shape
carat
color
clarity

Stop the INSANITY!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/22/2006 3:52:43 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 8/21/2006 9:57:29 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 8/21/2006 7:24:18 PM
Author: belle
no ira, that doesn''t help!

we''re talking these drumsticks http://images.google.com/images?q=ice%20cream%20drumstick&sa=N&tab=wi

18.gif

of course, i don''t know where deco''s ''drumsTUCK''s come from!
32.gif

i''m afraid to know.
Dramastick
9.gif
PS is that culet ''pointed'' or ''none''? :D
Mine usually just end up soggy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 3:54:48 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 8/22/2006 3:52:43 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 8/21/2006 9:57:29 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 8/21/2006 7:24:18 PM
Author: belle
no ira, that doesn''t help!

we''re talking these drumsticks http://images.google.com/images?q=ice%20cream%20drumstick&sa=N&tab=wi

18.gif

of course, i don''t know where deco''s ''drumsTUCK''s come from!
32.gif

i''m afraid to know.
Dramastick
9.gif
PS is that culet ''pointed'' or ''none''? :D
Mine usually just end up soggy
I dunno about in AU but here now they put a wad of chocolate down in the end to keep it from getting drippy - I think it''s now the best part LOL

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just reading through this thread ...

Date: 8/21/2006 4:06:11 PM
Author: fire&ice

Date: 8/21/2006 1:41:42 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 8/21/2006 1:34:34 PM
Author: devientdrow

I think people who aren''t super douper louper types TRY and put their .02 in but really it''s fruitless. I know there have been a few posts before where I try and and put something in there and it really just doesn''t matter when after I put something in about not disregarding a stone completly it''s followed up but 10 posts of people saying just the opposite. Maybe that sounds like I would be giving up or not trying my best to promote balance, but really I come on here to read about and admire diamonds, relax and enjoy myself. So I for the most part, don''t even try anymore.
I guess I don''t understand that. It''s fruitless why? Because you''re in the minority of opinions? Why is it fruitless because ten other people say the opposite?
Those ten people don''t negate your opinion.....it''s still valid on its own.

Look, I''m clearly in the minority opinion in this discussion, and it doesn''t stop me from sharing my less-popular viewpoint.

I can also appreciate that some folks get tired of trying to promote balance, but if that''s true, then I feel like you can''t complain about the lack of it. If you want balance, do something to make it happen. Balance doesn''t mean an equal number of opinions on either side - it''s not a tug-of-war, and it''s not a popularity contest.

If your opinion is ''follow the eye'' and ten others say ''follow the paper'', your opinion might be the only one that resonates to someone asking.
9.gif
But, what devientrow said actually is why I started this thread. You know I''m not afraid to post a stone just outside of ideal. I''m not afraid to endorse a stone as a possibility. I''m not afraid to post a stone that doesn''t have all the numbers because what GIA had before was plenty to go on and get started. Heck, I would even recommend EGL or IGI stones (both having (IGI sporatic) crown & pav information). But, when I recommended a stone within budget, within the selected vendors inventory that only got a vg/g - literally someone said I proposed it in ''jest''. Something has gone awry.

There are lots of stones that fit people''s criteria. Often, the slight difference in visual optics doesn''t equate to the premium that super duper loupers have.

Too add to that sentiment - some may feel optimum light return could be consrued by their eye as ''chaotic''. I know I feel that way when I look at the Leo stone - more facets for more optics. Maybe not apples to apples - but certainly worth consideration.

Al, I doubt whether you are in the minority reading this thread. You are just bold enough to defend your stance - which is VERY VALID for *you*. I''m sure there are many that won''t post their view here for the very reason why ''we'' the collective un number/super loupers supporters don''t post often in the other threads. Just a perspective.
devient and F&I ... I read the other thread that Ira linked to which caused this one. Just wanted to share that I totally sympathize with the *why''s* behind your reasonings. devient ... what you had written expresses my exact sentiments lately. I felt you had taken the words right out of my mouth.

