shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting my search for an upgrade!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I’m currently looking to get a new larger 2+ct round, at the lowest possible price. A few months ago I ordered (and returned) a 2ct lightbox diamond, at the time thinking of doing a different second ring, but instead it made me realize I want to replace my own stone. I haven't been able to shake the need to go larger, even though mine is not much smaller at 1.67 ct, the visible size difference was surprisingly quite noticeable to me. (I think the lightbox was over 2ct because it measured 8.1+ mm. Mine is 7.6+mm.) With the LB diamond I was close to keeping it - I was quite happy with the sparkle, and surprisingly the color, it looked plenty white for me almost all of the time, but I just wasn’t feeling sure about the cut. So I thought I’d try to find something as good or a little better, hopefully colorless... and hopefully for just a few hundred more?

When searching on Ritani I look at each report for the ideal parameters you’ve suggested @DejaWiz for table, crown and pavilion angles. I’ve only found a couple so far that fit the numbers, but there’s a trade off, like color or a possibly visible inclusion, or on one diamond it looked like the arrows didn’t line up ?…

So I’m always wondering, when one of the angles is off by just a little (for example PA under 40.6 or over 40.9, or under CA 34, etc), is there some leeway in one direction or another there that would still yield a great looking stone?

And certainly I’d love to see any you’d recommend if you have a chance :) I’m aiming for over 2ct, under or close to $2k, prefer colorless but if there’s a G that looks like an F, fantastic! @Kim N @DejaWiz Thanks!!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found two options you could take a look at.

I do tend to stick with pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 because lower angles produce elongated arrows that fill the table and can sometimes have potential unwanted obstruction. There can be great 33/41 stones. It's best if you can verify light return with an ASET or Ideal-Scope image on any stone you're considering. If Ritani can't provide one, David Atlas sells scopes on his website.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Y'all are just the best, thanks so much! So when you see those black dots but Ritani says it's Eye Clean - are they not really noticeable in person ? I think I'd be fine with inclusions but the needle one in mine is clear so I'm just not sure

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'all are just the best, thanks so much! So when you see those black dots but Ritani says it's Eye Clean - are they not really noticeable in person ? I think I'd be fine with inclusions but the needle one in mine is clear so I'm just not sure

It depends on your eyesight and how closely you scrutinize the diamond. My guess is it'd be eye clean. The 2.23 looks cleaner and costs only a little bit more.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Some more to look at:

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on your eyesight and how closely you scrutinize the diamond. My guess is it'd be eye clean. The 2.23 looks cleaner and costs only a little bit more.

Ya I think I'm leaning towards that one, though I usually prefer fatter arrows, I realize I can't really make out mine in person like I do in these videos - so guess my eyesight isn't so great..

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
These G color ones from both of you are really jumping out to me, but I am pretty color sensitive and worried about warmth. Can you tell from the videos if they have any? The lighting and gray background looks a bit dimmer than other videos - maybe that's what's making them more appealing to me

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
These G color ones from both of you are really jumping out to me, but I am pretty color sensitive and worried about warmth. Can you tell from the videos if they have any? The lighting and gray background looks a bit dimmer than other videos - maybe that's what's making them more appealing to me

It's a personal judgement call.
All of these seem to be very well cut and proportioned, so they should provide tons of white light return. But, there are those lighting conditions and viewing angles that could bring out the slight hue. May not be so much of a worry since the diamond will be gathering and reflecting anything and everything in the environment that it's in, any way.
Maybe head over to Whiteflash and check out the videos for 1.9-2.5 carat ACAs in the G-H color range to get a rough visual.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I believe they both have warmth. 2.31 on the left, 2.34 on the right. The lighting and background of the left seem a bit warmer.

2.31-2.34-tint.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not apples to apples comparison due to the difference in the background, but here is the 2.23 F VS2.

2.23.jpg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
One more question - is there any good reason to be drawn to the fatter arrows (other than just finding it appealing in photo/video)? I don't want to keep limiting myself to them if not

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Kim N need your eyes and mind for these...what are your thoughts?

Posted this earlier.

SI1 with the grade setting inclusion tucked under the crown. Dark uppers or lighting/camera?

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock

Posted this earlier.

SI1 with the grade setting inclusion tucked under the crown. Dark uppers or lighting/camera?

I thought that 2.08 E looks pretty darn stunning… looks like some stria ? nothing to be concerned about?
6A48F8BC-51BC-4D61-BAAF-431B473D15E0.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more question - is there any good reason to be drawn to the fatter arrows (other than just finding it appealing in photo/video)? I don't want to keep limiting myself to them if not

I love fatter arrows too. Fat arrows provide broader, bolder flashes. Skinny arrows have more splintery scintillation.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I love fatter arrows too. Fat arrows provide broader, bolder flashes. Skinny arrows have more splintery scintillation.

Ok, I wondered if that’s why mine blinds me sometimes! The lightbox diamond didn’t have that effect

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Posted this earlier.

I love the 2.08--tiny table, fat arrows! The stria will likely not be a problem in real life viewing.

The 2.00's proportions are a bit too iffy for my taste, and it looks like it may have leakage under the table.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

My preference is for shorter lowers resulting in fatter arrows...75-76% LGF. I love chunkier optics...if that's the correct term.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
My preference is for shorter lowers resulting in fatter arrows...75-76% LGF. I love chunkier optics...if that's the correct term.
Thank you! I’m leaning more today, thanks to you both. Where does one look for that LGF percentage ?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I’m leaning more today, thanks to you both. Where does one look for that LGF percentage ?

IGI doesn't list them, unfortunately.
GIA, AGS, and GCAL do for both earth grown and lab grown.
You can make a fair assumption by looking for diamonds that have thicker arrows (like the 2.08 or 2.29 that were posted above, as examples).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Off the mains but the reverse off the lowers which are a bigger % of the pavilion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not apples to apples comparison due to the difference in the background, but here is the 2.23 F VS2.

2.23.jpg
Not the only difference however.
Its much better protected from environmental colors than the setup used for the other 2.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 2.00's proportions are a bit too iffy for my taste, and it looks like it may have leakage under the table.
Good call the numbers can work if executed well but you caught the indications that all may not be well.
It would take advanced images to confirm.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off the mains but the reverse off the lowers which are a bigger % of the pavilion.

Karl, can you elaborate on the part about the mains?

The lowers (with all other proportions being equal) determine the arrow size, right? (smaller LGF result in fatter arrows--again, all other things being equal)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl, can you elaborate on the part about the mains?

The lowers (with all other proportions being equal) determine the arrow size, right? (smaller LGF result in fatter arrows--again, all other things being equal)
Sure the pavilion mains are where the pavilion angle is measured.
They show up as dark arrows when obstructed:
bmains.jpg

When you change the lgf% you change the % of the pavilion took up by the lowers therefor control the width of the mains.
However the visual or apparent width can be changed slightly depending on the crown/pavilion combo for the same lgf%.
The pavilion angle is what determines at what distance the pavilion mains change from showing obstruction to light return for a given crown configuration.

Back to my prior point notice how little of the diamond is getting light from the mains which are being obstructed.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure the pavilion mains are where the pavilion angle is measured.
They show up as dark arrows when obstructed:
bmains.jpg

When you change the lgf% you change the % of the pavilion took up by the lowers therefor control the width of the mains.
However the visual or apparent width can be changed slightly depending on the crown/pavilion combo for the same lgf%.
The pavilion angle is what determines at what distance the pavilion mains change from showing obstruction to light return for a given crown configuration.

Back to my prior point notice how little of the diamond is getting light from the mains which are being obstructed.

That was super helpful, thanks, Karl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results