shape
carat
color
clarity

The journey for my mini upgrade for my 25th anniversary...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 8:18:22 PM
Author: diamondlil
It''s okay, DeannaBana, it will all work out. I''m a HUGE fan of SI clarity stones. I would never turn my nose up at that as long as it is eye clean. You''ll get a larger stone for your money that way, and for me that''s important. Just my 2 cents though.
2.gif
Oh, I know it will...I think being a bit under the weather has made me a tad more impatient than usual. As for the SI clarity stones...I had heard that with cushions, that was iffy so I had to ask all of you. I really want a bigger stone...there..I said it. Its true.
emcrook.gif
I can''t help it...I am a girl who wants this stone and will definitely want a bigger stone to follow so a little less in clarity is ok w/me if she sparkles like crazy and is cut extremely well.
emthup.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 8:47:50 PM
Author: jazmine
I agree, there''s nothing wrong with an eye clean SI. In fact, in your situation, I think it might be wiser to go down to this clarity. This way, you can spend the money where it really counts, the cut
31.gif
Thanks, jazmine...I appreciate you chiming in with that comment of support. I feel alot better about leaning that way!
emembarrassed.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 7:02:16 PM
Author: DeannaBana...so now I am putting alot of my hopes into Tim w/GOG tomorrow. Also, I am seriousy considering getting a cushion that is of the SI clarity if the cut is incredible and all else checks out? Am I being too easy to please, should I look more for a VS grade or what? People, I need you guys!
emotion-20.gif

Deanna -

I think I saw Jonathan post somewhere on PS today that Tim will be on vacation this week - I hope, if this is true, that Tim has passed this project along to someone! You may want to give GOG a call tomorrow - just to check in!
2.gif

As for clarity, an eye-clean SI1 or even an SI2 is a great way to save money! That''s where the experienced eyes of a trusted vendor come into play. Mark and Jonathan will both let you know honestly what a stone shows. Sometimes it pays to let the experts do what they do best - give them your budget, and tell them Cut Is King, as big as possible as long as it is eye-clean, with any color preferences you may have, and let them do it. I have seen some VS stones that looked like dalmations they had so many carbon spots and I have owned 2 SI1''s that are totally eye clean (sometimes I don''t understand how the grading labs assign clarity grades), and I''d have no hesitation looking at an SI2 either! Good luck -

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Well, as I promised, this is a bit of an update...called GOG and Tim is out, but Jonathan and another gentleman are helping while Tim is out. I did not speak to Jonathan...unfortunately, I forgot the man''s name(
emembarrassed.gif
I was so anxious to hear about the diamond I didn''t listen for it!), but he is calling me back after doing an analysis on the stone. So far, he said he sees alot of reds and blacks(?)...and a little leakage...but not much. The inclusions (remember, the stone is SI clarity) are hard to find, which is good...I would say. He said he would call me back...so that is all I know for now. It is hard to "read" someone over the phone...at least it is for me. I have gotten to know Tim a little over our conversations and emails and I felt more at ease with conversing with him...this is tough with another jeweler, but I will do a "wait and see."
emotion-18.gif

Thought I would let you PSers know what I know!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Deanne as others have said here SI1 (and sometimes even SI2) stones are a great way to save money if the diamond is pretty much eye clean. I thought I just had to have a VS diamond in my new three stone ring, but my husband ended up picking out a ring for me with the jeweler that had a SI1 center stone. I am so glad now that we didn''t pay a premium to get VS. You can''t see any inclusions in that diamond! Good luck with your search!!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2005 3:21:43 PM
Author: Sundial
Deanne as others have said here SI1 (and sometimes even SI2) stones are a great way to save money if the diamond is pretty much eye clean. I thought I just had to have a VS diamond in my new three stone ring, but my husband ended up picking out a ring for me with the jeweler that had a SI1 center stone. I am so glad now that we didn''t pay a premium to get VS. You can''t see any inclusions in that diamond! Good luck with your search!!!
Thanks, Sundial! Unfortunately, the news on this stone is not good...Charlie from GOG told me this stone has too much leakage and a few other questionable concerns
emsad.gif
so he and Jonathan are letting her go and are on the search for another stone
emotion-18.gif
. Its really ok...I would rather find the right stone than to settle...even though this stone is an interim stone. I have always been a girl who wants to shop for the "right" thing, rather than the "first"thing...
emwink.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deanna, I am glad you are in the hunt!

