shape
carat
color
clarity

So I need to sell a 7 carat diamond

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond was cut the way it is now because it was the most profitable.
Re-cutting it may decrease its value. Not to mention any up-front cost of re-cutting and re-grading as DS2006 mentioned.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wish I had money to burn. I'd buy it from you, cash, as is, no questions asked...and put her in a custom setting that would compliment each feature she has. Lower color grade or not, she's one hell of a magnificent diamond!
If you recut, OEC/AVR would be the route to take...but you have to weigh the risks...

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd either keep it as it is or recut it into an old cut.

As others have said, this diamond's greatest asset is its huge size; and despite it not being ideal-cut, it's still a magnificent diamond:love:. IMHO, someone (ie. s.o. like me;)2) looking for a (super) ideal cut diamond would more likely be looking for a higher colour, and would be content with a smaller (relatively speaking) size; as they'd be looking for the top-ends of everything within their parameters, budget permitting. Does that make sense? Am not sure I'm making sense, lol.

As for recutting, I'm no expert, but I'd love for that to yield a gorgeous gorgeous OEC, at the expense of loss of weight - as DenverAppraiser has pointed out - and other risks.

Yes you are right. The buyer of this isn't after a GIA perfect specimen, they are after a mega diamond with max bang for the buck. I'm leaning towards keeping as is, but I want to explore every avenue fully.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An update for anyone curious, after a lot of leg work and false starts, I sold the stone for a number in the low/mid 30s to an industry person. I am so relieved to have the deal done.

OMG!! I want to CRY!!;(

If I'd known those were the numbers you were looking at, I'd have happily taken it off your hands for cash. I'd have had recut into an OEC or keep it as is for a while. It'd have made an excellent RHR and I'd have been willing to risk a re-cut, or not - as said. Besides, 8.68ct is an excellent number in the Asian culture!!

Lesson learned! Next time, IF there's a next time, I'll open my mouth and ask!:roll I honestly thought you'd be looking at $80-90k, or close to, since that's what the comps seem to be.

Going off to cry some more!!;(;(;(

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It really sounds like someone got a great deal, I saw the ring on weddingbee and I’m shocked that it went that low. It was such a gorgeous ring and I still wish she had kept in the family

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!! I want to CRY!!;(

If I'd known those were the numbers you were looking at, I'd have happily taken it off your hands for cash. I'd have had recut into an OEC or keep it as is for a while. It'd have made an excellent RHR and I'd have been willing to risk a re-cut, or not - as said. Besides, 8.68ct is an excellent number in the Asian culture!!

Lesson learned! Next time, IF there's a next time, I'll open my mouth and ask!:roll I honestly thought you'd be looking at $80-90k, or close to, since that's what the comps seem to be.

Now I want to cry because we could have admired it here if Phoenix got it!

Glad you are happy though, OP! That diamond looked lovely on you, wish you could have kept it.

Any updates on the sapphire ring?

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG!! I want to CRY!!;(

Aww Im sorry! I would have loved to see it live with a PSer but family wanted a local deal. All of the comps going for 75ish were much better color, M-O, not Q-R. The cash offers from industry folk were all so low, and in the end fam just wanted to get it done and not go on consignment like I would have wanted. So everyone is happy with the mid 30s cash, even though I know we might have gotten 15k + more via consignment.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It really sounds like someone got a great deal, I saw the ring on weddingbee and I’m shocked that it went that low. It was such a gorgeous ring and I still wish she had kept in the family

YOU AND ME BOTH, my lady. There is a ton of other great jewelry from grandma, this piece was just deemed "unwearably big" by MIL and it just wasnt my call. She was about to sell it for 15k which is why I stepped in and took over.

Now I want to cry because we could have admired it here if Phoenix got it!

Glad you are happy though, OP! That diamond looked lovely on you, wish you could have kept it.

Any updates on the sapphire ring?

Its tough because in the end, its worth what someone will pay for it ya know? Even with comps etc. Fam was just too nervous to do a direct to consumer deal, wanted to just take less for more secure deal.

The sapphire ring is being sold. Ill get a pic of it at christmas. There are matching earrings that we are getting made into cocktail rings, one for me one for MIL. To give you an idea of the scale... these earrings are maybe 1/5th the size of the ring!!! it is HUGE.
IMG_6073.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang. 8+ carat VS diamond ring for 30 or so K? Sounds like someone got a good deal.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww Im sorry! I would have loved to see it live with a PSer but family wanted a local deal. All of the comps going for 75ish were much better color, M-O, not Q-R. The cash offers from industry folk were all so low, and in the end fam just wanted to get it done and not go on consignment like I would have wanted. So everyone is happy with the mid 30s cash, even though I know we might have gotten 15k + more via consignment.

It made you and your family happy and that's all that matters.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It made you and your family happy and that's all that matters.

Thank you. Yeah I texted my DH- "maybe we could have done better" etc, and he just reminded me that this was the best actual cash offer we had and a done deal that MIL is happy with is better than a theoretical deal where its hanging over our heads still. So Ill try not to go down that road in my mind too much. UGH.

I will however list the sapphire here in the preloved when its in my possession. I think MIL would be more open to shipping that piece/doing a direct deal.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes the value in terms of time/emotion/hassle is higher than the value in monetary terms, so don't stress too much that you could have got more in different circumstances - what is done is done, you are now free to move on without something hanging over your head, waiting to get sorted!

(I've just gone through the same myself - I had a couple of project items that I was holding on to for literally years while waiting for some money to come my way to get them fixed up, but in the end circumstances forced me to get rid of them :( Am I sad? Yes, but it is a load off the shoulders :) )

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YOU AND ME BOTH, my lady. There is a ton of other great jewelry from grandma, this piece was just deemed "unwearably big" by MIL and it just wasnt my call. She was about to sell it for 15k which is why I stepped in and took over.

Its tough because in the end, its worth what someone will pay for it ya know? Even with comps etc. Fam was just too nervous to do a direct to consumer deal, wanted to just take less for more secure deal.

The sapphire ring is being sold. Ill get a pic of it at christmas. There are matching earrings that we are getting made into cocktail rings, one for me one for MIL. To give you an idea of the scale... these earrings are maybe 1/5th the size of the ring!!! it is HUGE.
IMG_6073.jpg

Post a pic on here of the 8 carat! I was trying to find it on weddingbee again but couldn’t

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow I just read through this thread and what a long journey you had....8+ Ct's for 30k....I had to look outside to make sure that pigs weren't flying!!

Please do post photos of that sapphire....if that earring is ONLY 1/5th the size....I NEED to know what that looks like! (and maybe talk my FI into buying it for my something blue at our wedding :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:)

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Post a pic on here of the 8 carat! I was trying to find it on weddingbee again but couldn’t
pics on page 3

Wow I just read through this thread and what a long journey you had....8+ Ct's for 30k....I had to look outside to make sure that pigs weren't flying!!

Please do post photos of that sapphire....if that earring is ONLY 1/5th the size....I NEED to know what that looks like! (and maybe talk my FI into buying it for my something blue at our wedding :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:)

Im sure the jeweler will flip it for 60-65. I will def post pics of the saucer sapphire.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After seeing the pictures again...just makes my heart flutter

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results