Peace,

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 11:23:34 AM
Author: Rhino
Just reading through this thread ...

Date: 8/21/2006 4:06:11 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 1:41:42 PM

Date: 8/21/2006 1:34:34 PM
Author: devientdrow

I think people who aren''t super douper louper types TRY and put their .02 in but really it''s fruitless. I know there have been a few posts before where I try and and put something in there and it really just doesn''t matter when after I put something in about not disregarding a stone completly it''s followed up but 10 posts of people saying just the opposite. Maybe that sounds like I would be giving up or not trying my best to promote balance, but really I come on here to read about and admire diamonds, relax and enjoy myself. So I for the most part, don''t even try anymore.
I guess I don''t understand that. It''s fruitless why? Because you''re in the minority of opinions? Why is it fruitless because ten other people say the opposite?
Those ten people don''t negate your opinion.....it''s still valid on its own.

Look, I''m clearly in the minority opinion in this discussion, and it doesn''t stop me from sharing my less-popular viewpoint.

I can also appreciate that some folks get tired of trying to promote balance, but if that''s true, then I feel like you can''t complain about the lack of it. If you want balance, do something to make it happen. Balance doesn''t mean an equal number of opinions on either side - it''s not a tug-of-war, and it''s not a popularity contest.

If your opinion is ''follow the eye'' and ten others say ''follow the paper'', your opinion might be the only one that resonates to someone asking.
9.gif
But, what devientrow said actually is why I started this thread. You know I''m not afraid to post a stone just outside of ideal. I''m not afraid to endorse a stone as a possibility. I''m not afraid to post a stone that doesn''t have all the numbers because what GIA had before was plenty to go on and get started. Heck, I would even recommend EGL or IGI stones (both having (IGI sporatic) crown & pav information). But, when I recommended a stone within budget, within the selected vendors inventory that only got a vg/g - literally someone said I proposed it in ''jest''. Something has gone awry.

There are lots of stones that fit people''s criteria. Often, the slight difference in visual optics doesn''t equate to the premium that super duper loupers have.

Too add to that sentiment - some may feel optimum light return could be consrued by their eye as ''chaotic''. I know I feel that way when I look at the Leo stone - more facets for more optics. Maybe not apples to apples - but certainly worth consideration.

Al, I doubt whether you are in the minority reading this thread. You are just bold enough to defend your stance - which is VERY VALID for *you*. I''m sure there are many that won''t post their view here for the very reason why ''we'' the collective un number/super loupers supporters don''t post often in the other threads. Just a perspective.
devient and F&I ... I read the other thread that Ira linked to which caused this one. Just wanted to share that I totally sympathize with the *why''s* behind your reasonings. devient ... what you had written expresses my exact sentiments lately. I felt you had taken the words right out of my mouth.

Peace,
It''s good to know someone does! hahaha
41.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 1:28:09 PM
Beauty cuts could be different for different people( Like different beauty cars). No problem. Beauty is not Ideal.
Cutters can copy different beauty diamonds.
This is the one post that I keep thinking about. I agree that Beautiful cuts could be different for different people.

What''s making me wonder - how can cutters copy beautiful/ideal diamonds? Are they using a computer model & the cutter cuts to those specifications? Is human error so small that the subtle differences would not be a contributing factor. Or are they using a Lazer to cut the stones? I asked this question before & never received an answer.

Also, am I on the wrong track to think that rough (being grown & not manufactured) would have it''s own set of characteristic that would lend itself not to xyz copied specifications. Or do they evaluate the rough & then determine what specifications there model would think is best.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/22/2006 6:03:44 PM
Author: fire&iceWhat''s making me wonder - how can cutters copy beautiful/ideal diamonds? Are they using a computer model & the cutter cuts to those specifications? Is human error so small that the subtle differences would not be a contributing factor. Or are they using a Lazer to cut the stones? I asked this question before & never received an answer.

