carat
color
clarity

The FAMILY Thread

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All family shots are to die for!
(Now I feel better I thought I had too many items).

But I have one serious question. I think it is a shame we have only ten fingers, and I am not even sure we put them all to good use! I have looked at this year's fashion - monochrome and grey. I think it is up to us to start the new trend, two rings per each finger for daily use. Can you imagine how beautiful a purple garnet ring would look next to a spessartite one, on one finger, neighboring the tsavorite/blue sapphire combo on the next one?
Feet, too. I saw one PSer posting a picture of a ring on her toe, and it suddenly opened the new world to me.
I know there are some bold people out there, but we need a movement! Let color speak for you, or color in your life, or something.
Not only do we need our beauties to see more sun, but think of the boost it will provide to the gemcutting industry, and to all manicure/pedicure and beauty business if it takes off. New haircuts to show off studs and earrings, new styling, too.
if we don't do it, the world won't move.

YES!!! I fully support this movement! :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for creating this feast for the eyes!

Catmom, could you please please please post a picture of your pins? The two you have posted in SMTB are stunning!

My "real" pins/brooches collection is small. I'm just starting on that. ;-) I have a quite large collection of vintage rhinestone pins and vintage Christmas pins but I can't show those here.

Brooch Family2.jpg
Brooch Family5.jpg
Brooch Family 4.jpg

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for obliging! Your collection is simply stunning. Each pin is different, but the collection as a whole is very coherent. I wish you many more beautiful pins!

My "real" pins/brooches collection is small. I'm just starting on that. ;-) I have a quite large collection of vintage rhinestone pins and vintage Christmas pins but I can't show those here.

ETA: My dream brooch, from http://vintage-antique-jewelry.com/...uby-sapphire-diamond-pearl-c1900-id-5293.html

antique-brooch-gold-demantoid-garnet-ruby-sapphire-diamond-pearl-c1900-id-5293.jpg

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my baby 1.58 lose Mahenge spinel. She was sold but the sale fell through so she is staying with her older red/pink spinel sisters. I don't think she minds. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all have such beautiful children :love:....let me know if any of you are looking for a free babysitted :razz:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, I love seeing your brooch collection! I think brooches should really make a comeback. They are such versatile, interesting mini works of art, that can be worn in so many ways. Love that you have a collection of them. Really lovely collection you have! Thanks for sharing.
I only have 2, which were purchased recently . Until actually owning one, I really didn't appreciate them, but now I really understand why they were so popular for centuries.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN, your stones are truly beautiful! What a great and full collection of spinels!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, I love seeing your brooch collection! I think brooches should really make a comeback. They are such versatile, interesting mini works of art, that can be worn in so many ways. Love that you have a collection of them. Really lovely collection you have! Thanks for sharing.
I only have 2, which were purchased recently . Until actually owning one, I really didn't appreciate them, but now I really understand why they were so popular for centuries.

Thank you Bluegemz! I wish they would make a comeback as well. I have quickly become a fan and have found that I prefer wearing them to wearing a pendant. I live mainly in a cold climate and wear sweaters pretty much 6 months of the year so they work so much better for me than pendants. I love that there are so many different ones but it seems I am drawn to nature pins, lol.

I would love to see yours?!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bluegemz! I wish they would make a comeback as well. I have quickly become a fan and have found that I prefer wearing them to wearing a pendant. I live mainly in a cold climate and wear sweaters pretty much 6 months of the year so they work so much better for me than pendants. I love that there are so many different ones but it seems I am drawn to nature pins, lol.

This is exactly how I feel too. In the winter, they are much easier than most pendants with bulky sweaters. I'm also drawn to the nature themed ones, especially flowers. I'll post a picture of the 2 I have as soon as I get home!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN, your stones are truly beautiful! What a great and full collection of spinels!
Thank you Bluegemz! :) I kind of lost my mind for pink and red spinels. I am embarrassed to say I actually have more than are pictured. Back in the day they were relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my baby 1.58 lose Mahenge spinel. She was sold but the sale fell through so she is staying with her older red/pink spinel sisters. I don't think she minds. :)

She certainly is a beauty. I bet she's happy staying with her family too...even though it gives you one more thing you'll eventually have to set. :D

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bluegemz! :) I kind of lost my mind for pink and red spinels. I am embarrassed to say I actually have more than are pictured. Back in the day they were relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
Ah LisaRN, there is no shame in loving and buying such soulful stones. You were lucky to buy them when you did! I resisted because I felt that reds and pinks were not good looking on my skin. I wish I hadn't been so silly lol!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, here is my humble collection of brooches, though they may not really fit in with CS. I forgot that I have this antique carved ivory one, passed down from my grandma. And, I recently purchased this antique Zuni turquoise and silver brooch. Actually, all except for the carved one I purchased this last year after really understanding what makes brooches so fun! I love how one can wear them with necklaces, on chains, on belts, hats and tops. They are so versatile!

