shape
carat
color
clarity

Stop the INSANITY!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 1:35:35 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 8/21/2006 1:29:05 PM
Author: Rod

Ira......I didn''t think I was whining. My point was simple. My stone would not appeal to some on PS because the specs are not ideal. I didn''t know until long after I purchased my stone that it scored a 1.2 on the HCA. My rock was originally graded by GIA before the new grading reports. I didn''t get a sarin on my stone. I never saw an Ideal Scope. I just bought a stone, which to my eyes was fantastic in all sorts of light and was one I could afford.
Rod, I don''t think you''re being whiny.
9.gif

Thanks for sharing this, because I think this is a perfect example of how different people have different styles. You bought without any of tools that I like to have when I buy.....and you did so COMFORTABLY. Bravo!

If that''s a comfortable way for you to buy, then you absolutely should do it. And if my way is comfortable for me, I should be able to do that. One size does not fit all, so no one should have to be comfortable with someone else''s buying criteria.
Thanks for your support Alj........I find your knowledge and the help you offer people who are seeking advice very kind, thoughtfull and knowledgeable.
36.gif

I do want to offer that I have been guilty of being more ''super-douper louper'' since I''ve learned so much over the last year. And I feel I really need to keep that in balance. Funny how knowlege can be a good and bad thing. From someone like myself who is no expert by any stretch of the imagination, who am I to tell anyone that the stone they''ve fallen in love with is not good enough? I wrestle with this component of the help we offer people everyday on PS.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 12:53:40 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 12:26:27 PM
Author: Pricescope

Someone asked in this thread ''What''s right?'' For me it''s ''To have a right to have the right amount of info to make a right decision for each individual.''

AMEN...!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people need more info to feel confident in their choice, and some people need less. No one individual should have to adapt his/her style to fit someone''s definition of what''s enough and what''s too much.
9.gif
If someone asks me should I buy this diamond then I need enough info that I''m comfortable saying yes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 1:12:44 PM
Author: widget
.....but is there ''balance'' on this site?

I''ve always had the sense that just about everyone is totally into ''super ideal, H&A, AGS graded stones, and that touting any virtues of 60/60s is close to blasphemy!

Am I wrong?

widget
Nope not wrong but part of that is in my opinion super-ideals are safer to buy unseen than other diamonds.
And the most trusted vendors here play in the super-ideal sand box.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 1:26:42 PM
There are tons of you who like buying with less info and buying stones that are beautiful but non-ideal-conforming....you, Deco, F&I, Rod, etc. But the only one I ever see participating in those threads trying to bring the balance is Rod. If more of you offered your insights when people came asking about ''how do I find a great diamond, etc. etc.'', it would be more balanced.

As I said above, I DO participate when I have the stomach for it ... when I don''t feel like it''s "gang up on the non-ideals day". HOWEVER ... those with "science" in their court **seem** to have the established upper-hand around here -- either from vehemence or outspokenness or sheer # of like-minded number-nuts.

And the very act of advocating "less than ideal" stones as good purchases brings YOUR OWN stone into question EVERY TIME. Some days I can take it ... some days I just don''t want to run the superiority complex gauntlet of Idealsters.

STAND UP NON-IDEAL STONE LOVERS & BE COUNTED!!! (looking disapprovingly at the suckers who dared to go off the reservation -- I MEAN -- did I say disapprovingly? I meant "lovingly"
31.gif
)

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 1:52:55 PM
Author: decodelighted

There are tons of you who like buying with less info and buying stones that are beautiful but non-ideal-conforming....you, Deco, F&I, Rod, etc. But the only one I ever see participating in those threads trying to bring the balance is Rod. If more of you offered your insights when people came asking about ''how do I find a great diamond, etc. etc.'', it would be more balanced.

As I said above, I DO participate when I have the stomach for it ... when I don''t feel like it''s ''gang up on the non-ideals day''. HOWEVER ... those with ''science'' in their court **seem** to have the established upper-hand around here -- either from vehemence or outspokenness or sheer # of like-minded number-nuts.

