shape
carat
color
clarity

Steven Kirsch Solitaire w/ Whiteflash ACA - SO HAPPY!!

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to share my custom setting experience here because all the posts I found on PS were so helpful during these few months. Thanks guys! :D Sorry for the long post. Skip down for the part about SK.

For our anniversary, DH wanted me to have the engagement ring he couldn't afford when we were new grads. We spent months shopping and researching, and in the end, it paid off because I am ECSTATIC with my Whiteflash ACA!

For those interested in how different diamond vendors compared, please see my other post:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/useful-tips-for-1st-timers-recent-experience.219666/

After finding my center stone, I knew I wanted a solitaire setting but even then, there were so many designers and 4 prong or 6 prong?? My advice if you're in the same dilemma is don't go off photos alone. Find a local retailer and try it on. You can't tell depth properly in photos and that might be a dealbreaker. Some designs I considered were Vatche charis and venus, Brian Gavin grace, Tiffany six prong, and Mark Morrell torchiere.

In the end, I chose the grace design for its security and simplicity. It's a four prong basket on a half-round band. Local stores often had some variation of this setting to try on, but the quality was visibly off. i.e. weak soldering points, pre-made basket was too small resulting in the diamond sitting too high. So I decided to go for a custom setting.

My Steven Kirsch Experience

I asked for quotes from Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera. (I didn't ask LM and MM for specific reasons.) Steven gave me a very fair price for custom work, compared to local stores. Victor's rep flat out rejected my business because I wanted certain dimensions like band width. I think if you're paying for a custom piece, you'd better be able to specify things you care about, especially if you're working over the internet, vague adjectives like "thin" don't cut it IMO.

So I went ahead with Steven, going off of one photo and a few dimensions and preferences. He was always extremely responsive to emails, which surprised me a little because I'm sure he gets emails all day from finicky people like me. Yet he was always patient and professional. I shipped the diamond to him and he received it no problems. He also had his own insurance for the diamond while it was in his possession, unlike VC. He finished the ring within the time promised and DH went with me to pick it up in person. When I saw the ring, I was thrilled! The fit was perfect, all the dimensions I requested were made SO VERY precisely, and it was exactly how I envisioned it. The attention to detail was truly remarkable. All the prongs were equidistant, uniform, and fit the diamond like a glove. If you need a quality piece in platinum, this is the guy to go to.

One of the features I had to have was a low profile (for work). I had no specific height in mind, but asked for "low as possible" thinking of what I've seen at most jewelry stores. Well, he was able to get it really low, which suits me perfectly. But keep in mind when you say low, it will probably be lower than you've seen elsewhere. He'll also tell you the height in mm. Just make sure you visualize it.

In case you're wondering if the basket reduced any of the diamond's brilliance, it did not. It sparkles just like any loose ACA diamond. Here is my 1.59ct F VS2 ACA with solitaire setting by Steven Kirsch.

img_10739.jpg

img_10740.jpg

img_10741.jpg

img_10742.jpg

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
One more photo :angel:

img_10743.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning! :love: congratulations!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Classically beautiful - congratulations!! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and perfect!!! :love: :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, your stone and setting are perfection! Love his work, the ring is gorgeous!! :appl: :love:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Simply gorgeous! Congratulations on your new ring, it is perfect! :appl:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Classic elegance! I love it! It looks fantastic on you! :appl:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! Really pretty stone and ring - very elegantly classic. Enjoy!!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and elegant ring! You have great taste, Happy Anniversary! :clap:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, beautiful! We'll take two dozen more photos though!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That is such a pretty ring!!! All of your research really paid off.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Elegant & perfect! I love a classic solitaire :love: And of course your diamond is gorgeous, enjoy!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Classic! Love it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic and beautiful! Good call!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful :love: :appl:

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is very lovely! Enjoy!!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE low profile. If you ask me there is no low that's too low (unless the culet is drilling a hole in your finger LOL). It is beautiful, elegant, and timeless--it will never look dated. Congratulations on your excellent taste and a fabulous result from SK.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
One question: did SK have any objections to 4 prongs, or warn you that 6 is more secure for this size stone?

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your kind comments! He didn't say anything about security with the four prong because there's a basket holding the prongs together. I suppose that's pretty secure.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! It's beautiful on you. :appl: :appl:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Love that stone you chose! :love: :love: :love:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! So elegant, so simple! I adore that setting. I agree completely about the diamond sitting low in the basket - I love that look, and many stock settings have the diamond sitting too high, IMHO.

It's beautiful! You really can't go wrong with a combination of a Whiteflash ACA and Steven Kirsch!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for letting us know how well your ring turned out! Also for the fabulous pics both profile and top view. Will you be wearing a band with your ring as well and if so what are your plans? Just curious if you will go with a custom or Whiteflash band (which also have a a stones!!)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone and setting!!! The ring looks stunning on you. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Please post a lot more pics.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful!!!! :love: I really like the width of the band! What size it?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous and just perfect! You made wonderful choices, congrats and enjoy your beautiful ring! :appl:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely and perfect on your hand! Enjoy your ring. :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Classic and beautiful !... :love: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results