shape
carat
color
clarity

She put me in charge (Vintage e-ring)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Heres the deal... I am planning to propose in the next month or so. So, I asked her whether she would want to pick out her ring, or be surprised and she (to my surprise) said that she wanted "to see what I would pick for her". I have a budget of around $3k (give or take a couple hundred). I''ve scoured all the usual suspects on the web for a vintage (or vintage-looking) engagement ring. Alot of our friends have been getting married lately, and we both agree that their modern-looking rings (simple band with round diamond) are pretty boring. I believe I''ve finally located a ring that has a setting that I really like:

http://www.faycullen.com/engagement_rings/800/d625r1d.html

Is it worth it to try and request the setting only, and find a stone elsewhere? Is that price wildly outragrous? What potential pitfalls am i missing with that ring/cut/vendor? Help is appreciated, I really dont want to screw this up.
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eeek - the quality of the work on that setting is somewhat lacking from the pictures I saw. The problem with FC is that in the price range you're looking at, you can return it, but minus a $200 restocking fee. If you love that setting, I'd see if one of the PS vendors could replicate it in white gold for you. See what the quotes are. It [a custom job] might take up a good bit of your budget though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 7:46:16 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Eeek - the quality of the work on that setting is somewhat lacking from the pictures I saw. The problem with FC is that in the price range you''re looking at, you can return it, but minus a $200 restocking fee. If you love that setting, I''d see if one of the PS vendors could replicate it in white gold for you. See what the quotes are. It [a custom job] might take up a good bit of your budget though.

Totally agreed.

There are a few things you might want to check into:

-Mark at ERD has a great selection of antique replica settings and also a great reputation in picking diamonds. Check his selection here:
http://engagementringsdirect.com/jewelry.php/shop/Engagement%20Rings/step/1/section/Engagement%20Rings/collection/Antique%20Ring%20Collection

You could get one of the gorgeous replica settings on the bottom for about $1,000 and then get a great .5 carat stone from Mark to go in it.

-antiqueengagementrings.com has some gorgeous stuff too, but I have never personally worked with them.

-While I don''t love their return policy either, new york estate jewelry has some nice looking stuff in your price range too.

That ring from FC just looks shoddy in my opinion...I would never pay that much for a ring like that.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean in some of the close-up shots. Yeah, although i''m open to other settings, i have browsed thousands of rings online and that one was the first to strike me.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Yeah, none of those ERD rings do anything for me. Also, a lot of them are over my price without the center diamond. At my age and career stage, i really can''t afford to drop 6k on a ring, as much as i''d like to. Whats the rule of thumb on ring price? 1 months salary, 2 months?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think perhaps you need to do a bit more shopping with your gf first before deciding? Because you should probably determine if you want an actual antique stone and setting, or just antique style setting but modern cut stone, etc. If the former, you're choices are more limited because there are only so many actual vintage stones/rings out there, though you might want to look at some "estate jewelry" stores in your local area. If you want a vintage look but having the stone and/or setting be actual antiques then you'll have more options. You can buy or have a vintage style setting made up and find a modern cut stone to go into it.

Check out singlestone.com. They have plenty of actual vintage rings...There are alot of sites out there but you might want to decide on the above before going further as it will determine where to shop for your ring and/or stone!

ETA: I wouldn't worry about the "How much salary" issue in terms of spending. That's just a DeBeers marketing ploy...Figure out what YOU can afford and go from there. You have to be comfortable with the amount you'll spend...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 8:00:51 PM
Author: eugenewood
Yeah, none of those ERD rings do anything for me. Also, a lot of them are over my price without the center diamond. At my age and career stage, i really can''t afford to drop 6k on a ring, as much as i''d like to. Whats the rule of thumb on ring price? 1 months salary, 2 months?

No salary rule, whatever you can afford, it''s NOT worth going into debt over. There are quite a few on the bottom and second page that are only around $1,000 for the setting which leaves plenty for the center stone itself. But if you don''t like em, you don''t like em.

Check HERE there are quite a few in your price range.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I know. I am nowhere near an actual purchase. Thats why I came here!
1.gif
. I have already looked at all the rings on singlestone.com, and nothing did it for me. Like I said, I''ve seen all the rings on all the usual suspects. Maybe I need to increase my budget...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That site neatfreak linked is really nice but I remember them having a lousy return policy so be aware of that if you''re ordering a ring online...If it were me, I''d want ample time to have it appraised and approved by my FI...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 8:06:45 PM
Yeah, I know. I am nowhere near an actual purchase. Thats why I came here!
1.gif
. I have already looked at all the rings on singlestone.com, and nothing did it for me. Like I said, I''ve seen all the rings on all the usual suspects. Maybe I need to increase my budget...

Only increase your budget if you can afford it.

No offense, but the one ring you picked is kind of masculine looking. I am wondering if you know what TYPE of antique rings your GF likes/wants? Remember, this is about what she wants, not what you like.

Worth asking her specifics because she might want something totally different from what you like.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
We have talked about it quite a bit actually, and I know she trusts my taste. She just feels like if I make the final decision about it, that makes it more special or something. Maybe its a test
2.gif
. She also digs the vintage deco, nouveau, edwardian type rings. I appreciate the masculine comment, thats a great point. I should probably pick something I like, and go a bit more delicate. I tend to be really specific about my tastes (I am an artist by trade) and am convinced that I''ll "know it when I see it".

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
In my searches I''ve seen a lot of this type of ring:

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=2739&category_id=3

While I find the detail work interesting, I can''t stop myself from mentally referring to it as the "class ring" look. Can I get a woman''s perspective on the completely enclosed, thick setting look (i''m sure theres a technical term). To me it looks like something out of a Jostens catalog.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
This site has a ton of antique settings- http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/weddingjewelry.html
It looks like they have an okay return policy, although I don''t know anything about them.

