shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of testing for Covid 19...Have you been tested?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Chris’ oxygen level is 78. I sent my husband over to give him an oximeter I bought just in case we needed it. He needs supplemental oxygen but he won’t go to the hospital. I’m so scared for him..Please say prayers for him if you pray.

I'm so sorry to hear this- sending lots and lots of good thoughts and healing dust.

I don't know if this will help you convince him (hopefully he's already agreed to go), but one of the things our doctor said when my H was diagnosed was that lots of people need supplemental oxygen and the vast majority of them are absolutely fine and that's all the intervention they need. But if you're in any doubt, better safe than sorry. It's a tough virus and the last thing you want is to deplete your body more than necessary- supplemental oxygen will allow his immune system a bit of rest to fortify itself.

I know how scared you must be and my heart goes out to all of you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear this- sending lots and lots of good thoughts and healing dust.

I don't know if this will help you convince him (hopefully he's already agreed to go), but one of the things our doctor said when my H was diagnosed was that lots of people need supplemental oxygen and the vast majority of them are absolutely fine and that's all the intervention they need. But if you're in any doubt, better safe than sorry. It's a tough virus and the last thing you want is to deplete your body more than necessary- supplemental oxygen will allow his immune system a bit of rest to fortify itself.

I know how scared you must be and my heart goes out to all of you.

Thank you @jaaron He said he’s fine except for sleeping so much. I told him he’s probably sleeping so much because he needs supplemental oxygen. He refuses to go. I’m a wreck. He texts and calls me constantly because I know he’s afraid..but he still won’t go. It’s frustrating..

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if he would allow a doctor to make a housecall and bring him oxygen? I'm so sorry to hear this...as a Mom, this would be a nightmare.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @jaaron He said he’s fine except for sleeping so much. I told him he’s probably sleeping so much because he needs supplemental oxygen. He refuses to go. I’m a wreck. He texts and calls me constantly because I know he’s afraid..but he still won’t go. It’s frustrating..

I'm so sorry @MamaBee, I hope he can somehow be convinced to go. I wonder if an ambulance would come to the house if called? But I would think he'd need to be treated for a while for the low oxygen. I'm sorry, I don't know how this all works...keeping you all in my thoughts and I hope he decides to go.

ETA - Maybe you could tell him you're going to call an ambulance if he doesn't go to the hospital? I wonder if there is some kind of hot line you could call for advice. I'm not sure covid patients can just go to an emergency room? The first step might be for him to call his doctor. I am so sorry, and I hope he agrees to treatment soon.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee , i’m so sorry. Can you call the hospital and ask to speak to an emergency room doctor or nurse to see what can be done to help him if he refuses to go to the ER. They may be able to give some helpful advise.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee My sister is a community paramedic and I just messaged her (I hope you don't mind) and told her what you are dealing with. she said "They need to call 911 and have the paramedics come out and talk to him. ". Further, sometimes they will take a patient in if they are deemed not able to make decisions based on lack of oxygen. If not they can try to talk them in and reassure them.
She said, "I would as a paramedic bend over backwards to get that patient to go including using family to try to talk them into it I would access medical control and get doctors on the line. We are tenacious in getting people to go to the hospital." Hope this helps!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee My sister is a community paramedic and I just messaged her (I hope you don't mind) and told her what you are dealing with. she said "They need to call 911 and have the paramedics come out and talk to him. ". Further, sometimes they will take a patient in if they are deemed not able to make decisions based on lack of oxygen. If not they can try to talk them in and reassure them.
She said, "I would as a paramedic bend over backwards to get that patient to go including using family to try to talk them into it I would access medical control and get doctors on the line. We are tenacious in getting people to go to the hospital." Hope this helps!

@moneymeister, thank you for this, good info. @MamaBee, my gut was telling me you should call for an ambulance.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@moneymeister, thank you for this, good info. @MamaBee, my gut was telling me you should call for an ambulance.

Hope it was helpful. My sister has been going into homes with COVID since the very beginning of the epidemic. People don't feel as sick as they are. Some people go into denial, but that is harder to fight when a medic is telling you how sick you are and that you should go.

