shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about peices that "got away"

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
I have a number of these "ones that got away" from over the years. My taste shows pretty obviously when I put them together. :oops:
Screenshot_20231218_143813_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231218_143618_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231218_143503_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231218_143311_Chrome.jpg
637ac4cbda8db07ad9170d9af2eec24e.jpg IMG_20231218_152345_643.jpg
I rarely ever wear cufflinks so I couldn't justify the cost of those. The second cameo of Hadrian was already on hold for a collector who lived near the vendor so I never had a chance. The first cameo of Night/Nyx isn't the same one I missed out on, but a similar cameo without a frame was up for auction on eBay. I think the winner of the auction had a bot set up to surpass any bid I made, so it got sniped at the last milisecond. Anything of the same goddess is hundreds of dollars more since then. :nono:

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I have a number of these "ones that got away" from over the years. My taste shows pretty obviously when I put them together. :oops:
I rarely ever wear cufflinks so I couldn't justify the cost of those. The second cameo of Hadrian was already on hold for a collector who lived near the vendor so I never had a chance. The first cameo of Night/Nyx isn't the same one I missed out on, but a similar cameo without a frame was up for auction on eBay. I think the winner of the auction had a bot set up to surpass any bid I made, so it got sniped at the last milisecond. Anything of the same goddess is hundreds of dollars more since then. :nono:

@asterismdispersion I saw some gorgeous gorgeous cufflinks and my H keeps telling me he won't use the enough, but they are so pretty.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was curious so started scrolling back through photos.

About a decade ago, this (overpriced) aqua. Actually kind of an awkward pendant and who knows what its original configuration was -- lotta meaningless articulations -- but I loved the cut and color:

gaw aqua.jpg

EDIT: ^ Just did reverse image search and it appears that this is still floating around out there a decade later so maybe it never got away...?

Then this jadeite maybe five years ago (sold later that day):

gaw ring 1.jpg

Then, a year or two later, this other jadeite that was not quite as nice as the one above that got away and so we hesitated (has a "reflector" back like a car headlight)...too long:

gaw 2nd ring.jpg

Considering that we own vs. what we have admired, I'm sure there are many, many others!

Last edited:

Eclectic

Rough_Rock

Oh wow you know so much about cameos! I usually can't figure out who the cameo represents and just give up trying. Except I know Diana usually has a crescent on her forehead and Minerva wears a battle helmet.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow you know so much about cameos! I usually can't figure out who the cameo represents and just give up trying. Except I know Diana usually has a crescent on her forehead and Minerva wears a battle helmet.

Here is a great website where you can research cameos. It is packed with detailed information .
There is a search where you can enter search words like grapes, wheat, etc. to ID your cameo.
Under the menu, you will see an abundance of great info.
There is also a "key" where you can identify your cameo based on descriptive words.

Here's what Cameo Times says about Diana

Last edited:

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

gaw ring 1.jpg

That's a ring I would have liked to have owned!

I think that half bezel design may be right for an emerald cab I've been waiting to set. In any case, it's going into my inspiration folder.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More vintage than antique but there was this very thick, square shaped, yellow gold ring with gemstones. I had beautiful engraving. I was the highest bidder and decided not to up my bid and it got swiped at the last moment. I still think about that ring. I have promised myself that if I see something I truly love I won't vacillate on spending the money as long as it is within reason.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
1703318090971.png
Among many that got away from me .. I just got reminded of this recent one. This antique art deco brooch by Cartier, double-sided diamond and ruby & swiveling - can be worn full diamond or full ruby.
I couldn't cough up $9000+ when it went up for auction and I just saw it posted again by a dealer. Based on what I know about that dealer, they are probably asking at least 5x of that...

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I’ve missed out on plenty over the years.

Most recently, I had been watching this one. I didn’t have the funds for it after a recent large purchase. I almost asked for layaway, but it just sold a day or two ago. ;(

IMG_9166.jpeg

This one was well outside my budget but man did I love it!
IMG_9192.png

This one belonged to @HS4S_2 and I freaking adored that setting! It found a home with another PSer and I continúe to lust after it. Lol.
IMG_9195.jpeg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I’ve missed out on plenty over the years.

This one belonged to @HS4S_2 and I freaking adored that setting! It found a home with another PSer and I continúe to lust after it. Lol.
IMG_9195.jpeg

You aren’t the only one lusting after this! :kiss2::kiss2: I have it saved to my inspo photos. I would love to recreate it, it’s sublime!!!!!!!

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
@asterismdispersion I saw some gorgeous gorgeous cufflinks and my H keeps telling me he won't use the enough, but they are so pretty.
Avoiding hoarding jewelry one will rarely wear is such a quandary, haha. I opted to buy a pair of cufflinks that were 1/3 the cost of the lowest priced pair that I loved and that was that. Some of the estate ones are so cool, and then I've seen them converted into earrings and I feel a little sad, but move on to the next period piece.

With a little obsession, er, homework, yes, you get an idea who many of the cameos are inspired by. The site @stracci2000 linked to has a lot of good information on cameo carvings. The mythological ones are my favorites.
Was curious so started scrolling back through photos.

About a decade ago, this (overpriced) aqua. Actually kind of an awkward pendant and who knows what its original configuration was -- lotta meaningless articulations -- but I loved the cut and color:

EDIT: ^ Just did reverse image search and it appears that this is still floating around out there a decade later so maybe it never got away...?

Then, a year or two later, this other jadeite that was not quite as nice as the one above that got away and so we hesitated (has a "reflector" back like a car headlight)...too long:

Considering that we own vs. what we have admired, I'm sure there are many, many others!
Oh, that aquamarine piece is so unique. Lovely.

