shape
carat
color
clarity

She put me in charge (Vintage e-ring)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2007 7:28:33 PM
Author: decodelighted
For those who don''t follow linkies ... here ''tis.
This is my favorite so far out of that style of ring - maybe Edwardian - I don''t know. I tried on many, many rings in this style - the problem I had was some of them ended up looking sort of cheaply made when on. It could have just been me. I did try on some nicer versions but they were priced way out of our range.

Israel Rose does reproduction rings - I think you could have something custom made if you really liked a style - but that is risky and I don''t know what their return policy is. I feel in love with a repro Art Deco ring with an Asher cut diamond but it was a repro and in the end I wanted either a modern ring or an actual antique.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE
30.gif
that Leon from yellowsparkles! The Divisi is also really great.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker, that price is likely because it is an "O" color and "I" clarity old cut...Very yellow. If you like em yellow and/or wanted an old cut...looks pretty but I wonder what it looks like in person...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed the yellow, but I thought the white halo might accentuate the color in a positive way. I really don''t mind color in old cut diamonds at all. But the I clarity could be an issue for me, personally, but I''d have to ask him what the clarity characteristics are.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fay Cullen doesn''t have an exchange policy. Have you checked out antique engagement rings.com?
You can select a setting and have a diamond put in elsewhere.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I meant return policy. Oh and I have an OEC center stone in my e-ring.
My ring is from www.langantiques.com
We picked it out in person.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 8:49:52 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh my gosh! That Leon Mege ring is beyond perfect! I can''t believe the price on this one!

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=320

I love this ring too. The color probably wouldn''t bother me in this setting either and it would be worth a converstion with Leon if someone were interested. I just can''t imagine that Leon would spend the time making a setting for a stone he didn''t think was special.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
This ones nice http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1651

Oooooh http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1683

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
I like that halo leon ring also. A couple things though. I am concerned about the color and i know my girlfriend doesnt want to ring to be to big and bulky. Those halo settings can be pretty ostentatious. Hmmm. I think I am leaning towards the combo from Whiteflash recommended by cinnamon013:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Divisi--by-WF_1068.htm

My only fear with this one is that it sits kind of high off the finger, and my girlfriend has said before that she doesnt like that. All these great rings, keep em coming guys!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Personally, that faux antique on WF looks like the craftsmanship isn't very good. Shoddy looking to me. And yes, it sticks up too high. Honestly, with all the suggestions that have been given on this thread, if you still aren't sure, I really think you should take your gf shopping to pick out a 2-3 "final choices" and leave the final decision up to you, if that's what you both want to do. For me, I'd never want someone else picking out my ering because I'm just too picky and there are so many factors and variables with each setting: the prongs, how wide the shank is and how it feels on the finger, the side stones, how high the ring sits on the finger, etc. It is impossible to know the answers to these questions unless one tries on the ring in person. Which is why I've been a supporter of taking the woman shopping until you narrow it down to either "the one", or 2-3 that she loves equally. Just my two cents. Let us know what you finally decide on.

ETA: I didn't see your link to the above ring site...I like that one heads and tails above the WF setting. But! Does she want/love a princess cut? Because people seem to love them or hate them. For example, I love square cut emeralds/asschers but I dont care for princess cuts at all. Now if she loves princess cuts, that ring sits very low on the hand so it would be a good match for that criteria. Just make sure anything you get online has some sort of return policy!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
STOP. THE. PRESSES.

Click here

This is for you, man! It''s freaking CALLING your name!
2.gif

eugenewoodring.jpg

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
I agree completely, and I would love to just leave it up to her. Unfortunately for my stress level she honestly wants me to pick something out. She is not picky by nature, and trusts my taste. She also doesnt want to ruin the surprise. So its up to me.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
deco to the rescue! That''s very nice, simple yet elegant...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are other views of the Doyle & Doyle ring ... it''s a G color .78 Old European cut in a platinum setting -- under 4K!!!

