shape
carat
color
clarity

Stop me from buying a diamond from walmart, splitting hairs on where to buy.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is a REALLY subjective thing some people actually don't notice it much at all and all some people see is the colour..... so honestly you have to work out what she or you can or can't live with first colourwise and go from there on the size versus budget....

Most people start noticing colour around a J/K however some people really notice it at around an I and a small number of people notice it at a H..... and then there are those that unless the stone is overly yellow or tinted don't notice it at all.

I agree with arkie... she needs to see GIA diamonds of around the same size in I/J/K colors to know for sure. And NOT UNDER THE JEWELER'S LIGHTS - under regular bulbs and sunlight if possible.

On color... Personally, I am not very color sensitive. I have a 3.33 ct I, and it looks white enough for me. I had a 2.43 J before, and it would've been too tinted for me in a solitaire (it was set in a halo, so faced up white enough). I wouldn't go below J, unless she has seen it with her eyes and is good with it - esp since there's no upgrade in the future.

ETA: color is more saturated in larger stones, so a 1ct J may be totally white enough for her... hell, a K could as well! But she needs to see it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also point out that two of the styles of settings you have selected lend themselves to Antique cut diamonds, there are new perfectly cut old cuts as well. And, I personally have always found them more forgiving or acceptable colourwise in mid and lower colours than round brilliants are, like this stone;

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also point out that two of the styles of settings you have selected lend themselves to Antique cut diamonds, there are new perfectly cut old cuts as well. And, I personally have always found them more forgiving or acceptable colourwise in mid and lower colours like this stone;

OMG... this is gorgeous! I love old cuts in lower colors. Only issue would be losing spread.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree about lower colors working much better in the older cuts. Also I love the chunky facets and cut style. They are absolutely gorgeous stones.

Only thing to note is that due to the way the stones are cut and proportioned differently, you end up with more depth or vertical weight in the stone. Consequently for the same carat weight, you will end up with a slightly smaller diameter. For instance this 0.92 carat stone measures out around 6 mm, whereas, a modern round brilliant 0.90 carat stone would measure out around 6.2 mm.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave - pls forgive me for this, as I know I've asked you before, but - what size finger are you wearing that .64 on? I actually think it looks delicate and lovely on you, not too small at all!

I love a petite, elegant soli!

7.25 I know, it’s a very lovely size.

scoobertin

Rough_Rock
7.25 I know, it’s a very lovely size.

I am glad she asked your size, this puts a good perspective on size just as stonewells illustration. She has a 9.50 size so a .80ct would look similar. A one carat might be ideal but .80 would be good and I would not give up on quality of the diamond. Thank you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad she asked your size, this puts a good perspective on size just as stonewells illustration. She has a 9.50 size so a .80ct would look similar. A one carat might be ideal but .80 would be good and I would not give up on quality of the diamond. Thank you.

Glad to help.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want the classic you could also look at resale sites. Do you know what style she prefers?
This one is .76 F/VS2 @6mm center stone. The $4750 is negotiable.
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...nd-ring-gia-certified-108-carat/id-j_6175792/
1581728370968.png

T&Co .74 I/SI $4995 (negotiable)
1581728946276.png

.82 $4500
1581729200491.png
1.15 $4950
1581729477416.png
.81 I/VS1 T&Co $4895
1581729964556.png
Antique Style ring .80 center $4595
1581730123081.png
.66 H/IF HOF solitaire $4595
1581730289125.png

Attachments

• 1581730264914.png
    1581730264914.png
    395 KB · Views: 123

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should have finished the thread before posting, apologies.
Given her ring size and her desire to have this be a forever ring have you confirmed she wants a MRB? Other diamond shapes face up larger for the carat weight an oval/pear/marquise diamond might be worth considering.

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
If you want to give off a bigger appearance a halo might do the trick! As well as setting the diamond slightly higher. Mine is set really low and looks smaller on my finger.

Excited to see what the final choice is!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear about that ring size (bigger actually) and I want to say two very important things about the setting selection.

On a larger finger, especially a nice squishy one, a wider and thicker band will look better, and also size the ring to be roomy to avoid finger bulge.

The shank of my ring is 2.5mm wide and it is 1.8mm thick/tall. I sized it generously. It looks very nice on my hand. Super delicate rings don’t look as good. To me, these issues I describe are far more important for ensuring the ring looks lovely on her hand, far more important than trying to stretch to buy a diamond a fraction of a mm larger.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear about that ring size (bigger actually) and I want to say two very important things about the setting selection.

On a larger finger, especially a nice squishy one, a wider and thicker band will look better, and also size the ring to be roomy to avoid finger bulge.

The shank of my ring is 2.5mm wide and it is 1.8mm thick/tall. I sized it generously. It looks very nice on my hand. Super delicate rings don’t look as good. To me, these issues I describe are far more important for ensuring the ring looks lovely on her hand, far more important than trying to stretch to buy a diamond a fraction of a mm larger.

My wife is a 7.5 and she also prefers a little more width than the super tiny dainty rings.

