color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Orange is the new green.....

ChaiK-s spess (2).jpg
Replying here. Yes. This one next. It is 20 carats . I thought it was 10 carats when I bought it. I had forgotten. But no, I am not a pendant ring fan. It will be a ring. I will update you. I don’t have it here with me. It is with a jeweller in Bangkok who is setting a pearl ring for me. I am all about setting now.
You will have a Jaffa on your finger. =)2 It's going to be a show stopper!!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
You will have a Jaffa on your finger. =)2 It's going to be a show stopper!!!

That's the whole idea, the Jaffa one. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yesterday, for the first time in person, DW and I saw a jadeite ring that I think might come close to being top quality. It was so green and glowed so much it almost jumped out of the display case!

From normal viewing distance the stone is a uniform, bright green, apple green I think, and one can see the glow from across the room. However close-up there are areas of darker green. My photos don't really do the stone justice, it looks much better in person. The first two are in sunlight:

301 Jade 1 (2).jpg 301 Jade 2 (2).jpg

The third photo is outside, in the shade:

301 Jade 4 (2).jpg

The Mason-Kay certified stone is huge, measuring 21.9x16.4x7.9 and estimated at about 23ct. The platinum and diamond setting is just so so, but this ring is all about the green! Asking price is about USD $25K and my problem, having never seen anything of this quality before, is just how good is the stone, and how much the color variations should impact the price.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday, for the first time in person, DW and I saw a jadeite ring that I think might come close to being top quality. It was so green and glowed so much it almost jumped out of the display case!

From normal viewing distance the stone is a uniform, bright green, apple green I think, and one can see the glow from across the room. However close-up there are areas of darker green. My photos don't really do the stone justice, it looks much better in person. The first two are in sunlight:

301 Jade 4 (2).jpg

The Mason-Kay certified stone is huge, measuring 21.9x16.4x7.9 and estimated at about 23ct. The platinum and diamond setting is just so so, but this ring is all about the green! Asking price is about USD $25K and my problem, having never seen anything of this quality before, is just how good is the stone, and how much the color variations should impact the price.
That is a gorgeous, high quality stone. The texture in it seem like a ‘color roots’ to me, which can be extremely desirable in bangles not only because of the poetry of color texture, but because there is an old belief that they can grow, leaking out more intense color. . I’m not sure about cabs, but one must also trust one’s eyes. It’s very very beautiful and iMHO adds a complexity and interest to the stone. I don’t know if it would be worth more if it were without color variations. There are many types of jadeite, each with top examples.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs You may want to visit one of the end of year 'Important Jewlery and Jadeite' auctions, just to see what the fuss is about. There are more interesting kinds of jadeite, but I also do not know where to get face to face with any such things, short of paying for them.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@prs
Typically the :eek-2: type of jadeite cabs (with prices to match) I’ve seen at fairs have very even colors and no patches. From what I’ve seen, patches reduce the price but I honestly have no idea how jadeite pricing works with a cab that size.

Reactions: prs

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is spready and the dome in relation to the size is rather flat. That affects lustre so while the cab isn't dry, it's not luminous nor lustrous. It looks like a sunny yang green but depends on how much your cam amped up the green. If I mentally dial down the green by 3 shades, it's slightly on the lighter side, though refreshing. Which I think appeals to you.

I think this cab was derived near the skin of the boulder and is not middle premium material hence the veins/patches and flatter dome.

I would give this US 5000-6000 tops. Which is on the higher side, factoring it's not from a China factory i.e. not "wholesale" price.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

301 Jade 4 (2).jpg

Lovely! I love:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:. But the price tag is huge. I paid less around 5k usd for mine. But mine is smaller at 18 mm by 13 by 7.8 mm high. I love the colour of this one you picked out. I think the colour is excellent because of the amount of chromium in this one so it has that glow. I am unable to see how high -domed this one is. So I can't comment on spread or height. I also think the camera may have picked up on and amplified its patchiness and that in person, the colour is not that patchy (even if it has that slight tendency). I am not sure if your camera has amped up the green. With mine, what you see, is what it is. I go for colour. There are many different types of jadeite and this type I like best. I see excellent colour, great texture and it is not full of veins or lines.

