shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Star Sapphire Celebration Ring

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This year marked a very important professional accomplishment for me: I was promoted to full professor at my university. It took me 13 years to achieve this goal, on top of 9 years of graduate and post-doctoral education. So I decided to buy myself a beautiful ring to mark the occasion, as a reminder and a reward for all my hard work.

My first attempt to create my dream celebration ring ended in tragedy, as just one day after bringing my ring home I discovered that the center gemstone had been damaged. You can read the whole tale of woe here, including my experience making a claim with Jewelers Mutual to replace my damaged gemstone.

Behold my tale of woe (it does have a happy ending though).

As some of you may recall, back in March of this year I purchased a star sapphire from Finewater Gems to set in a ring to celebrate my recent promotion to full professor. You can read the story here: Star Sapphire Ring Project

My sapphire was a lovely oval about 4ct and purplish-pink in color. Gary bought it in Sri Lanka during a buying trip as a favour to one of his buyers.

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

The star was very bold and showed itself with even the slightest hint of light.

IMG_0560.jpeg

I decided to set the gem locally because I didn’t feel like I had the stamina to go through the long-distance custom process again. It’s just so hard to communicate about design long distance. The local jewellers hand forged their rings in house and they had a sample in hand that I liked so I went for it.

Just four weeks later I had the ring in hand and I took photos to share here on PS.

IMG_0894.jpeg

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to enjoy my ring for very long. The very next day I noticed that the sapphire was damaged.

Luckily I was insured. And after a six month journey to replace my damaged star sapphire I finally have my beautiful — and perfect — celebration ring on my hand.

Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs sourced the 4ct, Sri Lankan star sapphire for me. It is a gemmy little gum drop that shifts from a delicate pink in the sun to a deep purple indoors. The star is soft but complete and centered. I’m really enjoying the crystal quality.

IMG_1448.jpeg
Here are some photos when it was loose and a video that Yvonne took that shows the pink color.

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

Yvonne also made the 18k gold setting for me. We chose some lovely pink and blue sapphires for side stones.

IMG_1389.jpeg

And here are Yvonne’s pictures of the finished ring.

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

I’ll post my photos and videos in the next post.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_1466.jpeg
My first vision when I opened the box :kiss2:

There is no sun today but I captured a bit of asterism in my kitchen.

I didn’t realize how beautiful the little pink marquise sapphires would be. They are vibrant and eye catching and they sparkle beautifully.

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

These photos show the darker purple color mostly. Maybe the sun will come out and I can capture the pink another day!
IMG_1476.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is really REALLY stunning! I read your other thread and am so happy to see this result! I love everything about it. I admittedly know nothing about star sapphires but that is a BEAUTY - and the setting and sidestones are just gorgeous!

Well done on all of it!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That ring is fantastic and it contains the wisdom sweat, tears and effort that got you to this place. I'm proud of you.
You earned this and dammit, it calls for FIREWORKS.

*oh, and in my headcannon I'm calling her Sweet Jane, because I love that song and you put it in your last video.8)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, it's stunning!! So creative and unique, and the colours work together BEAUTIFULLY :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL!

Sumptuous, juicy, glamorous & unique.

Huge congratulations on the career success & may that stunner always be a reminder that you really can achieve your dreams :kiss2:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, juicy, juicy! This ring is the very definition of "eye candy". :lickout:

You know, sometimes circumstances force you to redo things, and in redoing them you outdid yourself. Your original ring was stunning, but this one just goes above and beyond, and I can honestly say I prefer it that much more.

When the sun does show up, don't forget to post a dozen (at least!) more photos.

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your promotion to Professor! Definitely worth celebrating, and what a ring with which to celebrate!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just dreamy!! So delicious. Congratulations on your promotion! What a fine way to celebrate. Enjoy that juicy ring!

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
First, congratulations of your professional success! Well done, you!
Second, she's GORGEOUS! And, I think she screams "JOY!" The setting, the star (and you are, too!), the colored stones... just breathtakingly beautiful. Wear her in good health and enjoyment!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to you! I am not always a fan of star sapphires but this rendition if just beautiful! Kudos to you for the design and may it always remind you of the hard work that goes into great success. Bravo!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your gorgeous ring and your career accomplishment!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This year marked a very important professional accomplishment for me: I was promoted to full professor at my university. It took me 13 years to achieve this goal, on top of 9 years of graduate and post-doctoral education. So I decided to buy myself a beautiful ring to mark the occasion, as a reminder and a reward for all my hard work.

My first attempt to create my dream celebration ring ended in tragedy, as just one day after bringing my ring home I discovered that the center gemstone had been damaged. You can read the whole tale of woe here, including my experience making a claim with Jewelers Mutual to replace my damaged gemstone.