Since you do not know when you will find "the one", I would suggest while your husband is amenable, somehow reserving the money for your diamond, putting in a separate account the amount your hubby agreed on, sales from bags etc in it, so when you want to get it, the money will be there. That way, it will be psychologically easier for your husband to part with the money when the time comes, and it won''t be spent on other things that will inevitably come up.
I knew a couple who was saving for their dream vacation. For one reason or another they had to keep putting it the trip. However, since they didn''t touch that money, it will be there waiting for them when the time was right.

dib

Shiny_Rock
Deanna-
I have a 3.02 F si1 cushion and it is TOTALLY eye-clean. My previous engagement ring was a F vs2 and i thought i could never go lower than that, but once i saw this one i realized i was wrong. si1 stones can be a great way to go to get the carat weight that you want - you just have to see the stone and make sure it''s eye-clean. Good luck!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Deanne, don''t worry, you will find your perfect "interim" stone. It''s definitely worth hunting around for!!

Thanks for the update!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 4:56:27 PM
Author: part gypsy

Since you do not know when you will find ''the one'', I would suggest while your husband is amenable, somehow reserving the money for your diamond, putting in a separate account the amount your hubby agreed on, sales from bags etc in it, so when you want to get it, the money will be there. That way, it will be psychologically easier for your husband to part with the money when the time comes, and it won''t be spent on other things that will inevitably come up.
I knew a couple who was saving for their dream vacation. For one reason or another they had to keep putting it the trip. However, since they didn''t touch that money, it will be there waiting for them when the time was right.
Thanks, Part Gypsy!
emwink.gif

I have begun the diamond fund. I have a seperate account at one of the banks we use, but I have an account that I opened just for this specific reason...my money as I intended. And since hubby is on board with the funds being deligated, I am doing this with his full knowledge. No, he doesn''t know where the account is and that is his preference. He just knows that it is being set aside and what it is for. He is doing well staying extremely busy with work
emthup.gif
and is not worrying about the diamond shopping cuz that is my department!
emcrook.gif
He is handling the planning for the anniversary trip and paying for our son''s honeymoon(as our gift to the newlyweds).

Thanks for your good wishes!
emembarrassed.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 9:29:10 PM
Author: bbb
Deanna-
I have a 3.02 F si1 cushion and it is TOTALLY eye-clean. My previous engagement ring was a F vs2 and i thought i could never go lower than that, but once i saw this one i realized i was wrong. si1 stones can be a great way to go to get the carat weight that you want - you just have to see the stone and make sure it''s eye-clean. Good luck!!
bbb,

Did you purchase your diamond(s) through an online vendor like GOG or Whiteflash? If so, how do you go about judging which stone is the "one"? Especially if it is an SI clarity...I would think its extremely challenging.
emotion-40.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 11:16:51 PM
Author: Rascal49
Deanne, don''t worry, you will find your perfect ''interim'' stone. It''s definitely worth hunting around for!!

Thanks for the update!
Rascal49,

Jonathan and Charlie at GOG are helping me while Tim is out this week. Charlie took a look at the 1.01 cushion they brought in and wasn''t too sure about it, but today, Jonathan is taking a second look and is sending over another take on things. I do want the best possible stone and waiting is fine with me if that is what it takes. Also, I get to tell both Mark T. with engagementringsdirect and Tim or Jonathan with GOG that I have a little more $ to work with. Its not a whole lot more, but hopefully it will help with the selection of stones to choose from.
emsmile.gif

I really you, Rascal, for keeping me focused!
emembarrassed.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 12:46:26 AM
Author: DeannaBana
Date: 10/26/2005 4:56:27 PM

Author: part gypsy

Since you do not know when you will find ''the one'', I would suggest while your husband is amenable, somehow reserving the money for your diamond, putting in a separate account the amount your hubby agreed on, sales from bags etc in it, so when you want to get it, the money will be there. That way, it will be psychologically easier for your husband to part with the money when the time comes, and it won''t be spent on other things that will inevitably come up.

Thanks, Part Gypsy!
emwink.gif

I have begun the diamond fund. I have a seperate account at one of the banks we use, but I have an account that I opened just for this specific reason...my money as I intended. And since hubby is on board with the funds being deligated, I am doing this with his full knowledge. No, he doesn''t know where the account is and that is his preference. He just knows that it is being set aside and what it is for. He is doing well staying extremely busy with work
emthup.gif
and is not worrying about the diamond shopping cuz that is my department!
emcrook.gif
He is handling the planning for the anniversary trip and paying for our son''s honeymoon(as our gift to the newlyweds).

