shape
carat
color
clarity

Sudden price increase?

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
What happened to sudden price increase?
Since last week, I was looking for the upgrade mainly at Adiamore.
Last week, there was small price increase, so I thought I better hurry.
Finally narrowing down to 4 choices and I decided to go ahead this morning, then price increase happened.
I was looking at around $3700 price range and all diamonds moved up to around $5000.
I am shocked... how the price increase so much over night?
Is this normal? or I am missing something?
Will price goes down again? Should I wait? So frustrating.
So advice needed, thanks everyone

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed that LGD prices are on a bit of a rollercoaster ride lately.

I still have the 2.76 that I bought a month and a half ago in my Ritani wishlist, and they are still showing the increased price from shortly after I bought it (we paid approx $4400).
Supply and demand, plus the upcoming holiday season.

Screenshot_20221025-181301.png

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
I thought there will be special sale going on for holiday, and didn't expect price goes up this fast. Should I wait and see? I am not in hurry anyway.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I thought there will be special sale going on for holiday, and didn't expect price goes up this fast. Should I wait and see? I am not in hurry anyway.

Do you have some examples of diamonds that you were looking at from Adiamor?
Ritani still has decent pricing for many of their LGDs, and we can help offer some price effective options, if you'd like.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
Do you have some examples of diamonds that you were looking at from Adiamor?
Ritani still has decent pricing for many of their LGDs, and we can help offer some price effective options, if you'd like.

I was looking for GCAL 8x 2.2ct to 2.45 ct in G or F VS
something like this

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for GCAL 8x 2.2ct to 2.45 ct in G or F VS
something like this

Found quite a few great candidates to have a peek at!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that today. All the GCAL 8x I have on my wish list went up overnight. Boo

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you watch most websites - department stores, independent stores, etc - a lot of times prices get marked up several weeks before big sale holidays like black friday and then slashed down to prices still above the original price they were at before they were marked up. Always worth following what you're looking to buy long-term to see the patterns.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you see a stone you like and you're ready, get it. People are starting to buy lab stones so demand will see prices increase more and more. Of course you'll always find a bargain here and there but that's usually if you're happy to go down a colour or clarity etc.

Stones are generally exempt from most sales I feel. They may discount settings but rarely the stone.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I've noticed that LGD prices are on a bit of a rollercoaster ride lately.

I still have the 2.76 that I bought a month and a half ago in my Ritani wishlist, and they are still showing the increased price from shortly after I bought it (we paid approx $4400).
Supply and demand, plus the upcoming holiday season.

Naturally there are a lot of things in play, but as a general rule buyers should expect retail prices to creep up in late October and Early November... then when Black Friday (or early Black Friday) rolls around, the retailer plops in a 25% off sale that magically drops prices back to where they were in September.

This basically means if you're shopping in October/November without a sale, you're at risk of over-paying.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I noticed a big jump with pink LGD recently.

What I noticed last year was major price competition beginning around “early Black Friday” and lasting til Christmas. Then after that, prices went up in the beginning of the year and dropped through now. So it might be worth waiting 2-3 weeks.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
I had been watching some lab grown preset pieces at James Allen (tennis bracelets and seven stone band) and they shot up in price overnight the other night, even with the 25% off they are at least $500 more than they were last week. Maybe even $1400 more (I can’t remember what was priced what cause I wanted two diff seizes). I was shocked to see such a large increase in price. It made me sad cause the size I want is no longer attainable at James Allen.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had been watching some lab grown preset pieces at James Allen (tennis bracelets and seven stone band) and they shot up in price overnight the other night, even with the 25% off they are at least $500 more than they were last week. Maybe even $1400 more (I can’t remember what was priced what cause I wanted two diff seizes). I was shocked to see such a large increase in price. It made me sad cause the size I want is no longer attainable at James Allen.

I was shocked too. I went back to look at a couple items, and they'd gone way up. 25% off the current price is now more than the original full price of the pieces I was looking at.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
I think if you see a stone you like and you're ready, get it. People are starting to buy lab stones so demand will see prices increase more and more. Of course you'll always find a bargain here and there but that's usually if you're happy to go down a colour or clarity etc.

Stones are generally exempt from most sales I feel. They may discount settings but rarely the stone.

I totally agree. If I made decision one day earlier....next time I will

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock

I was too! I was thinking get another tennis bracelet, but price went up more than 25%. Now I don't feel like getting one.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
I noticed a big jump with pink LGD recently.

