shape
carat
color
clarity

The journey for my mini upgrade for my 25th anniversary...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how exciting. of course you aren''t being vain or silly to be drawn to the bigger stone or stones. But I say this, wait till you can see them all and see which one speaks to you. So far these simulated diamond pics have me confused. I would say when you see the real deal, one will say Deeeaaaannnnnaaaa. Lol. Glad you are feeling better, happy halloween!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deanna:

I have been following your quest for an upgrade and I am so happy to see how far you have come with it!!
36.gif

I would wait and see how the stones look to you and go for the BIGGEST stone that appeals visually to you. I have a VS1 and now wish I had have gone bigger by going down in clarity.

Good luck and I look forward to reading about what you decide.

Heather

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 7:23:55 PM
Author: kaleigh
Oh how exciting. of course you aren''t being vain or silly to be drawn to the bigger stone or stones. But I say this, wait till you can see them all and see which one speaks to you. So far these simulated diamond pics have me confused. I would say when you see the real deal, one will say Deeeaaaannnnnaaaa. Lol. Glad you are feeling better, happy halloween!!!
Thanks for the reassurance, kaleigh!
emsmileo.gif
I guess I just had to have someone out there confirm that for me...And you are right...I need to just relax, wait until all the stones are here and then I will know...gosh, I hope
emcrook.gif
...no, no...it will be fine...yes, I am feeling a bit better....I had to go to the dentist and that is where Mark w/ ERD called me. I was kinda in a fog after the phonecall...
emdgust.gif
Anyways, kids are waiting and I am heading out for trick and treating with my kids!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif
Glad to have made you feel better. I am almost as anxious as you are. I can''t wait to see what you choose, I adore cushions. You are in good hands, so all will be fine.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, no it is not wrong to be drawn to the bigger stones, I know I always am
11.gif
Look at it this way, this is your upgrade so if you want bigger, try to get bigger! Also larger will give you a little insurance against the dreaded DSS
14.gif
14.gif
I hope you find the one when these babies arrive, you so DESERVE it!
36.gif
36.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 4:07:21 AM
Author: Lorelei
I agree, no it is not wrong to be drawn to the bigger stones, I know I always am
11.gif
Look at it this way, this is your upgrade so if you want bigger, try to get bigger! Also larger will give you a little insurance against the dreaded DSS
14.gif
14.gif
I hope you find the one when these babies arrive, you so DESERVE it!
36.gif
36.gif
I think this is why GOG is such an interesting and important company: they know that there are certain crieria that make for a very fine diamond and yet maximize what the recipient really wants--size. Its not to say that any other company is bad but most do cater to the psychology of perfection that the diamond industry has floated on for many years--- an H stone is a wonderful color. Usually quite white....and a slightly warmer color is ideal for an antique style cut. In fact many gorgeous old cushions are JKLM in color............

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Windowshopper, I will compromise all the way for SIZE and it is good that there are companies such as GOG who realize this. I would far rather have a large well cut S12/ I1 than a smaller D VVS any day, that is JMO but as you say the diamond industry has pushed the high specs for years, but to many they are not so important as size, and the available education here and on the net is great to help folk choose for themselves, not necessarily to buy what they think they ought to have or should have as some in the industry decree.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes --as time goes on color becomes so much less important to me--i bought a D vs2 but i wish i had bought a G VS2.............i would have gained a carat

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again I agree, I don''t even really bother looking at the high colours anymore, I even have some well past a J and love them, plenty white enough for me even with a tiny tint and the great trade offs are much more size for my money
11.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 8:39:04 AM
Author: Lorelei
Again I agree, I don''t even really bother looking at the high colours anymore, I even have some well past a J and love them, plenty white enough for me even with a tiny tint and the great trade offs are much more size for my money
11.gif
it would be an interesting question...........how many people that had to have a D, E or F would now go down in color in exchange for size..............

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the latest...anytime now the 2 cushions from ERD should arrive via FEDEX...
emcrook.gif
emsmilep.gif
emwink.gif
...also, I just got off the phone with Tim at GOG and he is sending out the 1.21 cushion and he said I should get her tomorrow so then I would have all three in my possession to compare and examine...oh my...this is really happening!
emotion-20.gif
This couldn''t happen at a better time either...one of my sons is having a really tough time in school this year and this morning was especially tough with Halloween being just last night and all. He has ADD and is a real handful some days, but he is a good kid...just needs alot of patience and handholding. Anyways, the word about the diamonds made for a good lift in my spirits...if you wouldn''t mind, keep my son in your thoughts that after today''s therapist appt. and my mtg with his counselor that things will lighten up...it is hard being a mom these days...even harder when they have learning challenges...
emembarrassed.gif

Newsflash!!! Christen at GOG called and the 1.21 cushion will be here at my home by 10:30 tomorrow!
emotion-19.gif
I can hardly wait to see these babies...

