shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Apologies for the threadjack. I'll move this to a new newbie thread. @Bron357 you are more than welcome to figure this out with me. I'll tag you when I begin the thread. I sincerely hope that I will learn enough (eventually) to have clarity and a little more wisdom when buying jade. I appreciate your feedback very much! I am starting to understand this is a journey.

Enjoy those dumplings ;-)

No need to start a new thread at all.

This thread right here is a second home to all the PS "waifs and strays" who are attempting the never ending task of figuring out how to acquire fabulous jadeite pieces at prices that won't break the bank! We can all learn right along with you as you progress on your journey!!! =)

This thread also has the huge advantage of having our resident experts @Burmesedaze @Seaglow and yes, despite her modesty, @ChaiK frequently stop by and help keep us neophytes from making any really costly mistakes. :D

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No need to start a new thread at all.

This thread right here is a second home to all the PS "waifs and strays" who are attempting the never ending task of figuring out how to acquire fabulous jadeite pieces at prices that won't break the bank! We can all learn right along with you as you progress on your journey!!! =)

This thread also has the huge advantage of having our resident experts @Burmesedaze @Seaglow and yes, despite her modesty, @ChaiK frequently stop by and help keep us neophytes from making any really costly mistakes. :D

Thank you but this will be my final post on this thread too. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and above all, nothing beats handling and seeing enough of the stone or material IRL to develop both the eye, the mind and the feel.

Also, take all advice with a pinch of salt :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
he better material are usually not available in larger sizes but bangles are actually cut in concentric circles if the material is intact, so larger sizes can be found up to well over 70mm and 80mm. E.g if a 52mm is carved out, add the thickness of say 6.5mm 1 side=13mm for both sides of the bangle, the next bangle cut outside of the first bangle will have an inner diameter of 52+6.5+6.5 which is 65mm. Many are smaller than 52 or thinner in thickness depending on the rough and maximum yield of jadeite preferred by rough buyer and cutter.

Usual diameters are 54-58. I've seen adults with very small hands and soft bones take a 48 too which is almost child size for bangle.

Ovals would usually be in smaller sizes than full circle bangles as that already indicates limited rough material hence needing to compromise in shape.

So size is a matter of whether the stores bring them in. Many collectors also like to collect large sizes to put on wooden stands as display items in shops and homes. I wear a 59.5 with a plastic baggie and vaseline but can take a 63 64 with ease. I have over 40 jadeite bangles now and still collecting :) spanning 59.x to a 70mm one.

Most are between 59.x to 62. I have a few photos posted on my thread among other baubles.

@Burmesedaze thank you for this reply a few days ago. I started reading your other thread for the bangles (and so many other beautiful stones). Only finished half-way. My mom is at my home after an operation and it's been a little crazy.
Anyhow, thank you for explaining the bangle cuts. It makes sense.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
This is a pink spinel Wriston is setting for me. I told Wriston I would post if he managed to help me find a good setting. And he has!

This is only one of the two spinels I sent him.

The other spinel will have to be custom setting. Every time I look at this picture, I very much want to go home and eat carrot cake and dumplings and pay Wriston a visit to see the progress of the setting of the two spinels.

Wriston sells jadeite so, erm, this would therefore qualify to be here.:D Oh, and they do go with my jade leaf earrings. So ok.

5.7 pink spinel.jpg
Jade leaf earrings (2).jpg

Last edited:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
This is a pink spinel Wriston is setting for me. I told Wriston I would post if he managed to help me find a good setting. And he has!

5.7 pink spinel.jpg

Nice double halo! This may be the same source from whom Icy_jade and myself found our most recent settings.
Your leaf jadeite has good "water" - so beautiful!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @YC. I almost chose your setting for the blue sapphire for my other pink spinel.