Also, am I on the wrong track to think that rough (being grown & not manufactured) would have it''s own set of characteristic that would lend itself not to xyz copied specifications. Or do they evaluate the rough & then determine what specifications there model would think is best.
Good questions. I will leave the technical explanations to the cutters, perhaps Paul Slegers or Brian Gavin or Bill Bray can drop in and explain those things, as to your question about the rough, I do know that rough varies dramatically from piece to piece and that there are definite limitations to what can be done to each piece on a weight retention basis and on a crystal orientation basis.

I was in Antwerp some years ago with my daughter and we saw a window being polished in a piece of rough at the factory one afternoon. The next morning we went to the diamonteer''s office in time to get in on a discussion on whether to cut a 2.75ct marquise from the rough or a 2.10ct round. The round was worth slightly less than the marquise, but it was decided to cut the round since it would sell much quicker and allow them to reinvest the money three or four times in the amount of time it would likely take them to sell the marquise.

In the case of the super ideal cuts, it is a matter of "spending" more rough to make the stone really beautiful, and can you sell it for enough more to make it worth while to "spend" the rough. Many cutters just go for the cut out cookies, some few go for the best you can be. We are fortunate here to have many of the best cutters in the world (and their vendors) vieing for your business. Still, some like vanilla and some prefer chocolate, and both are good choices.

Wink

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
This is the one post that I keep thinking about. I agree that Beautiful cuts could be different for different people.

What''s making me wonder - how can cutters copy beautiful/ideal diamonds? Are they using a computer model & the cutter cuts to those specifications? Is human error so small that the subtle differences would not be a contributing factor. Or are they using a Lazer to cut the stones? I asked this question before &; never received an answer.
Cutting lasers are used in sawing and can be used to shape rough in broad terms (shaping it into a horse''s head for example), but unless there is an application we''re unaware of cross-working and brillianteering is always done at the polishing wheel, which is impregnated with diamond powder.

Wink gave a good example of a broad approach to planning. Rough is planned down to the finest details. Today there is the aid of computers and scanning lasers: Such devices will precisely map the locations of cavities, grooves and inclusions in a piece of rough, and the software calculates millions of options to determine the best possible yield for round or fancy shapes while taking into account finished proportions and internal flaws.

To see examples of this technology: Helium rough planner / Sarin Advisor software

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Also, am I on the wrong track to think that rough (being grown & not manufactured) would have it's own set of characteristic that would lend itself not to xyz copied specifications. Or do they evaluate the rough & then determine what specifications there model would think is best.

Both statements are correct. Every piece of rough is different and has its own characteristics. After evaluation the best plan for that rough is developed. Yield and demand are prime considerations.

1. Yield is important to the manufacturer who pays for the rough. Every piece is different. Some pieces will finish best as a shape other than round. Some rounds will be shallow and others deep. Manufacturers make decisions based on what will make the most attractive diamond while allowing the most yield.

2. Demand drives turnover. Demand for superideal rounds is not as high as it is for common commercial makes. It takes more time, and more ct weight, to produce a diamond to precision specs (xyz) and size/color/clarity still drive most purchase decisions; since cut particulars are not as well-known in commercial markets... This is why you will find 0.97 ct superideals (for example) are more scarce than 0.97 ct commercial makes. A piece of rough that would finish as a 0.97 ct super-duper-Tolkowsky-H&A&bunnies-or-whatever can be sent to a commercial cutting floor where it will finish as a 1.00 ct steepish/deepish or off-make and save that critical 1ct mark that will bring its top price in many markets.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Ya know - my tenure here has been quite long - this is the first logical answer.
9.gif

Makes sense.

I guess at the end of the day - the cutters is where the science, the eye & the skill becomes the art. Not too different in process than Leonardo Da Vinci.
2.gif

That''s one of the reasons I got my info incorrect w/ the Capt - if the rough is cloudy - how can you cut as such with a visual...? Honestly - just a dopey consumer thought.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 7:40:11 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Both statements are correct. Every piece of rough is different and has its own characteristics. After evaluation the best plan for that rough is developed. Yield and demand are prime considerations.

