shape
carat
color
clarity

The journey for my mini upgrade for my 25th anniversary...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought...I have noticed alot of beautiful settings for rings that most of you have and I have to ask about Leon Mege and Art of Platinum. I am obviously in search of an amazing setting, but I have limits--financial limits--to contend with as well. I was visiting AOP site and fell in love hard for R144-14W but I also found R011-01W to be very nice as well. I am on the run out the door in a little while, but wondered if anyone has an idea how much settings like these generally run or start at? I have Leon''s number as well but wanted to ask some of you first...

Don''t you think that whether it be a setting from Richard Landi or Leon Mege that one of those might suit my lil 1.21 cushion?
emembarrassed.gif

I do have to say that I still have it bad for a ring that a former PSer named Slammie had with pave and a pave adorned ring around the diamond in the basket...If price becomes a major contender for me, I might have to re-evaluate which way to go here...

BTW, RockDoc is just about finished with my cushion. I am awaiting a phone call from him a little later today on my stone...
emotion-5.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I talked with RockDoc about my diamonds...

First, the good news...The cushion stone rocks!!!
emthup.gif
emotion-5.gif
emotion-19.gif
emsmilep.gif
He said that compared to what I paid for this stone, which if any of you remember, it was $4K+, the stone could appraise for $2K more easy!!!
emotion-20.gif
For that, I am excited. The stone came through all the testing with flying colors and ranks on the color scale at a solid G or a majorly high H. The inclusions it does have are minute and have no bearing on its durability.

I could not be more happy with that news.

Secondly, the not so good news...My princess cut stone in my current ring didn''t fare as well and is not what I was told it was...so that is a bit sad
emsad.gif
. I had hoped to get it GIA certified and then consider using it for a trade in or whatever, but I have been told its not worth the time or $ to do so...
emembarrassed.gif

Its ok though cuz I could make a pendant out of it or whatever...so I am not going to allow that to get me down...

I am awaiting Jonathan to contact me about the Richard Landi rings. I have a feeling they are probably out of my range, but whatever! I also am seriously considering another setting which I will share when the time is right...
emotion-5.gif

RockDoc says I will have my diamonds back by Friday sometime so all I can do is wait...
emcrook.gif
emclock.gif
emmoon.gif

I am SO excited I can hardly believe it...Next, its time to insure the stone!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Yippee! I am glad your cushion is what you want it to be, and you are right now you can keep your princess stone and make it into a necklace. More diamonds for you.
31.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS on finding the right stone for you. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Can''t wait to see what setting you decide on.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
re Richard Landi--I think they are beaitiful and while not inexpensive, they are more moderate than say Beaudry

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
You will be insuring it loose? Just wondering how you are going about that, as I have never found someone to do that.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
when i insured through chubb--i told them that i had the stone and it was being set and i faxed them the appraisal for the stone then when it was completed they got the appraisal for the whole thing..............they never said anything about it being lose and that it was a problem

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Did you happen to buy through Blue Nile?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I am calling Chubb Insurance to find out what the cost is in my area (Riverside,CA) and I am 97% sure of a setting I plan to get so it will be set very soon. I am awaiting word from someone regarding her set because I want something very similar and need some answers before I commit to the buying the set. I will keep you informed...

BTW, just out of curiousity, how does everyone feel about a prong set single row solitaire ring set versus a pave ring set?

Please let me know!!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Well...I got my diamonds back today and boy, am I relieved!
emsmile.gif
The UPS service center closest to me couldn''t find my pkg for about 1 hour and 15 minutes and I totally had to dig really, really deep to stay calm. I called RockDoc and between his insurance company, my persistence and 2 UPS workers--we found the pkg! Whew! I was SO relieved...

The good news...the cushion appraised for at least $2K more than I paid and that is a major coo for me...
emsmilep.gif
...Now, I am going to call Chubb and get this baby insured asap. I have searching for the "right" setting. I called Bill Pearlman and he is sending out a French pave e-ring that interested me from his website. I should have that to view on Tuesday. I have been out trying more prong settings, but nothing is defining itself as "me" yet.

