shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Whilst we are on a red detour, =)2 I would appreciate your thoughts on this 8ct red spinel. It's in an old estate ring and the cut is definitely not precise, but it's a decent colour, and 8ct red spinels don't come along very often. It will likely cost more than a similar sized rubellite, but way less than a ruby!

Spinel 7.95ct.jpg
@voce

Buy. Wear. Have fun and enjoy. Worry about re-cut later.:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Reactions: prs

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
And this
1574975888905.png
1574975956586.png
1574976000326.png

I want a pair of butterfly and phoenix danglies for my rose gold huggies reminiscent of the poem by Li Bai on the Butterfly Dream 庄 周 梦 蝴 蝶.....万 事 良 悠 悠.....

This is what happens when you buy jadeite online - you start reading Chinese classics too.

I went from zero to my own hero in Mandarin :D

Anyway ,I digress. And this is only in the jade department......so I think I had better stop. Set everything first. And then buy when all is done.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
All true, but your sense of color is second to none! :)

The stone does not have a window and looks fine on DW's finger. The real life color is actually very close to the photo. It does darken up considerably around the perimeter and my thoughts are very much like yours, in that whilst a recut might sacrifice considerable carat weight, it would be worthwhile if the entire stone could be made the same color as the center.

I guess my real question is how good is that center color?
Thank you for having such a high opinion of my sense for color. :oops:I'll try to live up to your expectations. I think that that center color is very ideal, pure red, no pinkish undertones, nor any gray or brown that I can tell if I turn up brightness on my screen. I am wary of studio shots vs how the stone looks in real life, and I wish that more than 1/3 of the stone would show the center color. It's unrealistic to expect even 90% of an elongated stone to show the ideal color in any one moment, but one can hope for 50% or better if the clarity and cut allow.

I purchased this 1.23 ct Mahenge spinel from Africa Gems based on the single vendor picture, which is what I had considered an ideal red on my screen.

1-23-carats-red-spinel-loose-gemstone-in-cushion-cut-medium-red-6-x-5-5-mm-39.jpg
Based on prices at the time, I thought it was a steal considering spinel prices had risen to $1500/ct for "typical" Mahenge spinel, and the vendor picture was a super-saturated color.

When I got the gem in hand, it was noticeably less saturated than that vendor picture but still lovely enough for me to keep. Here it is in my pictures...
695412 695411 695409
It's more pinkish than the vendor photo in person, but not as fluorescent as the pinker Mahenge spinels. However, in the right lighting, it looks close to the vendor photo.

Do you know if the red spinel you're considering is fluorescent? My pet theory is that the redder Mahenge spinels are less fluorescent than pink Mahenge spinels and definitely less fluorescent than the Burmese origin red spinels. I think depending on whether the price is reasonable (I try to never overpay for a gem), the red spinel you're considering could be a stunning piece to add to your collection, though of course only you would know, since you haven't shared pictures of what it looks like on DW!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am on a ban and @mellowyellowgirl is helping me. With good reason to.

This is why:

1574971727157.png

And then

1574972402742.png

And then

1574972455000.png

And then

Jade donuts.png

Which I am setting like this:

1574972598930.png

1574972634368.png

Oh and then

1574972730629.png

And then there are other items too. I bought a pair of aquamarines.

And then Wriston only set one spinel. There are two more spinels and other things.....

1574972792319.png

And some

1574973176764.png

1574973361189.png

So @mellowyellowgirl is right.

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I think my DF is absolutely right in telling me I shouldn't get my ears pierced. I honestly do not think I could resist the types of earrings you have created. I'd definitely be in financial trouble if I started collecting jade, too. Thanks for the eye candy!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: I think my DF is absolutely right in telling me I shouldn't get my ears pierced. I honestly do not think I could resist the types of earrings you have created. I'd definitely be in financial trouble if I started collecting jade, too. Thanks for the eye candy!

I think the issue is that these pieces from and setting in China are at good and reasonable prices. So I end up with a lot of things I would not have ordinarily bought on retail.

In any case, best to stop. And enjoy and appreciate what I have.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

This is why:

1574971727157.png

And then

1574972402742.png

And then

1574972455000.png

And then

Jade donuts.png

1574972598930.png

1574972634368.png

Oh and then

1574972730629.png

And then Wriston only set one spinel. There are two more spinels and other things.....

1574972792319.png

And some

1574973176764.png

1574973361189.png

Just... wow...

I like the fish and spinel ring the most out of the purchases you’ve shown

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for having such a high opinion of my sense for color. :oops:I'll try to live up to your expectations. I think that that center color is very ideal, pure red, no pinkish undertones, nor any gray or brown that I can tell if I turn up brightness on my screen. I am wary of studio shots vs how the stone looks in real life, and I wish that more than 1/3 of the stone would show the center color. It's unrealistic to expect even 90% of an elongated stone to show the ideal color in any one moment, but one can hope for 50% or better if the clarity and cut allow.