And the very act of advocating ''less than ideal'' stones as good purchases brings YOUR OWN stone into question EVERY TIME. Some days I can take it ... some days I just don''t want to run the superiority complex gauntlet of Idealsters.

STAND UP NON-IDEAL STONE LOVERS & BE COUNTED!!! (looking disapprovingly at the suckers who dared to go off the reservation -- I MEAN -- did I say disapprovingly? I meant ''lovingly''
31.gif
)
HELLO.......MY NAME IS ROD AND I BOUGHT A NON IDEAL ROUND DIAMOND!!!!
9.gif

Just for the record. I truly LOVE all of you. That includes you too Ira!!!! I love how the vendors let us children loose in the candy store and unlike another (unamed diamond) forum, we don''t get blasted when we don''t support someone''s view. I love how much everyone cares, even when we don''t agree with each other. I love that this forum does offer a person the ability to see a balanced response. But, I also understand and can most definitely relate to deco''s feeling about the perfection minded. Still, where would we be if not for people like Alj, Belle and Storm (just to name a few). They''ve spent so much time perfecting their diamond knowledge that I marvel at their ability to discern the differences between two seemingly nice stones. But more importantly, their complete willingness to stand out there and help people choose the "best" they can get and to take the heat when not everyone agrees says a lot about their contribution on PS.

I say, everyone''s a terrific resource here. I am blessed to be able to stick my toes in the same pond with all of you.

Your friend.........

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

As I said above, I DO participate when I have the stomach for it ... when I don''t feel like it''s ''gang up on the non-ideals day''. HOWEVER ... those with ''science'' in their court **seem** to have the established upper-hand around here -- either from vehemence or outspokenness or sheer # of like-minded number-nuts.

And the very act of advocating ''less than ideal'' stones as good purchases brings YOUR OWN stone into question EVERY TIME. Some days I can take it ... some days I just don''t want to run the superiority complex gauntlet of Idealsters.

STAND UP NON-IDEAL STONE LOVERS & BE COUNTED!!! (looking disapprovingly at the suckers who dared to go off the reservation -- I MEAN -- did I say disapprovingly? I meant ''lovingly''
31.gif
)
I hear that, Deco, and I''m not saying that anyone is obligated to carry the torch....not by any means. Some people have the stamina for it, and some don''t.
But I guess I am saying that if you decide you don''t want to carry the torch, it''s not then fair to call for "stop the insanity"....i.e. now the cut-freak side should stop giving input in the name of balance because you don''t want to provide the other perspective.

I have to honestly say that I don''t think "idealsters" have a superiority complex. They like what they like....big deal.
1.gif
You like what YOU like. I really don''t think that one view is better than the other.

I just don''t see where everyone has this "in the minority" issue. For goodness sake, I can''t think of any more prevalent theme on PS than *upgrading*. Bigger is better, right? I''m one of the few people (it seems) who doesn''t want bigger. I can appreciate Mara''s desire for a big rock, but it doesn''t compel me to want one too, and it doesn''t give me an "inferiority complex" that so many people here seem focused on size.

People can''t make you feel inferior if you don''t let them.
9.gif
31.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 1:41:42 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 1:34:34 PM
Author: devientdrow

I think people who aren''t super douper louper types TRY and put their .02 in but really it''s fruitless. I know there have been a few posts before where I try and and put something in there and it really just doesn''t matter when after I put something in about not disregarding a stone completly it''s followed up but 10 posts of people saying just the opposite. Maybe that sounds like I would be giving up or not trying my best to promote balance, but really I come on here to read about and admire diamonds, relax and enjoy myself. So I for the most part, don''t even try anymore.
I guess I don''t understand that. It''s fruitless why? Because you''re in the minority of opinions? Why is it fruitless because ten other people say the opposite?
Those ten people don''t negate your opinion.....it''s still valid on its own.

Look, I''m clearly in the minority opinion in this discussion, and it doesn''t stop me from sharing my less-popular viewpoint.