PS -- I''ve never bought from them but I think Kristydarling & Wallermama went there in person one time -- maybe?? Widget, did you go there too?

otherviewseugene.jpg

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
I like the simplicity of it, but would the engraving and detail be visible from more than a foot away? I fear that ring will look like a generic solitaire to the casual viewer. Remember, the goal was uniqueness. What do you guys think?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find, Deco. Such a delicious looking ring.
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What I think is that you need to go out and look at rings in person. We could be here all year posting photos and get nowhere...Go shoppingwith a camera and then post what you like and we can give feedback...Sounds like a plan!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 1:22:27 PM
Author: eugenewood
I like the simplicity of it, but would the engraving and detail be visible from more than a foot away? I fear that ring will look like a generic solitaire to the casual viewer. Remember, the goal was uniqueness. What do you guys think?
I can''t tell if you''re making this harder than it needs to be or not. IMO -- "Unique" from a couple feet away is kinda gonna mean "Ugly". MOST if not ALL jewelry needs to be viewed close up in order to be appreciated. Especially if the stone is under 1 carat. "Unique" doesn''t have to SCREAM "Unique" ... it can just be "differant than the norm" -- and ANY of the rings that have been posted fall into that catergory because "the norm" is a simple Tiffany style polished setting with a modern cut round brilliant stone.

In the case of the ring I posted -- the diamond will look QUITE different than the round brilliants most people are used to seeing. Even from a distance. Rounds probably all seem about the same to you - but you''re not a "jewelry afficianado"
2.gif

Differences this ring has from "the norm"

a) cut of stone
b) shape of band (squared rather than rounded or "comfort fit")
c) patina''d & engraved rather than SHINY & POLISHED
d) two tiny baguettes inset ... rather than prong set tapered baquettes as in more modern rings.
e) lower set than most "modern rings"

That''s just my opinion -- but you should also note that poster Cinnamon has decided AGAINST the Divisi for her own ring upon further consideration. Ya might wanna look up her thread & see where she stands now before going down that path yourself.
1.gif

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
I wish photos of a hand wearing the rnig from 3 feet away were required to sell a ring online. That would make it way easier. The closeups dont give any indication of what it looks like.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2007 1:36:13 PM
Author: eugenewood
I wish photos of a hand wearing the rnig from 3 feet away were required to sell a ring online.
OH EUGENE!!!
23.gif
Please reconsider your criteria. THIS could go so horribly wrong! It''s not a WATCH you''re shopping for ... it''s a teensy tiny RING. Unless you''re looking at 3 carats... 5 carats ... they ALL are gonna kinda look the same at three feet unless they are HIDEOUS MONSTROSITIES.
32.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Exactly deco. Eugene, I think you have unrealistic expectations on the size ring you''re looking at. It''s not going to look "fascinating" from 3 feet unless it''s over 2-3 carats at best. GO SHOPPING. In REAL LIFE! Stop looking online until you find the style you like. And for the love of god, take your GF shopping. Tell her you dont have enough information yet (because you dont) and she needs to go with you.

OK, I''m out. I''m exhausted.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Calm down everyone. Its perfectly reasonable to want a ring to be unique. Also, I am aware it is not a watch. Also, I have done quite a bit of shopping in stores. My girlfriend and I have browsed engagement rings together many times. It was during this time that she and I both realized that the boring solitaire look was not for her (because that was basically all they had). Also, she wants me to pick the ring myself. Therefore I went to the Internet in hopes of finding something more unique. Thanks again for the comments, keep the suggestions coming. I have narrowed it down to 3.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Love that ring Deco posted. And I agree with surfgirl, if your girl likes antique styles, I just don''t think the WF cuts it. It just doesn''t look that antique.

I still vote for the ring I posted about pages ago, or Deco''s. I think the best bet in getting a beautiful, antique-looking piece is to get an actual antique piece.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
*jumps into the discussion* I kind of like the lacy Edwardian look, like this one.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally don't care for princesses AT ALL. Especially if you're looking for something antiquey. A princess is as far from "antique" as you could get.

The one Deco posted however, FABULOUS! Love it!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
If your gf is like me or most other women I know, her friends won''t be viewing her ring from 3 ft away. They''ll grab her hand and want a close up look at that thing. From 3 ft they might notice a flash, but close up they''ll notice all of the intriciacies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results