shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about peices that "got away"

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Very pricey ring at Lang but it's been for sale for a while so maybe there's wiggle room. The center stone is a 1.60 carat H/VS2 French Cut!

lang-collection-1-60-carat-french-cut-diamond-ring-gia-h-vs2_1_10-11-13087.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Of course, here it is. DK made the ring and since the center was smaller than I wanted, I added those little sides for the finger coverage. Yoram was very generous and sent 4 tiny french cuts to DK for me at no extra charge since he wanted me to be happy.
front snip.JPG

Killer!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I remember seeing this one and thinking what a unicorn. I have no idea how much it sold for.

I have noticed this vendor has had many warmer French cuts. I’m reserving funds to set my brownie right now but once I have the funds he’s probably the vendor to reach out to.
How are you trying to reach him? I didn't have any problem with that. Right now given his location, it might be an issue though. It's been several years now, but I believe I first contacted him via his website. And he did occasionally post on PS.
I contacted him through his website. I attempted twice. This was at least a year or two ago.
Very pricey ring at Lang but it's been for sale for a while so maybe there's wiggle room. The center stone is a 1.60 carat H/VS2 French Cut!

lang-collection-1-60-carat-french-cut-diamond-ring-gia-h-vs2_1_10-11-13087.jpg

So so pretty but yes pricey. Im optimistically looking for a loose stone but I’ll probably eventually give up on that. Single stone has some cute French cut rings. Still more than I want to spend but I’ll probably settle on one of those eventually.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My one that got away was a 4 plus carat antique GIA E color SI2 diamond that was almost all crown. It had a smaller pavilion than the crown and it had a large culet. When I put it on my hand I could see straight through the center of the stone (similar to a rose cut). But the sides were faceted, fiery and glittery and not transparent. It was a very old antique. But wonky. I loved it, the size and E color were amazing but I didn’t know how to set it to hide the translucent center. I was also embarrassed to buy an imperfect Old Cut (outside of PS standards).

This was long before the large old cut craze started for anyone but PSers, and before rose cuts became popular. It was BEFORE they started making “newly cut” old cut stones, too. I sent it back. The vendor called a few weeks later and said they had recut it, and would I want to purchase it recut. The original and new price were very good (this was priced as a SI2 wonky ugly stone). I cringed and couldn’t even consider it.

I still think about that stone. When I see photos of honker diamonds from 18th Century noble person necklaces, I wonder if that stone came from one of those necklaces. The color and size and heft was marvelous. Now I’m thinking about HOW I can get that old wonky cut done on an LGD to recreate my dream stone that got away because I returned it! (And maybe take care of the translucent center with a slightly improved cut.). In my dreams.

This is the era the diamond came from, I’m sure. 18th Century/early 19th Century. The cuts were very un-uniform, and the diamonds were large. (Unless of course this was a “practice cut” from someone trying out how to cut old cuts. But way before that was ever a thing.) Literally the vendor scoffed at the original cut and said no one on PS would want it. The original cut was really wonderful.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it though and went to visit it today.

That is amazing! I love the emeralds (or garnets) at the cardinal points!

Must be contemporary? Looks almost "too perfect" to be original? It's a brilliant design with those vivid little pops of color pulling it together. It's like wearable interior decorating. :mrgreen2:

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 12.28.03 PM.png

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
That is amazing! I love the emeralds (or garnets) at the cardinal points!

Must be contemporary? Looks almost "too perfect" to be original? It's a brilliant design with those vivid little pops of color pulling it together. It's like wearable interior decorating. :mrgreen2:

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 12.28.03 PM.png

@LilAlex they are emeralds at the points. The piece is being sold from a fairly high end antique jewellery store and is advertised as circa 1910. It does look perfect in real life from my quick inspection. I suspect it may not have been worn much. It is $$$

I would say that the opal is about 15-20% less vivid in real life. The iphone camera really picks up the colours.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
830EFEB6-9FD5-48B5-8466-281C7BDA5C06.jpeg

This piece will be one that got away as it is seriously out of my price range. I love it though and went to visit it today.