I purchased this 1.23 ct Mahenge spinel from Africa Gems based on the single vendor picture, which is what I had considered an ideal red on my screen.

1-23-carats-red-spinel-loose-gemstone-in-cushion-cut-medium-red-6-x-5-5-mm-39.jpg
Based on prices at the time, I thought it was a steal considering spinel prices had risen to $1500/ct for "typical" Mahenge spinel, and the vendor picture was a super-saturated color.

When I got the gem in hand, it was noticeably less saturated than that vendor picture but still lovely enough for me to keep. Here it is in my pictures...
IMG_20191016_102259285.jpg
IMG_20190606_090117872.jpg IMG_20190606_094644199.jpg IMG_20190606_094404303.jpg
It's more pinkish than the vendor photo in person, but not as fluorescent as the pinker Mahenge spinels. However, in the right lighting, it looks close to the vendor photo.

Do you know if the red spinel you're considering is fluorescent? My pet theory is that the redder Mahenge spinels are less fluorescent than pink Mahenge spinels and definitely less fluorescent than the Burmese origin red spinels. I think depending on whether the price is reasonable (I try to never overpay for a gem), the red spinel you're considering could be a stunning piece to add to your collection, though of course only you would know, since you haven't shared pictures of what it looks like on DW!

Ohhh Voce, I will definitely ask you for help on reds. Thank you.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Just... wow...

I like the fish and spinel ring the most out of the purchases you’ve shown

Thank you.

I very happy with Wriston's setting. I will send a couple more items to Wriston for setting.

I might even ask DK to send Wriston the Tanzanite I have been sitting on for ages. I did not quite know what to do with it.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe like my paraiba ring.

The pink neon spinel is a long oval so I think this is a good setting for it. Maybe I will ask for 5 pointer diamonds. See price difference first.

1575043306537.png

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

IMG_20191016_102259285.jpg
IMG_20190606_090117872.jpg IMG_20190606_094644199.jpg IMG_20190606_094404303.jpg

Thank you so much @voce for the education, and your Mahenge is simply gorgeous, what a fantastic find!

I'm feeling more confident about the 8ct, and now it's just a question of seeing if we can get it at the right price.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is why:

1574971727157.png

And then

1574972402742.png

And then

1574972455000.png

And then

Jade donuts.png

1574972598930.png

1574972634368.png

Oh and then

1574972730629.png

1574972792319.png

And some

1574973176764.png

1574973361189.png

And this
1574975888905.png
1574975956586.png
1574976000326.png

I want a pair of butterfly and phoenix danglies for my rose gold huggies reminiscent of the poem by Li Bai on the Butterfly Dream 庄 周 梦 蝴 蝶.....万 事 良 悠 悠.....

This is what happens when you buy jadeite online - you start reading Chinese classics too.

I went from zero to my own hero in Mandarin :D

Anyway ,I digress. And this is only in the jade department......so I think I had better stop. Set everything first. And then buy when all is done.

Talk about shock and awe posts! :o:o:o How can you keep so many beautiful pieces from us for so long and then spring them on us all at once??? :mrgreen2:

So much gorgeous jade, I can't decide which set of earrings I like the best. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I found this in my old room in my parents’ place. Can someone just tell by a glance if it’s a lower grade? :confused: The gold is solid. I wonder if my mom let it stay in the unprotected box because she knew it was cheap?:lol:

Attachments

• DEE79C10-A11F-4A0D-BD28-C021CF5225C7.jpeg
    DEE79C10-A11F-4A0D-BD28-C021CF5225C7.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 130

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I found this in my old room in my parents’ place. Can someone just tell by a glance if it’s a lower grade? :confused: The gold is solid. I wonder if my mom let it stay in the unprotected box because she knew it was cheap?:lol:

So fun. I love finding treasures in the house. Especially money in some old coat pocket:D.

I don't know if treated or not. Can't tell with one look. But have fun with it. Hulus are so cute.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The 8 carat tsavorite with some of my lavenders. I don't know what possessed me to buy the huge lavender cabochon. It is very purple and I do love it. Just, I feel very star trekky whenever I wear it.

lavender bangles.jpg
Lavender bangles 3.jpg
lavender bangles 2.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tsav is AMAZING @ChaiK

Hehe thanks to you I'm rocking the index ring look all the time now!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The 8 carat tsavorite with some of my lavenders. I don't know what possessed me to buy the huge lavender cabochon. It is very purple and I do love it. Just, I feel very star trekky whenever I wear it.

lavender bangles.jpg
Lavender bangles 3.jpg
lavender bangles 2.jpg

Omg love so much

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lavender bangles.jpg
Lavender bangles 3.jpg
lavender bangles 2.jpg

The tsav and the purple lavender cab are magical, but those bangles are very, very nice too!