Tim did say because of the numbers on this cushion, she might appear more square than spread out and big, but I am still anxious to see her.

Gotta go and check for the FEDEX man!
emotion-15.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I could not come here sooner.

Deanne,

I am sure it will be a tough call. Mark is a fine gentleman who deals with nice rocks as well so don''t feel bad no matter what you choose. I''m sure it''ll be between the pretty diamond and the pretty diamond. :)

windowshopper and lorelai ... you guys are not alone in your thinking. While there are many different reasons that go into the purchasing decision we have recently helped 2 folks within the past couple of weeks who traded in diamonds that they purchased with us a few years ago who went down in color/clarity for size yet maintained a top of the line cut (for appearance). I don''t think one was an engagement ring but I do know that one was. Opinions & tastes can change over time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deanna oh how exciting. You must let us know what you think of the 2 you are getting today. So glad these are helping to lift your spirits. Having a son with ADD I''m sure is very tough. You sound like you have a handle on it though and are a very loving mom.
12.gif
I hope the appt with the therapist goes well. Good luck and I look forward to your comments on todays arrivals. And tomorrow''s too.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 1:04:00 PM
Author: DeannaBana
Here is the latest...anytime now the 2 cushions from ERD should arrive via FEDEX

[...]
Christen at GOG called and the 1.21 cushion will be here at my home by 10:30 tomorrow!
Can''t wait to hear you take on them either.

For some reason Jonathan''s files refused to download here, but those have done their job once the real thing is on its way
1.gif

Best of luck tomorrow !
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh you must be so excited. I can''t wait to see what you think..

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...the ERD stones are here!
emotion-19.gif
WOW!!!...Hmmm...very interesting...

Cushion #1

.85 carats
color: E
clarity: VS1 Ideal
depth: 63.1
table: 55.0
girdle: med.-sl.thk fac.
culet: medium
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Very Good
flourescence: None
measurements: 5.80 x 5.50 x 3.47mm
crown A: 38.5 38.4 38.7
crown H: 0.98 0.98 0.98 17.8
pavillion A: 38.2 37.4 38.9
pavillion D: 2.23 2.22 2.24 40.6 (***I do not understand crown and pav. numbers yet!!! sorry!!!
emembarrassed.gif
)
$4300

Cushion #2

.80 carats
color: E
clarity: VS1
depth: 60.8
table: 60.0
girdle: sl. thick-thick fac.
culet: sl. large
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
flouresecence: None
measurements: 6.03 x 5.31 x 3.23 mm

crown and pav. info. was not included

$4180

These are incredibly gorgeous stones...small but sparkly!
emotion-15.gif
Of course, tomorrow I have the GOG stone to anticipate and that will be amazing as well. I am excited, but...well...still nervous. First of all, I want to make the right choice. Secondly, I am trying to not be just emotional about this, but practical and sensible as well. So...I have posted the stats of what I have...what do you think of these two???

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
deanne: this is sooooo exciting!!! I''m so happy for you and your soon to be newly decorated finger
emstar.gif

I am not an expert on cushions at all, but i was wondering if you are wishing to get the most size for your money, shouldn''t the vendors be trying to source a G color stone instead of Es????

I''m sure they are gorgeous, but maybe a G or even an F stone could bump you up a bit in size?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
wow.
3.gif
Those are no doubt amazing. the first sounds like a mod cushion...and the second is an ex/ex....not too shabby and certainly not easy to come by....but the GOG stone is 6.12X5.71...a bit bigger...not too much bigger despite its carat weight. But still bigger...... Hmmm. E Vs1 v. H Si2... Guess there are no 1 carat G or H stones out there
9.gif
? Or a larger face up 1.2? That's a tough call b/c while i love colorless stones, I might hold out for a larger lower color...but then again, the first one has a good spread...so does the second. Argh.
Don't suppose this would be eyeclean?
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00953850&item=31_45&filter_id=0&sec=&query=&page=2&sortby=ranking

Or 1.03 E Si2 clean plot vg/vg 7.03X5.84
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/viewcert.asp?lot=6062-134

Or 1.2 H Vs2 7.26X6.16 VG/VG
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/viewcert.asp?lot=6051-02

These are maybe other options that GOG/Mark could look into (not that you can tell much from numbers)

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 2:58:49 PM
Author: lovelylulu
deanne: this is sooooo exciting!!! I''m so happy for you and your soon to be newly decorated finger
emstar.gif

I am not an expert on cushions at all, but i was wondering if you are wishing to get the most size for your money, shouldn''t the vendors be trying to source a G color stone instead of Es????

