shape
carat
color
clarity

The Forum Engagement Ring Folder/Eye Candy

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, @LLJsmom :wavey:

Hi @Cerulean :)) I love both cuts. The main difference to my eye is that a round brilliant seems to have a more obvious visual center, which draws the eye. Because of that, to set an old cut, I like halos, as it sort of provides visual context for the wider facets.

I think my favorite cut is an August Vintage cushion. They're not to everybody's taste, but they're definitely to mine! I love the ideal light return that you get with an AVR, while still getting those high crowns and small tables - what a profile! Love 'em! And they have a very clear visual center without compromising their old world feel. Just a gorgeous, gorgeous cut!

So. That was basically no help at all! I definitely think - if you love both - you should definitely have - at least a little!- of both And I have both modern and genuine antique studs. Both are gorgeous!

Setting has a lot of effect in this situation, so I'd love to know what sort of setting you're considering!

Oooh thank you so much for the detailed reply! I do see what you mean - there is a sense of depth to modern cuts from what I can tell in videos and perfect symmetry does pull you right in. They remind me of Islamic art, given their pattern, perfect symmetry and pursuit of perfection...

1603248625058.png

Is it accurate to say that antique cuts seem to have more "edge to edge" brightness with large flashes. (well, a nice one anyways)? I am also a sucker for the puffy crowns of the antiques...Ugh! Maybe I just do need both!

I am going to be slowly building out my "core" collection of fine jewelry. So, I think of these as starter studs, and want "classic" but with liveliness. I love the idea of "über sparkle" to frame the face. Understated in size, but KAPOW with light performance. I am imagining ~0.4-~0.5 carats each. I wonder if modern ideal cuts will fit the bill...

I love the look of claw prongs, but hate the way they feel on my fingers (I have weird sensory issues) - I thought it might be fun to actually get them in my ears where I doubt I will be aware of them in the least. Like these from BGD.

Or....semi-bezels, like these from Whiteflash. Totally different. But platinum for either.

I think the first design could lend to either modern or antique...it is what I am leaning towards. But, I hem and haw so much it might be a year before I take the plunge. I also have a sapphire I need to set first and I am still flitting from idea to idea on a near daily basis...it is fun to toy with ideas even if they are a bit far in advance! :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh thank you so much for the detailed reply! I do see what you mean - there is a sense of depth to modern cuts from what I can tell in videos and perfect symmetry does pull you right in. They remind me of Islamic art, given their pattern, perfect symmetry and pursuit of perfection...

1603248625058.png

Is it accurate to say that antique cuts seem to have more "edge to edge" brightness with large flashes. (well, a nice one anyways)? I am also a sucker for the puffy crowns of the antiques...Ugh! Maybe I just do need both!

I am going to be slowly building out my "core" collection of fine jewelry. So, I think of these as starter studs, and want "classic" but with liveliness. I love the idea of "über sparkle" to frame the face. Understated in size, but KAPOW with light performance. I am imagining ~0.4-~0.5 carats each. I wonder if modern ideal cuts will fit the bill...

I love the look of claw prongs, but hate the way they feel on my fingers (I have weird sensory issues) - I thought it might be fun to actually get them in my ears where I doubt I will be aware of them in the least. Like these from BGD.

Or....semi-bezels, like these from Whiteflash. Totally different. But platinum for either.

I think the first design could lend to either modern or antique...it is what I am leaning towards. But, I hem and haw so much it might be a year before I take the plunge. I also have a sapphire I need to set first and I am still flitting from idea to idea on a near daily basis...it is fun to toy with ideas even if they are a bit far in advance! :lol:

Planning jewelry for the future is one of the great pleasures of collecting, I think. So much fun to design and dream!

I think that both antique and MRB cuts have edge to edge brightness, but there is an overall evenness to the facet size in antique cuts that just makes them look a little more uniform in pattern to me over their entire surface. The black of the tapered arrows lead to the center on an MRB, and I like that look. as it draws the eye nicely. ( - and, yes, VERY similar to the sort of image you posted above!) But antique cuts have a colorful light return which is just mesmerizing.

