carat
color
clarity

So I need to sell a 7 carat diamond

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope you have it fully insured!! lol

I may have missed it in the thread - are you getting it appraised by an independent appraiser?

I know GIA are effectively an appraiser in terms of the 4Cs, but I was thinking more in terms of market value :)

I think I will just compare comps and talk to my probable consignment vendor and any other experts I can. I don't want to get an inflated-for-insurance type of appraisal and then have the fam expecting a 400k payday or something.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You need to post the photos! The ring gorgeous

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I will just compare comps and talk to my probable consignment vendor and any other experts I can. I don't want to get an inflated-for-insurance type of appraisal and then have the fam expecting a 400k payday or something.
@denverappraiser or @oldminer are independent appraisers and would be able to give you a well-reasoned appraisal figure, I'm sure!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix is looking for a honker :mrgreen2: 8.68 might just be big enough :lol:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:Ermergerd -- 13mm!!! Faint!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa momma that thing is huge!!! I'd reach out to BG for a preliminary evaluation on a recut but you'd eventually need to send it in for scanning/further evaluation/projected outcome. Keep in mind that they may not get back to you right away bc of the hurricane.

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whoa momma that thing is huge!!! I'd reach out to BG for a preliminary evaluation on a recut but you'd eventually need to send it in for scanning/further evaluation/projected outcome. Keep in mind that they may not get back to you right away bc of the hurricane.

Ive been banned from shipping it haha. Might make an appointment with @Rhino to see what he has to say, would rather recut locally through GOG if that is even an option.

But really, with the stats Im like... hey fam we wont get that much for this stone. So lets just keep it mmkay? Thanks :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's worthless, tell MIL you'll take it off her hands for 50 bucks :lol:

Sorry it hasn't turned out to be as good as you were hoping, but hoping you can maximise its potential.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IHMO, the stats are not far from the HCA top range [although the score is 5.4] - someone might want to buy for this purpose ... - a question I would keep in mind for the appraiser together with a few more questions about placing the object this way.

Q-R sounds interesting too - for an OEC made in the PS spirit.

I can't take my eyes of that clarity plot: there is just one crystal accounting for the VS2 - the cutest things ... given proper magnification ::)

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a steep deep which makes it ideal for recutting without losing much mm diameter. If you recut for 58table/61.1% depth, 35crown/41pavilion for ideal light performance you'd probably lose (on rough calculations) ~ 0.2carats. This is assuming the stone has perfect symmetry (which we know it doesn't) and not even taking the very thin girdle into consideration.

At this carat weight, light performance is probably a far less important factor for resale value. GIA Excellent loose grading can work to your advantage.

You'll probably have to lose some mm to make the girdle from very thin for it to be graded as a GIA Excellent. The question is would a ~8.3-8.4 carat GIA excellent sell better than a 8.68 GIA good cut (after taking into account the cost of recutting and recertification? No idea, but my gut instinct, probably not.

Bette

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert at all! I am new to learning about things beyond the 4c's, but you mentioned above that there are a lot of size queens around the tri-state area! You never know who may be interested! I think the ring is BEAUTIFUL as is, even with the GIA report. It sparkles and shines in the pics you took both inside and out! I can't imagine what it would look like when professionally photographed. I don't know how it couldn't come off as spectacular, the thing is bigger than an eyeball! Maybe you could try selling it (with a reserve on the absolute least you'd take for it, of course) for about a year before you consider recutting it. Or keep it! I gotta believe there are people out there with money, maybe someone who just sold a business or made a killing on a deal that don't research purchases like this too in-depth and want to get a big honkin' sparkler for their wife or significant other. Maybe I just live in a area where when people make a big killing at the end of the year, dropping 100 or 150K on a the latest, greatest sports car or tesla happens all the time without much thought other than, "I did well and I want something to show off." I'm not talking about taking advantage of anyone, but I've got to believe you can sell it for more than 45 or 50K (per that 7 carat auction ring linked in previous page).
Whatever you decide to do, it's gorgeous!

Last edited:

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IHMO, the stats are not far from the HCA top range [although the score is 5.4] - someone might want to buy for this purpose ... - a question I would keep in mind for the appraiser together with a few more questions about placing the object this way.

Q-R sounds interesting too - for an OEC made in the PS spirit.