Good god this is heartbreakingly beautiful. Like. OMG. OMG. :shock:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Good god this is heartbreakingly beautiful. Like. OMG. OMG. :shock:

I am highly selective about what I like. However, I saw this piece a couple of months ago when it was being displayed in the front window and it literally stopped me in my tracks. I immediately went in to ask the price (very unusual for me). Suffice to say it was $ x4 what I thought was a generous jewellery budget. :(2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am highly selective about what I like. However, I saw this piece a couple of months ago when it was being displayed in the front window and it literally stopped me in my tracks. I immediately went in to ask the price (very unusual for me). Suffice to say it was $ x4 what I thought was a generous jewellery budget. :(2
Ugh. So surgery to repair the broken heart that results from walking away is likely the cheaper option here. I can’t imagine how marvellous it must be in-person… I don’t need more opals (and I don’t need heart break surgery either) but dang it if I wouldn’t be trying to justify it anyway!

Thank you for sharing CMN. It’s an insidious form of snobbery - nowadays jewellery rarely makes me outright gasp, even in-person, let alone in photos - but here I am, this one did it!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Well, I can add this one now :cry2:

She wasn’t my dream ring, she was my plan B. That setting, that moval… absolute perfection. Ugh, this one is going to sting for a while.

Back to saving.

To my high color 3ct Edwardian OEC/Tranny:
I’ll find you someday…. Sigh.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 11.08.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 11.09.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 11.09.08 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
It’s taken me a while to add to this thread, because I can’t even talk about mine without getting the heart clench! :cry2: In my case, the universe gave me TWO chances, and I still managed to mess it up.

I first saw the ring on Jack Weir’s IG. It wasn’t what I was looking for at the time, but something about it made me want to see more. I went down to their offices to see it in person, and I absolutely loved it. It felt irresponsible buying a ring at this price point when I didn’t really NEED it, but they were having their end of year sale, so I sprung for it.

I had the ring at home for a week or so, and the guilt kept creeping in. The return window was quickly closing, and I decided to bring it back for some reason I will never understand. Cut to a few weeks later, and the ring was sold. I was devastated.

Now here’s why I’m a real dummy. Three months went by, and I couldn’t stop thinking about the ring. I was kicking myself for not keeping it….and THEN…I see it posted to Walton’s IG. It was more expensive now, but OMG! It was fate! Except…Walton’s doesn’t offer refunds with their return policy, and I got cold feet.

So I thought about it more for the next three months, when I was suddenly booked on a work trip to Nashville, just a short distance from Walton’s shop in Franklin - score! I reached out and set up an appointment to go visit my ring. Walton’s was amazing, the staff was amazing, and my ring…still amazing. I was there for a good two hours just staring at it, taking it outside to see it in the daylight, trying it on with all kinds of fun bands…but that no refunds return policy gave me the panics again. I decided to leave and keep thinking.

It was to my advantage anyway, I told myself, because I wouldn’t have to pay tax if I went home and had them ship me the ring! So I went home. Thought about it for another week or so. And then told them I was ready to take the plunge.

The ring had sold the day before.

:wall:

It’s been a year and a half now, and I still feel sick every time I think about it. I literally do a google image search on it every month just in case it happens to pop up somewhere. For some reason I feel like we will cross paths again, and the third time will be the charm….one can dream!

Here she is. An original antique, I believe Victorian, with a mesmerizing QR OEC that took my breath away….

Hope to see you again someday, lovely!!

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock
It’s taken me a while to add to this thread, because I can’t even talk about mine without getting the heart clench! :cry2: In my case, the universe gave me TWO chances, and I still managed to mess it up.

I first saw the ring on Jack Weir’s IG. It wasn’t what I was looking for at the time, but something about it made me want to see more. I went down to their offices to see it in person, and I absolutely loved it. It felt irresponsible buying a ring at this price point when I didn’t really NEED it, but they were having their end of year sale, so I sprung for it.