I bet if you rub that gorgeous cab real hard Scotty might beam you up. =)2

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The tsav and the purple lavender cab are magical, but those bangles are very, very nice too!

I bet if you rub that gorgeous cab real hard Scotty might beam you up. =)2

If only I could have Scotty Scott do that for me at will.....I am a Dr Spock girl though.:kiss2::love:

1576574343421.png

Last edited:
Reactions: prs

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
I've been eyeing on this forum for a while and decided to make an account and drop some early "Christmas" haul that I got from gojade. The middle laughing buddha on the first pic is my favorite due to how icy (crushed ice) it looks, though the seller has said it wasn't icy. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Grade A though since it looks so unique. (But I'll keep it regardless) :D image (1).jpg image.jpg

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been eyeing on this forum for a while and decided to make an account and drop some early "Christmas" haul that I got from gojade. The middle laughing buddha on the first pic is my favorite due to how icy (crushed ice) it looks, though the seller has said it wasn't icy. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Grade A though since it looks so unique. (But I'll keep it regardless) :D image (1).jpg image.jpg

The tea set is so cute

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
The tea set is so cute

I know right? I actually thought it was going to be substantially bigger but I won’t complain. Only real problem was that one of it’s cups were chipped most likely during the making which isn’t a biggie to me.
Also I was snooping around ebay and saw 2 sellers “chenhantaobao97” and “preciousjadeite” and was wondering if any of you jadies had any experience with any of them?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@Maddiewin , I think the flowers can also be bought from this person on Facebok: 曾輝. You have to look him up and friend him on FB - just cut and paste name on FB. You can't miss him - his avatar is that of a watery jadeite dragon or kirin.

I have so far, after a mangled flower from YY and odd pricing from J and another seller in Jie Yang, only bought jadeite from 曾輝.

Good honest vendor and so far the most reliable and consistent in terms of quality and pricing, for me, that is. The donuts, flower earrings, rabbits, purple cabochon, purple donuts, fish and leaves and the yellow butterfly are all from 曾輝.

You have to watch the shows and then hopefully chance upon a flower. They do come and go - all types and sizes. I have not had much luck with the flowers but I seem to encounter lots of fish when I tune in to watch his shows:). You can tell him you are looking for a flower. He will send pictures sometimes and ask you. You can also ask him to source for an item. But he does forget and you have to keep reminding him. He charges a 10% fee for hunting down pieces that you want. I bought the giant purple cab this way, not through the live show. He did send me a picture of this flower here at 1800 rmb, but I have done all my buying for jadeite. Not buying anymore for 2020.

1577213764391.png

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maddiewin

I second @ChaiK's review of this vendor. He really cares about his work and has very high standards. He takes time to think about the little details that I often miss.

Every piece I've had from him has been impeccably made at a very fair price.

I've bought so many pieces from him and would have continued buying if I didn't blow all my money on our new house!

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
@Maddiewin , I think the flowers can also be bought from this person on Facebok: 曾輝. You have to look him up and friend him on FB - just cut and paste name on FB. You can't miss him - his avatar is that of a watery jadeite dragon or kirin.

I have so far, after a mangled flower from YY and odd pricing from J and another seller in Jie Yang, only bought jadeite from 曾輝.

Good honest vendor and so far the most reliable and consistent in terms of quality and pricing, for me, that is. The donuts, flower earrings, rabbits, purple cabochon, purple donuts, fish and leaves and the yellow butterfly are all from 曾輝.

You have to watch the shows and then hopefully chance upon a flower. They do come and go - all types and sizes. I have not had much luck with the flowers but I seem to encounter lots of fish when I tune in to watch his shows:). You can tell him you are looking for a flower. He will send pictures sometimes and ask you. You can also ask him to source for an item. But he does forget and you have to keep reminding him. He charges a 10% fee for hunting down pieces that you want. I bought the giant purple cab this way, not through the live show. He did send me a picture of this flower here at 1800 rmb, but I have done all my buying for jadeite. Not buying anymore for 2020.

1577213764391.png

@ChaiK thank you so much for your guidance. I know there are other novices out there that are glad you wrote this too. The above flower is gorgeous. I will add him today.

Maddiewin

Shiny_Rock
@Maddiewin

I second @ChaiK's review of this vendor. He really cares about his work and has very high standards. He takes time to think about the little details that I often miss.

Every piece I've had from him has been impeccably made at a very fair price.

I've bought so many pieces from him and would have continued buying if I didn't blow all my money on our new house!

@mellowyellowgirl Thank you for your kind advice too. I hope I will be able to show you l, @Burmesedaze and @ChaiK my future finds. Until then I will excitedly look and admire all of your beautiful collection. Now I want colored stones too. Lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results