What I noticed last year was major price competition beginning around “early Black Friday” and lasting til Christmas. Then after that, prices went up in the beginning of the year and dropped through now. So it might be worth waiting 2-3 weeks.

I am not in hurry, so I can wait. But DejaWiz's list is very attractive.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It’s also engagement and jewelry buying season so I’d expect higher prices now, sales later around Black Friday, and prices will spike again before Christmas to capitalize on last minute shoppers.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz
thanks for the list!
I like 2.25 GIA one a lot, but when I ran HCA, it score 0.6.
What do you think? Should I ask for ASET image?

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 17.07.39.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz
thanks for the list!
I like 2.25 GIA one a lot, but when I ran HCA, it score 0.6.
What do you think? Should I ask for ASET image?

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 17.07.39.png

Hi, aapple0112.
You're very welcome!
The HCA score is not a worry, due to the overall proportions and angles.
ASET is always recommended, but I think this one will have no issues.

My favorite out of the bunch is probably the 2.34 D VVS2.

Found a GIA graded 2.19 E VVS2 that is worth a look:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Two more options under $2800.

Here's the video for the 2.35 D VS2:

aapple0112, you can see if any of the other diamonds have videos available by replacing the grading report number at the end of the link address.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will price goes down again? Should I wait?

Yes. And yes.

I do not know LGD but prices for luxury goods (think: Rolex and diamonds, etc.) are finally correcting from their wacky COVID + supply-chain highs. We knew that all it would take was a tanking stock market and rising interest rates -- both had to happen and did.

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
Hi, aapple0112.
You're very welcome!
The HCA score is not a worry, due to the overall proportions and angles.
ASET is always recommended, but I think this one will have no issues.

My favorite out of the bunch is probably the 2.34 D VVS2.

Found a GIA graded 2.19 E VVS2 that is worth a look:

wow! 2.19 is so dream! This is hard choice, price is a at higher side.
Question about 2.25ct GIA one, you don’t prefer that one is because clarity? Or any other reason? 2.34 ct one is also very nice but IGI reporot doesn’t show all proportions, and I want really top cut like GCAL 8x standard.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Wonder if the Diwali holiday is affecting prices?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came here to ask the same question regarding price increases. I was looking multiple times last week and noticed much higher prices tonight. Thank you starting this thread @aapple0112.

@DejaWiz, Are you by any chance knowledgeable with oval cuts?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question about 2.25ct GIA one, you don’t prefer that one is because clarity? Or any other reason? 2.34 ct one is also very nice but IGI reporot doesn’t show all proportions, and I want really top cut like GCAL 8x standard.

Which proportions are you referring to that IGI doesn't show--do you mean the LGF and stars percentages?

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
Which proportions are you referring to that IGI doesn't show--do you mean the LGF and stars percentages?

Yes Kim, that what I meant, LGF and stars percentage.
And thanks for finding diamonds for me. But I really love H&A, even I know it won’t impact on overall performance.
My wish is GCLA 8x diamond, if not, at least one very close to it.
this is a hard choice…should I wait or buy it now

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Question about 2.25ct GIA one, you don’t prefer that one is because clarity? Or any other reason? 2.34 ct one is also very nice but IGI report doesn’t show all proportions, and I want really top cut like GCAL 8x standard.

Even though IGI doesn't list LGF and Stars, I can usually make a guess by their appearance in the pictures and videos.

The 2.34 D VVS2 is probably around 78-80 LGF and 50 Stars.
One of the challenges for me is looking at the videos and assessing the girdle to try and see signs of blatant painting and/or digging (that's where an ASET would give irrefutable proof...now that I own one, I advocate that everyone shopping for diamonds also purchase one as a small expense in the grand scheme of things to get ultimate peace of mind), because I'm not sure if that is a consideration for IGI when they assign their Ideal cut grade like GIA does consider it with their 3X cut grade...to an extent.

My *potential* concern with the 2.25 D VS2 would be the amount of tiny inclusions...would they be just fine or are there enough to cause some transparency issues? Hard to say, and I'm usually one to say that even most SI1, even at larger carat weights, are just fine for LGD (especially HPHT) as long as there are no glaringly larger inclusions under the table area or cloudiness/haziness issues that impact transparency.

DejaWiz, Are you by any chance knowledgeable with oval cuts?

Hello, Calliecake!
Unfortunately, I'm not very sufficient with ovals and still learning what key elements to look for in order to find a good oval, so I will defer to others that are adept at it.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results