shape
carat
color
clarity

So I need to sell a 7 carat diamond

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In all likelihood if a seller did find a an eBay buyer for it they would be a power seller so $250.
PayPal takes 3%
More likely payment would be by bank wire on a large amount - but I know there are plenty of six figure Amex sales.
Still- I don't think 10% will lure the best sellers. I could be wrong. Happens every day- just ask my wife:)
Seriously I'd guess the most able sellers will ask at least 20%.

I very much appreciate the discussion- it's a learning experience for me too:)

Doesn't eBay now REQUIRE Paypal?

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
That's not exactly what I said. The amount you can sell things for is not a function of 'retail' prices and retail prices can come from all sorts of sources that may or may not be useful. The example I gave earlier is a pretty good example. It's a 7.21/Q-R/VS1/fair and it was sold at retail for $45k 2 months ago. You'd be hard pressed to find a comp for that if you tried. That doesn't mean there is no market. Obviously, there is. Someone paid 45 bills for it, but it would be a problem to go to some jeweler and replace it. That one had a GIA at the time of sale but given that the lab date in only about 6 months before the sale, it surely came about as part of the sales process. We have no clue what the original owner THOUGHT they had before they sent it in. Normally family lore inflates these things and most jewelry store workers have zero experience with this sort of goods. A popular pricing guide with appraisers lists a 7.21/M/VS1 at $85,000+ 'wholesale' for example. (note, there's one in the retail database here for $61k, but that's another story). Mark up that $85k by 50% for 'replacement' price and we're at $128k without even trying. A lot of appraisers will double that wholesale number to get to retail. Is a Q-R worth more/less/equal to an M? That depends on what you want, and they aren't in the database here so it's of no assistance in finding comps. Most people would expect it to be less but, you know, when you NEED one, suddenly prices tend to climb. Is a 'fair' cut a problem? As with the above, for most people, yes, but that's part of why it's so big. Recutting that to ideal proportions would drop the size to 6 carats or so and cost thousands of dollars. That's a bite. Q-R isn't a big seller either way. Is a 6.0 'ideal' Q-R better than a 7.21 fair; enough better to be worth the cost and risk of things not working out to get there? Maybe. Maybe not. The last owner decided not, and I certainly won't second-guess them without more info. That's the sort of question I'm suggesting would be helpful to consult with a pro. We don't know the path that led to their decision to sell it the way they did, only the results. That is not a particularly easy thing to sell and in that probably played a roll in how it ended up at Christies. They're pretty good at selling unusual and expensive things.
Hats off to your expertise.
Sorry the "less than 50%" part is my "quick and dirty" conclusion from reading your posts. I know it was not your words, I shouldn't have made it sound that way. I should have said "after reading your posts, I would not expect to sell my diamond for more than 50% of what a reputable seller typically charges for a similar stone". Just for my own expectation really, I am not trying to advise anyone here :D

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doesn't eBay now REQUIRE Paypal?
Yes sir. Sellers are required to accept it. But buyers are not obligated to use it- much as eBay tries to make that happen.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Alright friends... I have the goods. It is definitely warm, K-M would be my guess. But to my amateur eyes, the cut/polish looks crispy, crazy sparkly with defined white arrows and there are no visible inclusions atleast so yay. Someone will love this rock. Did I mention I'd still happily keep it? ha.

IMG_3175.JPG

(next to my XXX 1.45 H diamond)
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
IMG_3189.JPG
(indoor, florescent light)

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Might take some more pics at lunch :)

Attachments

• IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 21

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh how I would love to play with or keep that!!!! :love:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh-my-Gawwwwdddddd:love::love::love: this is beyond beautiful! Too bad that you can't keep it :blackeye: but someone will certainly be very lucky to have it!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowser, I wish I had a MIL :lol:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief :geek2:

I'm not usually a fan of diamonds that large but it sure looks good on your finger!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It must be torture to have to sell it! Hugs to you!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow, that's amazing. Looking forward to hearing what GIA says.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for coming back to show us the ring. Its HHHUUUGGGEEEEEE!!!! :mrgreen2::appl:

cheers--Sharon

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good grief :geek2:

I'm not usually a fan of diamonds that large but it sure looks good on your finger!

It does from up top but it's so high set and just huge... it'd be just crazy to wear daily!

It must be torture to have to sell it! Hugs to you!

I am having fun owning it for a few nights atleast haha.
Holy cow, that's amazing. Looking forward to hearing what GIA says.

Me too! I will definitely post the report.

It is just a headlight!! So fun... :roll:clap:
IMG_3204.JPG

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omgoodness... today's solar eclipse has nothing on this ring. I had to wear the solar glasses to look at these pics. :cool2::P2

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! No kidding a doorknob. In the best possible way. Wow. And wow.

Now I'm curious about the dinner-plate sized sapphire ...:whistle:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ! I'd need one if it were national costume ....

Selling makes more sense than buying: a kind of alchemy - rock in / rock out - with some murky bargaining inbetween

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SWOON!!! I can't believe she's SELLING that!!! I want to cry!!! :(2
She's BEAUTIFUL!! :love:

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Omgoodness... today's solar eclipse has nothing on this ring. I had to wear the solar glasses to look at these pics. :cool2::P2

lol!
Wow!! No kidding a doorknob. In the best possible way. Wow. And wow.

Now I'm curious about the dinner-plate sized sapphire ...:whistle:

that is next project..... with the proceeds of that we're having two diana/kate rings made of a wearable size....maybe 2 carat equiv. center?

Ha ! I'd need one if it were national costume ....

Selling makes more sense than buying: a kind of alchemy - rock in / rock out - with some murky bargaining inbetween

so murky!

SWOON!!! I can't believe she's SELLING that!!! I want to cry!!! :(2
She's BEAUTIFUL!! :love:

I knowwwww this is the first and last time Ill be the interim owner of a honker like this for sure!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so murky!

'Guess I tend to complicate things like that ...

I wrote 'alchemy' while starting to think of BARTER: honker versus 2 X 2cts uber-bench halo rings; some of David's stock looks as if freshly yanked out of the (older) British crown jewels & freshened up - barely. [haven't added numbers up]

_____
Your story of 7 carat temporary holding makes me want to borrow some such to play with for a month or so - what else does one do with these intriguing things, after all ... WWW

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2::confused::$$):

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It will be ready by 8/30 latest. Very excited to see the report! And start the due diligence of selling... eek! Crossing my fingers for good stats... hopefully not below K-M.... but hey atleast one of the Cs (holy Carat!!!) is pretty extraordinary. :$$)::appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you have it fully insured!! lol

I may have missed it in the thread - are you getting it appraised by an independent appraiser?

I know GIA are effectively an appraiser in terms of the 4Cs, but I was thinking more in terms of market value :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results