Luckily I was insured. And after a six month journey to replace my damaged star sapphire I finally have my beautiful — and perfect — celebration ring on my hand.

Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs sourced the 4ct, Sri Lankan star sapphire for me. It is a gemmy little gum drop that shifts from a delicate pink in the sun to a deep purple indoors. The star is soft but complete and centered. I’m really enjoying the crystal quality.

IMG_1448.jpeg
Here are some photos when it was loose and a video that Yvonne took that shows the pink color.

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

Yvonne also made the 18k gold setting for me. We chose some lovely pink and blue sapphires for side stones.

IMG_1389.jpeg

And here are Yvonne’s pictures of the finished ring.

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

I’ll post my photos and videos in the next post.

Gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy this beautiful ring for your hard work!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just gorgeous. The colours harmonize so well, and that star sapphire - wow. What a wonderful piece of jewellery to commemorate your professional achievement. Congratulations Dr. @dreamer_dachsie !

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_1466.jpeg
My first vision when I opened the box :kiss2:

There is no sun today but I captured a bit of asterism in my kitchen.

I didn’t realize how beautiful the little pink marquise sapphires would be. They are vibrant and eye catching and they sparkle beautifully.

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

These photos show the darker purple color mostly. Maybe the sun will come out and I can capture the pink another day!
IMG_1476.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg

I can’t express enough how unexpectedly beautiful and perfect your celebration ring is. The complimentary pinky purple blue gemstones surrounded by the deep buttery gold (I’ll have to look for what karat it is) they are just perfect. I love those colors together! I love the movement of the Star in its dome, and the multi focal points of interest including that the sapphires respond and change according to the light. Your ring has Mughal vibrancy, a Royal, stunning symphony. A magnificent ring for a magnificent achievement! Congratulations!

Last edited:

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Wowwowowow that is so beautiful!! I love all the colors and the setting is so gorgeous!

But most importantly, a huge CONGRATULATIONS on getting full professorship! The feeling of such a huge accomplishment is priceless but it’s nice to have a visual reminder of how far you’ve come and how it so deserves to be celebrated

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HUGE congrats! I got tenure in 2021 so my next hurdle is full prof. The ring is gorgeous and I'm so happy you treated y9urself to this lovely piece!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sun peeked out a little bit. I live so far north that even mid day when these photos were taken the sun was very low on the horizon and so the purples dominate. Maybe next year I’ll see the pink again :lol-2:

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1501.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

I was trying really hard to capture the “water” of the gem and to show how the asterism floats but I think you need two eyes to really see the phenomenon properly. The single eye of the camera just flattens things a little. These images came close.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

And this video sort of captures the depth of the gem.

Another.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is really REALLY stunning! I read your other thread and am so happy to see this result! I love everything about it. I admittedly know nothing about star sapphires but that is a BEAUTY - and the setting and sidestones are just gorgeous!

Well done on all of it!

I don’t know much about star sapphires either! At least, I didn’t when this all began. I kind of bought the original star on a whim because the price was right and it was big lol. But I feel like now I know much more, after owning two and doing lots of reading and looking at so many photos on here. It was very helpful to have Yvonne’s eye though. She has a long time interest in stars and she picked a winner for me!

Beautiful! The pink and blue sapphires are perfect - they go so well with the colour shift of the star sapphire. Everything about this - the star sapphire, the other stones and the design - is magical.

This has to be one of the best and most creatively designed star stone rings I've ever seen.

You may wish to add it to the star stone thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-your-star-sapphires-and-rubies.231433/page-36
Added!

And that is a high compliment coming from you!! Thank you! I think magical is exactly the word I would use. Back when I started this project I wanted a ring that evoked the ancient and mystical that made me think of the sacred feminine — like the crone and wise women and witches. I feel like this ring captures that for me and I’m so happy about that.

That ring is fantastic and it contains the wisdom sweat, tears and effort that got you to this place. I'm proud of you.
fireworks.gif
You earned this and dammit, it calls for FIREWORKS.

*oh, and in my headcannon I'm calling her Sweet Jane, because I love that song and you put it in your last video.8)
Sweet Jane is a lovely song! For me it’s more like Witchy Woman or maybe Rhiannon as a vibe though! I don’t have a name for this one. It’s my ring of power. What was Galadriels ring in LOTR? Did it have a name?

Oh my goodness, it's stunning!! So creative and unique, and the colours work together BEAUTIFULLY :kiss2:
Thanks dear!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Nenya, the Ring of Adamant!
That was the name of Galadriel's ring. Of course I would know that though, huh.:lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on JOTW! It truly is a beautiful ring and you did such a good job in designing it!!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg how did I miss this? So lovely and feminine :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: Congratulations on JOTW and your professional milestone!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!

