shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Star Sapphire Celebration Ring

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh LightBright this is so poetic! It’s funny how a piece of jewelry can inspire such imaginings, but we obviously aren’t the only ones to feel this way. I’ve been reading through Richard Wise’s Secrets of the Gem Trade, and the earlier chapters have a brief history of ancient cultures’ relationships with coloured gems. I guess humans have been gazing and getting lost in the depths of colored gems since they first dug them out of the earth.

I was drawn to the idea of a star gem in part because I imagine that asterism must have been especially meaningful to our ancestors. Like magic. And like you said, royalty must have coveted these gems as well. Wearing this gem makes me feel connected to those people’s and makes me think about the enormity of human history, which has always been a favoured subject of mine. My ancestry is Celtic, and this gemstone is from modern day Sri Lanka, but the Germanic tribes migrated all the way to the north of India. I’m sure there was trade happening, especially of riches like these, between the Germanic tribes and the Mughuls in the Middle Ages. Anyway, I enjoy thinking about those connections and history when I think about this gemstone. Thank you for leading me to ponder this!

It is exactly a visual reminder! I also chose to wear it in my middle finger for symbolism — in some ways, the road to getting to this position was incredibly difficult and I often flip the bird at the memory of those times to ward off the negative emotions I sometimes feel about it. And also, becoming a full professor, and becoming middle aged, really, has led me to a place in life where I no longer have any f**ks to give lol So yes, this ring is very symbolic to me!!

I didn’t know you were a professor too! Congrats on tenure, that is a biggie for sure. What is your field of study? I am a psychologist.

I'm also a psychologist!!!!

mayday

Shiny_Rock
Your pics are great! That is a really beautiful center stone whose star you captured wonderfully. Congrats on your promotion ... it took me 18 years to traverse the same terrain! So 13 years ... you're a wunderkind!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring, dreamer_dachsie! I'm sorry the other one was damaged, but the new ring turned out even better. I love the leaf motif and the colors are amazing and so happy. Congratulations on your huge professional achievement!

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your impressive accomplishment! What a beautiful star. The subtle silky sheen and translucency of the stone complement the color in an incredible, unique way. The setting design and pop of color from the side stones are stunning, too.

Sorry about the original piece. I had a small gray blue star sapphire with a surface reaching fracture that went from barely perceptible without a loupe to a wider line that shifted to looking a little uneven on the outer edge once the stone was set in a bezel. I knew ahead of time there was a slight possibility the stone would be damaged...I was disappointed but ultimately the ring is still wearable and very much in my style so I enjoy it.

Have a great time with your original and colorful new ring. How delightful you have a resonant, witchy talisman to wear.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
So unique and pretty!! Enjoy her!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is one of the most inspiring happy rings on Pricescope, I’m still so enjoying its many moods, all delightful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea how I missed this, but am so pleased it came back around on SMTB!

Congratulations on such a major accomplishment, @Dreamer_D - and extra congratulations on this beautiful ring!

The colors and the style are so lovely, and cheery, and lush - it's so nice to see something so pretty and individual.

A wonderful piece for a wonderful accomplishment!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your impressive accomplishment! What a beautiful star. The subtle silky sheen and translucency of the stone complement the color in an incredible, unique way. The setting design and pop of color from the side stones are stunning, too.

Sorry about the original piece. I had a small gray blue star sapphire with a surface reaching fracture that went from barely perceptible without a loupe to a wider line that shifted to looking a little uneven on the outer edge once the stone was set in a bezel. I knew ahead of time there was a slight possibility the stone would be damaged...I was disappointed but ultimately the ring is still wearable and very much in my style so I enjoy it.

Have a great time with your original and colorful new ring. How delightful you have a resonant, witchy talisman to wear.

I’m so sorry about your damaged star :( I will never know for sure but I’m pretty sure mine was damaged by the setter. It was very upsetting to discover the damage myself rather than being told about the mistake. The pain and stress of that situation has faded with time thankfully.

Have you posted your star somewhere?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea how I missed this, but am so pleased it came back around on SMTB!

Congratulations on such a major accomplishment, @Dreamer_D - and extra congratulations on this beautiful ring!

The colors and the style are so lovely, and cheery, and lush - it's so nice to see something so pretty and individual.

A wonderful piece for a wonderful accomplishment!

Thank you! I have really been enjoying wearing her. I originally envisioned this to be a daily wear ring but I find myself feeling protective of her smooth polish and more importantly I have affirmed once again that I prefer RHRs that are low and sleek, for ease of wear. So I only wear her about once a week but it feels very special every time.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1466.jpeg
My first vision when I opened the box :kiss2:

There is no sun today but I captured a bit of asterism in my kitchen.

I didn’t realize how beautiful the little pink marquise sapphires would be. They are vibrant and eye catching and they sparkle beautifully.

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

These photos show the darker purple color mostly. Maybe the sun will come out and I can capture the pink another day!
IMG_1476.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg

How did I miss this the first time around? It's gorgeous!!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
The ring is absolutely beautiful, but not as beautiful as your promotion and hard work!

My most heartfelt congratulations to you--as someone who is working on her dissertation proposal these days and has been teaching for a few years (since before my PhD program,) I see first hand just how much goes into it all.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I missed this! So funny! I wonder if we “know” each other. That would be hilarious.

