shape
carat
color
clarity

strmrdrs and diagems asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2009 5:47:07 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 9/24/2009 5:30:25 PM

Author: kenny

Strm and Diagem, if you were to start with this 2.26 ct asscher and turn in into an asscher of your design approximately what would the final weight and dimensions be?

Also, I think all the inclusions are near the bottom of the stone near the skin and near the culet.

So if you polished off there it may yield a VVS1 or IF stone.

Link to stone

way to small and it would be a shame to recut that diamond.

gog has a great trade up policy.

Storm, I see your design has a depth of 76%.
My asscher's depth is 67%.

That means we would retain the depth of my diamond but polish away the 4 sides.
The face up size of my asscher would go down and the inclusions near the culet would most likely remain.

Still, I like your design better than mine.
I've always felt mine looked a little large on me anyway.
Can anyone predict the weight loss?
Would it fall below 2 ct?
Falling below 2 ct would be a substantial financial negative.

Edit:
I ran some numbers.
If my asscher was recut to become a Volcano the absolute depth of 4.96mm would not change but the width would go down from 7.41mm to 6.53 mm.
Of course the depth percentage would increase from 67% to 76%.

Diagem how's your precision? (at least this rock is easier to hold on to.)
Can you assure GIA Ex Ex polish and symmetry?

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 3:08:37 PM
Author: sarap333
Congratulations, again, Karl. This must be so exciting for you!

I join with the others on this forum in wishing you much well-deserved financial success (along with public acclaim) from this endeavor.

I have a couple questions:

1. You said you''ve seen the stone in person; has wifey2b seen it, and if so, what was her reaction (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

2. I''m assuming this stone will be available for purchase in the future (if not, I think a PS riot would ensue!) and I''m wondering how carat size will affect the appearance of this stone. For instance, say someone was interested in a right-hand ring
31.gif
and wanted to set a Volcano stone in a tension setting
6.gif
. Would a smaller, say, under .50 carats, stone show off the features of the Volcano?
Hi Everyone,
I am so proud of Karl, that I do not know how to even be civil lately - lol. I knew when I first started dating Karl that he was a smart man, but I never realized what was still in there just waiting to come out and be revealed.
I have not seen this diamond in person, but I can tell you, when I first saw Rhino''s video on it I was totally stunned, and no one who came into the house was spared in not having to see what my hubby2b could and did do :}:}:}:}:}:} :D
I am going to be one spoiled lady...but it is so hard to put the brakes on a man who is so generous - but I tell him he cannot give me one of each of his creations, because I know there are so many more inside of him, and just having him love me is all I need in life!!!!
Ok, I am getting sappy now, but I want to thank Rhino and DiaGem for all they have done to make my darling''s dream come true!!! I am ever grateful for your support and encouragement to Karl and bringing out the talent he has.
Thank you to all you other PSers also - your kind words and compliments make me so proud - lol - but also know that Karl is so loved by so many people. Thank you all, and I am hoping to see that diamond before the year is out :}:} Not to mention my mind has already been going for pictures of that gorgeous diamond!!! :}

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wifey2b,

That was a stunning posting...Karl is a lucky man himself...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wifey2b, your man is going to be rich.

Marry him quick, before I do.
9.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hello, wifey2b! Your post brought tears to my eyes -- thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the Volcano (yeah, it needs a new name -- "Volcano" is not rolling off the toungue -- sorry, Karl!).

He''s a very lucky guy to have such a supportive fiancee. I''m hoping you can see it soon, and, more important, wear it on your finger. Those will be some eagerly anticipated handshots in SMTR
9.gif
!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 5:58:13 PM
Author: wifey2b

I join with the others on this forum in wishing you much well-deserved financial success (along with public acclaim) from this endeavor.

