shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to share this beauty that Chris Auletta is selling. LOVE this stone, and it's surrounded by diamonds. If I could afford any bling right now, it would already be mine!

Here's Chris' description: 2.78ct Greenish-Blue Namibian Tourmaline, Precision-Cut and clean.
Heavy Yellow Gold setting.
.41ctw E/VS1 side diamonds.

22046729_10155692310159354_1463772596517082846_n.jpg 22154578_10155692310169354_2133588710184882150_n.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LD: would you have a link to where he is selling it and the price? ;)2 TIA!

Pretty tourm.

He said he was accepting offers, and mentioned that the ring could fit into the "Under $1250" category. But likely close to that price, given what it is. But granted I didn't get firm with him on cost, since I knew I wouldn't be able to buy anything ATM :) I'd contact him and ask though, especially if you have a price in mind!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I was suggesting you post a link so that anyone who was interested could find it. Where has Chris posted it for sale?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
RUBY1.82_Lamplight_2.jpg

This Sri Lanka ruby is offered on LT for $1365 (unheated 1.82). Looks lovely. Wish I had $$

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RUBY1.82_Lamplight_2.jpg

This Sri Lanka ruby is offered on LT for $1365 (unheated 1.82). Looks lovely. Wish I had $$

IKR, I keep looking at it. I wish I could see it IRL, because I can't really tell what sort of red it is on the monitor and from the problems I have capturing my red and pink stones on different mobile phone cameras, I know it won't be close!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have never seen a ruby from Sri Lanka that looked remotely like this one. Even in the era of Photoshop, I'm skeptical. Does it have a cert?

RWW
For what it's worth, here is the cert attached to the listing. RUBY1.82_Cert.JPG

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Burmadaze,

Sri Lankan rubies are normally of light to medium tone and of what I would term "delicate" saturation no more than medium. That stone looks more like a Burma-type, Burma, Afghanistan...etc. I'm not familiar with the GTC lab, but i didn't notice a country of origin determination.

RWW

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Burmadaze,

Sri Lankan rubies are normally of light to medium tone and of what I would term "delicate" saturation no more than medium. That stone looks more like a Burma-type, Burma, Afghanistan...etc. I'm not familiar with the GTC lab, but i didn't notice a country of origin determination.

RWW

Thanks for the reply, Sagebrush. Would say Afghanistan or Madagascan rubies sell for less than a Ceylon ruby? Is there even any premium associated with a Ceylon ruby?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That paraiba is amazing! Love that, hope someone scoops it up :twisted2:

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice stone, excellent color!

I was in Teofilo Otoni, a small town in Minas Gerais (General Mines), Brazil when the first Paraiba arrived in the market. I recall picking a parcel of 3-4 mm stones. I bought 150 carats of rounds for $30 per carat. I bought a couple of parcels of 1-2 carat ovals. When I asked, the dealer said, "you're not gong to like the price," it was $350.00 per carat. Like the song says: "Those were the days, my friends, we thought they'd never end." It took two years, but by the second Tucson after the strike the price was through the roof.

I believe there is a lesson here.

RWW

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
That Paraiba is insane, but ugh on the price :( Even as lovely as it is, I couldn't spend that much on a sub-4mm size stone. Gorgeous though!

Sagebrush, that story makes me honestly a little nauseous from jealousy :lol:. I got into colored stones around 2012ish and even then I was so envious of those here who had picked up Paraibas and tsavorites and Mahenge spinels for a song. Granted, I bought a few stones myself (a 1.8ish ct Mahenge and a 1.4ish tsav) that have probably gone up in price by a considerable amount since 2012, but still. No huge, cheap Paraibas like some lucky posters here! Sigh.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was in Teofilo Otoni, a small town in Minas Gerais (General Mines), Brazil when the first Paraiba arrived in the market. I recall picking a parcel of 3-4 mm stones. I bought 150 carats of rounds for $30 per carat. I bought a couple of parcels of 1-2 carat ovals. When I asked, the dealer said, "you're not gong to like the price," it was $350.00 per carat. Like the song says: "Those were the days, my friends, we thought they'd never end." It took two years, but by the second Tucson after the strike the price was through the roof.

