shape
carat
color
clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few more star rings which I found interesting due to varying balances of color, clarity and asterism.

I was thinking that with stars it's about balance between these aspects. What does a good balance mean to you?

The large ring is over 100k! Strong star, size, rich color, but opaque and a tad fibrous looking in other pictures. Still beautiful though, and choices about beauty and balance are personal.

The other one is light and watery, and mild star. The whole look is soft, like a whisper, whereas the other is strong looking. Each star clearly has a different balance of these 3 factors., with such different moods!
IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3365.PNG

I can see why the art deco styles with the star corundums appeal to you and many of us here. The size and shifts of the stones really lend themselves to the dramatic and bold.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Or perhaps the bottom left 9ct star sapphire instead for a more reasonable US$520 :)

20170627_150612.jpg

20170627_150618.jpg

20170627_150623.jpg

I didn't see these stars. It seems they have high transparency!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't see these stars. It seems they have high transparency!

You were preoccupied with the sapphire ring :) they are at Snow White

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to bring the 9 ct to compare side by side with the 12 ct, since the lighting at the 2 places are so different!

All things equal I don't really have a strong preference, though I gravitate towards rounds. But the round at this price and being 3 ct more doesn't have a very strong pull factor for me.

I may end up settling for the 9 ct as an interim piece till a better one with a decent price in a stronger colour and same defined star comes about.

Or it may never and at least I have1 piece to be happy with when I leave Yangon at the end of my stint here.
Yes, comparing them side by side is the next step. So think both are extremely lovely stones, so if you bought one, and never another, either
of them would be something to be proud of for sure. Where will you go after your time in Yangon?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, comparing them side by side is the next step. So think both are extremely lovely stones, so if you bought one, and never another, either
of them would be something to be proud of for sure. Where will you go after your time in Yangon?

Either back home to HQ or onto another job :) There's still some time to go before having to decide.

Will take pics of them side by side tomorrow!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either back home to HQ or onto another job :) There's still some time to go before having to decide.

Its wonderful to have choices! I'm looking forward to your pictures.
Re, the Art Deco rings styles with stars, yes there is something about the strong geometry which creates a solid visual platform for stars. AND, so many stars were used in this period. I think it may have been a time when they were most popular. The only other period which I found, is the 1950's. I see many star jewelry from this period as well. I believe this is mainly due to inconsistent or unpredictable supplies of them.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a screen shot of a YouTube video, featuring a red and white star. I think these mixed color stars can be really pretty! Reminds me of cows....

IMG_3356.PNG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I found this amazing star rose quartz in this mind blowing setting! How fine is this setting?! Truly a work of art in proportion, craftsmanship, and in capturing the soul of the stone. This moves me so much because it's a marriage between the natural beauty of the stone, taken to new heights of refinement with the metal work.

IMG_3407.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more beautiful star rings!

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Of course, the star sapphire to end all star sapphires was the one owned by Jean Harlow. It was given to her by William Powell. He give his first wife Carole Lombard a star sapphire so he gave Jean a larger one since he would not marry her. I read in an interview with the jeweler that the star sapphire was actually very low quality but it was selected only due to size. The jeweler called Powell cheap. And shocker the ring went missing after Jean died. I suspect her semi-mobster Step- Father sold it after she died.
jh 2.jpg
Here it is in "Personal Property."
jh.jpg
harlow_sapphire.jpg
At parties Jean was known to light matches to show off the star. Powell's ex-wife Lombard proceeded to buy herself a massive star sapphire and made sure newspapers stated that she got it for herself. It was in the 150 ct range. Jeans was only in the 90 ct range.
cl.jpg
The brooch went missing after CL's death a recently a reproduction was made. Yes, it is sad that I know all of this off the top of my head. My love of Jean Harlow is why I have a star sapphire. Alas, mine is 8cts.
cl2.jpg
I think it is kind of funny that the settings for Jean Harlow's ring and Carole Lombard's star sapphires rings were the same. I believe Powell got them from the same man.
cl.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, the star sapphire to end all star sapphires was the one owned by Jean Harlow. It was given to her by William Powell. He give his first wife Carole Lombard a star sapphire so he gave Jean a larger one since he would not marry her. I read in an interview with the jeweler that the star sapphire was actually very low quality but it was selected only due to size. The jeweler called Powell cheap. And shocker the ring went missing after Jean died. I suspect her semi-mobster Step- Father sold it after she died.
jh 2.jpg
Here it is in "Personal Property."
jh.jpg
harlow_sapphire.jpg
At parties Jean was known to light matches to show off the star. Powell's ex-wife Lombard proceeded to buy herself a massive star sapphire and made sure newspapers stated that she got it for herself. It was in the 150 ct range. Jeans was only in the 90 ct range.
cl.jpg
The brooch went missing after CL's death a recently a reproduction was made. Yes, it is sad that I know all of this off the top of my head. My love of Jean Harlow is why I have a star sapphire. Alas, mine is 8cts.
cl2.jpg
Vesper, NOT sad, but fabulous!!! Love that story!!what drama and what an amazing brooch and ring. This was a period of such glamor, and star fit that so well. Please feel free to add your beautiful star to the thread!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Jean LOVED drama and wanted to rub it in that Powell was hers. Since he would not marry her she wanted him to pay. Literally. Her Mom even coned Powell into paying for Jean's funeral as well as two more burial plots. Her funeral was well over 40k in the 1940's.

