shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your under 1ct gemstones!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m interested to see how people set and wear their smaller gemstones — under 1ct lets say. So please show me!

Set gems preferred for inspiration but I’d also love to hear your plans for setting any loose stones you have under 1ct too.

Pics are a must!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
@glitterata , this is what I need to do with my tiny pink diamond (0.28 ct). Where did you find the setting?

Ebay. It was a ring that came with a very ugly center diamond. I bought it from blurry photos; it was a good price for just the setting. 15 years ago it was easy to find nice old settings reasonably priced on ebay. It's much harder now, but not impossible. You have to spend a lot of time combing through listings, and you might have to take a risk on blurry photos.

Here's my thread about the ring when I was trying to decide whether to replace the ugly diamond:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ebay. It was a ring that came with a very ugly center diamond. I bought it from blurry photos; it was a good price for just the setting. 15 years ago it was easy to find nice old settings reasonably priced on ebay. It's much harder now, but not impossible. You have to spend a lot of time combing through listings, and you might have to take a risk on blurry photos.

Here's my thread about the ring when I was trying to decide whether to replace the ugly diamond:

Oh, and a further thread about that ring, where I was considering a different sapphire from the one I ended up with: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ep-and-set-or-return-and-keep-looking.259940/
And the thread where I found the sapphire and set it in the ring:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Mrs_Strizzle that is lovely! The stones are large so do they lay flat on your arm? Details.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs_Strizzle that is lovely! The stones are large so do they lay flat on your arm? Details.

No, they do not stay flat, they turn over all day. Honestly part of me regrets setting them in this style of bracelet because of this and also I'm super paranoid I'm going to catch it on something and lose it. So I don't wear it all the time like I envisioned in the beginning.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mine from Jeff W, it is small compared with my more recent commissions with him, however, I could not let it go as the colour popped at me when he showed me the rough!

balingo-ruby-pink-sapphire-0-60ct-4-70-x-4-70mm-png.908303

As it is symmetrical, I am thinking of setting it at 45deg (the diagonal length is 6.6458mm according to my calculator :lol-2:) in a band with two MRB LGDs on each side, probably around 4mm in size.

The band will be at least 7mm wide and will provide good finger coverage on my left hand ring finger.

DK :))

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some ideas from me:

I've been showing this one everywhere lately so it's hardly a surprise I'm shoving it in here as well. :lol: Centre stone is .9ct, it's designed by NutellaKitty, who, by the way, has an abundance of designs that are suitable for bright small stones.

This one is juuuust a smidgen over a carat and sits at 1.03, but I'd say it fits - a bit shallower pavilion and it could be under as well. Bought preloved from another PSer, Stuller setting. While the stone is small, it's saturated and holds its own even as a solitaire.

I also have this dainty emerald pendant that was designed entirely by my husband. It sports a .6ct emerald as the iris.

I'm also very partial to two other ideas to set small stones. First is @Eli25's stackers:

937af514-2fe3-4f99-86cc-a83011191048-jpeg.933773

And for even smaller stones I like the idea of having them set in a ring together, creating a colourful design, like this:

1701880211411.jpeg
(Found here if anyone's interested.)

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Most of mine are teeny:)
Emerald 0.3ct
IMG_3028.jpeg

Spinel 0.37ct
IMG_3203.jpeg

Cat’s eye 0.8ct
IMG_2175.jpeg IMG_6722.jpeg

This is a cheater because the black spinel is 1.1ct. You could go a little smaller though. The pink one is 0.6ct.
IMG_1621.jpeg

I have more unset tinies, one of them a 0.4ct red spinel that I’m having vague ideas for.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed @Ibrakeforpossums, i love @Timor s collection and it really shows how smaller gems can shine, especially in creative settings.

Actually I am really loving all the gems in this thread! Stunning. I would love to own some of the BIG 3 one day, but larger specimens are out of reach. I am feeling encouraged to aim for smaller gems.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
.50 Muzo emerald (Coscuez mine).
Cell phone camera won't capture the true color, it has bluish modifier.
IMG_20231208_124904215.jpg

Here are two sapphires and a ruby.

IMG_20231208_131742453~2.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000, I love all those rings and the wonderful settings. You have a whole wardrobe!
The emerald is probably my favorite.
And that ruby is more red than pink. What's with this dumb cell phone camera! (Oh, I forgot, it's not a REAL camera, as DH says)
Like most of us, my jewelry box overflowing.....:lol-2:

Timor

Shiny_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums @dreamer_dachsie Thank you so much! I think smaller gems go better with my (very casual) wardrobe. I can’t say they are really better for my wallet because I end up buying and setting too many…
@stracci2000 love your collection! My favorites are the 5mm sapphire and the emerald.
And I jealously admire Eli’s stacker :D

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums @dreamer_dachsie Thank you so much! I think smaller gems go better with my (very casual) wardrobe. I can’t say they are really better for my wallet because I end up buying and setting too many…
@stracci2000 love your collection! My favorites are the 5mm sapphire and the emerald.

Yanno you make a good point about wearability. I only have two rings right now and both are substantial by my standards (2.5cttw three stone diamond er and 4ct star sapphire with side stones) and I love wearing them when I go to work or out to dinner. But I don’t wear them when I’m just bopping around because they are a little much. Some more subtle and wearable jewelry would be nice for that!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just seeing this thread for some reason! Love all the small but powerful gemstones here!

Here are some ideas from me:

I'm also very partial to two other ideas to set small stones. First is @Eli25's stackers:

937af514-2fe3-4f99-86cc-a83011191048-jpeg.933773

Thank you for sharing my stackers and the kind words about them, @Avondale & @Timor ! ::)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cant seem to add text to my photos above. This is a less than 1 antique sapphire, un-certed, no idea about it, the streaks are natural inclusions and a pink light reflection. It’s in the original platinum and diamond setting. Knife edge shank, very delicate, worn down fishtail prongs might have looked better long ago, I really like the setting because it is very lightweight and low profile and the platinum feels smooth and everything looks bright. Whoever made this ring made everything work together well.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant seem to add text to my photos above. This is a less than 1 antique sapphire, un-certed, no idea about it, the streaks are natural inclusions and a pink light reflection. It’s in the original platinum and diamond setting. Knife edge shank, very delicate, worn down fishtail prongs might have looked better long ago, I really like the setting because it is very lightweight and low profile and the platinum feels smooth and everything looks bright. Whoever made this ring made everything work together well.

Oooo I love this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results