Unfortunately Wriston, advised my other smaller spinel would be too long for it:((. I do love your setting of the blue sapphire - like a starburst of diamonds. :kiss2:

Last edited:
Reactions: YC

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@ChaiK what size is the spinel? Looks big?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Wriston says he has one huge giant rubellite at 10 to 15 carats.....he will show me tomorrow. I think that is cruel of him. To leave me and bid farewell, bye bye, adieu, at a crucial point of the conversation.

But I am not buying. So not buying. Really not buying. Promise not buying.

Reactions: AV_

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wriston says he has one huge giant rubellite at 10 to 15 carats.....he will show me tomorrow. I think that is cruel of him. To leave me and bid farewell, bye bye, adieu, at a crucial point of the conversation.

So big! Mine is like 4.5 ct only I think

I keep telling him if only it is a 5 ct ruby instead of rubellite haha.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
So big! Mine is like 4.5 ct only I think

I keep telling him if only it is a 5 ct ruby instead of rubellite haha.

Don't care ruby or not.

Colour? Great - so so red:kiss2:

Cut? Good

Clarity? Good

Hardness? 7 to 7.5 - enough for me.

What's not to like about your rubellite? It's fantabulous. Your rubellite is infinitely better than an ugly dead ruby with low flourescence.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

So are you buying? Big and red...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wah!! Very nice! I rem seeing the ring and pendant before but not the pair. Have you set them?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Wah!! Very nice! I rem seeing the ring and pendant before but not the pair. Have you set them?

Not yet. I am not allowed to buy them.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is only one of the two spinels I sent him.

The other spinel will have to be custom setting. Every time I look at this picture, I very much want to go home and eat carrot cake and dumplings and pay Wriston a visit to see the progress of the setting of the two spinels.

Wriston sells jadeite so, erm, this would therefore qualify to be here.:D Oh, and they do go with my jade leaf earrings. So ok.

5.7 pink spinel.jpg

That is the perfect setting for the pink spinel, and the jade leaf earrings are gorgeous!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is big! Wah...

I bought the rubellite lol

4E9A5DB8-A332-4D79-95B0-352ECF61B2DE.jpeg

It's difficult to find rubellites that don't have a touch of pink, but yours is red, red, red!!!!

Thanos would be proud! =)2

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whilst we are on a red detour, =)2 I would appreciate your thoughts on this 8ct red spinel. It's in an old estate ring and the cut is definitely not precise, but it's a decent colour, and 8ct red spinels don't come along very often. It will likely cost more than a similar sized rubellite, but way less than a ruby!

Spinel 7.95ct.jpg
@voce

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@prs

Buy. If the price is reasonable get it. Spinel prices keep climbing and 8 ct is hard to come by

Reactions: prs

voce

Ideal_Rock
Whilst we are on a red detour, =)2 I would appreciate your thoughts on this 8ct red spinel. It's in an old estate ring and the cut is definitely not precise, but it's a decent colour, and 8ct red spinels don't come along very often. It will likely cost more than a similar sized rubellite, but way less than a ruby!

Spinel 7.95ct.jpg
@voce

Why @Me? I have no red stones above 2 ct :D most my stones are at the 1 ct mark. I will be honest and nitpicky here.

There is a window, and I like the color of the window, but I wonder how it looks when worn on the finger. I think that if this is studio lighting, irl it might look like the edges, which are not a stoplight red, but darker.

Do you have other pictures of it? Hand pics preferably. Although the setting was obviously crafted for the spinel and is very nice, if I were the owner I would probably consult a precision cutter for a recut. Size is a parameter I prioritize the least when I consider a purchase.

In short, it looks beautiful in the stock photo, but I'd rather evaluate irl. Does the seller accept returns of the ring is not up to expectations?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why @Me? I have no red stones above 2 ct :D most my stones are at the 1 ct mark.
All true, but your sense of color is second to none! :)

The stone does not have a window and looks fine on DW's finger. The real life color is actually very close to the photo. It does darken up considerably around the perimeter and my thoughts are very much like yours, in that whilst a recut might sacrifice considerable carat weight, it would be worthwhile if the entire stone could be made the same color as the center.

I guess my real question is how good is that center color?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results