1. Yield is important to the manufacturer who pays for the rough. Every piece is different. Some pieces will finish best as a shape other than round. Some rounds will be shallow and others deep. Manufacturers make decisions based on what will make the most attractive diamond while allowing the most yield.

2. Demand drives turnover. Demand for superideal rounds is not as high as it is for common commercial makes. It takes more time, and more ct weight, to produce a diamond to precision specs (xyz) and size/color/clarity still drive most purchase decisions; since cut particulars are not as well-known in commercial markets... This is why you will find 0.97 ct superideals (for example) are more scarce than 0.97 ct commercial makes. A piece of rough that would finish as a 0.97 ct super-duper-Tolkowsky-H&A&bunnies-or-whatever can be sent to a commercial cutting floor where it will finish as a 1.00 ct steepish/deepish or off-make and save that critical 1ct mark that will bring its top price in many markets.
Yes and while we here might demand a lot out of our stones, most of the people I know are quite content to just go off and get whatever looks purdy in the window and pay whatever is asked of them for it. I''d say that''s quite a demand for "whatever" is maximized from the rough, particularly if they''re shallow and wide so that it looks big on the finger.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
from fire and ice''s original post --

I''m sure I will take quite a bit of heat for this. By all means discuss these things in thread specific. But, I think taking the nano discussions to a regular consumer is a disservice. JMHO - and not a popular one.
**************************************************************************************************************************
interesting thread..the way it started out and where it has ended up.

great posts and stimulating conversation.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 6:19:26 PM
Author: Wink

...I was in Antwerp some years ago with my daughter and we saw a window being polished in a piece of rough at the factory one afternoon. The next morning we went to the diamonteer's office in time to get in on a discussion on whether to cut a 2.75ct marquise from the rough or a 2.10ct round. The round was worth slightly less than the marquise, but it was decided to cut the round since it would sell much quicker and allow them to reinvest the money three or four times in the amount of time it would likely take them to sell the marquise.
This is a great example of balancing yield with demand, and demonstrates the human decision-making component. There are many paths available in the decision-making and execution stages and any weak link in the chain can influence the finished product. After planning the marking - sawing/cleaving - bruting - polishing all require skilled craftsmen, especially if one is going for specific xyz specs.

As an example, Paul introduced us to a gentleman this year at JCK; Maurice, who is one of the most highly regarded sawers in Antwerp. See, those diamond cutter guys, they get the lion's share of the glory, but don't forget their poor, overlooked supporting casts.

Hafta run now, before sensei Gavin-san reads my last sentence and puts a cutter-chop on me...
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 8:00:01 PM
Ya know - my tenure here has been quite long - this is the first logical answer.
9.gif

Makes sense.

I guess at the end of the day - the cutters is where the science, the eye & the skill becomes the art. Not too different in process than Leonardo Da Vinci.
2.gif

That''s one of the reasons I got my info incorrect w/ the Capt - if the rough is cloudy - how can you cut as such with a visual...? Honestly - just a dopey consumer thought.
Well, there are da vinci''s and then there is the guy on the corner pumping out reproductions for barely more than the cost of canvas LOL (and the guys in the mall selling paintings for $1400 that were barely more than pumped out... at quite a profit!!

~>

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread... on many levels!
2.gif

I would like to add my humble two cents here... because, unless I missed it, no one else has mentioned this point.

One reason why I think the *numbers* aspect (particularly as regards super-ideals, etc.) appeals to (or is important to) some people is because knowing that a diamond meets ideal-cut criteria is a VERY GOOD indicator that you have found a beautiful stone. (Not 100%, of course, but pretty darn close.)

