shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Speaking of black star Sapphires. This one is from Queensland and was found by a little boy who proceeded to use it as a doorstop. It is 733 cts.
tumblr_m9sh2ntpjG1r2j7ub.png

Where is BB?

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My bowling ball! I actually use it as a paperweight at work. It is really heavy! I believe it is about a 112 ct blackstar chrome diopside. I really need to start wiring all of this down.
IMG_20170420_102012.jpg 2017-04-21_18.10.30.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bowling ball! I actually use it as a paperweight at work. It is really heavy! I believe it is about a 112 ct blackstar chrome diopside. I really need to start wiring all of this down.
IMG_20170420_102012.jpg View attachment 501947
Wow Vesper! Is it a star diopside? I love it! It's funny that you should use it as a paperweight. I have a huge garnet on my desk that I use as a paperweight too lol.

That huge, black star is remarkable!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It is a star diopside. I bought it originally to set in a ring to wear when I dress up like Jean Harlow (:shifty:) but I decided I like having it sitting on my desk. How big is your garnet?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a star diopside. I bought it originally to set in a ring to wear when I dress up like Jean Harlow (:shifty:) but I decided I like having it sitting on my desk. How big is your garnet?
My garnet is about 2 inches across. It looks somewhat like this one, without the schist. Can you believe the size of the other one!?! I once saw a bangle carved out of one, giant garnet crystal, probably similar in size to this one.

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have a few of them, along with other desk stones. I've got a black tourmaline crystal, some small geodes, some natural jade pebbles, lepidolite, optical calcite, a moonstone...I know, it's excessive for desk stones. But, I find myself enjoying them throughout the day!

I love your star diopside! I can image it as a ring, but also think it's beautiful as is.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz I do not think it is excessive! I have some stones I have found on my desk. Citrine, blood stone, amazonite, moonstone, quartz, rose quartz, iolite. It makes work less terrible.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz I do not think it is excessive! I have some stones I have found on my desk. Citrine, blood stone, amazonite, moonstone, quartz, rose quartz, iolite. It makes work less terrible.
That's a great way to describe it. They definitely make work less terrible!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are the comparison photos. The round 12ct is lighter, less grey cast, tiny violet tinge. More translucent.
The 9 ct is bluer, with a tinge of grey more opaque.

I think I will keep on looking :)

*note: phone can makes them appear more blue than they are.

20170629_201917-1.jpg

20170629_201758-1.jpg

20170629_201855-1.jpg

20170629_201626-1.jpg

20170629_201648-1.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both lovely, but the larger one seems to glow more, and beckons my eye In to it. I hear that your going to keep looking for a while. If your heart isn't intrigued, then they just aren't the ones. I truly believe that you will know it when you see the right one.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this huge, vintage pink star on eBay. I believe it's from the 80's based on setting. Natural looking inclusions, no picture of the star, but what a pretty color and large size! I can't say anything about authenticity, but it looks like it would be amazing if natural.

IMG_3403.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An admission....So today, I went back to the store and put an offer on the other star ring. I just st can't stop thinking about it, which is a sign that I truly love it. The owner will call when she decides. I'm pretty sure it's unheated because under the loupe, none of the crystal inlusions have melted, or show tell tale signs of contraction and expansion marks that are typical with heated crystal inclusions. If the owner accepts my offer, then I'll get it. This Hollywood star discussion has really inspired me. I think I'd wear it on my index finger, on the same hand as the other star. I will put myself on a jewelry 'diet' for a while if I end up buying this. I'd want to get it repolished and the prongs made into points.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An admission....So today, I went back to the store and put an offer on the other star ring. I just st can't stop thinking about it, which is a sign that I truly love it. The owner will call when she decides. I'm pretty sure it's unheated because under the loupe, none of the crystal inlusions have melted, or show tell tale signs of contraction and expansion marks that are typical with heated crystal inclusions. If the owner accepts my offer, then I'll get it. This Hollywood star discussion has really inspired me. I think I'd wear it on my index finger, on the same hand as the other star. I will put myself on a jewelry 'diet' for a while if I end up buying this. I'd want to get it repolished and the prongs made into points.
Good call and fingers crossed the owner accepts your offer.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg
Here are the comparison photos. The round 12ct is lighter, less grey cast, tiny violet tinge. More translucent.
The 9 ct is bluer, with a tinge of grey more opaque.

I think I will keep on looking :)

*note: phone can makes them appear more blue than they are.

