shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of yours @Cockatiel?

And the grey ones you have too. I almost messaged JD about a lovely asscher grey spinel but took a moment and decided to calm down as I have enough setting woes as it is. Of course it sold like an hour later!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And the grey ones you have too. I almost messaged JD about a lovely asscher grey spinel but took a moment and decided to calm down as I have enough setting woes as it is. Of course it sold like an hour later!

After I get it recut I will post it. I bought it second hand from a private collector, not a vendor and the stone was damaged so I need to recut it to remove the damage. It's a long story not meant to be posted here. But mine looks not as Vietnamese as the oval I posted. It looks pretty similar to Tanzanian ones. Just slightly better dispersion.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And the grey ones you have too.

I don't have real "grey" spinels because I avoid grey....doesn't work on me. I had a greyish "periwinkle" sapphire years ago and it like destroyed grey for me. Some old pics I found below. I meant greyish when I said grey. These are way too grey for me.

image.jpg
image.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's about $1000/carat so yeah it's not priced cheap. I actually viewed a smaller, similar stone the seller had and was tempted to keep it. The only fault it had was the size as I restrict myself to 7.5mm or bigger stones. I've been wanting a lavender to pink color change color Luc Yen spinel for many years and ended up settling for a violet one instead. Mine was more $ per carat so I definitely overpaid. I am still tempted by the one I posted though!!!!
It is beautiful. I didn’t realize that specific color change from that locale was so rare. If that’s exactly what you want and this is the first you’ve seen after a very long search, then get it. I have noticed that no matter what color they are, Vietnamese spinels commands high price. I have a purple to pink color change spinel from ArtCutGems, but it’s from Sri Lanka.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ! But seems slightly expensive no for an SI garnet? I feel many garnets are overpriced in general but maybe it's just me !

Yes $$$ for a garnet. It's a mahenge garnet and I noticed the lighter color mahenge garnets often have those inclusions scattered throughout. I am guessing the pic shows its "peach" side and it shifts under incandescent lighting. But I agree garnets are $$$ these days.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I'm amazed at how long this emerald cut blue sapphire has been available from Jeff White. I'm still a relative newbie to the sapphire world, but it looks gorgeous to me. I always go back to his page from time to time to see if someone snapped it up. I suppose it's not THE most saturated blue, but I still love the color, it's unheated, and seems a fair price for that size.

SAP205b.jpg SAP205f.jpg SAP205hand.jpg SAP205s.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm amazed at how long this emerald cut blue sapphire has been available from Jeff White. I'm still a relative newbie to the sapphire world, but it looks gorgeous to me. I always go back to his page from time to time to see if someone snapped it up. I suppose it's not THE most saturated blue, but I still love the color, it's unheated, and seems a fair price for that size.

I have also often looked at that one and love the colour and top view. It looks very deep in the pavilion in the side view though? I assumed it could cause problems on setting, especially as personally I like very low set stones. Not sure if that’s true though - I haven’t enquired re depth as I’m not in the market at the moment (I’ll keep repeating that to myself!).

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I have also often looked at that one and love the colour and top view. It looks very deep in the pavilion in the side view though? I assumed it could cause problems on setting, especially as personally I like very low set stones. Not sure if that’s true though - I haven’t enquired re depth as I’m not in the market at the moment (I’ll keep repeating that to myself!).

That's the only thing I noticed as well. You wouldn't want to set it and have it look like a Ring Pop! Maybe if you set it deeper into a band, so that the shank is taller and wider to accommodate? I'm not sure how that affects light performance. Something sort of like this so the stone isn't sticking out so high. 82-ctw-deep-channel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-bbr422.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hobbitfancier55 That Jeff White sapphire is a lovely color. I don't think that emerald cuts are as popular as ovals and rounds. And as @lissyflo said maybe the depth is a concern for some people.

