prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Came across another bangle with no cert, but it does come in a very nice box. =)

Bangle 1.jpg Bangle 2.jpg Bangle 3.jpg

By any chance could the writing on the box indicate the bangle might be from a reputable source?

I like white nephrite. So cool and waxy and pure. Like a piece of mutton fat. I love them. But you should not over pay for them. I would say, around 6800 rmb. This is based on Wechat.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs I'd guess the bangle is Bowenite - Faberge failed to make it famous WWW etc. & now NZ is trying WWW

To this day I do not know what is & what is not considered black jadeite - there must be a G&G article somewhere; some very beautiful, very glassy, very dark green or bluish green material used to be somewhat under debate & I am not sure where it all went (debate & black jadeite too). The price & future expected value of the necklace must have something to do with this wavering name-calling of rocks...

2c

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs I'd guess the bangle is Bowenite - Faberge failed to make it famous WWW etc. & now NZ is trying WWW

To this day I do not know what is & what is not considered black jadeite - there must be a G&G article somewhere; some very beautiful, very glassy, very dark green or bluish green material used to be somewhat under debate & I am not sure where it all went (debate & black jadeite too). The price & future expected value of the necklace must have something to do with this wavering name-calling of rocks...

2c
Thanks for the info, I'm going to send the black bead necklace to GIA and see what they come up with. :eek2:

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs

This is the latest thing on this black nomenclature I know of:

Franz, Leander, Tay Thye Sun, Henry A. Hänni, Christian de Capitani, Theerapongs Thanasuthipitak, Wilawan Atichat, T. T. Sun, H. A. Hänni, and C. De Capitani. "A comparative study of jadeite, omphacite and kosmochlor Jades from Myanmar, and suggestions for a practical nomenclature." J. Gemmol 34 (2014): 210-229.

Pdf Download

The jade market keeps telling me that my taste is obscure at best & mostly worthless - so I have stopped paying attention.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs

This is the latest thing on this black nomenclature I know of:

Franz, Leander, Tay Thye Sun, Henry A. Hänni, Christian de Capitani, Theerapongs Thanasuthipitak, Wilawan Atichat, T. T. Sun, H. A. Hänni, and C. De Capitani. "A comparative study of jadeite, omphacite and kosmochlor Jades from Myanmar, and suggestions for a practical nomenclature." J. Gemmol 34 (2014): 210-229.

Pdf Download

The jade market keeps telling me that my taste is obscure at best & mostly worthless - so I have stopped paying attention.
Thanks AV_ I did read the article and am now even more convinced, when it comes to jade, ignorance is bliss! :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on this carved jadeite crane pendant. No cert but good price.

Caved Jade Crane Pendant 3.jpg Caved Jade Crane Pendant 4.jpg

62mm diameter, 28grams. Would anybody carve something this intricate in anything other than Type A material?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

62mm diameter, 28grams. Would anybody carve something this intricate in anything other than Type A material?

Yes. Plenty in river stones, agate etc.

This may actually be nephrite. Can't really tell.

Reactions: prs

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Sure. And the bail looks discolored so maybe is not gold... the Chinese love their high karat gold so I’ll examine the bail more closely.

Will suggest passing unless the price is negligibly cheap and/or you really love it. The discolored parts bother me too.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Pass on it. Even if cheap.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs Just try livestream!

Try one inexpensive pendant, send it to GIA and see how you go!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Just. I think. Not YY. I feel, there are better more simple honest vendors. YY plays price games and I am quite tired of it. Plus. If you start to accept her shoddy workmanship, she has zero qualms about selling you at high prices, whacking an extra 300 RMB on setting costs ( I queried and she reduced bill) and then sending you crap work. I post picture. You can see and learn.

Stressful buying from her. No pictures. You practically have to beg. And you have to ask so many questions. She does not state. Feels like talking to Yoda at times.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Missing diamond. And the unevenness. It has nothing to do with the uneven shape of the flower. I saw someone else's pictures of similar rings and it was not like that. I had to really argue before she said she would repair it. And even then, I have this feeling she will charge me postage to return it.

No more buying from her. I found other vendors. If you want, I can show you his shows.
mmexport1564757838314.jpg mmexport1564757831329.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
And. Just want to add this is not the only shoddy piece. And not the only instance of poor service. Instructed her on 0.05 carat diamonds. Got charged for that size. But I believe, it looks the same as my 0.03 carat ones. Long list of inconsistencies. Yes, I did buy ok items from her. But that is to be expected. You don’t go in to a shop, pay for a cake, and then thank your lucky stars the product was as expected. You expect a proper cake. Not missing cream, overpricing, and rancid icing. I am too tired to rant. I just want to move on.

Last edited:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK,

Not missing cream, overpricing, and rancid icing. I am too tired to rant. I just want to move on.