This fact can be quite comforting to a newbie (or anyone who has not had the opportunity to view a lot of diamonds) who may not *REALLY KNOW* what a "good" diamond looks (or performs) like. They are spending A LOT of money and those "ideal" specs add a nice element of security for people who (for whatever reason) are just a little unsure about "buying with their eyes" only.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2006 8:53:50 PM
Author: Lynn B
Interesting thread... on many levels!
2.gif

I would like to add my humble two cents here... because, unless I missed it, no one else has mentioned this point.

One reason why I think the *numbers* aspect (particularly as regards super-ideals, etc.) appeals to (or is important to) some people is because knowing that a diamond meets ideal-cut criteria is a VERY GOOD indicator that you have found a beautiful stone. (Not 100%, of course, but pretty darn close.)

This fact can be quite comforting to a newbie (or anyone who has not had the opportunity to view a lot of diamonds) who may not *REALLY KNOW* what a ''good'' diamond looks (or performs) like. They are spending A LOT of money and those ''ideal'' specs add a nice element of security for people who (for whatever reason) are just a little unsure about ''buying with their eyes'' only.
I agree with you Lynn (you''ve been a bit quiet lately haven''t you?). But I also feel there''s another reason some expect perfection. These are the same people (myself included) who don''t buy furniture at discount stores. These are people who typically shop at Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus. These are people who drive higher end automobiles, like Mercedes, Audi and BMW. And these are people who expect the best and are intent enough to ensure they''re buying something truly excpetional. The people who shop at Walmart (please no offense to anyone who does, as I''m sure Walmart has some bargains to be sure), and who buys a mass production car, are (and I realize I''m stereotyping) less likely to care about the perfect diamond specifications, nor pay for them.

OK.....I''m sure lot''s of people could drive snob daggers through me over the above.............

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 10:42:42 PM
Author: Rod

I agree with you Lynn (you've been a bit quiet lately haven't you?). But I also feel there's another reason some expect perfection. These are the same people (myself included) who don't buy furniture at discount stores. These are people who typically shop at Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus. These are people who drive higher end automobiles, like Mercedes, Audi and BMW. And these are people who expect the best and are intent enough to ensure they're buying something truly excpetional. The people who shop at Walmart (please no offense to anyone who does, as I'm sure Walmart has some bargains to be sure), and who buys a mass production car, are (and I realize I'm stereotyping) less likely to care about the perfect diamond specifications, nor pay for them.

OK.....I'm sure lot's of people could drive snob daggers through me over the above.............
I gotta kinda disagree with the premise that a snob about one things means a snob in all. People can want the best in the things they hold dear, and cut corners in other areas they don't value so much. I don't think it's as cut/dried, black and white as suggested above.
2.gif

Mara could easily qualify as a diamond snob (has to have the most immaculate specs, etc), but she'll be the first to tell you she drives a 12-year old "ghetto car".

I know people who want the "best of the best" in automobiles but couldn't possibly care less about furniture.

In fact, Rod, you're likely one of the best examples....you say you don't shop at discount stores and are label conscious, but that didn't make you buy an AGS000 stone. There, you bought what your eye liked instead of buying the 'pedigree'.

I'm WAY into ideal diamonds, but I couldn't possibly care less about handbags. The whole LV thing is totally lost on me!
9.gif
It's a bag....big deal.
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 12:31:20 AM

Date: 8/22/2006 10:42:42 PM

I agree with you Lynn (you''ve been a bit quiet lately haven''t you?). But I also feel there''s another reason some expect perfection. These are the same people (myself included) who don''t buy furniture at discount stores. These are people who typically shop at Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus. These are people who drive higher end automobiles, like Mercedes, Audi and BMW. And these are people who expect the best and are intent enough to ensure they''re buying something truly excpetional. The people who shop at Walmart (please no offense to anyone who does, as I''m sure Walmart has some bargains to be sure), and who buys a mass production car, are (and I realize I''m stereotyping) less likely to care about the perfect diamond specifications, nor pay for them.

