shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about peices that "got away"

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 0 need for new jewelry (and frankly can't afford it), but this piece (the anchor pendant) stole my heart today. Happily for my wallet, someone snagged it before I could. But if it's a PSer who bought it and you want to rehome, I want dibs!

Feel free to share pieces that have gotten away from you!

Screenshot_20231215_201403_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231215_201408_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_201408_Instagram.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 9

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have spoken about this one before. From Anup. It was/is swoon worthy...unfortunately I think he took it apart. But not sure. This is from a number of years ago...

The stone :kiss2:
anupsring.png

And the setting. :kiss2:
anupsringprofile.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a diamond that Alex Park posted probably years ago at this point. It had crazy kozibe, not a large diamond but man, I would have loved to own it. @lovedogs maybe you remember it? I know I shared it here but I couldn’t find the post despite searching.

Then there is this ring, it was posted for sale on IG, a jewelry seller on IG bought it and then listed out of my price range. Georgian reproduction with pink sapphire and old cut diamonds, I think the diamonds were from a brooch originally. Would have loved to own this but was not meant to be:

3D6F506B-E777-4B0C-B278-AF29D4948784.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Demelza’s ring. I wanted to buy it and asked about it but it was during Covid and she couldn’t ship insured from Canada and couldn’t cross to US bc of Covid. Then I bought a different OeC ring which I loved, but a year later restrictions were lifted and she even contacted me but I couldn’t buy it so I listed my ring for sale and was saving etc. Then my husband just said “get it don’t worry about selling your ring” and I contacted her and someone has bought it that day. This in the end was kind of a good thing bc I bought my almost 4ct soli from SinCityFinds- I never thought I’d have the opportunity to own a stone that big. But then the ring came up again lol on Grace’s site, then LT! Even though I have an amazing and larger solitaire I still wish I had $ to burn to have bought that ring when it reappeared. It is like it comes back to haunt me lol. Most of you know the ring in question:

IMG_8404.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The there is this ring that was $1500 for nice sized OEC in this emerald and plat setting and for some dumb reason I was thinking on it too much. Pics are bad bc it was from a video from seller. Can’t find original listing but it was so pretty.
IMG_8405.jpeg IMG_8406.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for sharing! Do you think I could try to have someone like DK make an "inspired by" piece? It would be a pendant, not brooch, and smaller (this one was pretty big). Or is that a terrible idea?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not terrible if you would love it just as much as the original.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooooh I forgot I have another one to add! This piece was on ebay right when I joined PS or a bit after (must have been 2016-2017). It was 1650 for the mount (WHICH HAD THE DIAMONDS ON THE SHANK). At the time it was out of my $$ comfort zone. I can't BELIEVE I didn't buy it, and seriously still think about it. Can't even bring myself to delete the pics on my computer.

3-stone ring design_2.JPG

3-stone ring design 1.JPG

3 stone ring desigh_3.JPG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher or anyone else who has photoshop--is there any way to figure out how big the pearl is if I know the total length of the original piece was 43mm? My computer doesn't really have a program that can measure length of anything, but I think photoshop would let me figure out the ratio of the pearl length to the total length.

EDIT: Figured out how to do it in paint on my computer--nevermind!

Last edited:
B

Betty Baguette

A couple of pieces under $500 that I passed up/got away that I kinda regret now:

This one mainly for the setting:

And this one for the superb gold work:

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock
I have 0 need for new jewelry (and frankly can't afford it), but this piece (the anchor pendant) stole my heart today. Happily for my wallet, someone snagged it before I could. But if it's a PSer who bought it and you want to rehome, I want dibs!

Feel free to share pieces that have gotten away from you!

Screenshot_20231215_201403_Instagram.jpg

I saw this after it had already sold, (so I'm not sure what it cost, if it would even have been an option for me), but I LOVE it!

Of course I didn't realize it was an anchor, I thought it was the symbol of the Rebel Alliance.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago (like more than 20... ) the X hubs and I were in a mall in Phoenix and a store had a really well cut 1.7 ct "yellow" MRB. The stone was probably really on the XYZ scale, but I could have set it in yellow and really brought out the color. It was only $3K, but at the time that seemed like "too much." I think about that stone every time we have a "what have to missed out on" thread and it still makes me sad!

Now I've got a gorgeous 3+ ct yellow oval in a setting that I love, so I'm not yellow-less, and there have been other things over the years that I've stupidly passed on, but this is The One That Got Away for me.

ETA: I just realized this is in the Antique and Vintage Forum! Duh!!! Sorry -- please ignore me. Only three sips into my coffee!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Many years ago (like more than 20... ) the X hubs and I were in a mall in Phoenix and a store had a really well cut 1.7 ct "yellow" MRB. The stone was probably really on the XYZ scale, but I could have set it in yellow and really brought out the color. It was only $3K, but at the time that seemed like "too much." I think about that stone every time we have a "what have to missed out on" thread and it still makes me sad!