Now, the not so good news...The princess cut did not fare as well grade wise or qualitywise, but I still think its a pretty stone, just not the caliber as the cushion...
emsad.gif
...I haven''t told my hubby yet...but he won''t take the news as well as I did...

I am so thrilled to have had RockDoc be the appraiser for my diamonds!
emotion-5.gif
He is so professional, highly knowledgeable and cuts to the meat of what you need and want to know...

I gotta go for now, but I thought I would give a little update...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deanna that''s great news! Glad you were able to talk to Bill, too. I do hope you find something that "speaks" to you! Keep us posted -

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deanna, that''s wonderful news about your stones. You''ll have to let us know when you get the setting from bill. Which one is he sending you?

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
congrats on your NEW stone, it sounds beautiful, can''t wait to see the complete ring.
1.gif

so your princess didn''t grade as well as you thought, you still think it''s pretty and that''s all that matters. I would keep it for sentimental reasons.... its the ring you got married with. You probably have pics of it in your wedding album. I know for a fact I would be GREATLY disappointed if someone graded the ring I got married with, but I still love it and if I ever do get an upgrade, I would keep that ring because its the one I got married in.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3hearts - welcome to PS! I believe Deanna''s princess is NOT her original stone. If I am remembering her previous threads corectly, her original one was lost or stolen and the princess was a replacement.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s comments!
emembarrassed.gif
I am so relieved to have my diamonds back...I can''t say it enough...
And yes, the princess cut is pretty, but no, not the ring I got engaged with
emsad.gif
. The orig. e-ring is long time lost by my oldest daughter accidentally taking it to school...boo hoo...

Nonetheless, I actually am considering putting the ring up for consignment with a jeweler I know and trust. I am in no real hurry for the $--which I am not sure would be alot anyways--even though I still have my own new setting to purchase for my cushion. I thought maybe I''d talk to the jeweler in the next couple of weeks in case anyone comes in looking for a ring or just the stones for their own use. While the princess is not certified, it is still a good first diamond for some young couple who would like a diamond but don''t have alot of cash...
emsmile.gif

I will be a bit nervous until I get the cushion insured, which won''t be till Monday at the earliest...
emotion-18.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
which setting is bill sending you?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 12:19:21 PM
Author: mrssalvo
which setting is bill sending you?
I talked to him about item#12EE1 pave ring listed for $2200. I really like the French pave look and so Bill said he''d be happy to send this ring out to me to see. I mentioned to him that I have my own center stone and that I prefer 3/4 around the shank instead of 1/2 which he said was not an issue. I still plan to go out to Robbins Bros. in Montclair to check out an A.Jaffe setting that looks on the net like it has diamonds at least 1/2 way down the shank like I like. In all honestly, I have been leaning towards a setting that I am already very fond of---Slammie''s pave setting. Her setting has some elements that are going to be hard to beat. I remember reading in one of several posts that one should go with the diamond that "calls to you" or "that catches your breathe"
emsmilep.gif
and I feel I need to have that seem feeling with the setting for my cushion. I have read up on all the possible problems one can have with pave and other people''s sad experiences. And yes, of course, it concerns me, but then a mounting that has the diamond sit too tall can have problems, prongs can be a nuisance, etc.

I just need to follow my gut and I will be fine...In the end, I need to feel good about my choice, my ring style, and deal with any inconveniences that come with that choice. In all frankness, if I really didn''t want a problem I would either 1) just wear a plain band with no diamonds on it or 2) not wear a ring at all.

My watch gets in the way sometimes and isn''t waterproof. My bracelet on my right wrist gets in the way as well at
emcrook.gif
times...but I love it and hardly ever take it off. The bracelet was a personal gift to myself for an accomplishment that meant alot to me. It is from Brighton''s and has two hearts hanging off of it--a small gold heart inside a larger silver one. No one--including my hubby needs to know why it is significance and that''s ok. Its mine and I choose to wear it with happiness...

