shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel, diamonds, blue pearl, upgrades, remakes....three lovely projects now finished!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday, @yssie :wavey:

I think I'll be switching out 2 stones, as apparently 2 of them aren't playing nicely with the others. I have my eye on a pair that might do the job, so we'll see.

Re the spinel, yes, I'll definitely be changing the prongs on the spinel - I' all about cohesion and flow.

And there was never a single second during which I considered doing Tiffany proportions on my 3 stone! Yikes!! My finger, which was originally an 8.25 at its largest, is now a 6.5 and, while stil substantial, would battle to handle that kind of spread! And, frankly, if I had that ind of money to spend, I'd up my center to a 4+ct and go back to a soli, I think.

I bought a 1.05ct AVR from GOG and am getting matching 3.5mm sides cut so I can make a platinum cluster. That will be one of my last rings - if not my last. I'm umming and ahhing about doing 2 more, but we'll see. Either way, no more settings will be done this year, apart from the ones already being worked on (2 charm bracelets, rubellite, diamond and pearl earrings and opal drop earrings). I'm also putting the AVR into a temp setting that I already have, and changing the shank and prongs on the spinel ring. After that, I have between 1 and 3 rings to go - and then I've finished my collection. I'm sure there will be the occasional piece here and there - but the 'mental list' will be finished. A reief, really.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @Starfacet Jewelry! I do love it and am wearing it a lot! That's always a good sign. :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher - your thoughts on this please:

I'm doing the rose gold shank for sure. But I'm also thinking of blackening the metal around the diamonds in the halo. I'm afraid it will make the stone too dark.

Your thoughts?

Are you thinking of a more grey than black (but still called black I think) rhodium like this example before/after
E330467B-E28B-4D51-8387-4C4300838B66.jpeg
Or a more solid black rhodium?
4D12952F-F470-40AA-91AA-3DEC3E11D804.jpeg

That’s more of a nosy question than in answer to your question tho!
I’m assuming the black just going directly around the diamonds and not expanding any further? Again assuming there’s a natural break in the design from the side view to be the line of demarcation.
I think if the black rhodium will not be applied to anywhere in the basket next to the spinel pavilion/girdle - it will not darken it. Will it fool the eye so when on your hand? Hard to tell.
I think it would look lovely and have a great nod to an ‘edgy’ component with still being allover considered a classic look.
(Will this then be too much of a stand alone item in your jewelry wardrobe?)
I think since you are considering something that’s not a permanent option - it’s worth the few dollars (relatively speaking) to try it out. As it can be removed with a thorough polishing (I believe, but please confirm) if you dislike it immediately as a whole, or it wears off down the road in a non enjoyable way, and wish to completely remove it.

the thought is intriguing :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher - your thoughts on this please:

I'm doing the rose gold shank for sure. But I'm also thinking of blackening the metal around the diamonds in the halo. I'm afraid it will make the stone too dark.

Your thoughts?

mrs-b
What’s your current thoughts on this - I’m intrigued :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b
What’s your current thoughts on this - I’m intrigued :)

Good morning, @Rfisher :wavey:

Well, I've sent it back to DKJ to change the shank and the prongs to 18kt rose gold. It will be a tri-wire, but a little more subtle than normal: I've asked for the top wire to be slightly flattened and the lower wires to be slightly narrowed.

As for blackening, I'm going to take a look at it once the shank is changed and see if that's where I want to go with it. I want to keep a sense of light and warmth with the spinel, so blackening might not work with that stone. It's an effect I've always liked, tho, so I'm not committed one way or the other: it really will depend on this particular piece and how it looks once the rose is introduced. What I *don't* want is a ring that ends up looking black, grey and brown - *very* drab. Rose gold has a LOT of brown in it, and the pink undertones in the spinel can reach towards a brown continuum also, so I need to be careful that I'm playing up the color, not sucking the life out of the poor thing!

I'll post it to this thread and link you when it's done. And thank you for your help and interest. :))

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations and best wishes for everything!
Your bling is absolutely luminous in its beauty.
Never stop!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I’m perpetually on PS so I don’t how I could’ve missed this thread??!!

You already know how I feel about your 3 stone, @mrs-b. In fact, I’ve always considered it (and posted it on the Hall of Fame thread) as one of (many) iconic pieces here on PS. I guess what I’m trying to say is, you once again outdid yourself by making something already perfect (as all your pieces are) even better.

Congrats on both your mammogram results and completion of your projects (although I see you‘re planning to make adjustments on the spinel ring)!! Can’t wait to see more of your projects! :love: :D

Oh, and Belated Happy 36th Anniversary!! Wishing you another 36+ years of love and happiness!!❤️❤️

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your kind wishes, @asterismdispersion :wavey: I am firmly of the belief that almost every ring on the planet should be a three stone, so you'll get nothing but support from me re making your colored gems three stone settings! Is this something you're seriously considering? I'd love to see them!

I'm loving the spinel more and more as time passes, but I'm actually considering re-doing the band into a plain rose gold band. I feel like it would bring some warmth out in the stone, and purple and orange is one of my all-time favorite color combos. So I'm thinking of going this route; I think it would look fabulous. We'll see, tho.

As for the necklace - I love everything about it. I love its originality and I LOVE its color combo. That blood red ruby with that cool, blue pearl is just delicious to me! Looking forward very much to wearing it this Saturday!!