The pearl one is from Panama and is known as a "mosquetta" pin, named after a kind of rose. Traditionally, there were natural pearls used from the plentiful oyster beds , but eventually cultured pearls were used. I was lucky to find these matching earrings and had them converted from screw backs.

The other is a filigree flower, which reminds me of fine, golden grassy hills of California. Filigree seems to be a slowly dying metal smithing technique. I find it fascinating that many cultures of the world had some version of it.

Anyway, this is a start, and I'd love to get some jeweled brooches eventually. I saw a beautiful diamond bee brooch at an antique jewelry shop and someone had bought it when I returned to inquire! I love your dragon flies with the floral brooches because of the fun relationships between flowers and bugs. How one positions the brooches changes the relationships!

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, here's one more which I forgot I had! This is a tad embarrassing.:roll: I purchased this garnet brooch in the darkest, shortest days of this past Winter. Then I made the black spinel necklace to clip it onto. Finally got the earrings to make it a set. It's strictly Winter jewelry because of the darkness of it. These antique garnet jewelry pieces look great in the evening because of how sparkly they are! Imagine with black cashmere sweater and leather boots on a snowy night.

IMG_3783.JPG

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, here is my humble collection of brooches, though they may not really fit in with CS. I forgot that I have this antique carved ivory one, passed down from my grandma. And, I recently purchased this antique Zuni turquoise and silver brooch. Actually, all except for the carved one I purchased this last year after really understanding what makes brooches so fun! I love how one can wear them with necklaces, on chains, on belts, hats and tops. They are so versatile!

The pearl one is from Panama and is known as a "mosquetta" pin, named after a kind of rose. Traditionally, there were natural pearls used from the plentiful oyster beds , but eventually cultured pearls were used. I was lucky to find these matching earrings and had them converted from screw backs.

The other is a filigree flower, which reminds me of fine, golden grassy hills of California. Filigree seems to be a slowly dying metal smithing technique. I find it fascinating that many cultures of the world had some version of it.

Anyway, this is a start, and I'd love to get some jeweled brooches eventually. I saw a beautiful diamond bee brooch at an antique jewelry shop and someone had bought it when I returned to inquire! I love your dragon flies with the floral brooches because of the fun relationships between flowers and bugs. How one positions the brooches changes the relationships!

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

Oh I love them, especially the filigree one! I'm sorry the bee was gone. I have a vintage rhinestone bee. I hope you can find another one like it. In case you ever just want to look at brooches, 1st Dibs has quite a number of them that I drool over.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love them, especially the filigree one! I'm sorry the bee was gone. I have a vintage rhinestone bee. I hope you can find another one like it. In case you ever just want to look at brooches, 1st Dibs has quite a number of them that I drool over.
Thank you for the kind words! Oh gosh, I Love the ones on 1stDibs. You know, rarely have I seen an unattractive brooch. I think maybe because they are designed to stand alone, they are usually beautifully designed.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Yowza! The filigree pieces are breathtaking. You have exquisite taste and gorgeous pieces!

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

I love that filigree flower. It reminds me of a similar one that I have in silver that I received as a gift from a Macedonian friend.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that filigree flower. It reminds me of a similar one that I have in silver that I received as a gift from a Macedonian friend.
Thank you, Mochito! I love filigree so much. Actually, I found an Italian artist who does silver filigree and ordered a hair brooch for my eldest daughter, some filigree heart earrings for my middle daughter, and a silver butterfly pin/pendant for my youngest. Silver filigree is beautiful.
I'd love to see your silver piece!

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Acinom. Would you know more details about the Spess (?) halo ring on your index finger? Second from top.

This was taken on a get together I think. Pricescope member bling.

IMG_2886.JPG

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Acinom. Would you know more details about the Spess (?) halo ring on your index finger? Second from top.
I am afrraid not... this is not my hand and the photo has been taken on a PS get together I think. It looks familiar but I cannot remember to whom it belongs I'm afraid. Hopefuly the owner of this ring chimes in.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be, or it might be MiraclesRule's ring on which NOKTB's is modeled (with permission of course)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be, or it might be MiraclesRule's ring on which NOKTB's is modeled (with permission of course)

Nice catch! I believe you are correct. :D

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, a few of those rings are mine, but not the spess one. MB is correct, it's Miraclesrules' ring that I obsessed over from that date on, until I created my own. :) I have a fantastic video (too bad we can't post vids here!) of her ring GLOWING in flashing fluorescent club lighting. lol

Chrono, I die every time I see those spinels. Serious. Spinel. Envy!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results