Just the price tag. Because I am now buying elsewhere, I believe this one is overpriced.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overpriced maybe, but different markets demand different prices and unfortunately for us in the west, we are at a disadvantage. If you can negotiate, that would be ideal. Prices are only what one is willing to pay ultimately. I think it’s stunning , beautiful and soulful. To my eye, ( just my humble opinion here) it has that ‘wow’ factor, which is quite unusual. Especially since you say that the pics do not do it justice. I think it has lovely proportions, and given its spreadi-ness, that color is amazing. That ‘wow’ factor is something one has to pay for. The thing about jade is... there are many experts, but at some point, one has to trust one’s aesthetic and gut. It’s highly individual gemstone.
In terms of absolute value, this is hard to say. Over and out.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Overpriced maybe, but different markets demand different prices and unfortunately for us in the west, we are at a disadvantage. If you can negotiate, that would be ideal. Prices are only what one is willing to pay ultimately. I think it’s stunning , beautiful and soulful. To my eye, ( just my humble opinion here) it has that ‘wow’ factor, which is quite unusual. Especially since you say that the pics do not do it justice. I think it has lovely proportions, and given its spreadi-ness, that color is amazing. That ‘wow’ factor is something one has to pay for. The thing about jade is... there are many experts, but at some point, one has to trust one’s aesthetic and gut. It’s highly individual gemstone.
In terms of absolute value, this is hard to say. Over and out.

True. If I like I buy, as long as not burning a hole in my pocket.

I have seen people claiming theirs to be imperial green and yikes:eek2:! So all very subjective. I love this one and this is great colour:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: and texture for me. This piece has the everything abstract that comes together to make it perfect. For me anyway, if I am not looking at price. Next one I buy, I want like this one.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. If I like I buy, as long as not burning a hole in my pocket. Who cares what others think? This piece has the everything abstract that comes together to make it perfect. For me anyway, if I am not looking at price.
Exactly. Me too. It’s special. How many special pieces do we really see, even in the high quality pieces? Not many.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz @AV_ @icy_jade @Burmesedaze @ChaiK thank you so much for all your wonderful input. You have given me lots of food for thought. =)2

When we saw this stone we finally understood what all the jadeite fuss is about, the color and glow was like nothing we had seen before. Unfortunately I suspect that having seen the real McCoy, there will be no going back to the second rate junk that floods the US market. :eek2:

The stone does have that "wow" factor, DW took it to the other side of the room and I could still see the bright green glow! At 21.9x16.4x7.9 it is big, probably bigger than we need or want, but it's the only stone we've seen of this quality in over a year of looking, and it's available, so it definitely has that going for it!!! I agree, given @Burmesedaze very valid comments, it's likely overpriced even for the US market, and DW thinks we would definitely need a lower price to justify a purchase.

I am so jealous when @Burmesedaze and @ChaiK tell us what kind of pricing they can find for top quality jadeite in the Asian market. It makes @suzanne2 's idea of a PS jadeite buying trip look really attractive! ;)2;)2;)2

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
69780903_2432508256965458_7844662825891921920_n.jpg

NOT from YY. I got them off another seller in Jie Yang. I am so pleased. Cost me not too much too!

He is also on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100025621895037

But I liaised with him via wechat. You need to bargain and check setting costs carefully. Other than that, it was an easy transaction and much better workmanship.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

NOT from YY. I got them off another seller in Jie Yang. I am so pleased. Cost me not too much too!

But I liaised with him via wechat. You need to bargain and check setting costs carefully. Other than that, it was an easy transaction and much better workmanship.
Wow! Look at that colour, there's lavender and there's LAVENDER!!!

They look fabulous, can we look forward to ear shots? =)2

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Look at that colour, there's lavender and there's LAVENDER!!!

They look fabulous, can we look forward to ear shots? =)2

@prs , for every jadeite piece you want to buy, you get one that glows in colour. I love the green one you picked out. That glows. However I have since looked at Mason Kay's online store and I think it really is severely overpriced.

I think it all also depends on your comfort zone. I am happy with the Hong Kong Lab Certificate they issue, since I have seen these certificates at the Singapore or HK Jewellery fairs. I am not going to pack my bags and run to Jie Yang or go with anyone to buy jadeite. To busy for that. I am happy to pay 10% to someone in Jie Yang to get the jadeite for me. I speak the language and I suppose I must trust the person and there is that element of risk I am comfortable with, which I understand you may not be.