Ack! Just getting back to this a near month later...

Yes I have three stone rings in the works that should surface sometime this fall: a diamond and a couple colored stone ones. And then, of course, in quarantine I have collected several gems I have plans for later.

I can see what you mean about the tone of the spinel calling for a warmer feature in its surround. It is more pink highlighted than, say, certain tones in a deep amethyst can be. Purple balancing with brighter and warmer color is great in the landscape too. I think it was Rosemary Verey who exemplified this with a famed, yellow and pink-purple with laburnum, arching over pairing at Barnsley.

laburnumwalk.jpeg

Hmmm, good thing you're not stopping soon, there's just too much lustrous and sparkly fun around the corner.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maita13 - thank you so much! I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment from my three stone, tho I'm dropping her back to DKJ at the end of next week to get the prongs slimmed down. The process never ends... I do wonder whether I should have gone with 6 prongs on the center stone, but the only way to know for sure is to totally re-do her - and I'm just not gonna!

Oh man, @asterismdispersion! Those colors are sublime! Purple and yellow and purple and orange are two of my all time favorite color combos. I'm hoping the spinel with rose gold will pick up what is, fundamentally, a purple and orange combination. We'll see in the next couple of weeks when I get her back! :))

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late to the party. CONGRATS! on your test results! That's something to celebrate. Happy Anniversary.

Thanks so much for continuing to take us along with you on your jewelry journey. As I've said before I DEEPLY admire your ability to know what you want and edit your collection.

LOVE the look of your new three stone. :bigsmile:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @Stone Hunter!

The journey is currently ongoing, tho I DO look forward to the day I'm done.

So does my bank account.

So does my husband.

:mrgreen:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here she is with her new shank: @Rfisher

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-01.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-02.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-04.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-03.jpg

Ohhh. Perfect @mrs-b. The RG made the purple blossom :love: That’s no “grey” spinel!

I LIKE the plain triwire. Feminine and delicate without being fussy. Your collection is not fussy - this aesthetic fits beautifully.

Handshots! How do you like it on? Comfy? Does the stone look more purple against your skin in-person?

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b :kiss2: well done on the re setting!

Normally not a fan of rose gold but I looks awesome with your spinel...making the color more lush. Congrats!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, oh wow, you’ve done it again, it is EXQUISITE and looks perfect now! I loved it before but now I can see it has reached a new level of beauty with these changes! Wow! Bravo, you visionary!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here she is with her new shank: @Rfisher

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-01.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-02.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-04.jpg

DKPV2020-10-15---62610-PH-03.jpg

This has to be one of the best transformations, ever! It was beautiful before, but now it's in THE most complimentary setting! I adore the rose gold with the purple spinel! Gorgeous!!! :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher - I know, right? I love it! I won't black out the head, I've decided, because I think it needs the contrast of that bright circle around the spinel to lift it. I have an idea for a ring that would use blackening, so that's down the pipeline. :)) Thank you for your help on this - I appreciate it!

Hi @yssie :wavey: I won't have it till Tuesday, as DKJ is tweaking the prongs on my 3 stone and it won't be done till Monday. Then on Tuesday I'll get my three stone back, the purple spinel and the new little soli I posted in the engagement ring collection thread. It will be a good ring day! And I agree - the band is just right. I love a good tri-wire; just enough detail and NOT (as you said) fussy!

Thank you, @lissyflo - I think it was definitely the right decision! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @DauphineMucha. Personally, I LOVE rose gold. I tend towards yellow gold in the pieces I buy, but rose gold is actually a better match for my skin and more complementary. I have some new rose gold, opal and diamond drop earrings coming for Christmas, so that will round out my rose gold collection.

Thank you, @Dandi! I reeeeeally like her! I think she has a warmth and elegance and individuality that makes her eye catching and lovely. I'm looking forward to Tuesday and getting her on my hand!!

Hi @MakingTheGrade :wavey: Well, I'm singing to the choir on the beauty of rose gold, aren't I! Your new pendant is SUBLIME. Rose gold just has a incredible warmth that none of the other metals have. Very happy with how this piece turned out!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laughing here - thank you, @pearaffair! I shall tell my husband that, from now on, he is to refer to me as "O Thou Majestic Visionary" - but only when it comes to spinel rings! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Seriously tho, I'm glad you like it. I think she's *very* beautiful.

Thank you so much, @diamondseeker2006. :)) I'm just amazed how much difference this makes. When DKJ sent me the photos, for one second I thought "Uh oh - they've sent me someone else's photos!" - and then I realized it was my spinel. Who would have thought that changing metals could make such a difference?! Very pleased with this project!

@missy - thank you, dear girl. I'm glad you like it and I hope she adds just a touch of color to everyone's day - as all good jewelry should do. When I saw your latest photo of your opal ring on Instagram, I'm not kidding when I say - it softened my heart. Pure beauty will do that, as you would know. :)) :wavey:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. Well, as requested, here are some shots of me wearing the pendant, plus one of both pendant and the spinel ring in the same shot. If you didn't mean me to include my head so you could get perspective, I apologize; it kind of comes with the territory.

20200831_150426.jpg

20200831_150455.jpg

20200831_150344.jpg

Found it. Hubba hubba! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results