1. You said you've seen the stone in person; has wifey2b seen it, and if so, what was her reaction (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

2. I'm assuming this stone will be available for purchase in the future (if not, I think a PS riot would ensue!) and I'm wondering how carat size will affect the appearance of this stone. For instance, say someone was interested in a right-hand ring
31.gif
6.gif
. Would a smaller, say, under .50 carats, stone show off the features of the Volcano?
Hi Everyone,
I am so proud of Karl, that I do not know how to even be civil lately - lol. I knew when I first started dating Karl that he was a smart man, but I never realized what was still in there just waiting to come out and be revealed.
I have not seen this diamond in person, but I can tell you, when I first saw Rhino's video on it I was totally stunned, and no one who came into the house was spared in not having to see what my hubby2b could and did do :}:}:}:}:}:} :D
I am going to be one spoiled lady...but it is so hard to put the brakes on a man who is so generous - but I tell him he cannot give me one of each of his creations, because I know there are so many more inside of him, and just having him love me is all I need in life!!!!
Ok, I am getting sappy now, but I want to thank Rhino and DiaGem for all they have done to make my darling's dream come true!!! I am ever grateful for your support and encouragement to Karl and bringing out the talent he has.
Thank you to all you other PSers also - your kind words and compliments make me so proud - lol - but also know that Karl is so loved by so many people. Thank you all, and I am hoping to see that diamond before the year is out :}:} Not to mention my mind has already been going for pictures of that gorgeous diamond!!! :}
You are such a class act K, no wonder he loves you so!!!
2.gif
We are thrilled for you both!!!! I can't wait for you to see it. I am going to get one down the road. I am I am!!! Dana saw it, was floored. Just floored. And was so happy for Karl. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person, that's for sure.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 6:08:44 PM

9.gif

Uh-oh, an occupational hazard associated with being a diamond designer -- marriage proposals!!!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock

9.gif
Well, we have learned not to count our chickens before they hatch, or count our diamonds before they are cut ;} But as for you getting to marry him - giggle - not that I am anything grand, I do have him wrapped around my baby finger - oh yeah - that is the ruby and diamond channel setting that he gave me :} giggle :} See told you all that I am spoiled :}:}:}

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 6:14:24 PM
Author: Kaleigh

1. You said you''ve seen the stone in person; has wifey2b seen it, and if so, what was her reaction (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

2. I''m assuming this stone will be available for purchase in the future (if not, I think a PS riot would ensue!) and I''m wondering how carat size will affect the appearance of this stone. For instance, say someone was interested in a right-hand ring
31.gif
6.gif
Hi Everyone,
I have not seen this diamond in person, but I can tell you, when I first saw Rhino''s video on it I was totally stunned, and no one who came into the house was spared in not having to see what my hubby2b could and did do :}:}:}:}:}:} :D
Ok, I am getting sappy now, but I want to thank Rhino and DiaGem for all they have done to make my darling''s dream come true!!! I am ever grateful for your support and encouragement to Karl and bringing out the talent he has.
2.gif
We are thrilled for you both!!!! I can''t wait for you to see it. I am going to get one down the road. I am I am!!! Dana saw it, was floored. Just floored. And was so happy for Karl. Couldn''t have happened to a nicer person, that''s for sure.
I say that if Dana was floored - yipee - Karl did his job!!! See, I knew he could get to the crowd who are not so tempted by diamonds as some :}:} Thank you Dana - this is the best testimonial of Karl''s new Asscher :}:}:}:} You rock, Darling!!! And personally I couldn''t be prouder to think of you owning one of Karl''s diamonds!!! HUGS - hope you are feeling better Sweetie :}

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2009 6:23:22 PM

9.gif

Well, we have learned not to count our chickens before they hatch, or count our diamonds before they are cut ;} But as for you getting to marry him - giggle - not that I am anything grand, I do have him wrapped around my baby finger - oh yeah - that is the ruby and diamond channel setting that he gave me :} giggle :} See told you all that I am spoiled :}:}:}

Okay okay.
My loss; your gain.
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope this isn''t a crass question, but after reading this thread I am very curious about how the economics of the diamond industry work when you are talking about proprietary cuts like this one... what % of the final sale price of a diamond goes to the cutter? To the designer? I imagine it is something like paying royalties in the music industry where the original writer gets a certain amount each time the song isd played... or maybe that is totally wrong?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am truly SPEECHLESS! Wifey2B-You are a doll! Karl is a lucky man! Karl- AMAZING! I am stunned at the BEAUTY of your creation! CONGRATULATIONS and BEST WISHES for a successful career! I would absolutely love to own one of those stones one day!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 6:27:34 PM