I can also appreciate that some folks get tired of trying to promote balance, but if that''s true, then I feel like you can''t complain about the lack of it. If you want balance, do something to make it happen. Balance doesn''t mean an equal number of opinions on either side - it''s not a tug-of-war, and it''s not a popularity contest.

If your opinion is ''follow the eye'' and ten others say ''follow the paper'', your opinion might be the only one that resonates to someone asking.
9.gif
It''s fruitless, because more often than not I find it aggravating and thats not why I come on here. I know even though my opinion would be different it would still be valid but when I post something, then 10 people negate it, then I post again reexplaining....then it gets negated ....and it goes on....and on...and on...and I think eventually it takes away from the actual first question being asked! And it''s irritating. I usually just PM the person if I think my opinion can help i''ll make sure it gets to them.

I was never really complaining about anything. Only sharing my opinion which was understanding where F & I was coming from. It really doesn''t affect me when there isn''t balance, I know enough myself to not get thrown one way or an another. It''s just a shame some newbies may not fully understand whats important and whats not.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:08:51 PM

9.gif

Just for the record. I truly LOVE all of you. That includes you too Ira!!!! I love how the vendors let us children loose in the candy store and unlike another (unamed diamond) forum, we don''t get blasted when we don''t support someone''s view. I love how much everyone cares, even when we don''t agree with each other. I love that this forum does offer a person the ability to see a balanced response. But, I also understand and can most definitely relate to deco''s feeling about the perfection minded. Still, where would we be if not for people like Alj, Belle and Storm (just to name a few). They''ve spent so much time perfecting their diamond knowledge that I marvel at their ability to discern the differences between two seemingly nice stones. But more importantly, their complete willingness to stand out there and help people choose the ''best'' they can get and to take the heat when not everyone agrees says a lot about their contribution on PS.

I say, everyone''s a terrific resource here. I am blessed to be able to stick my toes in the same pond with all of you.

Your friend.........
HI ROD........WELCOME!
9.gif
31.gif
(absolutely laughing my head off......) This is just perfect.

Same here. I respect that you''re willing to put your perspective forward, and I appreciate it.
36.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:09:28 PM

31.gif
)
I hear that, Deco, and I''m not saying that anyone is obligated to carry the torch....not by any means. Some people have the stamina for it, and some don''t.
But I guess I am saying that if you decide you don''t want to carry the torch, it''s not then fair to call for ''stop the insanity''....i.e. now the cut-freak side should stop giving input in the name of balance because you don''t want to provide the other perspective.

I have to honestly say that I don''t think ''idealsters'' have a superiority complex. They like what they like....big deal.
1.gif
You like what YOU like. I really don''t think that one view is better than the other.

I just don''t see where everyone has this ''in the minority'' issue. For goodness sake, I can''t think of any more prevalent theme on PS than *upgrading*. Bigger is better, right? I''m one of the few people (it seems) who doesn''t want bigger. I can appreciate Mara''s desire for a big rock, but it doesn''t compel me to want one too, and it doesn''t give me an ''inferiority complex'' that so many people here seem focused on size.

People can''t make you feel inferior if you don''t let them.
9.gif
31.gif
Ahhh Aljdewey...Deco said what I was TRYING to get across sooooooooooooooo much better than I did :)

mia15

Shiny_Rock
My name is Emeraldlover and I am a non-Ideal lover (most of the time).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:15:57 PM
Author: emeraldlover
My name is Emeraldlover and I am a non-Ideal lover (most of the time).
YAY - hehehehe. Welcome, EL.