Dear heart, I know you are too tired to rant, but that was an awesome rant! I hate to say it, but I enjoy both your ups and your downs (except when you go away...) The cake analogy is tooooo funny!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:lol::lol:not cross anymore. Eating proper good cake too! Post pictures later.

Oohhhhh. Suzanne, I oogling at your diamond bracelet project. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol::lol:not cross anymore. Eating proper good cake too! Post pictures later.

Oohhhhh. Suzanne, I oogling at your diamond bracelet project. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
I'm so glad you are feeling happy today, that was quite a rant! It's always good to get feelings like that off your chest and out in the open.

If YY reads your post she'll never, ever be able to eat cake again without thinking of you!!! :lol::lol::lol:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you are feeling happy today, that was quite a rant! It's always good to get feelings like that off your chest and out in the open.

If YY reads your post she'll never, ever be able to eat cake again without thinking of you!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hehe:mrgreen2::lol-2::P2

But she has already eaten all the cake she wants at my expense. Ergo touché.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs Jade carving gets crazy before it gets fine; I find these spectacular enough WWW &, of course - more - is possible now & nephrite supports finer carving than jadeite at their limit.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If our jadeite experts would be so good as to continue my education :read: =)2 Here is a 12mm necklace in a very light green color

Jadeite Necklace 1.jpg

Close up the beads are translucent but have dark specs.

Jadeite Necklace 2.jpg

Do you think the dark specs are caused by inclusions in the jadeite or are areas of concentrated dye? If natural and not dye, would the beads be considered to have good translucense but poor color?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot see much from the picture. I don’t know the price.

Yes, jade can have inclusions like that. But I don’t know if this is grade A or otherwise. I can’t tell without close ups of the beads. Even then, it is difficult to verify.

The beads have been strung with green string to make it appear more green. Having said that, I would string mine like that to enhance their colour. For me, I find that acceptable after I have bought it. However, when buying, I would want to check colour carefully and would want to be able to see what the beads are really like without this string enhancement trick.

Beads appear small. Below 10 mm? Biggest around 10 mm? But there are very few bugger ones on this necklace. Majority appear well below 10 mm.

For me, if it is above 600 usd, that would be pricey for this type of colour and quality.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an expert. Just I would not pay that much, looking at lessons learnt from past mistakes. And actually, for me, I would not pay more than 400 usd for this type of colour and size.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned that those could also be aventurine which also has those kind of spots and that kind of color. It is often mistaken for jade in estate pieces.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cannot see much from the picture. I don’t know the price.

Yes, jade can have inclusions like that. But I don’t know if this is grade A or otherwise. I can’t tell without close ups of the beads. Even then, it is difficult to verify.

The beads have been strung with green string to make it appear more green. Having said that, I would string mine like that to enhance their colour. For me, I find that acceptable after I have bought it. However, when buying, I would want to check colour carefully and would want to be able to see what the beads are really like without this string enhancement trick.

Beads appear small. Below 10 mm? Biggest around 10 mm? But there are very few bugger ones on this necklace. Majority appear well below 10 mm.

For me, if it is above 600 usd, that would be pricey for this type of colour and quality.
Thank you! I know from your previous lessons to look for areas of dye concentrated in the pores of the jade, but didn't know if jade could have inclusions. If these are natural inclusions I am sure they would decrease the quality and value of the beads. I think you are also correct about the green string trick. OK, another pass!!! :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned that those could also be aventurine which also has those kind of spots and that kind of color. It is often mistaken for jade in estate pieces.
Thank you, I had to google aventurine and yes, this necklace could well be aventurine. Definitely a pass!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I know from your previous lessons to look for areas of dye concentrated in the pores of the jade, but didn't know if jade could have inclusions. If these are natural inclusions I am sure they would decrease the quality and value of the beads. I think you are also correct about the green string trick. OK, another pass!!! :mrgreen2:

No no, don't pass because I said so.

The green string is fine. What you must not do is be fooled into thinking it is more green than what it is and pay more for that more green price. I think, without the, string, it is a pale pale green, almost white. So this kind of beads, not interesting for me. I tend to like pale like this with streaks of green. And because I now buy on LS, I see prices sometimes which are very good and for this type, around 200 usd or even less.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Orange is the new green.....

ChaiK-s spess (2).jpg

Not to hijack the thread but this spess has the perfect color and deserves to be set. =)2

@ChaiK is the stone big enough for a pendant? If so, I see a simple diamond halo and a piece that will draw admiring glances from across the room! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Replying here. Yes. This one next. It is 20 carats . I thought it was 10 carats when I bought it. I had forgotten. But no, I am not a pendant ring fan. It will be a ring. I will update you. I don’t have it here with me. It is with a jeweller in Bangkok who is setting a pearl ring for me. I am all about setting now.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results