shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much! Tho gives me a better idea. That's not unlike prices I'm seeing, but again, I've not seen more than a couple of "yellow" stars which are less yellow than those.

I went around the other shops today and there were a few smaller and fainter yellow ones, opaque and lacking even colour. They are truly scarce :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm intrigued by this "Star of Jupiter ", which is a 75 carat, 200 year old, Sri Lankan star. It emerged out of a family collection and is most likely now been sold. Beautiful!

IMG_3681.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the only transparent yellow star sapphire that I've found, in this pendant with other stars. It doesn't have a clear star, but beautiful color and transparency......

IMG_3704.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few interesting ideas for making beautiful jewelry out of smaller stars. This bracelet is so beautiful! Also, I love the different sized ovals and circles in the ring. Finally, using complimentary stones such as the yellow diamonds with the lavender star really brings out the color.

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jean Harlow in "Reckless." What a star sapphire!
reckless.jpg
Wow! It's HUGE! Do you know if this was one of hers or was it apart of the movie set jewelry? I love theglamor of that time!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am sure some mobster gave it to her. Most of the gems she wore in movies were hers.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found this FABULOUS picture! I had to share....truly, if I had this many stars, I'd wear them like this! They look fantastic together. Those purple ones are beautiful.
Which would you choose if you could pick just one? I think I would pick the lavender one on her middle finger, next to the ring finger with 2 rings on it.

IMG_3785.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update, I was suppose to receive my new star ring today by FedEx, but they had a big problem and now it has to be sent back and re routed because I left for vacation. So I'll get it next Thursday. I cannot describe how disappointed I am! Another WEEK!! Ugh.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My 5.2ct star sapphire necklace. Set in PT900, diamond weight 0.91ct. On the top of my head, this is my only star corundum.

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG
That star sapphire looks like it has great clarity and a nice star.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
OMG it is so beautiful! And it looks divine with your other star and your blue Jade bangle! Well with waiting for.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG it is so beautiful! And it looks divine with your other star and your blue Jade bangle! Well with waiting for.
Thank you so much! I m in love! I'm going to be wearing all of these together for quite some time.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The interesting thing about this ring is the claw prongs! They come up, off the stone and grip it only at the tips. It's a very dramatic look!
The other thing is that the design with the diamonds around the base , the diamonds reflect light and there are rainbows from all angles pouring into the stone, so it's like a star on top of rainbows.

IMG_3905.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to capture the star, but it's hard to do so and the pics don't capture the strength of the star...but here goes. Also, what's really unique is that the star is blue colored rather than white.

IMG_3915.JPG IMG_3918.JPG

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz Oh my. That last photo! I can't even! Do you spend all day looking at your hand? I would. More pictures!

On a side note I have been reading up on another 1930's actress, Lilyan Tashman. She wore two star sapphires on one finger. Why not? It appears one was a light blue and one darker with diamonds. @
c9f15339b5d326fa449df43d41aa8a2b.jpg
d315c2ad76886e1ad812c5b5adf658a5.jpg
e0b86ccc120a9f4a1aef61a126f0b123.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz Oh my. That last photo! I can't even! Do you spend all day looking at your hand? I would. More pictures!

On a side note I have been reading up on another 1930's actress, Lilyan Tashman. She wore two star sapphires on one finger. Why not? It appears one was a light blue and one darker with diamonds. @
c9f15339b5d326fa449df43d41aa8a2b.jpg
d315c2ad76886e1ad812c5b5adf658a5.jpg
e0b86ccc120a9f4a1aef61a126f0b123.jpg

Thank you Vedper! I've been staring at it pretty much non stop since I got it. I'm just fascinated with how it changes. Wow, I love lilyan Tashman's style! That's what I will do, at least, both on one hand. Women from this time had such flair for beauty.

I will try to get a few more pics of the asterism. Here are some just showing the metal work. It is apparent that older rings were architecturally complex.
Here is also the one remaining unrestored part, the cracked diamond. At first I thought I would fix it eventually, but now I kinda like it, (third picture down, in the middle of the longest baguette .) This old lady has had a life already. As long as she can withstand the next 100 years!

IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3927.JPG

Last edited:

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love that you wear them on one hand. Oh man. Opulence:appl:The claws are just perfect.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that you wear them on one hand. Oh man. Opulence:appl:The claws are just perfect.
Thank you Vesper! They did a great job restoring it and adding the claws to the prongs.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay. Last fun fact post. I just read that Mary Pickford owned the "Star of Bombay" (182cts) which she gave to the Smithsonian. She named it after her favorite gin (my kind of girl!)
star on bom.jpg
She also owned the Star of India and I can't seem to find a picture.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. Last fun fact post. I just read that Mary Pickford owned the "Star of Bombay" (182cts) which she gave to the Smithsonian. She named it after her favorite gin (my kind of girl!)
star on bom.jpg
She also owned the Star of India and I can't seem to find a picture.

A girl with my tastes too! Wow, I love these fun facts. Please don't stop posting them!

When I get some sun shots, I'll post them up today.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mary Pickford's husband gave her the Bombay Star set in a ring as a kind of "don't divorce me" gift. She ended up leaving him and taking the stone. Apparently, the man from the Smithsonian came to look at her estate and took a few items. The appraiser on site saw the sapphire and literally yanked it out of the setting and took the stone. o_O "Pry" was the word someone at the estate used. I always thought the star sapphire trend stated in the 1930's (with actresses) and I am not sure who really started it. Mary divorced her husband in 1936 and received the stone around then. So not her.

I have done some more digging. The rumor is that she owned the Star of India. The museum that owns it claims she did not so I am guess that is correct.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mary Pickford's husband gave her the Bombay Star set in a ring as a kind of "don't divorce me" gift. She ended up leaving him and taking the stone. Apparently, the man from the Smithsonian came to look at her estate and took a few items. The appraiser on site saw the sapphire and literally yanked it out of the setting and took the stone. o_O "Pry" was the word someone at the estate used. I always thought the star sapphire trend stated in the 1930's (with actresses) and I am not sure who really started it. Mary divorced her husband in 1936 and received the stone around then. So not her.

I have done some more digging. The rumor is that she owned the Star of India. The museum that owns it claims she did not so I am guess that is correct.

That is so interesting. I love these stories! I can imagine the stone being forced out of its setting! Sudden insanity must have made him lose control by seeing such a stone.

You are right, I think the trend started in the late 1920's and lasted into Art Deco, retro and then through the height of the cocktail era of the 1950's, when evening and cocktail party rings were so popular. On 1stDibs, all of the star rings are from this 25 year span, with a few, high end, more modern examples.

The jewelry editor explained that designers struggled to design around stars due to the relative rarity of large sizes with good qualities. The supply was not steady enough to continue to be so popular. It makes me think of how things have changed in terms of population. What was once possible in jewelry becomes increasingly less obtainable due to swelling numbers of consumers and fewer supplies.

For this reason, I think you can get the best stars in vintage pieces, since the great ones are already spoken for right at the mine. Those will never be seen in the middle market, instead going immediately to exclusive sellers.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3932.jpg As an example, this lovely star is 15 carats or so, being offered for 15k, but one might be able to get it for half that because they welcome offers. I've seen lesser, new stars for triple that price.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Per Bluegemz request, here's my new star acquisition... It's approx 8cts, vintage, in a clunky uncomfortable setting so it's scheduled for a reset. It's a lovely deep shade of denim blue with a hint of violet and has nice transparency... It's like a cool deep drop of water in the shade. I'm excited for the re-do on the setting. IMG_20170729_130557093_HDR.jpg IMG_20170727_172319733.jpg IMG_20170727_120007425.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per Bluegemz request, here's my new star acquisition... It's approx 8cts, vintage, in a clunky uncomfortable setting so it's scheduled for a reset. It's a lovely deep shade of denim blue with a hint of violet and has nice transparency... It's like a cool deep drop of water in the shade. I'm excited for the re-do on the setting. IMG_20170729_130557093_HDR.jpg IMG_20170727_172319733.jpg IMG_20170727_120007425.jpg
So beautiful! It's a great stone! Thanks for adding it here!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my stars, plus one cat's eye!
I made them all, in sterling.
Black star diopside, cat's eye scapolite, untreated star ruby, treated blue star sapphire,
30 ct. untreated star sapphire.
The ruby has the best star, but it is hard to photograph. IMG_20170729_152743445_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_154743573_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170729_154743573_HDR.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results