OK.....I''m sure lot''s of people could drive snob daggers through me over the above.............
I gotta kinda disagree with the premise that a snob about one things means a snob in all. People can want the best in the things they hold dear, and cut corners in other areas they don''t value so much. I don''t think it''s as cut/dried, black and white as suggested above.
2.gif

Mara could easily qualify as a diamond snob (has to have the most immaculate specs, etc), but she''ll be the first to tell you she drives a 12-year old ''ghetto car''.

I know people who want the ''best of the best'' in automobiles but couldn''t possibly care less about furniture.

In fact, Rod, you''re likely one of the best examples....you say you don''t shop at discount stores and are label conscious, but that didn''t make you buy an AGS000 stone. There, you bought what your eye liked instead of buying the ''pedigree''.

I''m WAY into ideal diamonds, but I couldn''t possibly care less about handbags. The whole LV thing is totally lost on me!
9.gif
It''s a bag....big deal.
9.gif
I guess you got me Alj. And I knew I was stereotyping. But even though I didn''t get AGS000, I was most definitely into the pedigree of my stone, I just didn''t go as far as some might. But, I am the kind of guy who shops at Nordstrom, lives in a beautiful new condo on the bay and drives a Mercedes.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t this a lemon pie thing? he he

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 9:11:09 AM
Author: justjulia
It is indeed
31.gif

Just some people buy their pies at Sams Club. And some buy their pies at bakeries. While others are perfectly satisfied with Ms. Smith''s frozen lemon pies from the grocery store. And finally, some have chefs (NOT ME) in their gourmet kitchens who make lemon pies whenever they want one!!!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 8:09:11 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
from fire and ice''s original post --

I''m sure I will take quite a bit of heat for this. By all means discuss these things in thread specific. But, I think taking the nano discussions to a regular consumer is a disservice. JMHO - and not a popular one.
**************************************************************************************************************************
interesting thread..the way it started out and where it has ended up.

great posts and stimulating conversation.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
See, and maybe this is just MY opinion - the history of how a diamond came to be as finished diamond is not nano specs. You have people who are ACTUALLY looking at the rough, evaluating broad terms then specific terms - often with consenus. I doubt whether they are thinking - will this 4.2 whatever round to the necessary GIA 4.1 whatever or evaluating what''s the dopey "image" over the internet going to look like.

To understand anything one has to understand the history. And, with any art - most likely science is part of it. But, when science supercedes art - it''s not really understanding nor appreciating the object.

But, thanks for the history! Maybe we were in Antwerp - I thought it was Brussels - anywho - I have vivid images for watching the diamond cutters. INTENSE yet devil may care.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 7:30:24 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
OctoNus has a great example of a report from their Helium Rough planner on the website. Here is one graphic.

Detailed report.
OctoNus is Serg''s - No? Interesting. Thanks.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 9:32:29 AM

Date: 8/23/2006 9:11:09 AM
Author: justjulia
It is indeed
31.gif

Just some people buy their pies at Sams Club. And some buy their pies at bakeries. While others are perfectly satisfied with Ms. Smith''s frozen lemon pies from the grocery store. And finally, some have chefs (NOT ME) in their gourmet kitchens who make lemon pies whenever they want one!!!!!
I gave up membership at Sam''s-while the prices were good, the selection was limited. Since I don''t eat sweets that frequently, I prefer a good bakery that doesn''t mind letting me taste their wares before I make a decision. Ms. Smith makes a very good pie, in a pinch. I dream of having a gourmet chef.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I jus wanna know when NORDSTROMS became the "go to" classy store?? Maybe I''m spoiled, living in the Tri-State area ... but I think of Saks & Barney''s and Bendels and Neimans and Bergdorf''s LONG before I think of NORDSTROMS. Nordstroms = Bloomingdales = Macy''s in my book.
3.gif

But then again, I live in a pre-1800''s cottage, eat grocery store pies & drive a Toyota!
2.gif