Here is my little guy (I have posted it a good deal.) I bought it from the Natural Sapphire Company (well my Mom did. We trade rings back and forth.)
star sapphire.jpg

Joan Crawford and Betty Davis both also had star sapphires. I suspect they were all trying to out do one another. Crawford's was in the 70ct range and was an oval I believe.
bd.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jean LOVED drama and wanted to rub it in that Powell was hers. Since he would not marry her she wanted him to pay. Literally. Her Mom even coned Powell into paying for Jean's funeral as well as two more burial plots. Her funeral was well over 40k in the 1940's.

Here is my little guy (I have posted it a good deal.) I bought it from the Natural Sapphire Company (well my Mom did. We trade rings back and forth.)
star sapphire.jpg
What a personality! I love the picture of her lying down with her hand on her forehead, as of in that moment, it's too much drama.
Love your star! So perfect in its plump roundness! Also love the prongs, and how they are double. Thank you for adding it here!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a personality! I love the picture of her lying down with her hand on her forehead, as of in that moment, it's too much drama.
Love your star! So perfect in its plump roundness! Also love the prongs, and how they are double. Thank you for adding it here!
My jeweler called it an expensive marble! Henry (the stone, silly I know) is at the jeweler at the moment having baguettes put on the side.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember about Joan Crawford and her love of stars! Didn't Bette David have a huge star bracelet? I think you're right, they must have been trying to out do each other.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler called it an expensive marble! Henry (the stone, silly I know) is at the jeweler at the moment having baguettes put on the side.
Wow, that's going to look great! It's not silly, I too name some jewels, especially my bangles! May I ask, why Henry?

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The color reminded me of the painting "The Blue Boy." And the boy in the painting looks like a Henry :lol:

Here is a massive one I tried on. I was crushed when it sold.
star sapphire 2.jpg star sapphire.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, that one was amazing!!!! Huge, big, bold and beautiful. It looks like it was a wise, old crystal. I can see why you were crushed. I'm off to see wether another star ring from the Deco period, is still in the store. 29 carats, dark blue, transparent, with a good star. I will not be buying it, just visiting it. I decided on the one I have over it, but it broke my heart to have to decide. Honestly, I would easily wear them BOTH at once, maybe even on the same hand!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That black star reminded me of this brooch a friend's mum had made in Yangon when she visited last year. It's well over 10 carats but I forgot how many exactly. Opaque with a clear star.

Screenshot_2017-06-28-23-39-56.png

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I visited the other star, and it's still there. Here are some pics. Just love this one. It needs a repolish and some restoration but it has a great size and color. Some zoning and little sprinkles of crystal inclusions.
Now I'm starting to think about how I can possibly get this star too, but I really don't want to let myself be excessive like that. It's crazy how much I love these stones.
IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cl.jpg
cl2.jpg
I think it is kind of funny that the settings for Jean Harlow's ring and Carole Lombard's star sapphires rings were the same. I believe Powell got them from the same man.
cl.jpg

Is that absolutely stunning blue yours?!! That is truly breathtaking!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also saw this pretty star ruby ring. Really liked the setting.

IMG_3431.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That black star reminded me of this brooch a friend's mum had made in Yangon when she visited last year. It's well over 10 carats but I forgot how many exactly. Opaque with a clear star.

Screenshot_2017-06-28-23-39-56.png
Burmesedaze, what a brooch! I can imagine it well worn with black silk or a nice grey sweater.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a screen shot of a YouTube video, featuring a red and white star.

Love that sort of thing - even without the star [inspiration - a perfume bottle stopper, Idar-Oberstein]

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Can't wait for the side by side photos! It seems in the photos that the 9 carat has more transparency/translucency than the $2.9k ring. I prefer the look of the 520 bucks stone at least in the photos.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The black stars are mostly mined in Thailand. They can get pretty big and are nicely priced. Because they are opaque, a very even body color with no color zoning are really beautiful, even more if they have a golden star.

One of my cutters have this double star ruby but is double-starred in a different way. Instead of the usual overlapping parallel star, this one has like a two star like a matched pair, like one on the left, the other on the right. I can't quite capture the 2 stars but in person both stars are defined. It's like 2 fused crystals that happened during its formation.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The black stars are mostly mined in Thailand. They can get pretty big and are nicely priced. Because they are opaque, a very even body color with no color zoning are really beautiful, even more if they have a golden star.

One of my cutters have this double star ruby but is double-starred in a different way. Instead of the usual overlapping parallel star, this one has like a two star like a matched pair, like one on the left, the other on the right. I can't quite capture the 2 stars but in person both stars are defined. It's like 2 fused crystals that happened during its formation.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Now that is amazing! I've never seen one like it before. I imagine it was the base of two crystals that grew together. Very, very interesting. I can imagine a couple of great settings for that, which emphasize the twin stars.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now that is amazing! I've never seen one like it before. I imagine it was the base of two crystals that grew together. Very, very interesting. I can imagine a couple of great settings for that, which emphasize the twin stars.

Yes, it is most likely the base of two crystals.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Speaking of black star Sapphires. This one is from Queensland and was found by a little boy who proceeded to use it as a doorstop. It is 733 cts.
tumblr_m9sh2ntpjG1r2j7ub.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results