shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about peices that "got away"

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
GemView, that is such a cool ring! I love the grapes.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Can I add my happy ending to this thread?

I saw a necklace just like this one at NY JaWS a decade or so ago and didn't buy it because it seemed too expensive (I don't even remember how much they were asking). It's a multi-gemstone harlequin necklace from c. the 1880s. For years I kicked myself for passing it up. I kept looking and saw many similar necklaces, but never the same one, with a ropy, 3D chain and lovely irregular natural stones in their delicate crown settings.

Then last week, @Paisley2628 told me she was considering selling her Victorian harlequin necklace--and it was just like the one that got away! She generously allowed me to buy it. I could not be happier!

And she even sold me a companion bracelet!

Edited to add:
Moral: Don't give up hope! Your dream piece may reappear someday.

IMG_7971.jpeg

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

I saw a necklace just like this one at NY JaWS a decade or so ago and didn't buy it because it seemed too expensive (I don't even remember how much they were asking). It's a multi-gemstone harlequin necklace from c. the 1880s. For years I kicked myself for passing it up. I kept looking and saw many similar necklaces, but never the same one, with a ropy, 3D chain and lovely irregular natural stones in their delicate crown settings.

Then last week, @Paisley2628 told me she was considering selling her Victorian harlequin necklace--and it was just like the one that got away! She generously allowed me to buy it. I could not be happier!

Edited to add:

IMG_7971.jpeg

The best feeling! I love it, and I'll bet the set looks especially divine twinkling in the sun.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Edited to add:

IMG_7971.jpeg

Aww this is such a beautiful story and deserves to be shared here as well https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ps-treasures.271409/

I love the PS community in finding and recycling bling! Everyone gets a bit of love :kiss2:

Nevish

Rough_Rock
There was a diamond that Alex Park posted probably years ago at this point. It had crazy kozibe, not a large diamond but man, I would have loved to own it. @lovedogs maybe you remember it? I know I shared it here but I couldn’t find the post despite searching.

Then there is this ring, it was posted for sale on IG, a jewelry seller on IG bought it and then listed out of my price range. Georgian reproduction with pink sapphire and old cut diamonds, I think the diamonds were from a brooch originally. Would have loved to own this but was not meant to be:

3D6F506B-E777-4B0C-B278-AF29D4948784.jpeg

Maybe it was this--which is also my One Who Got Away https://www.pricescope.com/communit...arks-insta-earlier-today.260467/#post-4833668

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Only two things.

One was a fancy white from leibish. It had the perfect bluish white hue with flashes of orange. I think it was $17k for 1.5 carats and I just couldn’t get over the price - was snapped up when it went on sale.

In ny hunt for an OMC - this still haunts me. It was 30k in cash and was bought by a dealer. This is truly the one that got away and I always have it in the back of my mind

IMG_0755.jpeg IMG_0756.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have one that just happened! I’m so mad at myself. A really thick curb bracelet has been on my wish list. I don’t aggressively look anymore, but I happened upon one last night. It was still expensive even though it was actually the cost of scrap value. But it weighed almost 40 g. I hesitated, but went back this morning to look and it’s gone. It’s on my waitlist in case the person returns it, but I doubt they will.

IMG_0211.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The brown was 1ct and around 5- 5.5 mm if i recall correctly. The larger J color was 1.81 cts so I’m guessing around 6.5-7mm range. I really hope to recreate someday. French cuts above 1 ct seem to be nonexistent.

Dolly is selling some larger French cuts tonight!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Dolly is selling some larger French cuts tonight!

Thank you! They are so pretty but a bit too small unfortunately. I’m hoping for a single stone over 1 ct

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! So pretty. I’m tempted to scoop up that .70 but I really want one that’s 1+ cts

I misunderstood her earlier story and thought one of them was 1.19 but now realize she meant the pair. Oops!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I misunderstood her earlier story and thought one of them was 1.19 but now realize she meant the pair. Oops!

I was close to scooping one up anyways. Those frenchies were gorgeous. Thank you for remembering that I was after a French cut and sharing!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I missed out on a moval a few months ago and I’m still having a total meltdown. It was about 5k over what I have allocated to the bling fund. I knew if I discussed with my husband I could make it happen but I was being stubborn and held off. He had just surprised me with my brownie for Christmas so I didn’t want to ask. I finally brought it up but it was sold when I went to buy it. I do reverse image searches morning and night. It was a 4.5 ct super enlongated Moval. IF clarity and WX color with a large culet and 18mm spread- $20k. I totally missed out and have been pouting for months. I think it’s a unicorn but if anyone happens to come across anything please message me on loupe troop.

<a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-for-mjay-on-ps;44987">Contact for MJAY on PS on Loupe Troop</a>

-antique style moval or marquise
-3 ish carats (prefer 4 but likely not doable in my budget)
- prefer end of alphabet, yellowish brown, orangy brown, maybe strong fluorescence. Just something yellowish or unique. Open to whiter though if cut is there.
- decent clarity preferably VS+
- large open culet (open not a long “butt crack” culet)
- newly cut is fine
- around 10-15k. Can do a bit higher but I’ll have to discuss with the husband.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! So pretty. I’m tempted to scoop up that .70 but I really want one that’s 1+ cts

.70 really might not scratch the itch. When I was looking a french cut for my ring, I was hoping to find at least 1 ct. for the center. Yoram didn't have the right rough to cut me anything larger than .70 ct which came in at 4.8 mm. So just make sure that something under 5 mm will make you happy.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I missed out on a moval a few months ago and I’m still having a total meltdown. It was about 5k over what I have allocated to the bling fund. I knew if I discussed with my husband I could make it happen but I was being stubborn and held off. He had just surprised me with my brownie for Christmas so I didn’t want to ask. I finally brought it up but it was sold when I went to buy it. I do reverse image searches morning and night. It was a 4.5 ct super enlongated Moval. IF clarity and WX color with a large culet and 18mm spread- $20k. I totally missed out and have been pouting for months. I think it’s a unicorn but if anyone happens to come across anything please message me on loupe troop.

<a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-for-mjay-on-ps;44987">Contact for MJAY on PS on Loupe Troop</a>

-antique style moval or marquise
-3 ish carats (prefer 4 but likely not doable in my budget)
- prefer end of alphabet, yellowish brown, orangy brown, maybe strong fluorescence. Just something yellowish or unique. Open to whiter though if cut is there.
- decent clarity preferably VS+
- large open culet (open not a long “butt crack” culet)
- newly cut is fine
- around 10-15k. Can do a bit higher but I’ll have to discuss with the husband.

I completely understand how you feel. I think I will always be sad about missing out on a 3.45 I/IF Old Euro set in the most perfect Edwardian setting ever. Sigh.
Everything happens for a reason

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I completely understand how you feel. I think I will always be sad about missing out on a 3.45 I/IF Old Euro set in the most perfect Edwardian setting ever. Sigh.
Everything happens for a reason

I remember reading your comment about that ring. My heart sank when I read it. We are definitely in the same boat. It’s such an icky feeling. Old cuts are so unique to that it makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement. It sucks because I have a few loose gemstones to set but I don’t want to spend a penny in a case something similar to my moval pops up. I finally saw something similar yesterday and got super excited but the price was just not good for the specs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results