shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Journey for Tycoon Cut Diamond

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by the_mother_thing, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:41 AM.

1. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Feb 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    The tabs are my preference, for sure. Visually, they just look more pleasing to me, and that would allow more light into the diamond. The only reason for considering the semi-bezel option is the girdle. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read on here how - with very thin girdles - a bezel is recommended to protect the diamond. I know David said it’d be fine, and it’s not that I doubt his assessment; rather, it’s assessing my own comfort/risk level with it that I need to wrap my head around, I suppose.

Lykame likes this.
  2. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Feb 11, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    Totally understand about that risk assessment. My preference with MRBs is four prongs but I went with six prongs for safety and girdle protection. I don't regret it. In that case, can you have a fiddle with some sort of very thin full bezelled milgrain option? I've had a look at opened gallery bezels and the bezels are always quite thick. Hmm.

3. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Feb 11, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    I am thinking if anyone can either do a very fine full bezel or some sort of clever tab prong design that still protects the girdle, it would be CvB.

For example, this setting has prongs but also has a sort of 'underhalo' that looks like it might offer additional girdle protection. I've looked at various full bezels and most of them look quite chunky. The thinnest I found by CvB was this one. To me that still looks like it would hide the pavilion even if the detailing was less/more open.

4. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Feb 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    That is kinda what I was talking about with a ‘faux bezel’ ... almost like a very thin solid rim that sits just underneath the girdle all around, but then have either claws, tabs or dot-style prongs protruding up & holding the diamond in place. I don’t think your second link is right though (goes to the same ring as the first link).

Here’s an example I saved that has a very thin bezel like I was thinking, at least from the face-down appearance. And I’d be good with a half/semi-bezel being that thin if it’s doable/reasonable.
    A20F564F-391B-41EA-89EF-4988ADBD87C5.jpeg
    And I think this is the same ring (found via a different search tool/app), but I mocked it up to make the bezel not come as far down the front. Of course, I wouldn’t have it set that high, as the diamond is only 4.23mm deep, but hopefully you get the idea.
    E2FB2607-1DCB-42EB-ADCC-A8A218EB7175.jpeg

5. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Feb 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Sorry, I meant this setting... hopefully that works.

I had a think about the faux bezel that's lower down with prongs - but I would imagine that must surely cover even more of the pavilion if you use something that's a full stretch of metal. If you had swooping prongs you could provide a buffer for the girdle, and barring that I think you would need an actual bezel to hold the girdle.

The other thing I was thinking was some sort of halo with an air line and prongs holding the central stone. The air line would have to be pretty significant however and I'm not sure from what particular angles your pavilion fire is most easily seen and whether an air line would be conducive to still seeing it?

6. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Feb 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    Here is an example of a faux bezel I was thinking about, borrowed from @pearaffair ‘s thread so I don’t have additional views of this ring, but it looks to be a CvB as well, given the set-up. I think I’d aim for it to be even thinner/closer to the diamond than this, if possible. The diamond kind of sits just inside that lip and is held in place by prongs or ‘buttons’ in the examples I’ve seen.
    3ECE4A40-4A59-4CD0-8837-E2F8F6E6928E.jpeg

Lykame likes this.
  7. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Feb 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    It's beautiful but I think the pavilion will be completely lost. Perhaps @pearaffair might offer additional views? :kiss2:

8. the_mother_thing
    Ideal_Rock

by the_mother_thing » Feb 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    It wasn’t her ring; rather, one she’d posted among other inspiration settings for her marquise reset.

To pull off a faux bezel will require a very thin (from the north/south view) bezel-band just at & below the girdle in order to still see/appreciate the pavilion, given this diamond is not deep. It’ll really just have to be a design & bench consideration when the time comes, determine how do-able it may be, etc.

Lykame likes this.
  9. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Feb 11, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    Oh, ok. Sorry. :geek2:

Well fingers crossed it can all be done in a way that makes you happy from a design point of view and a pavilion exposure point of view. Keep us updated. =)2