Gotta say, too, that I think it''s tough to be a fancy lover around these parts, but I respect those who know what they like (non-round stones).
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:08:51 PM

31.gif
)
9.gif

Just for the record. I truly LOVE all of you. That includes you too Ira!!!! I love how the vendors let us children loose in the candy store and unlike another (unamed diamond) forum, we don''t get blasted when we don''t support someone''s view. I love how much everyone cares, even when we don''t agree with each other. I love that this forum does offer a person the ability to see a balanced response. But, I also understand and can most definitely relate to deco''s feeling about the perfection minded. Still, where would we be if not for people like Alj, Belle and Storm (just to name a few). They''ve spent so much time perfecting their diamond knowledge that I marvel at their ability to discern the differences between two seemingly nice stones. But more importantly, their complete willingness to stand out there and help people choose the ''best'' they can get and to take the heat when not everyone agrees says a lot about their contribution on PS.

Your friend.........
*gathering courage, standing*

My name''s Ellen, and while I bought a stone with ideal numbers, it''s got a *gasp* 41 PA. Yes, I went where most won''t go, and I would put my stone up against one with the most superest, duperest numbers any day.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:12:58 PM

Ahhh Aljdewey...Deco said what I was TRYING to get across sooooooooooooooo much better than I did :)
As I replied to her, I don't get that vibe, though. I don't get the whole superiority thing at all.

For my part, my appreciation for really top-make stones doesn't mean I look down on people whose preferences differ. Maybe I could frame it this way......

I don't think other people who like D stones think they are superior to me because I wear an H. I don't think that other people who prefer VVS stones feel superior to me because I'm okay with SI2.

I don't think that someone saying they want a "mind-clean" stone is a knock to me (as though I can't appreciate "MIND-clean"). And I don't think that people with 2 and 3 ct. rocks here feel superior to me because I have a 1.25 stone.

Why does someone else appreciating a better grade, a better make, a better color, etc. come off as feeling "superior" just because he/she prefers something else?

People can't make you feel inferior if you don't let them. If you feel secure in your preferences, then you shouldn't feel looked down upon. You shouldn't make apologies for what you like, and you shouldn't have to feel inferior because someone likes something else.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:23:05 PM
Author: Ellen

My name''s Ellen, and while I bought a stone with ideal numbers, it''s got a *gasp* 41 PA. Yes, I went where most won''t go, and I would put my stone up against one with the most superest, duperest numbers any day.
2.gif
Here''s the only question that matters, Ellen? Do you love your stone? (sounds like you do).

That''s ALL that matters.
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:28:09 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 2:23:05 PM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
Here''s the only question that matters, Ellen? Do you love your stone? (sounds like you do).

That''s ALL that matters.
36.gif
Do I love it? Let me count the ways...
2.gif

I''m actually going to be doing a thread on it this week, finally. Maybe I''ll make some converts.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:26:52 PM
People can''t make you feel inferior if you don''t let them. If you feel secure in your preferences, then you shouldn''t feel looked down upon.
I agree 100% IN PRINCIPAL ... but it takes a hearty soul to be a mutt-lover at the Westminster Kennel Club day in and day out. Some days I''m heartier than others. But EVERY day I love my "mutt".

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:10:41 PM

I usually just PM the person if I think my opinion can help i''ll make sure it gets to them.
I think that was a great option when PMs existed, but now, the actual forums are all a new person has to reference when trying to get help.

mia15

Shiny_Rock
I suppose what we aren''t, though, is a very "educational" group.

I think decodelighted''s asscher is ravishingly pretty, but my saying "man, look how pretty that asscher is" doesn''t exactly arm a consumer with facts toward a future purchase.

That''s okay, though! Even when I know a lot about a subject (not this one) I''ve never been a teacher type, and I''m grateful for all those out there who take the time to explain kindly why they think something is ideal. I love being able to listen in, though basically, I''m over in the corner, blissfully admiring my imperfect diamond.
2.gif

(Sits down).

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 2:39:16 PM
Author: emeraldlover
I suppose what we aren't, though, is a very 'educational' group.

I think decodelighted's asscher is ravishingly pretty, but my saying 'man, look how pretty that asscher is' doesn't exactly arm a consumer with facts toward a future purchase.