I also wish I had just bit the bullet and tried to snag a nicer jade cabochon piece a couple years earlier. Since the pandemic I've not seen many with the degree of translucency and vividness of color you shared here. Sigh, first world problem.
Among many that got away from me .. I just got reminded of this recent one. This antique art deco brooch by Cartier, double-sided diamond and ruby & swiveling - can be worn full diamond or full ruby.
I couldn't cough up $9000+ when it went up for auction and I just saw it posted again by a dealer. Based on what I know about that dealer, they are probably asking at least 5x of that...
This is a mindblowing invention by Cartier. I can't imagine having that many matching stones on an entirely reversible brooch. Wow.
Add this one now that it sold :cry2:

Tiffany & Co, Art Deco

Beautiful crystal and details in the engraving. :clap:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
And my two OG heartbreakers. I found both of these when I was just starting to get into jewelry, and wouldn't allow myself to spend more than a few hundred dollars on anything. So much regret.
1094c10eb0f81208fa03127c33460458.jpg 86a87fcc40a0a2c8889b5332a3345560.jpg
7349be01d80c1ff58b818f49d7d984d3.jpg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few that haunt me.

The first I’ve talked about on here a few times. A little orangy brown French cut. It was listed on eBay. I was negotiating with the seller when a dealer swooped in. The dealer then listed it at an eye watering markup. I think about this guy so often it’s ridiculous. I hope to have it recreated someday. I reached out to Gem Concepts about recreating it awhile back but they ignored me. IMG_6988.jpeg

Next up: this 1.8 ct French cut heavy platinum ring from estate diamond jewelry. I didn’t have the funds at the time and was saving up when it sold. I’ve casually thought about recreating it with lab but I can’t seem to bring myself to jump on the lab train. IMG_6989.jpeg

And finally, this brown moval that Alex park sold last year. I didn’t see it until after it sold. I totally would have purchased it.

IMG_6987.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a few that haunt me.

The first I’ve talked about on here a few times. A little orangy brown French cut. It was listed on eBay. I was negotiating with the seller when a dealer swooped in. The dealer then listed it at an eye watering markup. I think about this guy so often it’s ridiculous. I hope to have it recreated someday. I reached out to Gem Concepts about recreating it awhile back but they ignored me. IMG_6988.jpeg

Next up: this 1.8 ct French cut heavy platinum ring from estate diamond jewelry. I didn’t have the funds at the time and was saving up when it sold. I’ve casually thought about recreating it with lab but I can’t seem to bring myself to jump on the lab train. IMG_6989.jpeg

And finally, this brown moval that Alex park sold last year. I didn’t see it until after it sold. I totally would have purchased it.

IMG_6987.jpeg

Wow those are all good ones! Do you recall the mm of the French one? Maybe that one wouldn’t be impossible to recreate with a natural.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those are all good ones! Do you recall the mm of the French one? Maybe that one wouldn’t be impossible to recreate with a natural.

The brown was 1ct and around 5- 5.5 mm if i recall correctly. The larger J color was 1.81 cts so I’m guessing around 6.5-7mm range. I really hope to recreate someday. French cuts above 1 ct seem to be nonexistent.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The brown was 1ct and around 5- 5.5 mm if i recall correctly. The larger J color was 1.81 cts so I’m guessing around 6.5-7mm range. I really hope to recreate someday. French cuts above 1 ct seem to be nonexistent.

You got that lovely brownie for Christmas! I actually like it better than the one you posted now. Good luck on the French cut. I know that’s a toughie.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
French cuts above 1 ct seem to be nonexistent.

Yes, they are very hard to find. When I purchased two .5 ct french cuts from Yoram for a 3 stone, I wanted the center to be at least 1 ct. I couldn't find one and he only had rough to cut one that was .7 cts. So I went with that, but still wish my ring had a larger center.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are very hard to find. When I purchased two .5 ct french cuts from Yoram for a 3 stone, I wanted the center to be at least 1 ct. I couldn't find one and he only had rough to cut one that was .7 cts. So I went with that, but still wish my ring had a larger center.

Can we see that ring?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

yep it’s impossible. I just don’t think they are or ever were in high enough demand for it to make since to cut larger due to the depth (around 90%). Single stone is cutting them and has one that I like but I don’t like the price tag. I don’t value high color so I’d prefer to spend less and find something warmer. I’ve reached out to Yorman twice over the years and never received a response.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
yep it’s impossible. I just don’t think they are or ever were in high enough demand for it to make since to cut larger due to the depth (around 90%). Single stone is cutting them and has one that I like but I don’t like the price tag. I don’t value high color so I’d prefer to spend less and find something warmer. I’ve reached out to Yorman twice over the years and never received a response.

I remember seeing this one and thinking what a unicorn. I have no idea how much it sold for.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve reached out to Yorman twice over the years and never received a response.

How are you trying to reach him? I didn't have any problem with that. Right now given his location, it might be an issue though. It's been several years now, but I believe I first contacted him via his website. And he did occasionally post on PS.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we see that ring?

Of course, here it is. DK made the ring and since the center was smaller than I wanted, I added those little sides for the finger coverage. Yoram was very generous and sent 4 tiny french cuts to DK for me at no extra charge since he wanted me to be happy.
front snip.JPG

Attachments

• side snip.JPG
    side snip.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 12

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, here it is. DK made the ring and since the center was smaller than I wanted, I added those little sides for the finger coverage. Yoram was very generous and sent 4 tiny french cuts to DK for me at no extra charge since he wanted me to be happy.
front snip.JPG

So lovely!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results