So far, I haven''t slipped on any other ring that has me swooning. I am anxious to see the Pearlman ring. Bill has a tremendous reputation and I was priviledged to speak to him. He''s great. My engaged son saw me looking at their website and was very impressed. He and his fiancee are looking for bands. He liked what he saw, but they are looking for slightly wider brands similar to the French pave band on Bill''s website.

The only reason I went into what I did above is because of have read over and over the struggles alot of folks have had and the allure of prong settings being perceived as more the way to go. I am truly caught at this time. I very much want to have my ring be beautiful and secure for the sake of the diamonds, but I also want the setting to focus on the center stone and not overwhelm it with alot of blinginess...a moderate amount of sparkle and of course the "wow" factor is essential...blinginess that blends all of the splash of bling together--to me--takes aways from the center stone.

That is one thing I learned from trying on all of the rings I did so far.
emembarrassed.gif

I hope no one is offended or put off by what I say here. I just feel that this ring selection to me and my hubby to signify our 25th anniversary is so amazingly important and the setting and diamond should symbolize that...
emlove.gif

When I get Pearlman''s ring, I will definitely be postin my feelings about it and hopefully I will have been able to see the A.Jaffe setting by then as well...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is. I think slammie''s jeweler called it fishtail pave. i can''t wait to hear what you think of this ring. it''s always been a favorite of mine on Bill''s site..I think going for what you love and will make you happy is the key. You know the pro''s and cons and know you''re ready to follow your heart and do what''s right for you.

12EE18.jpg

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Newsflash...I have made a choice on a setting for my 1.21 cushion cut stone and have made a deposit on it for the custom work to begin!

I am very excited and can hardly believe its really happening...
emwink.gif

I should have the completed ring set of 3 rings somewhere between the 15th and 20th December...I have to go for now but I will give more details later...
emlove.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, you can''t leave us hanging like that
39.gif
2.gif

which setting did you choose? Are you having something made like slammie''s?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2005 3:39:13 PM
Author: mrssalvo
oh, you can''t leave us hanging like that
39.gif
2.gif

which setting did you choose? Are you having something made like slammie''s?
Hi mrssalvo!
emsmile.gif
I am glad you checked in on my thread...The jeweler will receive my cushion on Monday at the latest. I wasn''t going to say anything...but...I am not good with secrets!

Yes...I am getting a version of Slammie''s pave ring but with my cushion as the center stone...isn''t that great?!!!
emotion-5.gif

I am very,VERY excited!
emsmilep.gif

My ring set will be 3/4 around with diamonds on each ring and I am getting 2 WBs to "embrace" the engagement ring in the center...
emlove.gif

I know that its not perhaps the most complex design but I love the look of simple sophistication with a twist, which I feel this ring has. It will not be too trendy--pave has been used in rings, as we all know, for a long, long time--and it won''t cause me to get bored with the design which could happen with a too decorative ring. I considered and reconsidered alot. I was drawn to halos at first and seriously considered them, but I think I may want one for a RHR with my birthstone and diamonds at some point.

Since Slammie''s center stone was a 2 carat one and round and my cushion will be the center stone and is more rectangular/pillowy, this will in fact be a unique looking ring, that''s for sure!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Deanne,
That is soooo exciting, can''t wait to see it. Sounds like it will be stunning!!!
36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
That is great Deanna! It sounds like it will be a beautiful set!

Is Pearlman''s making the ring for you?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 12:51:11 PM
Author: kaleigh
Oh Deanne,
That is soooo exciting, can''t wait to see it. Sounds like it will be stunning!!!
36.gif
Thanks, kaleigh!

I am very thrilled!!!
emsmilep.gif
I sent the cushion and necessary paperwork to Topper''s in Burlingame, CA yesterday so they should have it by Monday I was told. I can''t believe its actually going to happen now!!!
emotion-20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You so deserve this ring, and I love slammies!! It will be amazing I''m sure. How long will it take to do the setting?? You will have it by Christmas???

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 1:07:00 PM
Author: Patty
That is great Deanna! It sounds like it will be a beautiful set!