Thanks for your good wishes!
emembarrassed.gif

This is exactly what i''m doing. It''s just to tempting to use money out of our regular accounts on other things. I have a seperate account where all the upgrade $ goes and I won''t let myself touch it for any reason. it also help your "dream" of a new ring feel more like it''s happening because your putting a little money in there and you can watch it grow.

dib

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t buy the stone with an on-line vendor. I live in NY and was able to see the stones in person on 47th street. However, it turned out the stone i bought was listed with one of the vendors. I was able to negotiate the price down with the store to a fair price - not as cheap as the online person, but i felt it was fair given the fact that i was getting in-person help and service. I didn''t even see that many stones, but i think i was lucky to find a great si1 stone that was eye-clean. TO be honest though, the stone is more oval/rectangular than square and it does have that cross/bow-tie thing going on. I know no one who sees my ring notices it really but me, but sometimes it does bother me. I do love the spread and shape of it and that i was able to get that by only sacrificing a little on the clarity. It''s really important to see cushions i think.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi...Thought I would update everyone of what I know so far...Talked to Jonathan w/GOG this morning and he has put together a file which I will post here a little later with/hubby''s help. It''s cool and Jonathan said for me to get everyone''s responses to it. As for my diamond search...he is on the hunt. Mark T. w/engagementringsdirect.com worked diligently on getting me stones to look at all day. He has a connection out here in LA but it is going to work out better for him to check out the stones in NY and then ship them out to me in CA afterwards. Mark will have the stones in his possession on Tuesday. With Halloween and all the parties this weekend, that is A-ok with me.
emwink.gif
emthup.gif

I am getting over the flu--which I have had since late yesterday--so I am not too energetic
emsad.gif
and its my second to the youngest son''s 11th birthday, so I have to take some meds and put on a happy face and go sing happy birthday now, but I wanted to update everyone...
emstar.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update, Deanne!

I''m sorry you are sick.
14.gif

I hope you feel better soon!
35.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Deanne, sorry to hear you''re sick.
14.gif

But I''m glad you are making progess with the stones
1.gif
. Thanks for the update!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feel better soon Deanne, seems that is going around a lot lately. Progress IS being made so chin up and can''t wait for you to show us what you come up with.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 9:57:23 PM
Author: kaleigh
Feel better soon Deanne, seems that is going around a lot lately. Progress IS being made so chin up and can''t wait for you to show us what you come up with.
1.gif

ditto
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor mrssalvo has been sick too, her kids got it and then she got it. I hope you all feel better soon. Plenty of fluids, doctors orders!!!
11.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
You''re getting my dream stone, I would loooove a Cushion myself!!!

Check here for Inexpensive Platinum settings

You can still have platinum! I found this seller on ebay a couple years ago and bought one of his solitaire mountings then sent it to Wink for a CZ he had custom cut for me. He was impressed with the quality & cost, said it was a bargain, better than he could offer me. The vender''s price is still pretty good and not much more than I paid, he also put a head on that would fit my stone at no extra cost. He offers 2 styles one is traditional tiffany and the other has tapered shoulders (looks much better in person) the ebay pic does nothing for that ring. It''s very nice in person.

I hope this gives you more to choose from in platinum and for a reasonable price, I want you to get your upgrade too!
36.gif

Tiffany Platinum

Tapered Shoulder Ring <----I have this one, it''s dainty (~2mm wide) but weighty feeling.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe, i''m off to go get some much needed sleep
41.gif

Deanne, the good news is,even we we''re not feeling 100% Jonathan, Tim and Mark are still working for you
2.gif
Rest up this weekend and get ready to view some gorgeous sparklies
1.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you to all of you!!!
emwink.gif
It is going on 9:47pm right now and its way past my bedtime(since I am ill
emsad.gif
) so I bid you all adieu...I appreciate you all and your comments.

I am looking forward to next week and some beautiful stones...and maybe get that file posted as well as soon as I am able...gotta rest.
emangel.gif

As already mentioned, Tim, Charlie, Jonathan and Mark T. are all incredible with customer service and I am blessed...
emthup.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All,

Deanne has asked if I could post the Gem Advisor files on the stones she is considering as she''d like further consumer input. In the next 3 posts (including this one) are 3 different flavors of cushion.

Attachments

• DEANNE01GEM.gem
    22.6 KB · Views: 98

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s the 2nd

Attachments

• DEANNE02GEM.gem
    17.2 KB · Views: 49

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And last but not least.

Attachments

• DEANNECUSHION03.gem
    24.4 KB · Views: 46

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Rhino,
i don''t know if it''s just me, but I can''t see the pics
39.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Me either!
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot see them either.
8.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bummer, I can''t see them either.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results