That's okay, though! Even when I know a lot about a subject (not this one) I've never been a teacher type, and I'm grateful for all those out there who take the time to explain kindly why they think something is ideal. I love being able to listen in, though basically, I'm over in the corner, blissfully admiring my imperfect diamond.
2.gif

(Sits down).
That makes two of us
28.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:37:41 PM

I agree 100% IN PRINCIPAL ... but it takes a hearty soul to be a mutt-lover at the Westminster Kennel Club day in and day out. Some days I'm heartier than others. But EVERY day I love my 'mutt'.
HAHAHA - ROTFLMAO! Deco, that's BEAUTIFUL......love your SOH.

I hear ya....but c'mon. What would one expect when you come on a diamond site that values cut?
2.gif

I know what you mean, though......late last year, hubby and I were considering purchasing an HDTV. He researched, blah, blah, blah....was feeling reasonably confident about which one we would select....AND THEN he stumbled upon a few electronics forums. OH MY LORD......the trauma!

All kinds of uber-electronics, hair-splitting, decibel-loving, pixel-worshipping zealots offered opinions that seemed to suggest to Rich that perhaps we weren't making the right choice.

What did we do? We reviewed all the data to make sure we satisfied the "mind-clean" part of it....and then we went to the store with our narrowed list of candidates and picked the one with the picture that we thought looked the best.

We got it home, and with much trepidation, Rich plugged it in. After all, everyone said how it wouldn't look as good at home on the non HD channels, wouldn't be bright enough, blah blah, wouldn't look as good as it did in the store (is ANY of this sounding familiar??
11.gif
31.gif
)

Guess what? Picture's BEAUTIFUL.....we couldn't be happier. Does that mean I think the zealots for perfection didn't have merit? No....for them, they needed to satisfy their "techni-freak" sides. I appreciated the access to their viewpoints and their knowledge, and I learned a lot from them.....but I didn't feel that obligated me to alter my buying criteria to fit their liking.

That's kinda how I feel about PS.....I don't think that access to various opinions obligates any buyer to alter his own buying criteria. As a buyer, I'd rather have all the information presented and decide what *I* think is important instead of having someone else determine what I should think is important (or not).

Oh.......and I don't feel the slightest sense of inferiority to the pixel-zealots, either. Happy with my choice and know it was the right one for me.
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:26:52 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 2:12:58 PM

As I replied to her, I don''t get that vibe, though. I don''t get the whole superiority thing at all.
Actually, in thinking about this a bit, I can understand especially in Deco''s case why there might be feelings of "superiority".....and I think it''s a choice of words thing.

It''s one thing for someone to say "I''d prefer this or that", but I can agree that calling something Al-worthy or Storm-worthy might give the implication that something outside of that isn''t as good. (No disrespect to Storm on this....I think someone else coined the storm-worthy thing, and it just stuck.)

For myself, I try to stay away from the "worthy" thing. I''m happy to say "I personally wouldn''t prefer X, but that doesn''t mean it''s bad. It''s a preference thing - like vanilla or chocolate. Only you can decide what you prefer."

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2006 2:48:32 PM

I agree 100% IN PRINCIPAL ... but it takes a hearty soul to be a mutt-lover at the Westminster Kennel Club day in and day out. Some days I'm heartier than others. But EVERY day I love my 'mutt'.
HAHAHA - ROTFLMAO! Deco, that's BEAUTIFUL......love your SOH.

I hear ya....but c'mon. What would one expect when you come on a diamond site that values cut?
2.gif

I know what you mean, though......late last year, hubby and I were considering purchasing an HDTV. He researched, blah, blah, blah....was feeling reasonably confident about which one we would select....AND THEN he stumbled upon a few electronics forums. OH MY LORD......the trauma!

All kinds of uber-electronics, hair-splitting, decibel-loving, pixel-worshipping zealots offered opinions that seemed to suggest to Rich that perhaps we weren't making the right choice.

What did we do? We reviewed all the data to make sure we satisfied the 'mind-clean' part of it....and then we went to the store with our narrowed list of candidates and picked the one with the picture that we thought looked the best.

