried those... thanks for the suggestion, I''ll have to check them out at the grocery store next time. Frozen entrees are a life saver for people who hate to cook.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should mention they are normally $9 per bag. We buy them on sale, which is pretty frequently, so that helps out a lot.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 4:09:03 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I should mention they are normally $9 per bag. We buy them on sale, which is pretty frequently, so that helps out a lot.
9 bucks is steal compared to 25 bucks to deliver pizza, or 40 bucks to go out for sushi!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too true!!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
One of our quick and easy (and delicious!) favorites is homemade pesto. Whir up some olive oil & garlic cloves in the blender, add basil & parsley (about 2/3 basil to 1/3 parsley) and some pine nuts and blend until smooth. Mix in some parmesan cheese and have with pasta! Nom nom nom nom nom.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 4:30:38 PM
Author: ladypirate
One of our quick and easy (and delicious!) favorites is homemade pesto. Whir up some olive oil & garlic cloves in the blender, add basil & parsley (about 2/3 basil to 1/3 parsley) and some pine nuts and blend until smooth. Mix in some parmesan cheese and have with pasta! Nom nom nom nom nom.
I''m hungry and that''s making my mouth water.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 4:39:08 PM
Date: 8/18/2009 4:30:38 PM

Author: ladypirate

I''m hungry and that''s making my mouth water.

LOL--we had some leftover from last night in the fridge and after typing about it, I went in to grill some chicken so I could make myself a pesto chicken panini. Nom nom nom.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm pesto....
18.gif

We''re huge fans of spaghetti. Make a huge pot, eat dinner, I make myself lunch for the next day, throw the rest in the freezer. Same goes for chili. Those Stouffer''s lasagnas are pretty damn good too, though high in fat. Meh!
18.gif
18.gif

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ladies, just dropping in, to say HI. I miss all of my LIW, but work is super busy, been sick and trying to get ready for my vaca...woohoo....

I have left over ghetti...i shouldnt eat it cuz tummy is upset, but o well....gotta eat something......and yes i know carbs are bad, but its whole wheat pasta!
18.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:10:28 PM
Author: Jessie702
Hey Ladies, just dropping in, to say HI. I miss all of my LIW, but work is super busy, been sick and trying to get ready for my vaca...woohoo....

I have left over ghetti...i shouldnt eat it cuz tummy is upset, but o well....gotta eat something......and yes i know carbs are bad, but its whole wheat pasta!
18.gif

Carbs are bad? I totally missed that memo. I looooooove carbs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results