I had the ring at home for a week or so, and the guilt kept creeping in. The return window was quickly closing, and I decided to bring it back for some reason I will never understand. Cut to a few weeks later, and the ring was sold. I was devastated.

Now here’s why I’m a real dummy. Three months went by, and I couldn’t stop thinking about the ring. I was kicking myself for not keeping it….and THEN…I see it posted to Walton’s IG. It was more expensive now, but OMG! It was fate! Except…Walton’s doesn’t offer refunds with their return policy, and I got cold feet.

So I thought about it more for the next three months, when I was suddenly booked on a work trip to Nashville, just a short distance from Walton’s shop in Franklin - score! I reached out and set up an appointment to go visit my ring. Walton’s was amazing, the staff was amazing, and my ring…still amazing. I was there for a good two hours just staring at it, taking it outside to see it in the daylight, trying it on with all kinds of fun bands…but that no refunds return policy gave me the panics again. I decided to leave and keep thinking.

It was to my advantage anyway, I told myself, because I wouldn’t have to pay tax if I went home and had them ship me the ring! So I went home. Thought about it for another week or so. And then told them I was ready to take the plunge.

The ring had sold the day before.

:wall:

It’s been a year and a half now, and I still feel sick every time I think about it. I literally do a google image search on it every month just in case it happens to pop up somewhere. For some reason I feel like we will cross paths again, and the third time will be the charm….one can dream!

Here she is. An original antique, I believe Victorian, with a mesmerizing QR OEC that took my breath away….

Hope to see you again someday, lovely!!

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5198.jpeg

This is gorgeous! I'll be hoping you get that third opportunity! I'll definitely get a look out

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
it’s been over a month and I still can’t talk about her … my dream ring. I even picked up a second job and was stashing money away. I would had had enough saved up this summer :cry2: IMG_1092.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
it’s been over a month and I still can’t talk about her … my dream ring. I even picked up a second job and was stashing money away. I would had had enough saved up this summer :cry2: IMG_1092.jpeg

You can make her! Yes you can!

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Last year I let this sweet white-and-blue Zircon 10K gold ring get away from me on Etsy. (I had contacted the seller with intent to purchase but the seller suggested it wasn't for me because she didn't like my inquiry about polishing the worn stones as opposed to keeping it entirely original.)

Supposedly the ring dates to the 1940s but to my eye it has an Art Nouveau appearance with the floral (repousse?) details. (Or maybe it would be considered an orange blossom ring? Chime in if you know!) At any rate, I have yet to come across anything quite like the Etsy find, but in searching using Google images I found another unique ring — pink grapes with a 6.5mm natural Blue Zircon held in by leaf shaped prongs. Lesson learned, I did not make the mistake of letting another one get away. (I took it as a sign that it was already in my size, lol. Pictured on my finger below.)

1712106291999.png

IMG_7547_BLUEZIRCON_GRAPELEAVES_RING_PEARSONS.JPEG

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Last year I let this sweet white-and-blue Zircon 10K gold ring get away from me on Etsy. (I had contacted the seller with intent to purchase but the seller suggested it wasn't for me because she didn't like my inquiry about polishing the worn stones as opposed to keeping it entirely original.)

Supposedly the ring dates to the 1940s but to my eye it has an Art Nouveau appearance with the floral (repousse?) details. (Or maybe it would be considered an orange blossom ring? Chime in if you know!) At any rate, I have yet to come across anything quite like the Etsy find, but in searching using Google images I found another unique ring — pink grapes with a 6.5mm natural Blue Zircon held in by leaf shaped prongs. Lesson learned, I did not make the mistake of letting another one get away. (I took it as a sign that it was already in my size, lol. Pictured on my finger below.)

1712106291999.png

IMG_7547_BLUEZIRCON_GRAPELEAVES_RING_PEARSONS.JPEG

I like the one you got better!! It’s so pretty and unique!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results