There is also this site- http://antiqueengagementrings.com/
Their engagement rings are listed according to price, so you probably want to jump a couple of pages in. Good return policy.

Like someone else said, you will have a lot more options if you want a modern cut stone, but an older cut may give you the more unique look. I would have a more specific conversation with your GF about what she wants.

E B

Ideal_Rock

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 8:16:53 PM
We have talked about it quite a bit actually, and I know she trusts my taste. She just feels like if I make the final decision about it, that makes it more special or something. Maybe its a test
2.gif
. She also digs the vintage deco, nouveau, edwardian type rings. I appreciate the masculine comment, thats a great point. I should probably pick something I like, and go a bit more delicate. I tend to be really specific about my tastes (I am an artist by trade) and am convinced that I''ll ''know it when I see it''.

I personally like a more delicate look, and there are so many great antique settings with beautiful, delicate details that I would go that direction. But it''s not my ring, it''s hers!
2.gif
You should get whatever you think she will like.

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Ebree, I saw that one in my travels. It is really nice, maybe a tad plain for my taste. What are everyone elses thoughts on the colored side stones?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Eugene,

Where do you live? I can recommend a good place, but it is in LA (no online presence) but maybe someone else can recommend a place in your hometown, or at least driving distance.

RZ

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
Depends on your GF. If it''s just a small accent in her favorite color, I doubt it will matter, or if it''s her favorite gemstone. Outside of that, I thnk color is risky especially if it''s going to be a big, prominent ring. I wouldn''t want it to clash with what I wear or be a color I''m iffy on (I am not a yellow/orange fan for example). However others aren''t as picky and specific as I am =)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I really recommend antiqueengagementrings.com. That''s who we went with when we wanted a special and unique e-ring but didn''t have a ton of money.
We had a budget of $2400 and we were able to get an original 1930''s platinum e-ring with a gorgeous 1/2 + carat diamond for less than our budget. My DH picked it and I really love how the ring is something that appealed to him as well as me. It''s simpler and more architectural than I would have picked on my own, but that''s part of it''s charm.

There a couple nice ones up right now. This one is under your budget, platinum, an original antique, and has a really lovely looking diamond. I personally like the design too.

5.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think with most girls, delicate is better. But only you know your girlfriend!!! The one that Indie posted is GREAT. I really like that one, and it's unique without being too over the top.

Colored sidestones are a gamble, but if she has a color she LOVES or you know she really likes sapphires, etc. it could be really special and a great choice.

My suggestions would be:

1. Go delicate if possible. Get detail with unique sidestones, engraving, etc. but try to avoid anything big or masculine looking.

2. When in doubt, simpler is better. I too think many of the modern rings are "boring" but that DOESN'T mean I wanted something over the top, just something with a vintage vibe.

I'll show you some of my favorites in your price range. We can also help you a bit more if you can describe your girlfriend to us. Her style, interests, etc. can all help us help you!

ON THIS PAGE I LOVE the first, third, and fourth rings.

For colored sidestones I really like the two on THIS page.

On THIS page, I love the third one down and second from bottom.

Hope that helps narrow down some choices! ALL of those I posted (and I really love the one Indie posted too) would be completely lovely choices and perfectly within budget.

E B

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak,

Your links aren''t working, at least for me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 9:24:37 PM
Author: EBree
neatfreak,

Your links aren''t working, at least for me.

Hmmmm, they''re working for me!

The links were to antiquengagementrings.com, and they were for pages 5,6, and 7 of the "engagement rings" section in that order.

Hope that helps!

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
rockzilla, I live in the Phoenix area.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I do really like that one with the sapphire side diamonds.

In response to the question about my gf. She is definately a "girly girl". Ex-dancer (ballet and tap). Not particularly into art, but likes the more ornamental detailed jewelry. I do know she doesn''t want a ring that sits up too high off of her finger. You guys are great for helping me out.

P.S. Eugene is not my real name. I''m trying to be sneaky here!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that link Ebree gave has a ton of options Eugene...With regards to the domed top style, I think the one you linked has too much metalwork and not enough diamonds. There are some in your price range on the other site (Ebree's) that are domed but have alot of diamonds on the dome, which softens the look and makes it more feminine.
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=5

If you decide on something there, take a look at their wedding bands as well since they have a vintage feel as well.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I may be way off base but have you looked at Knox Jewelers? Some of their White Gold jewelry is pretty intricate & vintage looking. They also do custom work. http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/

They may be a little out of budget, or not to your taste, but here''s a sample that were under $1,000 for the setting:

For $870

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=317&action=show_detail

For $990

Halos:
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=319&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=1086&action=show_detail

Here are 2 ones that are really up to taste:

Ribbons:

$990

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=711&action=show_detail

"Fancy Pink" but I''m sure they could do other colors total ring under 1,300!:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=1030&action=show_detail

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Okay this may be completely off, but here's a different slant. Take a look at this site: Niwaka

The rings are definitely different, artistic and graceful, with much smaller diamonds than is the norm here on PS. I personally ADORE them but you have to like that sort of thing.

I am not suggesting you buy from them, but rather that you could easily have something made within your budget from one of the PS vendors. They are not antique-y at all but Japanese in ethic.

Just thought that if you are looking for something different this might appeal.

a

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I adore those rings! If our budget had been just a few hundred more I would have asked for one of those. However they take a while to make so they don''t really fit into his time frame.
7.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
By the way Indie I thought the one you linked to was a winner!

a

eugenewood

Rough_Rock
Yeah, those Niwaka rings are cool, but too modern looking for our taste. I guess I will just continue to scour the online antique ring dealers, and bring anything I find back here for comments. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results