Is Pearlman''s making the ring for you?
Thanks Patty!!!

Slammie--whose ring seriously inspired me--got her ring done at a jeweler in Burlingame, CA, so I contacted them and they are ding the ring for me. Since they are the original jewelers who came up with it, actually their benchman, Val, I felt it was in my best interest to have them do it. Bill at Topper''s has been very wonderful and helpful to me and I feel good about what I have committed to have them do.
emthup.gif

Sara aka Slammie has been a tremendous help to me on this and her personal experiences and advisements have help me feel at peace with my choice. I tried on SO many styles of rings--highly detailed, highly decorative, prong set, solitaire, sidestones, etc.,--and when it was said and done, I constantly found myself drawn back to Slammie''s ring set.

I realize my cushion is not super huge and could potentially get lost in all of the decorative styles on some rings, that the cushion appeared to me to blur together with some of the prong settings I was drawn to rather than being accented by, that with my thick fingers, the solitaire look on a plain band, showed more of my finger(Ugh!
emotion-41.gif
) than the stone, and that if I had too much detailing on the ring--which I love SO much--I might become too jaded over time with it and lose the appreciation of the entire ring itself, let alone the stone.

I saw one jeweler like 4 times alone to quadruple check myself and to also get a chance with another salesman to see if they had other suggestions for me with the same requests. I did and it was good for me. One of the salespeople was a woman and she would try rings I liked on after I did and it helped to see what I perceived on with a cushion stone to get an idea of what my stone would look like on in a particualar setting.

Some of the jewelers were as far away as 45-50 miles from me that I saw. I feel I did my homework and I am tired. I actually feel I looked harder for this than for the center stone itself! That was easy!
emotion-5.gif
Largely, I can thank my PS friends on that!!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 1:13:46 PM
Author: kaleigh
You so deserve this ring, and I love slammies!! It will be amazing I''m sure. How long will it take to do the setting?? You will have it by Christmas???
That is what Bill at Topper''s says...that I will definitely have it for Christmas. I am trying very, very hard to not get too prepped to receive it by Christmas, in case he can''t....He started the work on it as soon as I made the deposit by phone and that was the 22nd of November. I will be calling him in a few minutes to alert him that I sent the stone and paperwork to him yesterday.

I don''t want anything else for Christmas or for my anniversary, as you probably could have guessed!!!
emotion-5.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring sounds like it will be beautiful - I am happy for you! Christmas is just a month away - I know it seems like forever while you are waiting - but at least you''ll have the holiday things to keep you busy during the month.

Can''t wait to see pictures of your new sparklie. . .

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would check in and let you all know that Topper''s Jewelry has received my diamond and the ring is underway as I write this!!!
emotion-5.gif

Bill with Topper''s called me late yesterday while I was Christmas shopping and boy, did I get distracted!
emcrook.gif
I had a hard time getting back to shopping after we chatted for a bit. Bill reassured me that the stone arrived safe and sound and that my stone is amazing! He and I went over a few details pertaining to the positioning of the few scattered inclusions the stone has and how they were perfectly placed as to not interfere with the integrity of the stone''s performance, the setting, or any other concerns. Bill commented that "this is the kind of SI2 stones I like to see...gorgeous and simply brilliant". He went on to tell me that the prongs will hide a couple of the outside tiny inclusions and that this particular cushion will be quite a stunner in the setting I have selected.

I cannot believe it...it is REALLY happening now!!!
emlove.gif
emembarrassed.gif
emlove.gif

I packed the appraisal forms that RockDoc recommended for Bill to fill out to get my rock insured before work gets too involved. RockDoc knows Michael Sauer who took over for Dave Stone for Chubb so I am just waiting to here from Mike. I probably will end up calling RockDoc to be sure and comforted that things are rolling on that end, just so I can function today!!!

Anyways, I had to update everyone cuz I was about to explode with excitement if I kept it in!!! No one here at home can appreciate my delight like my PS friends!!!
emotion-20.gif
emsmile.gif
emlove.gif
emotion-19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results