We got it home, and with much trepidation, Rich plugged it in. After all, everyone said how it wouldn't look as good at home on the non HD channels, wouldn't be bright enough, blah blah, wouldn't look as good as it did in the store (is ANY of this sounding familiar??
11.gif
31.gif
)

Guess what? Picture's BEAUTIFUL.....we couldn't be happier. Does that mean I think the zealots for perfection didn't have merit? No....for them, they needed to satisfy their 'techni-freak' sides. I appreciated the access to their viewpoints and their knowledge, and I learned a lot from them.....but I didn't feel that obligated me to alter my buying criteria to fit their liking.

That's kinda how I feel about PS.....I don't think that access to various opinions obligates any buyer to alter his own buying criteria. As a buyer, I'd rather have all the information presented and decide what *I* think is important instead of having someone else determine what I should think is important (or not).

Oh.......and I don't feel the slightest sense of inferiority to the pixel-zealots, either. Happy with my choice and know it was the right one for me.
9.gif
Wonderful analogy Alj........As someone who just invested $25K in our new home theatre system for our new home, this really hit home. At the last second, even though the 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma was the choice of the minute, along came 1080P and Hi Def DVD and a wrench was thrown in the entire picture (pun intended). There's no avenue that more aptly demonstrates the value of dimishing returns than consumer electronics. In the end, I decided the premium over 720P versus the outrageously priced 1080P didn't yield a tangible enough benefit (besides no one broadcasts the higher lines of resolution, so why pay for something you're not likely to see (?), but there was a tangible and not so overly higher cost benefit of HD DVD, so I got that.

I think the reason so many people come to PS for advice after they've made a decision is they (like I was when I bought my stone) are looking for a pat on the back. Many people find their stone before they find PS. That's when fear and trepidation sets in. Armed with "Oh My God......I'm about to spend Umpteen Thousand Dollars, did I do OK?," they start reading everything they can on the subject, stumble on PS and ask the "Is this a good buy?" question. What they're really hoping for is for everyone to simply rave about the diamond they have selected. They hope the "experts" will wax enthusiastically about the astute buying decision they're about to make. Some people become offended when we don't drool over the diamond. Other's become immersed in self doubt. And sometimes they change their mind and we add more confusion and fear in their heart. While other's will go ahead and buy the "less than ideal" stone and decide we're just a bunch of Diamond Snobs!! Ha......fancy thinking we're snobs...........
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being I have had the same wedding ring for 25 years, all I can say is Holy Moley. When DH and I first picked it out, we weren''t aware of specks, colo,r etc.

All we did was look at them, try them on and say, "we love THAT one, we will take it" LOL. I have to add though, my marquise does sparkle and I do get tons of complements on it.

Linda

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/20/2006 5:23:00 PM

No matter how romantic anyones views on this thread are I don''t think anyone is saying just eyeball them and go from there. Although if thats what someone wanted to do, and it made them happy then so be it!
That is exactly how most of my in house client''s buy diamonds. I show them the ASET image and explain it, but I do not remember more than one or two ever asking me for any numbers. My in house clients just want to see the stone, trust me that it is as good as their eyes say it is and go forth to be happy.

On line is a totally different situation. Since you can not see the diamond, except for pictures which do NOT tell the story that your eyes do, I think it natural to want the numbers. Of course, if you do not have the right and expensive software to plug the numbers in to, then they do you little good for major nit picking, but they do tell you when a stone should be a knockout.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/20/2006 7:54:32 PM
Author: fire&iceI LOVE blue fluor. Instead of dissing it, the Cap''t said that someone told him that perfect ''ideal'' diamonds couldn''t come from fluor rough. Made sense. Still didn''t care -
2.gif
To me - a perpective not a rule. What outways the other? Personal.
9.gif
I am curious where this came from, I have never heard such a thing. Why would fluorescence have any bearing on whether or not a diamond could be cut to ideal cut grade?

Wink

widget

Ideal_Rock
... but it takes a hearty soul to be a mutt-lover at the Westminster Kennel Club day in and day out.
LOL....Deco, how true!!!

