shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone from Winfield''''s -- Pendant from WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Neck shot. Couldn''t get the arrows lined up but I am not good with the camera.

mypendantMI1.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Your daughter''s pendant looks lovely on her. You and Wink did such a great job finding the perfect stone for her, which I am sure she will treasure for years to come. Bravo!
36.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations, Swingirl, on your beautiful purchase, and thank you for your nice words.

Just for fun, I went to look up the history of this particular stone.

It was part of a parcel of 53 rough stones, with this one weighing 2.76 Carats. From the rough, we estimated finishing a +1Ct M-SI2. Unfortunately, because of tension, the stone "exploded" (exaggerated cutter-term) on the wheel. So, our nice 1-carater was going to end up with a big feather.

The only thing we could do, was to reduce the size up to the level where the inclusion became sellable. That is your 0.53 Ct. When sending it to AGS, we estimated a grade of L-SI2, but AGS decided otherwise, and there was your M-I1.

What is my loss of the stone exploding? Well, we loose about 1,500 USD on this stone. But that is part of life. Now, it brings me joy that the final customer is so happy with her purchase.

Live long,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it!!!

i am just as jazzed with my pendant!! with the thin bezel around it, it looks HUGE...like at least a 1c. in pictures and stuff i am always like woah. your daughter''s looks similarly large!

such a fab find. and what a story around the stone, thanks for sharing paul.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Paul, for sharing the history of my diamond! I must be one of the very few who have such details about the life and times of their stone! I’m so glad you shared this story of my stone from it’s “rough” beginnings to it’s present day beauty. I am sorry you lost the bits that blew off the original and that AGS put it at a lower color and clarity. But for me it was a spectacular find and it will be enjoyed for years (and generations) to come. We’ll have a great story to go along with the AGS report!

You do beautiful work and your website is very easy to work with.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara. Your was the inspiration!

It looks big on my daughter because her neck is thin. I wanted WF to make it 15" not 16". But it ended up 16" anyway. I think it''d look a little better shorter. What do you folks think?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great story from Paul! LOVE the neckshot too, oooh I am so jealous!!!
face15.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2008 10:01:41 PM
Author: Jelly
Do you have any neckshots or real life shots? What a deal for $600! All vendors should carry such beautiful diamonds with low color/clarity but ideal cut! YUM!

I am just seeing this for the first time myself. I have to comment on this, as it is a very true statement.

We have sold many of these stones, almost always to in-house clients, as they are made out to be truly hideous by so many in the on-line community.

They can in fact be incredibly beautiful.

I am more and more convince that there is but one quality issue, cutting. The rest are rarity issues that absolutely affect the cost, but usually have less affect on the beauty than the cutting.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2008 1:31:17 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Congratulations, Swingirl, on your beautiful purchase, and thank you for your nice words.

Just for fun, I went to look up the history of this particular stone.

It was part of a parcel of 53 rough stones, with this one weighing 2.76 Carats. From the rough, we estimated finishing a +1Ct M-SI2. Unfortunately, because of tension, the stone ''exploded'' (exaggerated cutter-term) on the wheel. So, our nice 1-carater was going to end up with a big feather.

The only thing we could do, was to reduce the size up to the level where the inclusion became sellable. That is your 0.53 Ct. When sending it to AGS, we estimated a grade of L-SI2, but AGS decided otherwise, and there was your M-I1.

What is my loss of the stone exploding? Well, we loose about 1,500 USD on this stone. But that is part of life. Now, it brings me joy that the final customer is so happy with her purchase.

Live long,
I wonder how many people realize that when you buy a well shaped 2.76ct rough gem that you are expecting to get a 1 ct as your main finished diamond and a much smaller one as the secondary.

I am curious, what did the secondary finish? Was it smaller still or was it about the same size? I am guessing smaller, which is why you are the cutter and I am the asker...

Wink

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The smaller sawn part weighed 0.66 Cts. We sold it as such to another cutter, of course in a bigger parcel.

On a side-note, we bought the parcel of rough from the Antwerp rough-dealing subsidiary of Tiffany''s. Canadian origin, I think, although this is based upon experience, and not on a written guarantee.

It is clear why Tiffany''s rejected this stone (they generally do not carry this colour), but we like to buy these parcels actually.

Live long,

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, the sawn part weighed 66 points. Approximately what size diamond would that finish? Assuming a mall cut and an ideal cut, how much would the weight vary?

Wink

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the most beautiful M I1 that I have ever seen
30.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, Wink, I cannot answer this.

If it were a nice shape, it could yield a round between 0.30 and 0.35. But it may also have been a long flat piece of rough, possibly with a black inclusion in the center.

Live long,

Akasma

Rough_Rock
Brilliant! What an amazing find, it''s just stunning!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Excellent pendant! Well done.....
36.gif

cheers--Sharon

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
What a pretty necklace! I''d love to see some more photos of it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a close up of the neck.

apendantSwgrl1.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here are both the pendants. The smaller one is my original e-stone that I had recut and put into a white gold martini. It''s about 0.40 ct. The bezel does make a difference in the size. At 0.53 ct it looks a lot larger than mine.

apendantSwgrl2.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Swingirl, Thank you so much for the neckshots! LOVE IT!!!

Paul and Wink...After people have seen this, I think gorgeous stones like this will fly off the shelf! Keep the well cut, low clarity, low color stones in stock!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful necklace, wonderful diamond. Makes the piece extra special to get the history of the diamond and how it was cut. Very, very nice.
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS DIAMOND! Killer, killer, killer!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I love it!

And how fun to know some of its "history"!

But, most of all... wow, whatta find! YAY for you!
36.gif

Thanks for sharing!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Well I will jump in on the WOW train because that stone and necklace deserves it for sure!!!!
30.gif
Your daughter will treasure that for sure, what a sweet mommy!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
It''s beautiful! ..nice arrows!
30.gif

I have such a greater appreciation for lower color stones now. The story behind the diamond was great too!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful birthday gift! I can see why she loves it. It is beautiful!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

Date:
3/25/2008 8:37:40 PM
Author: swingirl
Here are both the pendants. The smaller one is my original e-stone that I had recut and put into a white gold martini. It''s about 0.40 ct. The bezel does make a difference in the size. At 0.53 ct it looks a lot larger than mine.

apendantSwgrl2.jpg
I love this picture. What a sweet mom you are!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like warmer stones. That M is beautiful, especially in the setting that you chose!

Out of curiosity, what colour and clarity is your stone that you compared with your daughter''s above?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results