Date: 9/24/2009 6:14:24 PM
Author: Kaleigh

31.gif
6.gif
Hi Everyone,
2.gif
We are thrilled for you both!!!! I can''t wait for you to see it. I am going to get one down the road. I am I am!!! Dana saw it, was floored. Just floored. And was so happy for Karl. Couldn''t have happened to a nicer person, that''s for sure.
I say that if Dana was floored - yipee - Karl did his job!!! See, I knew he could get to the crowd who are not so tempted by diamonds as some :}:} Thank you Dana - this is the best testimonial of Karl''s new Asscher :}:}:}:} You rock, Darling!!! And personally I couldn''t be prouder to think of you owning one of Karl''s diamonds!!! HUGS - hope you are feeling better Sweetie :}
Thanks, you know I want one... Dana said maybe for our 25th wedding anniversary which is only 2 years away... I am thinking that would be the nicest gift ever, and would wear Karls diamond proudly. I am already thinking what size, and how to set it. I am counting my chickens early huh?? But Dana is a good hubby. Again, so proud of Karl. I know the blood sweat and tears that went into this design. Would it work?? I knew it could, I had every faith in him. And KUDOS to Diagem for having the guts to do this and make it a reality...

Diagem, You are one heck of a cutter. Thanks for making this dream come true.
12.gif
I have such admiration for you. You are a class act yourself!!!!
36.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh! That is a spectacular looking stone!! Congratulations to Strm, Diagem, and Rhino!!

GOG has their next smash hit!!

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Congrats and good luck Storm! Instead of "fire," we can call it "eruption" for your new VOLCANO creation! :razz:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

31.gif
6.gif
Hi Everyone,
Hi wifey!
36.gif

At this moment Diagem is in Hong Kong but I am confident he shares my sentiments when I express how much of a blessing it is to share in Karl''s vision, to bring it both to fruition in Diagem''s skilled cutting and to the world in our own special way of demonstrating diamonds with superior optics. You already know how I feel about you and Karl for many years now and to see our prayers realized for you and Karl both personally and professionally is very exciting and we all have much to be thankful for. I thank you kindly for your gratitude and truly it brings me no greater joy than to see Karl''s vision become a huge success, that Lord willing, will reach beyond his expectations. I can tell you after years of critically inspecting Asscher''s for light performance nothing has come before my eyes as I have seen in this Asscher. When Diagem returns we will begin our first production as I am anxious to see the first designs in larger sizes (1ct -2ct+). Karl has mentioned some design modifications with larger diamonds so I am curious to see those but anticipate them with utmost confidence based on what I have seen thus far and Karl''s ability to design.

God bless and good to see you here in this thread.

Warmest regards,
Jonathan

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, strm... that is one stunning stepalicious diamond
30.gif
30.gif

Congrats to both you and Diagem... what an amazing team!!

Wifey2b... what a lucky gal you are!!! Have you thought about how you are going to set it? Or are you leaving that up to Karl?? You know the place for setting ideas! haha

Congrats to strm, diagem, wifey, and GOG! It makes me so happy to hear stories like this, dreams really DO come true, right?
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add my congratulations to you Storm!
36.gif
In my short time on PS I''ve always been amazed by your expertise and willingness to help those less knowledgeable, and think it''s fantastic that you''ve turned your knowledge and love of diamonds to the ultimate expression of creativity!

And wifey2b - what a lovely post - it shows what a lovely lady you are! Congratulations on getting to wear this gorgeous creation!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fascinating stone! I want to see one in person!! Has the name "Firedance" been suggested yet?

1502391nml1gf6xx4.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
This thread made it off to the second page.
38.gif

Nope, back to the top it goes.