This is funny. Next conference both of you will be on high alert for familiar jewelry. Sometimes I meet people and for the life of me can't remember who they are--but I never forget a jewel! :lol-2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is absolutely beautiful, but not as beautiful as your promotion and hard work!

My most heartfelt congratulations to you--as someone who is working on her dissertation proposal these days and has been teaching for a few years (since before my PhD program,) I see first hand just how much goes into it all.

Thanks so much! Academia is a strange world for sure. It didn’t feel so hard as I was going through it all. Just one step in front of the other. And I find the research and writing side of things very engrossing and rewarding. Mentoring graduate students is probably the best part of the job and for the last 10 years, my research has all been student led. Good luck with your proposal!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to share one other detail of my ring, the inscription. I’m a 90s kid and of course, Friends was a huge presence in pop culture during my formative years. There is an episode where Monica gets sick and keeps trying to seduce Chandler to prove she is still healthy. She claims she is in the “prime of life” and Chandler teases her because her stuffy nose makes her say it like “prime of lime”. It’s become an inside joke for my husband and I — every time we find life hard because of health challenges or hard times we both laugh about how we’re in the “prime of lime”. This sentiment also captures how I feel about my promotion, when I’m feeling cynical.

RIP Matthew Perry.

IMG_1446.jpeg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to share one other detail of my ring, the inscription. I’m a 90s kid and of course, Friends was a huge presence in pop culture during my formative years. There is an episode where Monica gets sick and keeps trying to seduce Chandler to prove she is still healthy. She claims she is in the “prime of life” and Chandler teases her because her stuffy nose makes her say it like “prime of lime”. It’s become an inside joke for my husband and I — every time we find life hard because of health challenges or hard times we both laugh about how we’re in the “prime of lime”. This sentiment also captures how I feel about my promotion, when I’m feeling cynical.

RIP Matthew Perry.

IMG_1446.jpeg

It's a beautiful lime!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Friends quote! I’m also a 90s kid who grew up on the show and can always spot a quoted line in the wild and share a laugh with whoever said it.
I made a joke about naming myself princess banana hammock during a work meeting recently and 2 people laughed and all the gen Z folk looked confused

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Gosh LightBright this is so poetic! It’s funny how a piece of jewelry can inspire such imaginings, but we obviously aren’t the only ones to feel this way. I’ve been reading through Richard Wise’s Secrets of the Gem Trade, and the earlier chapters have a brief history of ancient cultures’ relationships with coloured gems. I guess humans have been gazing and getting lost in the depths of colored gems since they first dug them out of the earth.

I was drawn to the idea of a star gem in part because I imagine that asterism must have been especially meaningful to our ancestors. Like magic. And like you said, royalty must have coveted these gems as well. Wearing this gem makes me feel connected to those people’s and makes me think about the enormity of human history, which has always been a favoured subject of mine. My ancestry is Celtic, and this gemstone is from modern day Sri Lanka, but the Germanic tribes migrated all the way to the north of India. I’m sure there was trade happening, especially of riches like these, between the Germanic tribes and the Mughuls in the Middle Ages. Anyway, I enjoy thinking about those connections and history when I think about this gemstone. Thank you for leading me to ponder this!

It is exactly a visual reminder! I also chose to wear it in my middle finger for symbolism — in some ways, the road to getting to this position was incredibly difficult and I often flip the bird at the memory of those times to ward off the negative emotions I sometimes feel about it. And also, becoming a full professor, and becoming middle aged, really, has led me to a place in life where I no longer have any f**ks to give lol So yes, this ring is very symbolic to me!!

I didn’t know you were a professor too! Congrats on tenure, that is a biggie for sure. What is your field of study? I am a psychologist.

I love Richard Wise's book. Bought it used.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Friends quote! I’m also a 90s kid who grew up on the show and can always spot a quoted line in the wild and share a laugh with whoever said it.
I made a joke about naming myself princess banana hammock during a work meeting recently and 2 people laughed and all the gen Z folk looked confused

lol!! This is me in class. I have clips from sex and the city and mad men and these kids don’t even know those shows?? Friends at least they know cuz it’s on Netflix I think. But I don’t even care, I speak to the oldies in the room.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I not comment in this thread!? I could’ve sworn I’d already commented in this thread. That pinkish purple looks edible. Like a boiled lolly - um, the fanciest boiled lolly :love:

And the mount is classic Yvonne, I love how she uses shape and colour. I feel like her style is incredibly distinctive - you know her work wherever you see it. Impressive, to be that distinctive in 2024!

This was such a mad, long, mad journey. I hope your ring still thrills you :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol!! This is me in class. I have clips from sex and the city and mad men and these kids don’t even know those shows?? Friends at least they know cuz it’s on Netflix I think. But I don’t even care, I speak to the oldies in the room.

Yeah I work with kids and I’m constantly having to update my understanding of what references are totally out of date with them. Luckily they keep remaking classics like the ninja turtles and Batman so I know those will never go out of style! And now that they remade Mean Girls, I can put some those references back in rotation
I did the Home Alone Tim Allen grunt the other day though and everyone just looked at me like I was insane. Oops.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not the Tim Allen grunt! :lol-2::lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results