clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
...and the trillion

_10420.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohhhh so pretty, shiny and hot pink! Thank you all for sharing! I've seen some smaller pairs but gorgeous color on brads site and I think danas site but they go FAST ---like whooosh!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of mahenge spinel trillions surrounding a mint garnet oval. The spinels were purchased over two years ago from primagems.

tlmintgarnetmahengedetail.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that mint garnet...amazing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SO loving this thread; thank you to Athenaworth for bringing it back to life. :love:

Kenny,
If the spinel ring wasn't that big, I wouldn't have noticed your attempt to slip off with it the same way you saw me casually almost forgetting to return the Octavia back to you. :devil:

5_ct_mahenge_spinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1380284543|3528263 said:
I am SO loving this thread; thank you to Athenaworth for bringing it back to life. :love:

Kenny,
If the spinel ring wasn't that big, I wouldn't have noticed your attempt to slip off with it the same way you saw me casually almost forgetting to return the Octavia back to you. :devil:

Chrono,
That's my favorite pic of your 5 carat pear. Now we need a new photo shoot with all of your beauties, including your new Luc Yen spinel ring. :cheeky: :love: :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the high praise TL. My photography is slowly improving; I cringe when I look at most of my old photos now.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
+1, Athenaworth. I am enjoying this thread so much I decided it is worth adding to my list to follow. Chrono, such a beautiful ring (well, that's a given... all your rings are lovely).

Darn, this is going to make me want a Bigger mahenge which will only happen if I had the lucky numbers last night :naughty:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here is an assortment of my Mahenges in various hues and levels of saturation.

_17485.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1398735906|3662333 said:
Are you trying to make a parure?

That new one is an attention grabber.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Xrisus|1398735906|3662333 said:

I'm also curious to know what you plan on doing with all those mahenges. Seriously nice collection.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the new one the one in the black box? If so, it really is a show off. Also, can you tell us a little about the big cushion on the right hand side? Lovely collection.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I really want to know more on the cushion stone on the right!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine. Unset, just plopped into a vacant setting.

my_spinel_ring.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Freke & LoversKites - I had to actually google what a parure was as I'm just a hopeless dude that had no idea! I actually have no earthly idea what I'm going to do with these, probably have some set into rings for my wife, and a set of earrings with the two ~5 mm rounds that are well matched. Honestly I think this compulsion to collect gems gets the better of me sometimes and I acquire with no further thought of what comes after that!

Minous & kama_s - The new one is the one in the black box. The larger cushion is actually a very included stone I purchased from Tan, I think around 2.5cts. It's full of inclusions, especially some near the girdle which I don't know how it will affect the integrity of the stone while setting. It also has an orangish modifier, but once again, one that I like. The stone looks much better in person than in Tan's picture, but you can see how included the stone is in Tan's picture.

_17519.jpg

_17520.jpg

_17521.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
kama_s - That is a gorgeous spinel, such a nice hue!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus,
The cushion spinel has amazing colour. Due to the inclusions, I would set it in a prong set pendant. Prong setting is safer (less stress on the gem), pendants are less apt to be damaged when worn, and no one will be close enough to the bosom to see the inclusion. All everyone will see is the amazing colour!

GemAgents1

Rough_Rock
Trade
wow wow.. what an amazing stone..!!!

where did you get it? are you selling??

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemAgents1|1398870424|3663546 said:
wow wow.. what an amazing stone..!!!

where did you get it? are you selling??

Hi GemAgents1: You were probably just kidding, but just to err on the safe side, we're prohibited from discussing sales here. There is another section of PS that allows discussion of sales (click on the "Forum" link at the top of page, choose "Pricescope Cafe" ------> "Preloved" from the drop down menu). As a Trade member, you have other restrictions that regular members do not, so it might be wise for you read through the PS rules to avoid a run-in with the Moderators. :))

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Chrono - Part of me wants to play with fire and set it into a ring, I think my wife finds rings more versatile, or maybe it is just I have had so many pendants made for her. Kind of a silly question, but I imagine if there are inclusions near the girdle, and she hit the stone just right-we would be left with mahenge puree right? If that is the case, then I suppose a pendant is better than little pieces of gem on the floor.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should've said it sooner - the color on your cushion is amazing Xrisus :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. Mahenge puree.... :appl:

But reality of Mahenge puree.... ;( :-o :errrr: :knockout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not puree but probably Mahenge pieces. :errrr: On the bright side, maybe you can have those recut into Mahenge melees. :naughty: But it would not be cost effective though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xsrisus,
I have a 2 ct. pink spinel with an enormous crack in it. I think if you have a good jeweler, and you tell them about the cracks, they may be able to set it. They were able to set mine. As you can see, the crack is pretty scary looking. Here's two video stills from it. The crack goes all the way along the base of the stone to the side. Also tell the jeweler NOT to put the stone in an ultrasonic cleaner after it's been set. Some do that.

Love the stone though, and it's really enjoyable to wear as a ring. It's in a bypass with a trillion violet spinel with similar size.

I prefer to wear my favorite stones, so I hope you can set your gem. It's lovely.

tlpinkspinelcrack.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've joined the tribe. 3 mahenges to my collection!!

_21161.jpg

_21162.jpg

_21163.jpg

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Elvis, that's a gorgeous stone - it might convince me to like hearts!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, this thread resurfaced! I had my hot pink on the previous page recut (to get rid of a crack), and set it with a couple other hot pinks in a 7 stone band, 2.05ctw of spinels:

_21337.jpg

_21338.jpg

_21339.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
ElvisPrasiolite|1407953295|3731616 said:
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this? This stone is not for sale, & has been in my collection for 9 or 10 years. Manenge Spinel 3.03 cts. Please delete it if I broke a rule. Just wanted to share.

070_1.jpg

That is gorgeous. I can see it in a pendant now...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old stone I bought some years ago. 1.53 carats and in a new semi mount

_21369.jpg

_21370.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results