He can be mad at you all day long when he gets better, Mama :) He'll get over it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, perhaps he can call his doctor through skype or FaceTime? Many doctors are doing that these days. If so, maybe he will listen to doctor about going in.
I’m so sorry you both are going through this. My sister and brother in law also survived Covid and she said her hubby slept a lot! Her hubby is 59 and she herself is in her late 50’s and suffers from high blood pressure and they are both perfectly fine now. Hopefully that is the case for your son.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This!! The paramedics need to be admitted into the house or apartment. They will get him to go! Prayers @MamaBee

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone...I spoke with Chris..I told him that I was going to call the ambulance. He said he would call his doctor. He was able to get a BlueJeans call with him. Chris told him he wasn’t going to the hospital..and what I said about calling the ambulance. He made Chris show him his nails, feet, and gums...He asked him a lot of questions and chatted for awhile. I think he was checking to see how well he was thinking...The doctor basically said to take a little time because he sounded okay for now...and really observe how he’s feeling. The doctor said that the oximeter may not be correct...The ambulance personnel would have to use PPE equipment to get him since he has Covid. If Chris won’t go with them they can’t force him unless he is incoherent or doesn’t make sense. He’s not at that point. Frustrating...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @MamaBee I’m sorry that Chris is being stubborn about getting supplemental oxygen. I too have read the same as Jaaron, and basically the advice was the same, people don’t often realise how ill they are but the pulse oximeter is a good indicator. I hope I’m not frightening you because I know you’re frantic, but maybe just keep at him to get checked out rather than a tele consult.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no @MamaBee I’m sorry that Chris is being stubborn about getting supplemental oxygen. I too have read the same as Jaaron, and basically the advice was the same, people don’t often realise how ill they are but the pulse oximeter is a good indicator. I hope I’m not frightening you because I know you’re frantic, but maybe just keep at him to get checked out rather than a tele consult.

@Austina I’ve been talking and pleading with him non-stop. He’s very stubborn..
I got him a large amount of food and dropped it off at his house. I saw him from afar. He looks terrible. I put together three huge kitchen trash bags of food and drinks for him. There’s only so much I can do..He’s 45 so too old for me to pick him up and bring him myself..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee please tell Chris to try laying on his stomach at least so his lungs can get more oxygen into them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee please tell Chris to try laying on his stomach at least so his lungs can get more oxygen into them.

Thank you @missy I did tell him that yesterday. He’s been doing that. @Slick1 also reminded me about the breathing exercise for Covid patients. I sent that to him too. He said he would do them.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, it's good Chris spoke to a doctor. This is a tough situation, Chris can refuse medical help if that's what he chooses. I know you are very worried and upset, and you are doing all you can. I really hope he changes his mind and decides to get checked out. Hang in there (((hugs)))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, it's good Chris spoke to a doctor. This is a tough situation, Chris can refuse medical help if that's what he chooses. I know you are very worried and upset, and you are doing all you can. I really hope he changes his mind and decides to get checked out. Hang in there (((hugs)))

Thank you @junebug17 Hugs back

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee so glad he spoke with his doctor. I'll keep praying for your family.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @Bonfire @pearlsngems @moneymeister Chris has been calling me every two hours. He checks his oxygen level and temp with me on the phone ..I make him drink something and have something small to eat. He’s been eating tomatoes and grapes. He ate a small turkey sandwich even though he didn’t want to. His readings on the oximeter has been 82/83..up from 78 last night. He just took it again.
It was 85...under 100 temp. We’re hoping it’s trending in the right direction.
What’s disturbing is he’s sleeping about 22 hours a day.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness those readings are very low for a pulse ox! Hopefully his doctor will continue to monitor. Prayers for you both!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@moneymeister Thank you for asking your sister. I really appreciate it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Bonfire I agree...I think the doctor thinks the oximeter is wrong. His fingernail and toenail beds are pink. I’m not a doctor but I would feel better if he was seen in person. I get that they don’t want a Covid patient to come in unless he has other symptoms. I wonder how many people recover without knowing what their oxygen levels were during the time they had it.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee Glad it is trending upwards, but I think you're right on the money to stay on it with him. My sister is a great help for us. She was happy to answer questions.

Poor Mama though, this is tough.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, I'm glad Chris is heading in the right direction and it's good you're keeping in touch with him. I hope you can eat a little, and try to get some rest. Will be keeping all of you in my thoughts. <3

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys..You are the best! His fever broke. 98.6 and 86 oximeter. It was 78 last night..81/83 today..86 tonight..He woke up after I made him eat and drink a little..He said
he feels like maybe he can watch something on tv for a while instead of going right back to bed. Fingers and toes are crossed..

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MamaBee. I wanted to check back in on you all.

I'm sorry it's so scary and he doesn't want to go to the hospital. Can you get your hands on another pulse oximeter? They're pretty flimsy little things so it wouldn't be too surprising if the reading was off.

Does he sound breathless when you talk to him? If not, I suspect the doctor is right.

Honestly, everyone I know who has had it has said the fatigue is indescribable--even watching tv for a bit might knock him out--so I wouldn't worry that he's sleeping too much. As long as he's staying hydrated and eating a bit I think the sleeping is ok.

Also keep in mind that this virus tends to be extremely up and down. If he seems a bit better but then dips again it's a pretty common pattern, not necessarily anything sinister.

Continued good thoughts and healing dust to Chris and the rest of your family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results