Am going to GCS in Mayfair to check these earrings out anyway. The vendor guaranteed a full refund within 3 months, so I am happy with that too.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely! I love:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:. But the price tag is huge. I paid less around 5k usd for mine. But mine is smaller at 18 mm by 13 by 7.8 mm high. I love the colour of this one you picked out. I think the colour is excellent because of the amount of chromium in this one so it has that glow. I am unable to see how high -domed this one is. So I can't comment on spread or height. I also think the camera may have picked up on and amplified its patchiness and that in person, the colour is not that patchy (even if it has that slight tendency). I am not sure if your camera has amped up the green. With mine, what you see, is what it is. I go for colour. There are many different types of jadeite and this type I like best. I see excellent colour, great texture and it is not full of veins or lines.

Just the price tag. Because I am now buying elsewhere, I believe this one is overpriced.
@ChaiK I'm glad you and @Burmesedaze mentioned the dome. I asked the vendor to send me photos showing the dome, and unfortunately it does look a little flat:

B 301 Jade 5.jpeg B 301 Jade 6.jpeg

@ChaiK and @Bluegemz does the flatness change your opinion and make it a no buy, or just a good reason to negotiate the price much lower? It would still be a lot of money at $15K.

Reactions: AV_

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK I'm glad you and @Burmesedaze mentioned the dome. I asked the vendor to send me photos showing the dome, and unfortunately it does look a little flat:

@ChaiK and @Bluegemz does the flatness change your opinion and make it a no buy, or just a good reason to negotiate the price much lower? It would still be a lot of money at $15K.

I would not even pay 15K USD for this. The high dome is a must for me.

Colour

Dome

any clouds or cotton or stone lines or cracks

These three things. I don't mind if not translucent. I am of the colour-colour-high-domed-no-clouds-no-cracks school of thought. The Nong, the Cui and the Yang green or whatever green, I have no idea of. There are many kinds of jadeite and you gradually develop a taste for what you like. I just know that certain elements come together to make the jadeite attractive to me, and I would want to buy it if price is right and most importantly, that glow that I do not know how to define (with the certification of course) is there. Oh, and plus the guaranteed full refund if it tests funny here.

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

My original amateur appraisal and views still stand. One develops a mental and visual checklist to look out for after a while. It looks a nice spicy green in the latest photos, still appealing colourwise.

Dome is about proportions and that affects the lustre and look. Same for bangles too, on thickness.

Flattish vs good rounded proportions, there is a big price difference.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, I’m the odd one out here. I really love the dome on it. Maybe because my star sapphire ring has similar, Art Deco proportions. I love the setting with the shape. It just works. Now, I love high domes too, but NOT always and I don’t think that only high domes are beautiful with jade cabs, especially if the color and glow is happening. I really can’t comment on price though.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
As you can see, it’s all personal preferences. I did say I don’t like cotton. I absolutely abhor it. But a while back, I bought a pair of cabs with mild cotton at the side. Because the colour is very green and saturated and glows and you could barely see the cloud. Or a pair of fish. It has a fine bulging vein. I kept it anyway. Because it has streaks of green and I like that too. But the price has to be likeable too. I buy elsewhere and for me, 15k usd is still overpriced. All subjective.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful colour @prs and only you can balance out the elements of price, risk and personal taste.

I wasn't going to post this yet but in the spirit of jade rings here is my new cab set as a ring. Just as a point of interest I paid approximately $650 usd for the cab. It is 17 by 12 by 5.

I have no idea how green it'll be and everytime he mails out my stuff I get an ulcer (vendor is lovely, it's the postal system that stresses me out) but at 650usd I'm happy to take on some risks.

20190910_093007.jpg received_2437358546586978.jpeg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been absorbing all your valuable comments. I always thought myself a quick study but, after reading this thread for over a year now, I can't believe I completely missed the importance of dome height. :oops: This buying of top quality jadeite is indeed a mine field, but thank goodness I have my jade friends here to guide me through unscathed!!! :D

Well at least now DW and I have seen what jadeite with fantastic color and glow can look like. There can be no going back now!!! We agree with @Bluegemz the stone is still very attractive, but there is no sense paying much too much for this stone when another one of even better quality will eventually come along at the right price!