Now I've got a gorgeous 3+ ct yellow oval in a setting that I love, so I'm not yellow-less, and there have been other things over the years that I've stupidly passed on, but this is The One That Got Away for me.

ETA: I just realized this is in the Antique and Vintage Forum! Duh!!! Sorry -- please ignore me. Only three sips into my coffee!

I think it still counts!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love this thread!

I have two rings that got away...

The first was years ago, I was really in love with Asscher cuts and I think a PS'er was selling her ring. But I kept hesitating..

IMG_1083.JPG

I wonder if it was ever meant to be, since after that I started getting into old cuts more particularly old mine cuts.

The moon stoned had my HG ring for sale a while ago and I always think about it. The faceting is my favourite. I wish I could find a stone like that in that size.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 58

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love this thread!

I have two rings that got away...

The first was years ago, I was really in love with Asscher cuts and I think a PS'er was selling her ring. But I kept hesitating..

IMG_1083.JPG

I wonder if it was ever meant to be, since after that I started getting into old cuts more particularly old mine cuts.

The moon stoned had my HG ring for sale a while ago and I always think about it. The faceting is my favourite. I wish I could find a stone like that in that size.

Oh my the puffy crown on the OMC you posted. I can see how it would be the one that got away.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
This mine, I’ve posted before about it. My now husband went to get the ring and it had just sold. They had it for a year, what are the odds that it had just sold right before he went to get it. I was devastated. It’s not the best photo because it’s been about 12 years now. I see keep an eye peeled for it. IMG_0628.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh how much time to do we have? :lol-2:

Here’s my 'white whale' bracelet from NY Jaws 2021:

IMG_6470.jpeg

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Loving this thread.
Mine was a big 10.0 Carat Emerald Cabochon in an honestly all-original antique Art Nouveau setting.
I hesitated because I was scared of Emeralds and didn’t know enough.
Still keep the pic in my albums and keep an eye peeled for her…. IMG_1072.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
1702845068568.png Bought last Feb. on 1st dibs, spready .95 ct I color OMC in plat. antique setting from a lovely woman in the UK. Somewhere between Manchester and Heathrow it disappeared, later "deemed lost" by DHL. I was gutted and a series of misfortunates followed. The battery in my 2002 hybrid died, $2,400, due to not driving during Covid. I got a bladder infection, first on years. And Iost my good glove on the way to the lab. I could go on but I'm sick of myself already.
So I look at OMCs but dare not buy.
I was so sad on the phone that the DHL agent sent me flowers. Can you believe that?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1702845068568.png Bought last Feb. on 1st dibs, spready .95 ct I color OMC in plat. antique setting from a lovely woman in the UK. Somewhere between Manchester and Heathrow it disappeared, later "deemed lost" by DHL. I was gutted and a series of misfortunates followed. The battery in my 2002 hybrid died, $2,400, due to not driving during Covid. I got a bladder infection, first on years. And Iost my good glove on the way to the lab. I could go on but I'm sick of myself already.
I was so sad on the phone that the DHL agent sent me flowers. Can you believe that?

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry

empliau

Shiny_Rock

Holy heartbreak, Batman. I am so sorry. I lost something to the mail too, and I keep telling myself it's just a thing. But realistically, I'm okay without it. That ring though - I would not be okay without it! DHL owes you more than flowers IMHO.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Mine! Pitney bowes lost this pin, it was french, 18k, and under $300. The earrings sold for $5 more than my max bid and the emerald ring sold for Screenshot_20231217_191502_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231217_191306_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231217_191037_eBay.jpg $2k and I forgot to bid on it.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Mine was a RHR from GildedLane.
I don't know what it is, but I still think about it. It just sings to me. I couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have to pay for, even though it wasn't super expensive. If I remember it sold twice and my heart broke a little both times. I hope whoever owns it loves it like I would.

ean

Brilliant_Rock

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry

My next purchase was the CBI from you. You said, "No bad juju." I thought, I hope you're right, sister.
It's sitting my my desk in a temp ring, shining at me thru the day, waiting for setting idea
Mine! Pitney bowes lost this pin, it was french, 18k, and under $300. The earrings sold for $5 more than my max bid and the emerald ring sold for Screenshot_20231217_191502_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231217_191306_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20231217_191037_eBay.jpg $2k and I forgot to bid on it.

F*ck!
s. Thank you.

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Mine was a RHR from GildedLane.
I don't know what it is, but I still think about it. It just sings to me. I couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have to pay for, even though it wasn't super expensive. If I remember it sold twice and my heart broke a little both times. I hope whoever owns it loves it like I would.

1696985216561.png

This is gorgeous!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Two fairly recently that still sting.

1702940594160.png
This rose de france amethyst that I absolutely loved, but couldn't convince myself was practical, and the day I decided to bite the bullet, it had just sold.

1702940691317.png
And this absolute honker of a moonstone. Same story as the amethyst. The lady sold it to a jeweler the very day I reached out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results