Admit it, Rod. You just go there for the piano playin''!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 10:45:45 AM
Author: decodelighted
I jus wanna know when NORDSTROMS became the ''go to'' classy store?? Maybe I''m spoiled, living in the Tri-State area ... but I think of Saks & Barney''s and Bendels and Neimans and Bergdorf''s LONG before I think of NORDSTROMS. Nordstroms = Bloomingdales = Macy''s in my book.
3.gif

But then again, I live in a pre-1800''s cottage, eat grocery store pies & drive a Toyota!
2.gif

Admit it, Rod. You just go there for the piano playin''!
OK........I do love the piano playing.
19.gif
But seriously. We have Nieman and other higher-end stores, but to me, Nordstrom is definitely "A Cut Above" Macy''s. But maybe Nordstrom has spoiled me as we were adopted by a terrific lady in the men''s department who has taken the time to learn our likes and dislikes. For example there was this terrific light weight leather jacket, two tone that I always drooled over. But at $1200 I just looked. One day, our "shopper" (that''s what they call them at Nordstrom) called me at work and told me my jacket was marked down to $300 and she set one aside in my size. Of course I rushed right over and bought my prize. But alas, I had to give it away too. After losing 50 pounds, it fit me like a tent and two different tailors advised they could not make it smaller and look good.

Nieman, btw......is just plain too snooty (imho). I mean come on, you can only use your Am Ex card there? I don''t like to charge purchases to a credit card. I have no credit card debt and I plan to keep it that way.

Snob? Moi? Moi doth protest!!!!! LOL

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 11:06:12 AM
Nieman, btw......is just plain too snooty (imho). I mean come on, you can only use your Am Ex card there? I don''t like to charge purchases to a credit card. I have no credit card debt and I plan to keep it that way.

I forgot about Neiman''s cc policy... prob ''cause I mostly shop at their decidedly unsnobby "Last Call" outlets! And the Saks version and the Barney''s version ... LOVE when snooty merch gets the ol'' markdown! Saks is my fave ''cause I think I gained the 50 you lost -- and they have the best selection of "hip" plus size Snoot-wear.

And I''m all for good customer svc -- yr. right: Nordstroms is better than some others on that front! The womens depts just aren''t as, um, edgy or "fashion forward" as their Snooty counterparts are. Good for "basics" ... bad for stopping-traffic.

Ahem ... back to your regularly scheduled PIE-TALK.
3.gif

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/20/2006 11:48:49 AM
Author:fire&ice
My head is going to explode. Diamonds are an art form. Diamonds are not an exact science. Any data can be manipulated. Any data has rounding or margin for error. Any eye can prefer one stone over the other. The prefered *Ideal* is in the EYE of the beholder.
I agree with the sentiment. It''s a question of balance. Diamonds are about both art and science. Diamond buyers have different needs in terms of getting comfortable with a purchase so that they can truly enjoy their stone. The challenge for the seller is to understand a customer''s needs and desires, and to be able to provide the information and guidance required to satisfy that particular client.

I think it is important to note that a critical and distinguishing element of the GIA cut grading system is their validation of the science with huge numbers of human observations. I think this approach provides the kind of balance that is very beneficial to most consumers.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 11:22:43 AM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 8/23/2006 11:06:12 AM

I forgot about Neiman''s cc policy... prob ''cause I mostly shop at their decidedly unsnobby ''Last Call'' outlets! And the Saks version and the Barney''s version ... LOVE when snooty merch gets the ol'' markdown! Saks is my fave ''cause I think I gained the 50 you lost -- and they have the best selection of ''hip'' plus size Snoot-wear.

And I''m all for good customer svc -- yr. right: Nordstroms is better than some others on that front! The womens depts just aren''t as, um, edgy or ''fashion forward'' as their Snooty counterparts are. Good for ''basics'' ... bad for stopping-traffic.

Ahem ... back to your regularly scheduled PIE-TALK.
3.gif
Luv ya Deco!!!..........Also, I don''t know about your Nordstrom, but there''s not a single men''s shoe store in the Tampa area with anything near their selection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results