RWW

Living the dream. I'll try not to die of jealousy...:lol-2:.
I hope you kept a few for yourself. :twisted2:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RWW

Hi @Sagebrush,

It's great to see you posting on PS again. Your book is one that I've read at least 3 times and I've learned a lot from it as I started my gem collection! I had hoped you might go to the show in Hong Kong last month (as I heard that Richard Hughes was also there, autographing copies of his Corundum book). I hope you can make it out to Hong Kong to another show soon!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mochiko,

Thanks for the kind words. The Hong Kong show is really great, better in my opinion than Tucson. Try to get there! Best food town on earth. Problem is books, unlike gems, weigh a ton and airmail shipping costs are very high so its difficult not to loose money. At my age, schlepping books at 40 lbs a case is no fun either. The book is now distributed internationally and I am engaged in writing a novel. Also, a lot of people balk at paying full retail when they can buy Secrets at 30% off on Amazon.

Dick, Hayley Henning and I had a great time winning books at Tucson. AGTA invited us and gave us a booth right at the entrance and I sold out, Dick did too and I enjoyed meeting and socializing with friends.

Dick's book is really comprehensive, but to give you an example of shipping costs, runs $85.00 to have shipped from Bangkok. People ordering my limited edition are paying $80 to have it shipped to Europe. Luckily we still have media mail within the U.S., so we ship it free in the US.

RWW

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Living the dream. I'll try not to die of jealousy...:lol-2:.
I hope you kept a few for yourself. :twisted2:

Elle,
You know, I didn't keep any of the stones. Like the old farmer said: "You don't eat the seed corn." I do have a ring with a 1.5 carat African padparadscha I bought in Nairobi's first gem cutter in the late 80s when tribesmen were still bringing stuff in from the bush asking: "What is this?" The lesson is, ignore the traditional wisdom, if it's beautiful and you can afford it, buy it!

Best,
RWW

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yvonne just posted this crazy bright paraiba tourmaline. It's pretty small at 3.65mm but that color is off the wall. She's selling it at $1,050.
It would fit into her "Lily ring" *hint hint* :lol-2:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/550490922/paraiba-tourmaline-brazilian-paraiba?ref=shop_home_active_1
paraiba 6.jpg

I hope someone buys it because it's tormenting me. :twisted:
It’s pretty, but actually expensive for the size (even for a Brazilian), especially since it’s been heated. The cut looks good though.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chatoyancy,
Virtually all cuprian (copper bearing) tourmaline, regardless of source, (Brazil, Nigeria, Mozambique) is heat treated. The natural material lacks the saturation of hue. The price is based on that assumption.

RWW

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chatoyancy,
Virtually all cuprian (copper bearing) tourmaline, regardless of source, (Brazil, Nigeria, Mozambique) is heat treated. The natural material lacks the saturation of hue. The price is based on that assumption.

RWW
It’s still expensive for the size.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ very pretty pair of Tourmalines though I would certainly not describe them as "Paraiba color" ... I guess that's how he stretches to ask a $350/carat price?

Or do other PSers agree with vendor that these are Paraiba color?

[Based on the post above it seems clear the vendor is NOT representing them as actually Paraiba or even copper bearing.]

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^ very pretty pair of Tourmalines though I would certainly not describe them as "Paraiba color" ... I guess that's how he stretches to ask a $350/carat price?

Or do other PSers agree with vendor that these are Paraiba color?

[Based on the post above it seems clear the vendor is NOT representing them as actually Paraiba or even copper bearing.]

According to me this isn’t Paraiba colour but I didn’t realise 350 per carat is too much for this colour and cut. The pair is altogether 6.8 carats. Is this overpriced ?:oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results