shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks like there's no shortage of mahenge spinel lovers on this board. Everyone has such lovely new stones!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
colorluvr!!!! :appl: that is a dream mahenge!! i love this thread! When that vendor is up & running pls post! :errrr:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
sapphirecats|1327811483|3113979 said:
colorluvr!!!! :appl: that is a dream mahenge!! i love this thread! When that vendor is up & running pls post! :errrr:

Sapphire, their website is still under construction, but contact information is posted, so you don't necessarily have to wait. Both Jaimeen and Geoff are in Tucson right now, but you can still call or send an email - they're both super nice and accommodating. I've visited and bought from them on several occasions, not just at Intergem, but also their NJ location. In fact, I have a photo you'll love from my last visit there - let me find it.

Here's the site: http://primagemsusa.com/

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just taken a family shot of my pink/red spinels that have been set and thought I'd add this for completeness! The first 3 are varying qualities of Mahenges. The flower shape on the right is a ring I've had for about 8 years and the spinels are much more red (they look orangey red in the photo but that's not what I see in real life). I have no idea of the provenance of the stones in this ring and need to search my paperwork to find out!

Spinels 3.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay sapphirecats, this is for you! Can't remember how many carats this was, but I was looking through a parcel of smaller Mahenge spinels for standout color or matched pairs.

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Wow :-o

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani|1327849305|3114162 said:

Sapphire, their website is still under construction, but contact information is posted, so you don't necessarily have to wait. Both Jaimeen and Geoff are in Tucson right now, but you can still call or send an email - they're both super nice and accommodating. I've visited and bought from them on several occasions, not just at Intergem, but also their NJ location. In fact, I have a photo you'll love from my last visit there - let me find it.

Thank you for providing that information Celle. I was introduced to this seller on my NYC trip last Dec where I had the pleasure to meet up with Celle and Aljdewey when we met with the vendor in NJ, and then again at the Intergem show more recently. Alj told me told me to share that if you name-drop that you are in her jewelry group friends, you will get a better discount. I didn't want to share the vendor until I heard from Alj and Celle, because they were the ones that introduced me to the vendor. Since that introduction I have purchased two mahenges, a chrome tourmaline and a gorgeous tsavorite which I just had set. I'll post photos of the tsavorite ring tomorrow.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1327885823|3114530 said:
cellentani|1327849305|3114162 said:

Thank you for providing that information Celle. I was introduced to this seller on my NYC trip last Dec where I had the pleasure to meet up with Celle and Aljdewey when we met with the vendor in NJ, and then again at the Intergem show more recently. Alj told me told me to share that if you name-drop that you are in her jewelry group friends, you will get a better discount. I didn't want to share the vendor until I heard from Alj and Celle, because they were the ones that introduced me to the vendor. Since that introduction I have purchased two mahenges, a chrome tourmaline and a gorgeous tsavorite which I just had set. I'll post photos of the tsavorite ring tomorrow.

WOWOW! Thank for the info! Gorgeous stones, thanks for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
WOW!! :love: :love: So many great pieces, I don't know where to start! I will have to keep this thread handy when my next project comes around!!

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
a pink red and a sleepy red

natural_light_0.jpg

mahenge_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many beautiful pear Mahenges owned by Psers!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Shushinator that pear is beautiful. What are your plans for setting ?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
colorluvr|1327768613|3113820 said:
I got a couple of more shots by the window yesterday during the short period of time that we had some sun, but at least we DO get sun here.... when I lived in No Oregon, I wouldn't see the sun for days (and it often felt like weeks).

They don't show off the stone very well, but my point and shoot is an oldly and I can't get very far away with my macro lens.
Wow. Where is that one from?

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
wordie89|1349145478|3277826 said:
Shushinator that pear is beautiful. What are your plans for setting ?

thanks! I dont really have plans for it yet (a couple other i want to set first) other than i want to set it in rose gold. think would set off color well. ive always liked rose gold with pink or red stones e.g.: http://www.robertprocop.com/index.php?page=jewels&catID=3,31&startRow=10

My biggest thing is I want to make sure I dont lose the glow when i set it. i dont want to do a halo because i feel like bling would take away from the stone, Maybe something like this Fred Leighton ring. using a few really tiny fiery diamonds and an antique look i think would keep it from being plain but make sure the stone is the focus.

fredleighton.jpg

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
i feel obligated to post this for the sleepy lovers out there. man i wish i had been looking when it was for sale!

sleepy.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it when a someone posts a new Mahenge. I forgot to post this one on this thread. If memory serves me right it is a 1.8 carat Mahange. I have yet to set it.

001_5.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
That Leighton setting is eye catching and would look nice with your sleepy square.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
i might actually set the cushion before the pear. it is super pretty but that vendor cell phone shot is terrible. it looks like an antique cushion cut and is bright and has some great inner sparkles. will have to take a good pic for this forum when i can.

i was thinking the cushion would look good in this http://www.victorcanera.com/the-lynn-art-deco-halo.html

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooh. That's a beautiful setting. I can just imagine t he glowing red with those lovely fatdiamonds. Do share when you do it.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I'm SO THRILLED to finally be able to post in this thread!!

