carat
color
clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim Bruun|1353435858|3311157 said:
I must once again appeal to the expertise on this fourm! My mahenge arrived today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it... The crystal is lovely, but on the vendor photo, it looked so neony. Under the gray Danish November sky, the level of saturation struck me as slightly dusty, and under energy saving bulbs, a brownish gray cast is noticable. Is this typical of mahenge? I was hoping for hot pink (as in the photo), but what I got was more along the lines of vieux rose... Were my expectations unrealistic? I will examine it again tomorrow without artificial light.

I can't speak for the Danish sky, but I can say that I would not want a Mahenge that changes color dramatically under overcast daylight and energy saving bulbs. One thing I can always count on with my mahenges is that they will super bright, saturated shades of magenta or reddish pink. I would not want stones which do not show off their color. :(sad

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1353436491|3311170 said:
A fine quality Mahenge will not appear brownish or gray even under the horrible CFLs. It will shift a little but the saturation remains strong. Definitely play around with it under various lighting conditions. I am curious to see the vendor's photo.

minousbijoux|1353436666|3311174 said:
I would not want a Mahenge that changes color dramatically under overcast daylight and energy saving bulbs. One thing I can always count on with my mahenges is that they will super bright, saturated shades of magenta or reddish pink. I would not want stones which do not show off their color. :(sad

Thanks, Chrono and Minous! Your comments affirmed what I already knew - this one will be going back. I have looked at it in different lighting throughout the day, and while nice and sparkly, it didn't wow me at any point - what I was hoping for from a Mahenge was that hot, flowery pink that one is tempted to describe as neony:

mahenge-spinel-gem-spi-00414.jpg

Needless to say, the photo was a bit flattering. Yes, it is from AJSgems - I've shopped with them before. The last thing I bought was a small red Burmese spinel, and it was as attractive in hand as in the photo. Even under CFL where it picks up a slight orange modifier, it stays saturate - almost glowing, in fact!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Excited to post my first Mahenge. 2.something carats, ~9x7 oval from PrimaGems.

No enhancements to this photo at all!

hand_sparkle_sm.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bumping this topic to add my newest 1.73 from Prima

_9718.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1378584035|3516358 said:
Bumping this topic to add my newest 1.73 from Prima

Yeah, baby! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I bet you anything there is a run on your supplier right now...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhhhhhmayyyzing, AW. So happy you found your holy grail Mahenge! :)

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Anthena--

Gorgeous! The mahenge is so vivid and clean/crystal as well!!! Did you get that recently because I didn't think any material like that was in circulation anymore!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely Gorgeous... I love it!

Congrats :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
erinl|1378593076|3516431 said:
Anthena--

Gorgeous! The mahenge is so vivid and clean/crystal as well!!! Did you get that recently because I didn't think any material like that was in circulation anymore!

I just got it yesterday. I have a SMTB thread on it. Jaimeen at Prima has been on the lookout for me for a long time. I'm so grateful that he contacted me when this one came along. I can't freaking stop staring at it!

_9727.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Athena,

Just beautiful! I thought your first ring was so pretty, it still is. I have it in my inspiration folder. New one has such intense color and looks so pretty. do you mind telling me what size your finger is?

Wear it in good health.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wordie89|1378692120|3517027 said:
Athena,

Just beautiful! I thought your first ring was so pretty, it still is. I have it in my inspiration folder. New one has such intense color and looks so pretty. do you mind telling me what size your finger is?

Wear it in good health.

Thank you! I'm a size 6 on my right hand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A red spinel truly deserving of the Mahenge reputation that is often overused. Beautiful colouration and ring. I think I can hear Prima's phone ringing off the hook.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Prima spinel is amazing. I LOVE it! :love:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Athenaworth could you please tell me where you got the setting that looks like a butterfly or leaves on the sides. Its my favorite setting for stones. I know Logr has a similar one but not a full diamond in the leaves. How big are those diamonds?

Anyone know?

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice spinels everyone. Athena, Jaimeed did good!! :appl:

Here's mine, but it's a 4 ct. violet spinel, which you can see the inclusions in since this is such a sharp image, and flanked by two one carat pears which are mahenge.

tlspinelmahengevioletring.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely lovely!!!!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1378727709|3517164 said:
A red spinel truly deserving of the Mahenge reputation that is often overused. Beautiful colouration and ring. I think I can hear Prima's phone ringing off the hook.

Chrono I have a question for you. I know that "Mahenge" spinel is a term applied to the neon red/pinks mined from Mahenge. But would you qualify a neon pink with little red as one that deserves the "Mahenge reputation"? I have two pink/reds that I am sure qualify but two that are neon pink with little red. One is a delightful mix of pink, orange, red, and purple, one just pink, with red and orange. I guess to me the "Mahenge" is in the neon pink of a spinel mined from Mahenge. What do you think?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly, I think people here overuse the term Mahenge. I have several spinels from Mahenge, that are not the bright red/pink. Any spinel that's from Mahenge can be called a Mahenge spinel. It's just that here it's become synonymous with the OMG HOT PINK/RED color some of these stones can exhibit.

4 perfectly nice light pink/lavender Mahenge spinels.

_9877.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
It is always a feast for the eyes to see your beautiful stones.

