shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

Divad

Rough_Rock
Finally got some pictures of our Mahenge spinel that begin to do it justice. The pink, orange, and red shift around with the light... totally dreamy. It's 9 x 6.7 x 4.7 mm, commercial oval, 1.94 cts.

mahenge-oval-1-crop.jpg

mahenge-oval-2-crop.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone Divad! In what type of lighting situation is the color your favorite?

Divad

Rough_Rock
It's the only stone in our collection that seems to glow regardless of the lighting. It's utterly unlike any other stone we've ever seen in person. Different lighting brings out different pinks, oranges, and sparkles, but the stone itself provides its own light. People who've seen our collection immediately reach for it and pretty much ignore everything else. (The pics above were taken with indirected daylight plus a couple overhead incandescents... on the kitchen table, with an iPhone 5s.)

Which I guess is a long way of saying I can't pick just one lighting! :doh:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Off topic, but Divad I love that stone in your avatar. It reminds me of a goldfish in a fish bowl.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current stash (minus a small cushion that I previously posted but is now loose).

_25743.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1420232762|3811015 said:
My current stash (minus a small cushion that I previously posted but is now loose).

And cars will stop in front of you!?

Divad

Rough_Rock
Wow! Spectacular, NKOTB!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow - lol!

Divad- thanks! :)

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB: It's like the cherry on top, of the cherry on top...on top of the-well you get it! The bottom stone is killer!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the second and third from the top - the pinkish ones! How do you decide which ones to wear?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aaaah!!! What an amazing collection! I love the one at the bottom especially: this is one of my PS favorites.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, xrisus, ILG and Acinom! As for deciding which one to wear, it depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing (e.g. alternate wedding band, bigger vs smaller, pink vs red, orangey red vs pinky red). Also my mood, what kind of lighting there might be where I'm going, and which ring hasn't been shown some love in a while. Not trying to make this thread all about me, so this is the last picture I will post, but this one shows the subtle color differences more accurately (though the Prima looks a bit more purplish here than what my eye sees IRL).

_25763.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Middle one ... OMG! It reminds me of the pear I got from you which I need to really buckle down and save up enough to set. I have been inspired enough by this thread to star the setting process for it. I am going with a white or rose gold diamond halo.

20150103_164705.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1420319488|3811424 said:
Thanks, xrisus, ILG and Acinom! As for deciding which one to wear, it depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing (e.g. alternate wedding band, bigger vs smaller, pink vs red, orangey red vs pinky red). Also my mood, what kind of lighting there might be where I'm going, and which ring hasn't been shown some love in a while. Not trying to make this thread all about me, so this is the last picture I will post, but this one shows the subtle color differences more accurately (though the Prima looks a bit more purplish here than what my eye sees IRL).

I think you should wear them all as stackers. :naughty: ;-)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1420322135|3811445 said:

I think you should wear them all as stackers. :naughty: ;-)

Well, I do like to bend my fingers once in a while, lol!

Athenaworth...dude...TDF!!!!!!!!! Seriously, that's looks so amazing! :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sorry double post - stupid ipad

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You have the most amazing collection! Every "ideal" color of Mahenge imaginable!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

NKOTB, your collection is amazing. My favorite is the big oval with the JuliaB setting. Yum!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I completely forgot to add my "raspberry" Mahenge spinel earrings. I got 4 of these stones from Jaimeen at an Intergem last summer and according to him, this is a very difficult color to find in a Mahenge. They look red at first glance but are definitely more of a raspberry color if you put them next to a true red spinel. I got four of the stones (two 4mm for the earrings and a bit larger round and a trillion). I got another round (to put in a ring with the trillion) at the last Intergem that is similar in color, but it's not a Mahenge. If you look at the bottom macro shot with my red spinel, you can see the difference in color. I asked him if he had larger stones, but he didn't and doesn't think he can get any more this color.

_25786.jpg

mahenges3.jpg

mahenges.jpg

_25787.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Love the huge Oval at the bottom & the cushion right above it :love: My teenage son asked to use my computer for a minute while I had this page open to your picture. He asked if ladies really wear all of those rings at the same time & thinks it's really cool :bigsmile:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

Wow!!!!! I love your collection!

Any suggestions where I should look for a stone that colour, it's yummy! :love: :love:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
cellentani|1327849813|3114171 said:
Okay sapphirecats, this is for you! Can't remember how many carats this was, but I was looking through a parcel of smaller Mahenge spinels for standout color or matched pairs.

Cellantini!! :love: :appl: wow! What a juicy handful!!i would so love to have two of those yummy yummy stones! Wow!i would have loved seeing those in person!

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Tuffy|1318307793|3037533 said:
The happy trio

That thud was me fainting! Wow!!! What a beautiful bunch of rings!! :love: :love:

I so want a mahenge spinel.....got to save my pennies. I have a spinel ring but have no idea if it's a Mahenge, I bought it long ago on the bistro. The girl I bought it from said it was bought during end of WWII by her father in burma. Is that where "mahenge" is?

Duh. I'll take a pic to post

_25797.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirecats|1420420883|3811842 said:
Tuffy|1318307793|3037533 said:
The happy trio

That thud was me fainting! Wow!!! What a beautiful bunch of rings!! :love: :love:

I so want a mahenge spinel.....got to save my pennies. I have a spinel ring but have no idea if it's a Mahenge, I bought it long ago on the bistro. The girl I bought it from said it was bought during end of WWII by her father in burma. Is that where "mahenge" is?

Duh. I'll take a pic to post

Mahenge spinels were discovered recently, so it's definitely not a Mahenge spinel.

"Mahenge" refers to a region in Tanzania, Africa, hence the name "Mahenge" spinel.

There are red spinels from Burma, as well as rubies. It could be natural ruby, spinel or synthetic. You need to send it to a reputable lab to make sure.

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Hi :wavey:

It is spinel, genuine, my jeweler has checked it out. It's a lovely hot pinkish red. I love the color a lot! I have a rhodolite garnet that is a gorgeous hot pink type of red, but I really want a spinel. I love this thread, love all the jury colors!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Not trying to make this thread all about me, so this is the last picture I will post, but this one shows the subtle color differences more accurately (though the Prima looks a bit more purplish here than what my eye sees IRL).
NKOTB, do you have any pictures of the underside of the gallery and shank for your JuliaB setting? Her prices are very good, and I am wondering how much gold is used? Is the hank hallowed out or thin at all? I love her designs.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1420571453|3812598 said:
Not trying to make this thread all about me, so this is the last picture I will post, but this one shows the subtle color differences more accurately (though the Prima looks a bit more purplish here than what my eye sees IRL).
NKOTB, do you have any pictures of the underside of the gallery and shank for your JuliaB setting? Her prices are very good, and I am wondering how much gold is used? Is the hank hallowed out or thin at all? I love her designs.

Here you go. It's not a hefty ring, but I'm okay with that.

_25827.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, NKOTB. Your ring is one of my faves on PS.

I wonder where the Mahenge **** thread went...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1420599258|3812806 said:
Thanks, NKOTB. Your ring is one of my faves on PS.

I wonder where the Mahenge **** thread went...

Thank you!

Ahem. Yes! Please keep it coming, people!! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results