So basically - I think 'some of each' is exactly the right option!

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Very elegant, Mrs-b.......as usual!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Planning jewelry for the future is one of the great pleasures of collecting, I think. So much fun to design and dream!

I think that both antique and MRB cuts have edge to edge brightness, but there is an overall evenness to the facet size in antique cuts that just makes them look a little more uniform in pattern to me over their entire surface. The black of the tapered arrows lead to the center on an MRB, and I like that look. as it draws the eye nicely. ( - and, yes, VERY similar to the sort of image you posted above!) But antique cuts have a colorful light return which is just mesmerizing.

So basically - I think 'some of each' is exactly the right option!

Thank you - all of that makes plenty of sense. I think a bit of both might be the only way to go!!! :lol:

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
Hi! Longtime lurker, thought I'd finally share my original engagement ring here before I reset the stone into a necklace.

0.35ct, 4.5mm G SI2 OEC, in unplated 18k white gold. 6 1-2pt rose cut diamonds (3 on each side). "A.M. 2-13-39" is engraved inside – not sure who she/they were, but I find it awfully romantic to have an engagement ring from almost a century ago. I can't bring myself to use the gold in this new project (even though it would slash the price in half!), so I think I'll eventually set some other stone in here – maybe one of our birthstones?

This ring/diamond truly made me fall in love with old cuts – my upgrade is an OEC, too. Those chunky pastel petals are to die for!

A couple of crappy hand pics, and then the seller's glamour shots.

IMG_3923.jpg IMG_3921.jpg

engagement ring front.jpg engagement ring side2.jpg engagement ring above.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just realized that I hadn’t posted my VC Emilya in this thread! Gia 2.9 e si1 size 4.5 1F2003D5-0CFF-4495-967C-960EB42A90C8.jpeg

Gorgeous @nala...I love your diamond and setting! Your finger is so little!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Longtime lurker, thought I'd finally share my original engagement ring here before I reset the stone into a necklace.

0.35ct, 4.5mm G SI2 OEC, in unplated 18k white gold. 6 1-2pt rose cut diamonds (3 on each side). "A.M. 2-13-39" is engraved inside – not sure who she/they were, but I find it awfully romantic to have an engagement ring from almost a century ago. I can't bring myself to use the gold in this new project (even though it would slash the price in half!), so I think I'll eventually set some other stone in here – maybe one of our birthstones?

This ring/diamond truly made me fall in love with old cuts – my upgrade is an OEC, too. Those chunky pastel petals are to die for!

I absolutely LOVE this!

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
I absolutely LOVE this!

Thank you! So do I, I wore it daily for almost 5 years – but the decades and decades of wear before me mean that in some areas, the metal is too worn and thin for me to feel comfortable wearing it daily now. I might put a CS in it, and wear it every once in a while :))

MH_Mamun

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow baby nice and amazing

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is gorgeous!! May I be nosey and ask about your upgrade?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous @nala...I love your diamond and setting! Your finger is so little!

You are so sweet! My only complaint is that I don’t ever want to reset her bc now bc I have my holy grail setting but my eyes still wanders and I miss my resetting adventures!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so sweet! My only complaint is that I don’t ever want to reset her bc now bc I have my holy grail setting but my eyes still wanders and I miss my resetting adventures!

Maybe buy another one that you can play with! :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Right hand rings! Pendants! Earrings! Anything!

But don't you dare touch your gorgeous Emilya - it's a PS classic! I feel as tho all of us here have a degree of investment with that beauty! Did you ever give her a name? She deserves one. ..:))..

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe buy another one that you can play with! :lol:

Haha! I’m a one ring to rule them all! If I ever ventured into another ering it would have to be an emerald cut! But it’s not in me to rotate the big one. Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results