Lisa,
In actuality, Mahenge only refers to the location so spinels of any colour (tone, saturation and hue) from Mahenge is rightfully a Mahenge spinel. It could even be a grey blue spinel from the location and be called a Mahenge spinel. However, much like Burmese ruby, Kashmir sapphire and the like, the term Mahenge spinel is now synonymous with that strongly saturated and hot red and pink spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1378988792|3519342 said:
TL,
It is always a feast for the eyes to see your beautiful stones.

Lisa,
In actuality, Mahenge only refers to the location so spinels of any colour (tone, saturation and hue) from Mahenge is rightfully a Mahenge spinel. It could even be a grey blue spinel from the location and be called a Mahenge spinel. However, much like Burmese ruby, Kashmir sapphire and the like, the term Mahenge spinel is now synonymous with that strongly saturated and hot red and pink spinel.

Thanks for the kind words Chrono.

The only problem with the term "Mahenge," at least for me, is that many vendors charge a premium for that hot pink or red color, and some unscrupulous vendors still use that term with more pastel or less saturated pink stones, and still charge a premium. They may come from Mahenge, and even some violet spinels come from Mahenge I'm sure, but the term becomes meaningless then. Those hot pink/red spinels were originally found in Mahenge and since then, the name is synonymous with hot pink/red spinels. Otherwise, I would just call them Tanzanian spinels (Mahenge is in Tanzania), or not even assign a location name to them. JMO.

It's kind of like how Paraiba tourmaline is charged a premium for, even if the stone isn't very saturated. Eventually, there had to be some guidelines place on the name, "Paraiba," and I wonder if the same will be done for "Mahenge" as well. ????

When a region is used to describe a particular color, then it can become problematic and confusing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I don't know how I haven't managed to add mine to this thread!

3.39ct Strawberry Soda, from AJS. Moderately included. Don't care, because on my neck, all you see is the color!

Also, a 1.something stone from Tan from a long long time ago. 6x7. Has some inclusions, but again, don't care. this one is more hot pink and the big one has more red.

I also have some little ones hanging around, but I might be able to do a proper photoshoot for them soon. Fingers crossed!

img_6193.jpg

img_6199.jpg

strawberry_0.jpg

hot_1.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photos, Freke. What I really like about them is that they are a great example of how closeups magnify inclusions that really are not visible at all from viewing distance. Your last pic really puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1380125453|3527068 said:
Great photos, Freke. What I really like about them is that they are a great example of how closeups magnify inclusions that really are not visible at all from viewing distance. Your last pic really puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? :love:

Lol. The last pic is actually a different stone -about half the carat size. I'll post another one that shows more of a real life perspective.

These show you just what it looks like when you aren't using a macro lens to try to capture the inclusions!

img_9998.jpg

img_9999_freke.jpg

_10373.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love inclusions in Mahenges. Makes them all the more nommable.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must say ... I didn't get Mahenge Spinels till I saw Chrono's pear ... LIVE!
It was a couple weeks ago at a restaurant.
PICS DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE!

I tried to slip it into my pocket, but she caught me and beat me mercilessly. :D

It was love at first sight!

It is such an educational privilege to see superlative gems in person.
Perhaps there is a MS in my future too. :Up_to_something:

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love the beautiful colors. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1380148402|3527299 said:
I must say ... I didn't get Mahenge Spinels till I saw Chrono's pear ... LIVE!
It was a couple weeks ago at a restaurant.
PICS DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE!

I tried to slip it into my pocket, but she caught me and beat me mercilessly. :D

It was love at first sight!

It is such an educational privilege to see superlative gems in person.
Perhaps there is a MS in my future too. :Up_to_something:

For a long time I didn't "get" mahenges. My gem friend (Yvonne Raley) kepy telling me that I would love them, but I kept saying no, it's not my thing. Then I saw a pair in person...and these were just an average pair colorwise! And I fell totally in love. I really don't think it's possible to "get" how beautiful they are unless you see them in person.

I only have little teensy ones, but I have several now, and just got another pair...I'll post a pic of my little babies in a sec. They can't compare to most of the beauties in here, at least not in size, but I have a few that are quite nice in color.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Here's my little guys...

newest is a little pair, 4.5 mm round .98 tcw for the pair, from the "amazing" (read: expensive) parcel Yvonne Raley had in a few months back. I got my cushion (.88 ct, about 6x5 mm) from that same parcel, but couldn't afford a pair at the time as well, so I managed to get one of her last remaining pairs later on. Portuguese cut, pictured alone, and with the cushion from the same rough/parcel; also pictured with my other two mahenges. The solitaire is my "mid grade" mahenge, .85 ct, 5.5 mm; the "palest" mahenges are the pink pair in the open ring in YG, each about 4.45 mm round.

spinelmahenge.jpg

spinelm4.jpg

spinelm2.jpg

spinelm3.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
A pic of all my little mahenge babies now; and also a pic of the parcel that my new round pair and cushion came from. It's almost completely sold now, I believe...just thought you might enjoy the pretty eye candy! I consider myself lucky to have ended up with both the larger cushion from that parcel AND now a pair...they're small gems, but mighty :) Pic is courtesy of Yvonne, I hope she won't mind me posting it...I'm only doing so bc I believe the parcel is now sold off.

spinelmlot.jpg

spinels2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results