I do like the setting you posted, I bet it would look great in that.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone actually purchased from this vendor? I wonder about their cutting and how closely their photos are to the actual color of their stones. I really like the violet in this blue sapphire.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/220131640/207-carat-unheated-blue-sapphire-agl?ref=shop_home_active_51

2.07 ct unheated blue sapphire with an AGL report 6.61 X 6.52 X 5.46MM $1975.50 on sale
il_570xN.896072438_qp0l.jpg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice - not cheap but unheated, AGL gem brief, 2 ct + and a nice shape and color ( like the violet too).

Hope nobody will snap it. I have no experience with this vendor.

PS: faceup is a bit small... or good depth ;-)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice - not cheap but unheated, AGL gem brief, 2 ct + and a nice shape and color ( like the violet too).

Hope nobody will snap it. I have no experience with this vendor.

PS: faceup is a bit small... or good depth ;-)

I keep repeating "I'm not in the market for a blue/violet sapphire right now." as needed. But I do wonder about this vendor for future possible purchases. :twisted2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone actually purchased from this vendor? I wonder about their cutting and how closely their photos are to the actual color of their stones. I really like the violet in this blue sapphire.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/220131640/207-carat-unheated-blue-sapphire-agl?ref=shop_home_active_51

2.07 ct unheated blue sapphire with an AGL report 6.61 X 6.52 X 5.46MM $1975.50 on sale
il_570xN.896072438_qp0l.jpg

I purchased a mahenge spinel from him a few months back. I found his pics to be pretty close (certainly a lot better than some of the other vendors I've seen). He was also very nice to deal with. He even extended the return period so I could view it under all lighting situations (it rained here for a week solid).

Let me see if I can find some pics.

Vendor pic
IMG_2136.JPG

My pics
IMG_1910.jpg
20170925_111455.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS @elle_71125 You got a gorgeous stone and great comparison photos.

I've put them in my Etsy favorites for possible future buys.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty stone, but with such a high crown and deep pavilion, it must face up very small for the carat weight. Maybe that's what's turning people off. Sapphires are very dense to begin with, so they already face up small for their carat weight.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased a mahenge spinel from him a few months back. I found his pics to be pretty close (certainly a lot better than some of the other vendors I've seen). He was also very nice to deal with. He even extended the return period so I could view it under all lighting situations (it rained here for a week solid).

Let me see if I can find some pics.

Vendor pic
IMG_2136.JPG

My pics
IMG_1910.jpg
20170925_111455.jpg

So beautiful. I love the shape of the stone, nearly round oval. Is this one two carat? Does it show some orange under certain lighting?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful. I love the shape of the stone, nearly round oval. Is this one two carat? Does it show some orange under certain lighting?

Yes, this one is 2 carats. It doesn't show any orange tones that I can see. My other spinel does have those orange tones and, I admit, I kind of like them (even if it's not the popular choice). :lol-2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone, but with such a high crown and deep pavilion, it must face up very small for the carat weight. Maybe that's what's turning people off. Sapphires are very dense to begin with, so they already face up small for their carat weight.

I've looked at that Jeff White sapphire numerous times because I am currently in the market for a stone and an emerald cut sapphire is on my list, but every time I look at it, I can immediately find 2-3 comparisons that face up 1+mm longer and wider for a similar price that look like similar colors. Not Jeff White cutting, buuuut that size difference is hard to stomach.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock

I considered it and continue to do so.

But you're right - the longer it stays available the more you wonder why.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait for a good sale!!!

Does he have big sales?

There is a green sapphire I'm eyeing! I hope it goes on sale since I don't think it's a colour people would jump on by my crazy green self thinks it's super pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he have big sales?

There is a green sapphire I'm eyeing! I hope it goes on sale since I don't think it's a colour people would jump on by my crazy green self thinks it's super pretty!

Sometimes, although rarely. Since the stone has been sitting in inventory for quite some time, he may move it at a lower price. One should also note that the saturation of the stone comes from the very deep cutting. The sideview does not show the same strong saturation.

This sapphire would definitely need a custom setting with longer prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results