I am such a huge Storm fan.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is a very stunning diamond, I would love to see one in real life
30.gif

Gamecock84

Rough_Rock
Karl, I got to say that you have created a beautiful thing. The first time I saw an Asscher diamond was at an estate jewelry sale about 10yrs ago and I thought it was the most intriging and beautiful diamond I had ever seen. Granted it was a 3ct $25k diamond and I was 16yrs old, but I still thought it would be THE diamond I buy for that special someone someday. Problem is there are still a large portion of women out there who are uncomfortable with an Asscher as their first real diamond, especially for their engagement ring. Now before some of you ladies who are Asscher fans jump on me, this has been MY experience. Now I can say with confidence that this "asscher" type diamond would be a perfect match for my sweetheart.....and oh the timing. I have just started looking for a custom setting maker and need to find my centerpiece soon.

PLEASE let us know ASAP when you know you can produce this for sale, whether through GOG or through yourself. I am VERY interested. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Ryan

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 12:52:35 AM
Author: Gamecock84
Problem is there are still a large portion of women out there who are uncomfortable with an Asscher as their first real diamond, especially for their engagement ring.

Huh? I never heard this before.

Round is the most usual diamond shape.
All other shapes are in the minority.

Is there something specific about the asscher that makes women "uncomfortable"?

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!! Gorgeous asscher Storm!! Line me up for one too
35.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2009 1:22:47 AM

Problem is there are still a large portion of women out there who are uncomfortable with an Asscher as their first real diamond, especially for their engagement ring.

It has always been that rounds are the first choice.
in the 80''s pointy stones rose to prominance - marquise, pear and haearts - they might have even taken 1/3rd - but rounds usually command around 1/2 all purchases.
in the last decade p[rincess rose along with a change from yellow to white engagement rings.

step cuts have always been a bit of a quirky desire from often independant self assured women (in my experiance).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm, DiaGem and Rhino - this just goes to show that the new variable that will be introduced into the ''new cut design'' phenonemon is PERSONALITY.

Sergey has envisaged the equivalent of "this seasons new cuts launced on the Paris and Milan cat walks" for at least 6 years that i am aware of. Part of that ''fashion'' value is the person / people behind the product. In the past (and part of De Beers SoC push) was to make the company / brand the personality. I think we are entering a social web 2.0 era where real people and real niches can be the basis of brands. Which won''t stop companies buying personalities (Tom Ford).

I think we are seeing history in the making. I congratulate you all.
I give special mention to Sergey and Yuri for their vision to develop the tool that made it possible.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is one gorgeous stone! Congratulations Strmrdr on your creation....it certainly is a VOLCANO!

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
OH make me one..... :)

Gamecock84

Rough_Rock
Its not the shape of the stone Kenny, its that step cut with the windmill type look in the middle of the stone that has led many of my friends and aquaintances to not pick it for their engagement ring in the past. A more uniform cut like the princess cut, a radiant cut, hearts and arrows, etc have won out. Again this is my experience only. I think Garry hit the nail on the head.....it seems a very independent, non conforming, confident woman looking for something different goes for the Asscher cut for their engagement ring. Out of all my friends, family, and customers I have seen come through a close friend''s jewelry store, only one young woman wanted the Asscher cut for her engagement ring.....out of several dozen before her that I have seen and met.

I think Karl''s cut is more appealing to a larger audience and the light reflection of the cut will have many longing to make this their first diamond.

That''s why I need one for my lady! :)

Ryan

Date: 9/26/2009 1:22:47 AM

Is there something specific about the asscher that makes women ''uncomfortable''?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 1:45:30 PM
Its not the shape of the stone Kenny, its that step cut with the windmill type look in the middle of the stone that has led many of my friends and aquaintances to not pick it for their engagement ring in the past. A more uniform cut like the princess cut, a radiant cut, hearts and arrows, etc have won out. Again this is my experience only. I think Garry hit the nail on the head.....it seems a very independent, non conforming, confident woman looking for something different goes for the Asscher cut for their engagement ring. Out of all my friends, family, and customers I have seen come through a close friend''s jewelry store, only one young woman wanted the Asscher cut for her engagement ring.....out of several dozen before her that I have seen and met.

I think Karl''s cut is more appealing to a larger audience and the light reflection of the cut will have many longing to make this their first diamond.

That''s why I need one for my lady! :)

Ryan
Interesting take on it.
A lot of people don''t know they exist is another reason.
Some people want to blend in some want to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results