One thing I noticed when shopping for her was that in pictures it looks perfect but when you see with your eyes it changes. I blame magnified pictures, as they make really delicate stuff look perfect and more realistic sizes look off.

Also a reverse taper where the band tapers into a more skinny width near the diamond can give the optical illusion of a bigger stone while the bulk of the ring is a little wider.

Not suggesting this ring, but illustrating the taper I am talking about.

BE1D2589_Peg_Round_white_carat_75.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
.90 G vs1 scores .6 on HCA ask for images $4200

.83 G vs 1 scores .9 HCA $3087

I'm a B2C fan, I think you get more diamond for your money and those guys know what they're looking at. They're very honest about color and clarity and will steer you away from something they know will bother you.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
brian gavin’s had some recent posters unhappy with the customer service. Whiteflash has more and better reviews here, and a better upgrade policy. All else equal, go with Whiteflash. And congratulations!! I’m sure she will be thrilled :)

Ditto, nightmare of an experience with Brian Gavin. Customer service is dead.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also a reverse taper where the band tapers into a more skinny width near the diamond can give the optical illusion of a bigger stone while the bulk of the ring is a little wider.

Not suggesting this ring, but illustrating the taper I am talking about.

I agree with what you are saying about the visual effect of a reverse taper, however OP's initial post included two links to illustrate the settings under consideration, and both of them widen towards the stone. I'm not sure if this is an important detail to get right. Something for OP to consider :)

Settings from OP's first post. I poked around looking for similar styles from WF, etc. but wasn't sure if there was anything comparable in budget:

1582207131888.png
1582207187530.png

wileel

Rough_Rock
Wish I could be as much help as the others here but I've been where you are and its tough. After TONS or reading and from advice from the folks here I decided to loosen up on color to open up my options more and maybe shave some bucks. I ended up with a stone from BGD's Blue line and couldn't be happier. That being said, we are not hyper color sensitive and I personally like the touch of warmth in a stone.

Unfortunately, I've bought a couple e-rings in the past and they were from your common brick and mortar shops. This is the first premium stone I've bought and let me tell you there is no comparison...I can honestly say this stone blew me away when it comes to fire and sparkle. I'm now a firm believer that (as suggested by the great folks here) that a great cut is huge factor to consider.

scoobertin

Rough_Rock
Quick update, went to a couple of jewelry stores to get a better feel of diamonds in person.
Not super sensitive to color but can tell a difference. I dont think we can go lower than I color. Super ideal cuts versus just a regular cut you can definitely tell a difference.
The thing is now. She fell in love with pear shaped diamonds. I had a feeling she would but there is no real grading for pear shaped vs a round, so now I will start looking at pear shaped now and see where it take me.

scoobertin

Rough_Rock

Yes, that is where I am looking at. Blue nile is one place where they put aspect ratio of the diamond. One of the few things to look at a pear shaped.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you went to look in person! Pears are gorgeous, but hard to find and very personal in terms of what you like.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to suggest Diamonds by Lauren for a pear diamond. David and his folks have a good eye and can help.

Yes, very true. David can find you a great pear.

scoobertin

Rough_Rock
I'd like to suggest Diamonds by Lauren for a pear diamond. David and his folks have a good eye and can help.

Well a little update I contacted David as Eliza and whitewave suggested and I finally got a ring. In all honesty I almost caved and went to walmart and got her something. They had some nice ones at Costco she liked. But David from Diamonds from Lauren helped me out.

David was awesome and he had rings that fit her style more and different. He gave me a sweeeeet deal on one he had in stock. It came in last week and will give it to her when I return home this Wednesday. Not sure who is more excited me or her. Nah its me, cant wait to see it.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well a little update I contacted David as Eliza and whitewave suggested and I finally got a ring. In all honesty I almost caved and went to walmart and got her something. They had some nice ones at Costco she liked. But David from Diamonds from Lauren helped me out.

David was awesome and he had rings that fit her style more and different. He gave me a sweeeeet deal on one he had in stock. It came in last week and will give it to her when I return home this Wednesday. Not sure who is more excited me or her. Nah its me, cant wait to see it.
I think we'll also be a bit excited. Can you post pictures or a link? I hope she loves it!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad that you found something that you are happy with! I bet everyone would love to see photos!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@scoobertin Yes, you. Must come back with pictures. We are all excited that you found something you will love (and that isn’t from Walmart)!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting! David has great product!

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Well, are you gonna show us or what? :appl:

scoobertin

Rough_Rock
Yes sorry, I just barely gave it to her today. Here is the link to the ring. The ring is beautiful in person. I was looking for something that had excellent polish and very good symmetry, and even though this ring does not have those specs. It is a beautiful ring in person. I certainly cannot complain.

She was totally happy, it was way more than she expected. Her ring size is 9.75 and very happy that it looks adequate. Totally surprised her with a yellow diamond. David worked with me and with covid19, time was against me with him partially closing down. He gave me a sweeeeet deal on this ring. I didnt pay the price that was listed, I feel guilty about the deal that he gave me but I would be a fool to refuse it at the same time. Very thankful he worked we me. Link amd pic below

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results