Sumptuous, juicy, glamorous & unique.

Oooh, juicy, juicy! This ring is the very definition of "eye candy". :lickout:

It’s just dreamy!! So delicious. Congratulations on your promotion! What a fine way to celebrate. Enjoy that juicy ring!

I love how you all described this ring as “juicy” and “delicious”! I couldn’t agree with your choice of words more. I’ve always been partial to cabochon gems because they just scream “eat me”.

First, congratulations of your professional success! Well done, you!
Second, she's GORGEOUS! And, I think she screams "JOY!" The setting, the star (and you are, too!), the colored stones... just breathtakingly beautiful. Wear her in good health and enjoyment!
Thank you! “Joy” is also a perfect word to describe how I feel looking at this ring.

Congratulations to you! I am not always a fan of star sapphires but this rendition if just beautiful! Kudos to you for the design and may it always remind you of the hard work that goes into great success. Bravo!!!
Thank you friend! I can’t take credit for the design. The design of the original inspiration ring was commissioned by another of Yvonne’s clients apparently, and I think the motif — using marquise stones like leaves around a central gem— is quite classic. I do really like how the yellow gold looks with the pinks and purples, that turned out better than I imagined. And the somewhat rustic style of the engravings around the halo, which are a specialty of Yvonne’s setter/engraver Pierre I believe, add a beautiful texture that really sparkles in the sun.

It is so pretty and unique. I think it turned out beautifully, and congratulations on your promotion!

Congrats on your gorgeous ring and your career accomplishment!

Gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy this beautiful ring for your hard work!

Your ring is just gorgeous. The colours harmonize so well, and that star sapphire - wow. What a wonderful piece of jewellery to commemorate your professional achievement. Congratulations Dr. @dreamer_dachsie !
Thank you all so much! Applying for the promotion was almost as arduous as doing the work to qualify lol It took about a year from the time I started gathering materials for my application until it was finished. Very glad I never have to do anything like that again! Full professor is the highest rank I can apply for.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t express enough how unexpectedly beautiful and perfect your celebration ring is. The complimentary pinky purple blue gemstones surrounded by the deep buttery gold (I’ll have to look for what karat it is) they are just perfect. I love those colors together! I love the movement of the Star in its dome, and the multi focal points of interest including that the sapphires respond and change according to the light. Your ring has Mughal vibrancy, a Royal, stunning symphony. A magnificent ring for a magnificent achievement! Congratulations!
Gosh LightBright this is so poetic! It’s funny how a piece of jewelry can inspire such imaginings, but we obviously aren’t the only ones to feel this way. I’ve been reading through Richard Wise’s Secrets of the Gem Trade, and the earlier chapters have a brief history of ancient cultures’ relationships with coloured gems. I guess humans have been gazing and getting lost in the depths of colored gems since they first dug them out of the earth.

I was drawn to the idea of a star gem in part because I imagine that asterism must have been especially meaningful to our ancestors. Like magic. And like you said, royalty must have coveted these gems as well. Wearing this gem makes me feel connected to those people’s and makes me think about the enormity of human history, which has always been a favoured subject of mine. My ancestry is Celtic, and this gemstone is from modern day Sri Lanka, but the Germanic tribes migrated all the way to the north of India. I’m sure there was trade happening, especially of riches like these, between the Germanic tribes and the Mughuls in the Middle Ages. Anyway, I enjoy thinking about those connections and history when I think about this gemstone. Thank you for leading me to ponder this!

Wowwowowow that is so beautiful!! I love all the colors and the setting is so gorgeous!

But most importantly, a huge CONGRATULATIONS on getting full professorship! The feeling of such a huge accomplishment is priceless but it’s nice to have a visual reminder of how far you’ve come and how it so deserves to be celebrated
It is exactly a visual reminder! I also chose to wear it in my middle finger for symbolism — in some ways, the road to getting to this position was incredibly difficult and I often flip the bird at the memory of those times to ward off the negative emotions I sometimes feel about it. And also, becoming a full professor, and becoming middle aged, really, has led me to a place in life where I no longer have any f**ks to give lol So yes, this ring is very symbolic to me!!

HUGE congrats! I got tenure in 2021 so my next hurdle is full prof. The ring is gorgeous and I'm so happy you treated y9urself to this lovely piece!
I didn’t know you were a professor too! Congrats on tenure, that is a biggie for sure. What is your field of study? I am a psychologist.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on JOTW! It truly is a beautiful ring and you did such a good job in designing it!!
Thanks again MGR!

And wow! Super cool! It was a stealth award, doesn’t someone from the PS team usually post in the thread to announce it?:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results