(The truth is, I''d have less trouble bragging about Li''l Widget at Westminster than I would about a 60/60 RB around here...
1.gif
)

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the bottom line is that anyone coming on here asking for advice or similar is going to get one thing and one thing only. people''s opinions. opinions on what they''d buy, what they wouldnt'' buy, what they like, what they don''t like, what their eye sees, what they can''t see with their eye. etc. it''s soooo personal. i don''t think that saying one thing or another is wrong in any way, shape or form. and if people come on here to ask the question, they should be prepared for honest responses and answers.

quite frankly, back when we were buying our first stone, there was not the same quality of participation on these forums as there is now. i asked the Q about the stone and i got garry''s response, leonid''s response and maybe one or two other people who owned one or two diamonds, and their responses were vague. the forum was tiny back then. we went forward anyway and it was a mistake. maybe if i had had 10-15 people going NO NO, pass on that stone!!! in an honest and forthright manner and then giving me information on WHY we would want to pass on it (more than just one or two people)...it might have made a difference. while leonid and garry''s responses were valuable to me, i felt like i obviously knew better. when that wasn''t the case. maybe people going LOOK you asked for our advice and now you are about not to listen would have rung a bell or something for me.

so now when people come on here, i try to be as honest and forthright and strongly opinionated on how i feel. because having been there and done that with a not so great stone, and now having rectified my mistakes and now a convert to ideal-world and having SEEN the differences....i really want to be sure that people get the help they need, or opinions, and even if it''s not what they want to hear or someone disagrees...GREAT. to me, more spirited discussion or education or whatever is better than nothing or better than someone *just* going ''well if it looks good to your eye then get it''. in the end PS''ers are happy for people when they are happy....and i figure the more information to make an educated decision the better. i have managed to get some spectacular stones by using virtual #''s and my own eyes (and just the #''s and brian''s eyes when necessary) and have been happy with THAT particular balance for me.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I think the whole number thing is helpful in one way as far as being a guideline but daunting to most of us who really don''t have a clue as to the science behind it. I bought a AGSO (ACA) from Whiteflash and had it looked at by an independent appraiser (Rockdoc) and it is now off being set by Maytal Hoftman. I haven''t even seen the stone yet but trusted my appraiser and Maytal who said it''s a beautiful stone. The funny thing is AFTER I had already bought it and Maytal had it, I happened to notice that it has a ca of 35.1. I hadn''t paid that close attention before I guess since it''s an ACA and I just figured it would be awesome and I was trying to input a whole bunch of info. all at once. But I started worrying about that number a lot and ended up emailing Bill with my fears and he explained to me why it IS a great stone. I had thought I''d almost be afraid to post a picture and the specs eventually, because I figured there''d be someone on here thinking "That number is NOT my favorite". I''ve seen that happen a lot where people say that when a poster comes on here asking for an opinion. This is such a great forum though and I have learned so much even though I feel like I''ve barely scratched the surface. I do think the numbers just can''t tell the whole story.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 3:44:47 PM
Author: Wink

Date: 8/20/2006 7:54:32 PM
Author: fire&iceI LOVE blue fluor. Instead of dissing it, the Cap''t said that someone told him that perfect ''ideal'' diamonds couldn''t come from fluor rough. Made sense. Still didn''t care -
2.gif
To me - a perpective not a rule. What outways the other? Personal.
9.gif
I am curious where this came from, I have never heard such a thing. Why would fluorescence have any bearing on whether or not a diamond could be cut to ideal cut grade?

Wink
I had forgotten this discussion.

F&I''s recollection is not quite correct. What I was told by this person (whom I will not name, for discretion''s sake, but I suspect his name would be familiar to many as he''s an authority on diamond cutting), was that a diamond with strong fluorescence will never have the same brilliance, fire, etc., as a diamond with no fluorescence, even if both are cut to identical ideal proportions.

I''m not sure I agree with this, but he presumably has his reasons for this opinion, and he''s got more experience with diamonds than I ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results