I can't take my eyes of that clarity plot: there is just one crystal accounting for the VS2 - the cutest things ... given proper magnification ::)

I was thinking OEC too... but that would probably be too much of a recut undertaking I would think because of the high crown. Can you believe save for that bebe crystal its essentially IF?! What a quaint little inclusion plot, indeed.

thanks for you input @gm89uk . Im thinking with all the cost, risk, time involved in the recut its probably not the first route but Ill still do the research on that front

@Bette I am indeed looking for size queens with cash to burn. That is exactly the buyer that would get so much joy from this honker, and tri-state does have plenty of "more is more" types! And youre right, in person it does look fabulous! Warm for sure, but so sparkly and alive. Not some frozen ball of spit or anything like that. It would make someone (me!) very happy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking OEC too... but that would probably be too much of a recut undertaking I would think because of the high crown. Can you believe save for that bebe crystal its essentially IF?! What a quaint little inclusion plot, indeed.

It would be good fun to hear what @Rhino might say about such transformation ... Methinks: a 'transitional' profile would not be taxing weight along with Ideal-izing the proportions [also thinking of the thin girdle detail]. The finer point is playing cut & colour ... rather mysterious to me [stab in the dark: BIC potential - rather the opposite of high-crowned-ness, but certainly done among old brilliants & nice with the broad faceting ... gives an interesting contrast pattern, harlequin-esque ...].

Truth be told, I am somewhat indifferent to what happens with the extra carats beyond 5; the more the better - but on an almost flat courve of emotion ... easily beat by any added interest by cut. If prices also work this way - dunno.

Pipe dream !

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I kind of suspect that the diamonds greatest asset is pure size, weight and face. The great clarity is a bonus. I would vote to leave it as it is.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The next stop is at your appraiser's office since you didn't go there first or with whoever you plan to use to sell it. Didn't you mention an intention to consign it somewhere?

I will be surprised if it makes sense to recut this. Cutting a Euro out of it is an interesting idea and I would discuss that at the next stop, but it'll cost you quite a bit in terms of weight and fees. Cutting for optics strikes me as a difficult sell because of the color. An ideal cut Q/R-VS isn't a particularly easy thing to sell.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a quick survey on 1stDibs ... it seems that nobody wants to call such colour grades by name ! [CRIME- IHMO] BUT, there are a couple of solitaires with large round brilliants for which 'low'-er colour grades are admitted as having been determiend 'in-house' rather than via some lab or other.

This comes closest to what you have - WWW 8.23ct N/VS 'in-house' [NOP(e) ... QR !]

It is quite easy to survey all other possibly comparable items - only the first few pages of listings are relevent ... I am expecting 1stDibs to carry the usual tag bias of overly public fare.

Good luck !

______

Ps. I'd say that the Q-R pedigree needs proper expert explaining & placing ... The world of difference between the J K L M & the rest of the unpronousceable colour grades between those & 'Fancy' ... I do not understand & there is obviously some market perception that needs understanding

Last edited:

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This one is a bit smaller but same clarity. Higher in color and better cut though. $88k: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...m-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2644328
From a quick survey on 1stDibs ... it seems that nobody wants to call such colour grades by name ! [CRIME- IHMO] BUT, there are a couple of solitaires with large round brilliants for which 'low'-er colour grades are admitted as having been determiend 'in-house' rather than via some lab or other.

This comes closest to what you have - WWW 8.23ct N/VS 'in-house' [NOP(e) ... QR !]

It is quite easy to survey all other possibly comparable items - only the first few pages of listings are relevent ... I am expecting 1stDibs to carry the usual tag bias of overly public fare.

Good luck !

______

Ps. I'd say that the Q-R pedigree needs proper expert explaining & placing ... The world of difference between the J K L M & the rest of the unpronousceable colour grades between those & 'Fancy' ... I do not understand & there is obviously some market perception that needs understanding

thanks for the research! Yes Q-R is a grey area it seems... the yellow tint could be played up in a lovely way IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read all the comments, but I absolutely would not recut into a modern round brilliant with that color. It would be a beautiful OEC/AVR and lower colors are much more accepted in antique cuts. There would be upfront cost to recut before you could sell it, but a smaller, better cut stone would probably find a buyer more easily than the way it is now. See what Jonathan says. Should be interesting!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd either keep it as it is or recut it into an old cut.

As others have said, this diamond's greatest asset is its huge size; and despite it not being ideal-cut, it's still a magnificent diamond:love:. IMHO, someone (ie. s.o. like me;)2) looking for a (super) ideal cut diamond would more likely be looking for a higher colour, and would be content with a smaller (relatively speaking) size; as they'd be looking for the top-ends of everything within their parameters, budget permitting. Does that make sense? Am not sure I'm making sense, lol.

As for recutting, I'm no expert, but I'd love for that to yield a gorgeous gorgeous OEC, at the expense of loss of weight - as DenverAppraiser has pointed out - and other risks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results