I might even break down and open facebook and instagram accounts just so I can see what you guys are doing in the Asian markets!!! :eek2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful colour @prs and only you can balance out the elements of price, risk and personal taste.

I wasn't going to post this yet but in the spirit of jade rings here is my new cab set as a ring. Just as a point of interest I paid approximately $650 usd for the cab. It is 17 by 12 by 5.

I have no idea how green it'll be and everytime he mails out my stuff I get an ulcer (vendor is lovely, it's the postal system that stresses me out) but at 650usd I'm happy to take on some risks.

20190910_093007.jpg received_2437358546586978.jpeg
Hi mellow, thanks for posting your new ring for me to see. If it turns out to be anything like the second photo you will have made the jade score of the century!!!

The first photo is why I've been leery of buying stuff directly off the internet. We are only a two and a half hour drive from LA and I've seen enough gems in person vs their on-line photos to know most photos are not true to life. Sometimes the gems are much better than the photos, and sometimes not. My policy is if we can't see a gem in person then a good return policy is essential.

Of course, in the case of your ring, at that kind of price the risk reward is very much in your favour. You would only need to hit one out of four and you would still be a big winner!!!! More food for thought. :???:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs I'm super curious to see how it stacks up against my other ring which I paid significantly more for. Like a lot more!

I don't know whether I want it to be better or worse to be honest :lol:

It's not back covered (I loathe back covering) so it'll be warts and all. In any case the texture is lovely and it's a good vessel for the setting. Haha I so badly wanted that setting done :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

ChaiK, your jeweler's facebook link isn't working for me.

Just to give you some idea of what we are up against here in the USA; that ring with the flat dome just sold at auction today for USD $22,575 including buyer's premium. :eek2::eek2::eek2: I was definitely not the buyer, but DW did win a rather nice consolation prize. =)2

South Sea and Tahitian Baroque Pearl Necklace.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Here are his WeChat details. I bought the purple cabs from him. Then I asked him to set.

mmexport1568189930247.jpg

Charlessoads

Rough_Rock
I have attached a chart that I downloaded a while ago that has a chart of various alloys and their specific gravity. I have the full article if anyone is interested. I think this originally came from the Cast Bullet Organization.

Code:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
So this is how it went. I was looking for lavender. I saw this jadeite guy on Facebook. He has a WeChat ID. I added him on wechat. We went through a few cabs. Here they are.

mmexport1568190915582.jpg mmexport1568190953391.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093617_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093631_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093651_WeChat.jpg

After several videos, pictures and questions, I chose the pair. He shone lights on all of them to look for lines beneath. And he advised which to pick.

After that, I sent him a design. I asked him to set. He made a drawing.
mmexport1568190357557.jpg

This isn't the finalised drawing because I changed diamond sizes (I dislike 5 li) and also asked him to tweak the bow somewhat. I cannot find final drawing. Too lazy to hunt. We then discussed weight of gold, diamond quality. How many diamonds. Cost of each diamond. Cost of gold. Type of gold. Workmanship costs. And we arrived at an approximate figure from which I bargained. I also made him agree in writing his returns refund policy - I said absolutely not buying if he would not agree to 90 days. He thought over it for a day or two and then said ok. I would say the workmanship is very good. I told him I did not want a lot of gold showing and he did his part. It also helps the whole thing is in white gold.

One thing he did was to tell me gold was 234 rmb but he charged me 254 rmb in the end. I queried and he explained that gold prices had risen. I paid the difference anyway and did not want to quibble with him. Also, he did not charge me postage which came up to 280 rmb for him. So all squared up.

And then he did his part. And I paid first for the cabs. He went to get certification from the Hong Kong labs. And when all work was done, I paid for the setting and he sent to me.

It was all in Mandarin. I had improved so much in my Mandarin after all the LS shows and buying with YY that I managed it all without sending him gibberish. Well at least the earrings look like how I want them to look.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
His refund and full returns guarantee is based on my being able to obtain certification within that period to ascertain that the product is Grade A jadeite. If I cannot provide certification as proof, he will neither return nor refund. Just to clarify.

Reactions: prs
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results