I''m sure they are gorgeous, but maybe a G or even an F stone could bump you up a bit in size?
lovelylulu...thank you SO much for you sharing my excitement!!! I thought the same thing about color and size...and I might of put more emphasis on color when I initially talked to this first vendor, but you definitely have a point and I intend to follow up on that w/this particular vendor when I speak to him later today. I am also keeping in mind that I still need to see the stone from GOG tomorrow...that one is an H...which I am sure I will be fine on colorwise. I currently have a princess cut in a G color that is why I say that...but these colorless ones are sure pretty...
emwink.gif

I am going to be totally honest...I am wanting as big as stone as I can go...ok...I said it...

I know this stone is a step up and not the final upgrade, but I want to be within my budget and go to the limit!
emsmile.gif

Thanks for your 0.2 cents!
emthup.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 3:01:50 PM
Author: moremoremore
wow.
3.gif
Those are no doubt amazing. the first sounds like a mod cushion...and the second is an ex/ex....not too shabby and certainly not easy to come by....but the GOG stone is 6.12X5.71...a bit bigger...not too much bigger despite its carat weight. But still bigger...... Hmmm. E Vs1 v. H Si2... Guess there are no 1 carat G or H stones out there
9.gif
? Or a larger face up 1.2? That''s a tough call b/c while i love colorless stones, I might hold out for a larger lower color...but then again, the first one has a good spread...so does the second. Argh.
Don''t suppose this would be eyeclean?
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00953850&item=31_45&filter_id=0&sec=&query=&page=2&sortby=ranking
Hi MMM!
What does a girl do??? These stones are breathtaking, yes...but...I want a little bigger...if possible.I put them each separately next to my princess cut and...wow...they dazzle...they are amazing. My princess cut is a VS2 and is pretty and sparkles, but those 2 cushions were dancing stars around her...poor thing
emsad.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Deanna- are you getting the upgrade policy that you want from either vendor? Just make sure! :)

p.s. I added more to the list :)

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 3:01:50 PM
wow.
3.gif
9.gif
? Or a larger face up 1.2? That''s a tough call b/c while i love colorless stones, I might hold out for a larger lower color...but then again, the first one has a good spread...so does the second. Argh.
Don''t suppose this would be eyeclean?

Or 1.03 E Si2 clean plot vg/vg 7.03X5.84
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/viewcert.asp?lot=6062-134

Or 1.2 H Vs2 7.26X6.16 VG/VG
http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com/viewcert.asp?lot=6051-02

These are maybe other options that GOG/Mark could look into (not that you can tell much from numbers)
Where did you find these 2 cushions??? Who has them? How much are they? Uh...yes..I am interested! These certs look way good and I would love to see the stones that go with them...Can you pm me with the info?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 3:12:49 PM
Deanna- are you getting the upgrade policy that you want from either vendor? Just make sure! :)

p.s. I added more to the list :)
MMM,

I have mentioned pretty much over and over to both vendors that I plan to upgrade...should I have said more than that? I am sorry if I sound emptyheaded, but buying diamonds is NOT something I do everyday!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Will do...but you can also see them on excellentdiamondcutters.com
They don't own the stones so Jon / Mark can get them if they thought it was worth looking into... they might be a touch off in classic numbers, but who the hell can tell anything from numbers! :) They sure look big :)

Ask what the policy is exactly!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Ebree good find!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 1:07:13 PM
Author: Rhino

windowshopper and lorelai ... you guys are not alone in your thinking. While there are many different reasons that go into the purchasing decision we have recently helped 2 folks within the past couple of weeks who traded in diamonds that they purchased with us a few years ago who went down in color/clarity for size yet maintained a top of the line cut (for appearance). I don''t think one was an engagement ring but I do know that one was. Opinions & tastes can change over time.

That''s great to know Rhino, this way of thinking has helped make me a very happy purchaser indeed and it is good to know that some vendors too are supporting and understanding of these compromises. I used to think a long time ago that a D or E VVS was the only way to go - horror of the ugly yellow splotched rock, now I know better I have been able to fulfil my dreams by dropping the colour and clarity, but upping the cut quality, which in the end is what it''s all about!

Deanna, good luck and have fun, eagerly waiting for the verdict
9.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...I decided to call Wf...I spoke to Renee and she was so wonderful...I still am interested in the vendors I am currently working with. I just want to check all my options. As has been already been mentioned here over and over, WF has a great trade up policy and it can''t hurt to check another vendor while I''m shopping...right?

She promised to get back to me asap. In the meantime, I am anticipating the stone from GOG and I will call Mark w/ERD a little later to assure him I got the stones he sent out to me.

I have a therapist appt with my troubled son so I will check back a little later...c/ya!
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results