I just got my new Mahenge lovely today, so I only have the vendor pics to share for now. I will try to take my own pics tomorrow if I have time, but I'll be packing for a 3 week long trip, and it may have to wait until I get back home (unless I can talk DH into attempting it).

So, here's the details:

1.87 carats
7.3 mm round x 5 mm deep
Eye-clean!

Here's what the vendor said about the inclusion, cut, and color:

"First of all, let me tell you that I couldn't even capture half the beauty of this stone on camera. The saturation of the color and the brilliance of the cutting just isn't showing up on the camera. But the picture should definitely give you a fair idea of what the stone looks like. The color is the top color that Mahenges produce. If viewed by a loupe, you will notice a tiny hair-like wave in the middle of the stone which of course the camera has exaggerated. The inclusion is just about large enough to prove that it is a natural stone and small enough to where it is invisible from most angles."

For the record, I have yet to find the inclusion with my naked eyes and in incandescent lighting.

I'm in LOVE! It IS better than pictured! It glows in even the lowest light! I really wanted a round, and they're hard to find, especially in a nice, larger size like this. I got really lucky. The vendor is Jaimeen from Prima, who has been mentioned on here before. He also previously sourced for me some stunning 5 mm round tsavorites for earrings. He doesn't get nearly the "press" on here that some other precision cutters do, perhaps because he's a broker and doesn't cut the stones himself. While he does have 'native-cut' stones at low prices, he also has *beautifully cut* stones at fair prices. He also comes across as just a very nice person in general, so I'd highly recommend him. Or maybe not.... I wouldn't want him getting too popular... gotta leave some pretty stones for me!! :naughty:

This Mahenge has taught me that I really do prefer precision cutting. I have a lovely roval Mahenge from Tan that is a really pretty stone but just doesn't throw the light back in quite the way this one does. (Of course, it was much less expensive!) In defense of Tan's products, though, it confirmed for me that Tan has some really nice stones for good prices. The color on my other Mahenge isn't as good as the color on this one, but it's not *so* far off that it's disgustingly inferior or anything. Just a hair - and I do mean a hair - of peachy (i.e. orange) flash along with its hot pink, while this one is top color. Don't get me wrong - I MUCH prefer this one and am keeping it for sure! I was just surprised that Tan's didn't look very poor by comparison!

_1296.jpg

mahenge_spinel_2.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1311521683|2975733 said:
My little one from Gene...

NKOTB - I die. What is this cut called? I LOVE IT.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jereni|1350598668|3288161 said:
NKOTB|1311521683|2975733 said:
My little one from Gene...

NKOTB - I die. What is this cut called? I LOVE IT.

I don't know if it has a specific name but I've seen Gene call it a frosted star in reference to the....well, frosted star in the design.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, Jereni, I just saw your question, and Chrono knows more about the cut than I do. I could ask Gene, or perhaps he can chime in if he sees this.

I'm adding my recent completed project to this thread. I was lucky enough to buy the stone from a lovely PSer (and the setting from another one). It was cut by Peter Torraca.

_1884.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a little 1.58 preloved roval I picked up. Sold to me as not top color due to the orange modifier. I tried to get pics of it in different lighting conditions. I see the orange mostly in flourescent lighting.

075.jpg

070_0.jpg

072.jpg

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I recently order my own mahenge, a 1.24 square cushion, so I will soon be a member of this club as well. So many gorgeous examples in this thread, too many to comment! But...

@ Tuffy: BREATHTAKING ring - so glamourous!

@ colorluvr: That 3.01 round is hot! Love the interestering facetting on the pavillion!

@ LD: Quite a collection - I would consider the ring with the navette shaped diamond band the most beautiful. I was personally never fond of the flower arrangement, but the stones in that one look glowy!

@ tara3056: That is a lovely stone - I love that particular cut!

...And so many more!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I must once again appeal to the expertise on this fourm! My mahenge arrived today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it... The crystal is lovely, but on the vendor photo, it looked so neony. Under the gray Danish November sky, the level of saturation struck me as slightly dusty, and under energy saving bulbs, a brownish gray cast is noticable. Is this typical of mahenge? I was hoping for hot pink (as in the photo), but what I got was more along the lines of vieux rose... Were my expectations unrealistic? I will examine it again tomorrow without artificial light.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can you show us photos along with a snap of the vendor photos?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Athena. I can show you photos tomorrow - I'm at my flat now, and my camera's at my parents' place. I'd definitely like some thoughts on this before contacting the vendor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For one thing, do you know the lighting condition the vendor used to allow the Mahenge to glow such a neon colour? A fine quality Mahenge will not appear brownish or gray even under the horrible CFLs. It will shift a little but the saturation remains strong. Definitely play around with it under various lighting conditions. I am curious to see the vendor's photo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results