20170629_201917-1.jpg

20170629_201758-1.jpg

20170629_201855-1.jpg

20170629_201626-1.jpg

20170629_201648-1.jpg

I think the 9 carat seems less transluscent than the 12 carat because it's a thicker cab? Thw price difference between the two is huge! I think it is worth to further the search.

Just for reference, the star I got has this transparency. I was trying to get an angle where the surface doesn't reflect light so much. Cab thickness is 8.60mm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Goodluck! Keep us posted!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I say drape yourself in star sapphires. Here is a little inspiration. Joan Crawford.
Screen+Shot+2015-10-12+at+6.43.03+AM.png

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say drape yourself in star sapphires. Here is a little inspiration. Joan Crawford.
Screen+Shot+2015-10-12+at+6.43.03+AM.png
Just what I need for an inspiration picture. Wow, that ornate pendant and bracelet. I read that one of the Hollywood ladies had a 3 stone, star sapphire bracelet !
I'll keep you posted about what happens today.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the star, the seller accepted my offer. Now I am having it sized, repolished and prongs redone. I'll probably have it in about 2 weeks. I feel as though I've been excessive by getting both star rings within a short time, so I'm on a jewelry ban for a while...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wrong about the stats...seller emailed me all the details. The star weighs 34.3 carats and diamond weight is 3.6 carats of all baguette diamonds. This is the first piece I have with baguettes other than a few accent baguettes on my ruby ring.

I kept wondering why it looks so much bigger than my 18.81 carat star. It's basically double the size and has almost no bottom weight, ( though the smaller has almost no bottom weight either). It's just flat on the bottom and ends where the metal base begins. Also, the dome is not as high as the smaller one. It's got a maximum spread for the weight. The good thing is that the legs of the star reach all the way to the outer edge and is a good star. ( I know that the quality of the star is affected by the shape of the dome) . I've not yet captured the star well in pics because it's been overcast, and when it's repolished it will be easier. Seller said 2 weeks for the work.
IMG_3415.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the large, side diamonds was hit and cracked at some point. It is not unstable as is. In order to restore it, I'd have to get a diamond specifically cut. I think I'll have to wait on that part of the restoration. I'm fine with that part as is because I hardly notice it. When I do, it adds to the mystery of ithe ring's 100 year life. I asked for all the metal to be repolished nicely.

IMG_3414.JPG

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW an awesome buy for the colour, star, size and history.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW an awesome buy for the colour, star, size and history.
Thank you, Burmesedaze! I do feel that it was an awesome opportunity that was hard to find given the size, color, trasparency and historical style. Yesterday, at another store, for the same price, I saw another Art Deco star ring. It was very small and grey, maybe just 2 carats. Made me feel happy about the price.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That color and transluscency at 30+ carats, you'd be lucky to see one again. Congratulations!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That color and transluscency at 30+ carats, you'd be lucky to see one again. Congratulations!
Thank you, Seaglow. I know that I will never find another like it in a price within my reach. After so many years looking, it's only getting harder to find them. The owner of the store is a very fine and sophisticated woman, who has travelled quite a bit. She told me that the good antique and estate period pieces are becoming increasingly hard to find. And hardly any stars...I have noticed this too.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this fun setting for a star sapphire. It looks like it could be quite playful!
Also, I found these pictures of yellow star sapphires, but they seem to be very rare. I'm not even seeing many pictures. Has anyone seen a yellow star sapphire in person?
I'd LOVE to add one to my collection someday! I can imagine it with yellow diamonds, or even spessartites, warm like the sun! Or, even demantoids garnets, like lemon slice with leaves.
IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fabulous image!

IMG_3472.PNG

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am in love with this star rose quartz.
XXX_30_1333998340_1.jpg 30_1333998340_3.jpg 30_1333998340_2.jpg

Also, these are diamonds, but the band will go with my star sapphire. I think Jean would approve.
Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in love with this star rose quartz.
XXX_30_1333998340_1.jpg 30_1333998340_3.jpg 30_1333998340_2.jpg

Also, these are diamonds, but the band will go with my star sapphire. I think Jean would approve.
Untitled2.jpg
Oh wow!!! They are both stunning ! I love the rose quartz so much, and the ring guards are a must! Are you considering them?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really have a new love for star rose quartz since I got the star quartz bead bracelet. It's luminous, ethereal and just magic looking! Here is another rose quartz ring and a star sapphire ring which are both lovely...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here...

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results